Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,002 members, 7,806,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:56 AM

Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days (30535 Views)

Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? / Do I Have To Pay Rent After Being Issued A Quit Notice?” / Sudden One Month Quit Notice: Please We Need Advice On Solution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by elbukaze(m): 6:14pm On Jun 25, 2016
Good Evening fellow Nairalanders, my
Landlord gave me 7 days quit notice to vacate his
building a day after my house rent expired, I
was hoping to renew the rent on Monday,

Please I want to reply him telling him that I
pay rent annually and therefore can't be given
a week to vacate his building, please can any
lawyer in the house help me to compose such
a letter.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Ezemann(m): 6:24pm On Jun 25, 2016
End time landlord shocked

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by MRBrownJ: 11:28pm On Jun 25, 2016
did you tell him beforehand that you were gonna pay the rent on monday?! go see him and explain that the rent will be paid asap

3 Likes

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by brunofarad(m): 6:52am On Jun 26, 2016
Interesting

What does he mean by 7days ?
It is not done my brother.....

Unless there's more to the story.....
Because humans are always fond of telling only one side of a story.......THEIR OWN SIDE tho

Check out my PROFILE PIC
And LIKE IT

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by RichYoungNigger(m): 6:52am On Jun 26, 2016
Without reading the story i knew it was in Nigeria.

Here, it takes 1 year and 2 months to evict a tenant from your house, and those 1 year and 2 months is without rent.

Telling your tenant to vacate within 1 week only happens in a lawless country

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by LuckyLadolce(m): 6:52am On Jun 26, 2016
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by obembet(f): 6:54am On Jun 26, 2016
then look for another place now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Nobody: 6:54am On Jun 26, 2016
Go get a good lawyer
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Zinny1990(f): 6:54am On Jun 26, 2016
shocked
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by DesChyko: 6:54am On Jun 26, 2016
You didn't give details of your tenancy agreement. Was there any clause like 'one-year certain' or 'eviction if you do so-so'?

If there isn't, you have a case. Reply the lawyer, telling him that under Tenancy Laws, you are entitled to six months notice as long as you pay yearly. If he plays stubborn, get a lawyer.

27 Likes

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by edlion57(m): 6:54am On Jun 26, 2016
Before i gv u my little advise. ..
Do u hv the tenancy agreement
Do u hv the copies of ur payment slip
My brother if u hv all dis go and sleep ...he is talkn nonsense. ..and plz meet him first and hear form him and besides don't renew ur house rent yet

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by metorichmond(m): 6:55am On Jun 26, 2016
Sue him
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by bastien: 6:56am On Jun 26, 2016
Go alausa go complain

3 Likes

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Bibors(m): 6:56am On Jun 26, 2016
Lawyers will usually charge a fee for what you are asking for, besides they know what best to tell your landlord's lawyer and not what you have just asked for.

1 Like

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by purplesummer(f): 6:56am On Jun 26, 2016
Allow him to serve you the court summons then you meet him in court. Notice to Quit and an Owner's Intention to Apply to Recover Possession (otherwise called 7days notice) are two separate documents which should be served separately. From the snapshot, I can see he merged both the quit notice and 7days notice together. That is very wrong.

By the way, did you sign any tenancy agreement before you moved in? If so, did you read the terms of the agreement?

20 Likes

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Funjosh(m): 6:57am On Jun 26, 2016
Go and see him first and here from him, If he still insist on you leaving within seven days just get yourself a lawyer also and discuss your case with him.

Though some tenant can be so heartless likewise also landlord so I won't blame any of u now.

3 Likes

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by uchpanila(m): 6:58am On Jun 26, 2016
please get a good lawyer, there's nothing like seven days notice. it's just wickedness

4 Likes

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Funjosh(m): 6:59am On Jun 26, 2016
brunofarad:
Interesting

What does he mean by 7days ?
It is not done my brother.....

Unless there's more to the story.....
Because humans are always fond of telling only one side of a story.......THEIR OWN SIDE tho

That's my thought exactly
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by seunlayi(m): 6:59am On Jun 26, 2016
*Get ready for war
*get a good lawyer
*Make your friends that are uniform men visit you (so that your landlord week know that you can't be harassed
*Start looking for another house because no matter how long, you must leave

6 Likes

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by tahir01(m): 7:01am On Jun 26, 2016
shouldn't it be 6 months? What am I saying sef? I don't own a house. OP go get ur self a lawyer.
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by uchpanila(m): 7:02am On Jun 26, 2016
purplesummer:
Allow him to serve you the court process then you meet him in court

all they will do again is get another court order from the court to throw the guy out and police will do the rest. that's Nigeria for you, very lawless
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by joceey(m): 7:02am On Jun 26, 2016
bastien:
Go alausa go complain

Alausa ke angry that is Nasarawa state not Lagos state oga

4 Likes

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by nyabingi(m): 7:02am On Jun 26, 2016
The Lagos state tenement law prohibits such.
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by shamsuRana(m): 7:02am On Jun 26, 2016
elbukaze:

a letter.

Thank you.

Was there any tenancy agreement signed? What is the content of the agreement as regards period to serve a quit notice? If there is an express term in the agreement to this effect,then you may have a case.If not the implied terms take over.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by vcente(m): 7:02am On Jun 26, 2016
i believe the op has a case because even if there was a clause like "certain"the landlord will be obliged to give him notice before the expiration of the rent

1 Like

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Mitsurugi(m): 7:03am On Jun 26, 2016
Hello, please check your Tenancy Agreement. If it has the words TERM CERTAIN then I'm sorry by law all the landlord is required to give you is seven days. If the words don't feature then as a yearly tenant you are entitled to six months notice. Even if you are a tenant at will. There are decided cases up to the Supreme Court on this issue. You should have had a lawyer read your agreement before signing. It's usually a land mine set by lawyers for ignorant tenants. I rescued a lady recently from signing such an agreement recently. The best you can do is plead with your landlord for an extended time which he may generously give. If not he is backed by law. Check your Tenancy Agreement.

8 Likes

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by balash(m): 7:03am On Jun 26, 2016
My brother Nassarawa is very far but I believe it has to do with tribal issues too because I can see ur name is Festus or thereabout and obviously the house owner might be an hausa man too

Well if you can get a good lawyer now as you have paying your rents regularly, the fact that he even sent you this, I congratulate you my brother, if you get a sound lawyer, you can stay in a free house till when 'YOU' feel like leaving

GOOD SOUND NON TRIBAL LAWYER
(better still get a lawyer who is of your tribe, use your language tell am say them want cheat you ni, leave the rest for him

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by driand(m): 7:03am On Jun 26, 2016
elbukaze:

a letter.

Thank you.
since you are ready to pay your rent on Monday, meaning you have the cash with you I believe you can get another apartment withing another one week if you get an agent instead of paying a lawyer or digging it out with your landlord... Just get another apartment and leave peacefully and I assure you as you leave you leave all your pains and sorrows behind, it's well.....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by anniebabe(f): 7:03am On Jun 26, 2016
embarassed
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Elinob(m): 7:04am On Jun 26, 2016
Pls if jux ave sum cash jux locate urself
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by stagger: 7:05am On Jun 26, 2016
He is to give you 6 months notice, then 7 days notice. Get a lawyer to get an injunction to counter that order. The judge who gave such an order can get into trouble for it. Petition the NJC.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Architectural Designs / Top 10 Most Expensive Homes Around The World / Container Movement In Lagos To Any Part Of The Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.