Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,879 members, 7,802,841 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:01 PM

Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? (25571 Views)

BODMAS MISUNDERSTANDING: Whose Fault? Teachers, Pupils Or Parents / 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology / The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by omaolowo(m): 2:21pm On Jun 26, 2016
Has PEMDAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS?

"In those days", one of the rules of Algebra in solving of equations was to use the mnemonics BODMAS - as the order of operations to follow....

B - for Brackets
O - for Of
D - for Division
M - for Multiplication
A - for Addition
S - for Subtraction

Yesterday while discussing this "almighty" order of solving equations with a young undergraduate, he politely informed me that my BODMAS of yesteryears is no more! That rather it is now PEMDAS that is now being taught in schools and colleges.....

P - for Parentheses
E - for Exponent
M - for Multiplication
D - for Division
A - for Addition
S - for Subtraction

While an ancient like me can allow the fresh nomenclatures for "Brackets" and "Of" of yesteryears, when did "Division" lose its position for "Multiplication"? He could not answer me!

Finally, is it now true that "Multiplication" has taken precedence over "Division" against what the Entebbe Workshop that became "Modern Mathematics" of the 1960s taught to people of my generation?

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by youngest85(m): 2:24pm On Jun 26, 2016
yes, its true

1 Like

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jun 26, 2016
Hmmm. Hearing dis 4 d 1st time. Nice though!

18 Likes

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by solexadex(m): 2:37pm On Jun 26, 2016
In programming I was taught PEMDAS while in maths I know of it as BODMAS.

Computer uses PEMDAS for it calculations.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by druxy(m): 9:49pm On Jun 26, 2016
maths just ain't my thing..even tho being in science

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by Chima541(m): 6:51am On Jun 27, 2016
Mathematics =Bodmas
Further mathematics =pemdas

6 Likes

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by sniperwolf(m): 7:10am On Jun 27, 2016
The rule still remains BODMAS. Parentheses and brackets are used interchangeably.
Of, Division and Multiplication are both Commutative and Associative. Same can be said for Exponent, Division and Multiplication

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by Nobody: 7:11am On Jun 27, 2016
Impossicant. cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by primus101(f): 7:11am On Jun 27, 2016
Lord. I didn't know this. Lemme check

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by MadCow1: 7:12am On Jun 27, 2016
What is BODMAS and PEDMAS?
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by martineverest(m): 7:12am On Jun 27, 2016
yes,BODMAS is outdated.
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by Google63(m): 7:13am On Jun 27, 2016
(Note: Speakers of British English often instead use "BODMAS",
which stands for "Brackets, Orders, Division and Multiplication,
and Addition and Subtraction". Since "brackets" are the same as
parentheses and "orders" are the same as exponents, the two
acronyms mean the same thing.)
www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops.htm

12 Likes

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by toocoded: 7:14am On Jun 27, 2016
Hmmmm......still clinging to my bodmas though grin

1 Like

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by SirBrightoc(m): 7:14am On Jun 27, 2016
buksaylor001 just updated his post with good explanation.

PEMDAS adds the exponent/index operation to BODMAS, while BODMAS has Of which is same as Multiplication.

P - Parenthesis and B - Bracket are the same.
MD or DM, the same level of operation.

Both are still almost the same and correct. You can use any of them that appeals to you and suitable for what you are doing.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by surestsam(m): 7:15am On Jun 27, 2016
BODMAS for beginner... PEMDAS for advance learner

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by abbeyd17(m): 7:15am On Jun 27, 2016
an average mathematician is an average mad man ...........always solving for wat is nt lost

1 Like

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by Nobody: 7:15am On Jun 27, 2016
This august wil be my junior year studying aeronautical engineering and I didnt find that shít funny...In a space of 2 years since I finished high school maths changed completely even now in elementary school, there's a new way of teaching maths called common core...look it up. My cousin was fuming that her son got an F on a simple maths problem for a 3rd grader she helped him with. When I saw it, I was confused for the first 1 and a half minute. But thats how humanity works...EVOLVING.

By the way, Parenthesis is what we call Brackets in the states...Its still the same sequence really.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by ekemit(m): 7:15am On Jun 27, 2016
Mathematics is my favorite

1 Like

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by EdDave(m): 7:15am On Jun 27, 2016
If u look at it carefully, it s basically same.
In simple maths, without parenthesis and exponentials, u can either divide first or multiply first. U ll get same answers as long as you solve them before addition and subtraction.

16 Likes

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by PigMeat: 7:15am On Jun 27, 2016
op follow wetin u know ooo. Ever since u been using bodmas, where u faulted by your teachers or lecturers?
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by bumi10(m): 7:15am On Jun 27, 2016
PEDMAS i know is used for teaching programming in school cuz thats the way computer solves it own calculations

but didn't that it has replaced BODMAS in the modern day Mathematics

well what a heck, computer is modern

1 Like

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by ALVA001: 7:17am On Jun 27, 2016
T
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by VirginFinder: 7:17am On Jun 27, 2016
Really? Seeing this for the first time.
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by adioolayi(m): 7:18am On Jun 27, 2016
kindly give us live examples of solved problems with PEMDAS and BODMAS

1 Like

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by Nobody: 7:19am On Jun 27, 2016
whether BODMAS or PEMDAS, so long as you get the equation....

who PEMDAS epp?
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by EzePromoe: 7:20am On Jun 27, 2016
They're the same. Division and Multiplication works interchangeably. Addition and Subtraction works interchangeably but not with Multiplication and Division involved in the equation.

3 Likes

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by Sexytemi(f): 7:23am On Jun 27, 2016
I hate maths, and all what u guys are saying sounds so foreign to me..

I only know bodmas!!!!!!!, so Which one is pedmas again o

1 Like

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by steadymind(m): 7:23am On Jun 27, 2016
Doesnt matter if you divide first or multiply first.

Parenthesis is the same as Bracket, while the term "of" referred to exponent.

2 Likes

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by Igboid: 7:24am On Jun 27, 2016
adioolayi:
kindly give us live examples of solved problems with PEMDAS and BODMAS

6-1x0+2÷2 = 7, using PEMDAS

6-1x0+2÷2 = 5, using BODMAS

I don't think PEMDAS and BODMAS are basically the same.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by dfrost: 7:26am On Jun 27, 2016
*Keke stop, stop me joor... I no dey go Brexit Avenue again* *PEDMAS Close ó wá*

Time for refresher course in Mathematics (best subject ever) wink cheesy grin tongue

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Gateway Polytechnic Students Protest Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photos) / Beautiful Nairalander Graduates As Best Student In OAUTHC School Of Nursing / FG Claimed No Money For Varsities But Built Railway To Niger –ASUU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.