Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,776 members, 7,798,586 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:42 AM

Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. (2029 Views)

How I Am Surviving During The Recession / How Many Children Do You Think Is Ideal For A Family In This Current Economy? / Save Your Life. Here Is How To Survive The Current Economic Situation. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by alabiyemmy(m): 2:37pm On Jun 26, 2016
In view of the present economic situation around the world and Nigeria in particular , adequate cautions must be taking by us all.
Be prepared to let go of some things and spend only when absolutely necessary. If you have saved money, try not to touch it quickly.
Avoid capital projects until you are certain of replenishing your bank accounts.
Avoid social travels that bring no added income.
If attending a burial, wedding, naming ceremony, marriage anniversary will eat into your savings, avoid them. You would be called names, accept the name calling but understand that these same
people will call you worse names if you have to borrow from them to feed your family.
Reduce your responsibilities. Your first duty is to your family. If you don't provide for them, others will rarely do so.
Talk to your friends who are working not to bother asking you for favours.
Avoid those who ask you in advance what you are going to get for them on their birthdays or Valentine day. They tell you things are hard but refuse to agree that things are hard for you too.
Cut your pants according to your size. If you think that staying in Lekki will take more than half of your savings, move to Otta.
The downfall of a man is not the end of his life. Help your friends to start cutting costs by cutting costs yourself. Don't spend thousands to celebrate your birthday because you will be putting pressure on them to celebrate theirs.
If they call and ask how your birthday is going to be, tell them "Ground no level". Tell them you hope things will improve next year.
Do not be pushed into unnecessary spending for any reason.
Even if you have the money to spend, spend on things that can uplift your life and the life of others.
People have spent millions on their wedding, only to live unhappily thereafter.
People have spent millions on their birthdays, only to be forgotten a few month after.
Most importantly understand that happiness does not come from vanity.
There are hundreds of people out there, unknown in your circles who are living a quiet life of bliss.
Moreover, there is no Big Boy or Girl in the grave.
Economic indices have indicated trying times are here.
CONCENTRATE YOUR ENERGY ON THINGS THAT CAN IMPROVE YOUR LIFE AND THE LIFE OF PERSON'S CLOSE TO YOU.
Seriously reflect on this message.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by youngest85(m): 2:50pm On Jun 26, 2016
REFLECTION TIME.....BLESSING TIME
Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by yomi007k(m): 3:02pm On Jun 26, 2016
This op is blessed...no be wash

1 Like

Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by Amhappy(f): 5:04pm On Jun 26, 2016
Nice post thanks for sharing
Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by johnson232: 6:59pm On Jun 26, 2016
i hate birthday celebration....dont why people do it...

1 Like

Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by johnson232: 7:00pm On Jun 26, 2016
Amhappy:
Nice post thanks for sharing
are u sure u are really happy...
Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by Onegai(f): 8:23pm On Jun 26, 2016
Not always. I used to think it made sense to live in Iyana Ipaja and work in VI. You will save a lot, true. But will spend that money treating your high blood pressure and constant health breakdowns due to exhaustion of doing 3 hours in traffic daily and leaving the home at 5am daily. You will never see your children (all the guys I know doing it see their kids on the weekends). Your marriage will suffer (you will be too busy in traffic and tired when you get home or stay on the island to avoid traffic and find yourself hanging out with single people doing the same and that's how a lot of infidelity in marriage starts). Yes you will save money, but die of hypertension at 45.

Cut costs in unnecessary spending: shopping, eating out, expensive gadgets (which require expensive accessories), parties, outings (the mall and cinemas and beer parlours and bars are pricey, go to the park)

Infidelity is really expensive. It should be a rich man's game so biko if you know you don't have a minimum of 3 brand new cars (not Kia and Toyota o) and 2 large properties, be faithful to your spouse grin

Carpool with your spouse, especially on weekends. We are one-car family (i feel for now we can do without a second car) and that has made us closer as we fight, settle, joke, keep malice, eat, starve, selfie and jollificate all in that car. It has made us spend time together (when you work and you have kids, it is very easy to go for days without discussing much with your spouse).

Keep parties private. Baby E is turning 1 this week (tears! Emotions!) and we are not throwing a party. Photoshoot, famiky brunch at our regular restaurant and cake. She won't remember it and why should I stress myself when I will spend the day running around trying to make sure everyone is happy and I remember nothing and see nothing? I have pictures from one of my sisters' parties and I only appear once (my eyes were red from crying from exhaustion) and I cannot tell you what happened even at my wedding (it was a blur as we kept being dragged about and I heard the food was great! I didn't eat undecided). Small parties with people you know by first and last name only.

If you're not home all week, don't pay for DSTV premium, go for a cheaper option. Or get great internet and cancel your subscription. Do you even have light sef grin

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by yomi007k(m): 8:42pm On Jun 26, 2016
no be everybody dey get ds sense..one dude still wan spend him last 300k on pikin dedication.....den d pikin go turn alamajiri

2 Likes

Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by Gerrard59(m): 11:33pm On Jun 26, 2016
yomi007k:
no be everybody dey get ds sense..one dude still wan spend him last 300k on pikin dedication.....den d pikin go turn alamajiri

Quality education doesn't come cheap, besides spending on your child(ren) should not be seen as a waste. Additionally, that amount is small compared to this: https://www.nairaland.com/2753095/23-most-expensive-secondary-schools

"Do you even have light sef" grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by photoshoot(m): 6:55am On Jun 27, 2016
Onegai:
Not always. I used to think it made sense to live in Iyana Ipaja and work in VI. You will save a lot, true. But will spend that money treating your high blood pressure and constant health breakdowns due to exhaustion of doing 3 hours in traffic daily and leaving the home at 5am daily. You will never see your children (all the guys I know doing it see their kids on the weekends). Your marriage will suffer (you will be too busy in traffic and tired when you get home or stay on the island to avoid traffic and find yourself hanging out with single people doing the same and that's how a lot of infidelity in marriage starts). Yes you will save money, but die of hypertension at 45.

Cut costs in unnecessary spending: shopping, eating out, expensive gadgets (which require expensive accessories), parties, outings (the mall and cinemas and beer parlours and bars are pricey, go to the park)

Infidelity is really expensive. It should be a rich man's game so biko if you know you don't have a minimum of 3 brand new cars (not Kia and Toyota o) and 2 large properties, be faithful to your spouse grin

Carpool with your spouse, especially on weekends. We are one-car family (i feel for now we can do without a second car) and that has made us closer as we fight, settle, joke, keep malice, eat, starve, selfie and jollificate all in that car. It has made us spend time together (when you work and you have kids, it is very easy to go for days without discussing much with your spouse).

Keep parties private. Baby E is turning 1 this week (tears! Emotions!) and we are not throwing a party. Photoshoot , famiky brunch at our regular restaurant and cake. She won't remember it and why should I stress myself when I will spend the day running around trying to make sure everyone is happy and I remember nothing and see nothing? I have pictures from one of my sisters' parties and I only appear once (my eyes were red from crying from exhaustion) and I cannot tell you what happened even at my wedding (it was a blur as we kept being dragged about and I heard the food was great! I didn't eat undecided). Small parties with people you know by first and last name only.

If you're not home all week, don't pay for DSTV premium, go for a cheaper option. Or get great internet and cancel your subscription. Do you even have light sef grin

Madam, what I do undecided
Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by Amhappy(f): 7:04am On Jun 27, 2016
johnson232:

are u sure u are really happy...

Yes I am lol.
Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by yomi007k(m): 7:23am On Jun 27, 2016
Gerrard59:

Quality education doesn't come cheap, besides spending on your child(ren) should not be seen as a waste. Additionally, that amount is small compared to this: https://www.nairaland.com/2753095/23-most-expensive-secondary-schools

"Do you even have light sef" grin grin grin
ur not wrong but one has to be able to survive n be healthy before investing in education.

Light is d new gold ooo
Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by damiso(f): 10:50am On Jun 27, 2016
Onegai:

Keep parties private. Baby E is turning 1 this week (tears! Emotions!) and we are not throwing a party. Photoshoot, famiky brunch at our regular restaurant and cake. She won't remember it and why should I stress myself when I will spend the day running around trying to make sure everyone is happy and I remember nothing and see nothing? I have pictures from one of my sisters' parties and I only appear once (my eyes were red from crying from exhaustion) and I cannot tell you what happened even at my wedding (it was a blur as we kept being dragged about and I heard the food was great! I didn't eat undecided). Small parties with people you know by first and last name only.

I wish I could 'Love' this post. kiss I also agree with most of the original post except for the Otta part.

I have an uncle who went and got a place in Alagbole and worked in VI. He ended up spending 3 days at ours in Yaba and was always loitering around all the bars for 'traffic to die down' . He eventually let go of the place when he got married. Does not have to be Lekki but maybe places on the mainland where even if there is traffic you are still able to get home in good time.

grin grin grin grin grin at infidelity being expensive

As for the 1st birthday party did exactly the same for my two children. I still get called ijebu for it but na them know cheesy It was not even just the money but the whole stress for a child that will never remember undecided I think my 1st year birthday party pictures where I was crying and clinging to my mum for dear life cheesy kinda put me off the idea. Almost every shot I have ever seen I was crying. cheesy I heard my mum 'imported' even the party packs undecided E dey shark am but e no shark me reach am cos I hate organising parties. God knows how many fights we had planning my wedding from choosing the cheaper/smaller hall, to wanting less IV's , to wanting to have it all on the same day( she won all the fights embarassed) but I am now able to defy her a bit more . I think the new me would have stood up to her more if I was getting married now. cheesy Me sef no even know how the food at my wedding tasted.

Happy birthday in advance to your princess. kiss

Its such a funny feeling when they are no longer 'babies'. I still give my son ( 4) baby cuddles though he is now able to wiggle away from me cheesy He is really big on being 'a big boy cos he is going to big school'. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jun 27, 2016
This economy will not reduce the rate at which I have fun. The lord is my muscle.
Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by Onegai(f): 3:08pm On Jun 27, 2016
damiso:

I wish I could 'Love' this post. kiss I also agree with most of the original post except for the Otta part.

I have an uncle who went and got a place in Alagbole and worked in VI. He ended up spending 3 days at ours in Yaba and was always loitering around all the bars for 'traffic to die down' . He eventually let go of the place when he got married. Does not have to be Lekki but maybe places on the mainland where even if there is traffic you are still able to get home in good time.

As for the 1st birthday party did exactly the same for my two children. I still get called ijebu for it but na them know cheesy It was not even just the money but the whole stress for a child that will never remember undecided I think my 1st year birthday party pictures where I was crying and clinging to my mum for dear life cheesy kinda put me off the idea. Almost every shot I have ever seen I was crying. cheesy I heard my mum 'imported' even the party packs undecided E dey shark am but e no shark me reach am cos I hate organising parties. God knows how many fights we had planning my wedding from choosing the cheaper/smaller hall, to wanting less IV's , to wanting to have it all on the same day( she won all the fights embarassed) but I am now able to defy her a bit more . I think the new me would have stood up to her more if I was getting married now. cheesy Me sef no even know how the food at my wedding tasted.

Its such a funny feeling when they are no longer 'babies'. I still give my son ( 4) baby cuddles though he is now able to wiggle away from me cheesy He is really big on being 'a big boy cos he is going to big school'. cheesy

I am still looking for the bridal couple who actually ate at their wedding reception and knew what was going on. It
Is so bad. A reception should be a business venture ("honey we need to pay for honeymoon/rent/New appliances, so let's have a reception"wink, don't feed people for nothing cheesy or do it like the white guys and cater for only those you invite or ask them to meet you at a restaurant and they pay (and don't expect them to still give gifts after).

Lekki is the worst place to live because you're paying so much for so little. Unless you live in a gated estate, it's annoying (plus all the fake Oyinbo accents! People who live in Ikoyi and have Rolls Royces and Mercedes SUVs on their property talk normal, awon 'I-live-in-Agungi' will not let our ears rest.

Tenkyiu o. (The birthday is today, shhhhhh)

1 Like

Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by Acidosis(m): 3:43pm On Jun 27, 2016
The DSTV is the annoying part abeg. Why will someone subscribe almost N10k for these premium nonsense meanwhile he spends all his time outside the home, and still uses fuel and generator to watch few channels for few hours during the weekends?

Even companies are getting wiser these days, they're currently employing tactics like lean manufacturing and dedicated inventory management systems to cut waste. Why should one order 10 Newspapers on a daily basis when you can read all and even more with N10 on your mobile phone?

Nice piece;

but

@OP, you were making reasonable points until you mentioned that the "downfall of a man is not the end of his life"

Who told you that relocating from Lekki to Otta signifies downfall? Until you Nigerians stop associating wealth with geographical locations, you all won't stop leading people to financial damnation and bankruptcy.

Statements like that are the reasons people who ought to have grown their wealth in Otta hurriedly moved to the Island to appear rich and compete back to back with Tinubu. It is the same mentality that pursued people to Lagos (including me grin grin). People who would ordinarily do well via farming, trade, importation, etc in the village.

If Bishop Oyedepo (one of the richest men in Nigeria) could sit, think and grow his conglomerates in Otta, then only a f00l would assume he'd never look rich until he relocates to Tinubu's backyard. It is the same poverty mentality that pursued some to Banana Island (I didn't mention names). Funny thing is, their statuses ever since they relocated have not changed. They remain who they are, and their names remain unchanged.

Adenuga resides in Banana Island but the source of his wealth resides even in the deep forests in Nigeria, his masts are everywhere, including the villages where many people emigrate from on a daily basis - that's the source of his wealth.

Running away or categorising Otta as "downfall of a man" is irresponsible.

You can move from Lekki (who even says there are no cheap lands in Lekki?) to Otta to build your business, you can move to get more savings and make yourself happy. It is no downfall.

3 Likes

Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by Kimoni: 9:06am On Jun 28, 2016
damiso:

Alagbole to VI shocked smiley
Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by KanwuliaExtra: 2:02pm On Jun 28, 2016
This "Alabi" guy still dey alive? shocked
Gosh! When Nairaland WAS NAIRALAND!!!! grin

Awon 2006 "branch"! cheesy
This dude dey spit fire doz days o! cheesy
10 years on NL, ONE MONTH online?

Oh boy! NA WISSSSH BABA DO THE JAZZZ? shocked

To h-answer your ?

Thank my LUCKY STARS, I DON'T LIVE AND CAN NEVER LIVE IN NIGERIA!!!!

Change don kam o! grin
When CHANGE comot, I fit reconsider! cool
Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by dahmie2013: 9:45pm On Jun 28, 2016
Op, thanks! How timely.
Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by alabiyemmy(m): 10:35am On Jun 29, 2016
Acidosis:
The DSTV is the annoying part abeg. Why will someone subscribe almost N10k for these premium nonsense meanwhile he spends all his time outside the home, and still uses fuel and generator to watch few channels for few hours during the weekends?

Even companies are getting wiser these days, they're currently employing tactics like lean manufacturing and dedicated inventory management systems to cut waste. Why should one order 10 Newspapers on a daily basis when you can read all and even more with N10 on your mobile phone?

Nice piece;

but

@OP, you were making reasonable points until you mentioned that the "downfall of a man is not the end of his life"

Who told you that relocating from Lekki to Otta signifies downfall? Until you Nigerians stop associating wealth with geographical locations, you all won't stop leading people to financial damnation and bankruptcy.

Statements like that are the reasons people who ought to have grown their wealth in Otta hurriedly moved to the Island to appear rich and compete back to back with Tinubu. It is the same mentality that pursued people to Lagos (including me grin grin). People who would ordinarily do well via farming, trade, importation, etc in the village.

If Bishop Oyedepo (one of the richest men in Nigeria) could sit, think and grow his conglomerates in Otta, then only a f00l would assume he'd never look rich until he relocates to Tinubu's backyard. It is the same poverty mentality that pursued some to Banana Island (I didn't mention names). Funny thing is, their statuses ever since they relocated have not changed. They remain who they are, and their names remain unchanged.

Adenuga resides in Banana Island but the source of his wealth resides even in the deep forests in Nigeria, his masts are everywhere, including the villages where many people emigrate from on a daily basis - that's the source of his wealth.

Running away or categorising Otta as "downfall of a man" is irresponsible.

You can move from Lekki (who even says there are no cheap lands in Lekki?) to Otta to build your business, you can move to get more savings and make yourself happy. It is no downfall.

You probably misunderstood my post. Who is saying moving to OTA is downfall? I am talking generally, making a general statement or is that not the way they say it?

Don't call a man irresponsible just because you don't understand what he is saying.
Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by alabiyemmy(m): 10:37am On Jun 29, 2016
KanwuliaExtra:
This "Alabi" guy still dey alive? shocked
Gosh! When Nairaland WAS NAIRALAND!!!! grin

Awon 2006 "branch"! cheesy
This dude dey spit fire doz days o! cheesy
10 years on NL, ONE MONTH online?

Oh boy! NA WISSSSH BABA DO THE JAZZZ? shocked

To h-answer your ?

Thank my LUCKY STARS, I DON'T LIVE AND CAN NEVER LIVE IN NIGERIA!!!!

Change don kam o! grin
When CHANGE comot, I fit reconsider! cool

You wish me dead? I am alive and kicking. Glory be to God on High.
Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by KanwuliaExtra: 12:58pm On Jun 29, 2016
alabiyemmy:

You wish me dead? I am alive and kicking. Glory be to God on High.

Wish you dead ke?
For what na?
I mean alive ON NL.
Good to see you. More Glory upon Glory!
Amen.

1 Like

Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by Acidosis(m): 1:57pm On Jun 29, 2016
alabiyemmy:

You probably misunderstood my post. Who is saying moving to OTA is downfall? I am talking generally, making a general statement or is that not the way they say it?

Don't call a man irresponsible just because you don't understand what he is saying.
I'm sorry sir
Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by alabiyemmy(m): 6:24pm On Jun 30, 2016
KanwuliaExtra:

Wish you dead ke?
For what na?
I mean alive ON NL.
Good to see you. More Glory upon Glory!
Amen.

Ok. Peace.

1 Like

Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by alabiyemmy(m): 6:25pm On Jun 30, 2016
Acidosis:

I'm sorry sir

Peace brother
Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jul 03, 2016
Onegai:

Please tell me and I am not joking. Where are the cheap lands in Lekki?

Onegai:

Need this elusive great internet that won't cost twice the price of DSTV premium. Which network is it? I am dead serious!!!
Re: Surviving The Current Economic Reality In Nigeria. by Onegai(f): 3:15pm On Jul 03, 2016
dsunmade:

Please tell me and I am not joking. Where are the cheap lands in Lekki?

I'm not the poster who made that comment, please re-read.

Need this elusive great internet that won't cost twice the price of DSTV premium. Which network is it? I am dead serious!!!

Take a look at your lifestyle and location: there are options for those checking and for some people, DSTV doesn't show all we watch.

(1) (Reply)

Should We Be Worried About My Younger Brother New Development / Please I Need Your Advice / Why I Do Not Want To Have Babies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.