Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,668 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ (17746 Views)

The Reason For The Resurrection - Joseph Prince / 10 Reasons To Accept The Resurrection Of Jesus As An Historical Fact / Why Is The Sunday Before The Resurrection Of Christ Called Palm Sunday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Seun(m): 11:47am On Jun 27, 2016
The resurrection of Jesus Christ is probably the most important event in Christianity. Apostle Paul said, "If Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith" (I Cor 15:14). He also said, "if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins". Did it really happen, though? Let's look at the evidence.

1. The Empty Tomb And The Men In White

Mark, which was the first gospel to be written, describes the incident in chapter 16:
When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus’ body. 2 Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb 3 and they asked each other, “Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?”

4 But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away. 5 As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man dressed in a white robe sitting on the right side, and they were alarmed.

6 “Don’t be alarmed,” he said. “You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him. 7 But go, tell his disciples and Peter, ‘He is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him, just as he told you.’”

8 Trembling and bewildered, the women went out and fled from the tomb. They said nothing to anyone, because they were afraid.

Is it reasonable to accept this as evidence that Jesus rose from the dead? Let's see.

Jesus was the T B Joshua of his time. He came from a humble background, was loved by the masses because of his miracle ministry, and was hated by the religious establishment which didn't accept him as a true man of God and felt that his teachings were unscriptural.

Now lets imagine that T. B Joshua died, and then 3 days later the 3 women who were closest to him when he was alive in his ministry came to you with this story: That they went to T B Joshua's grave to pray and lay flowers, but when they got there, they saw that the grave had been opened, the body missing and a young guy in a white suit was sitting there. And the guy told them that T B Joshua had risen from the dead.

Would it be reasonable to believe that T B Joshua had risen from the dead on the basis of this testimony? Wouldn't you be suspicious that T B Joshua's body had been stolen by his top pastors to make it appear that he had risen? That the man in white was just an accomplice of the thieves? That maybe the women were hallucinating due to their grief, or simply lying to hype their hero and crush?

Luke's Gospel, written about 10 years later, describes the same incident thus:
They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, 3 but when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. 4 While they were wondering about this, suddenly two men in clothes that gleamed like lightning stood beside them. 5 In their fright the women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, “Why do you look for the living among the dead? 6 He is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee: 7 ‘The Son of Man must be delivered over to the hands of sinners, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.’ ” 8 Then they remembered his words.

9 When they came back from the tomb, they told all these things to the Eleven and to all the others.
Notice how the story has been altered to solve the issues with the first one, and spiced up?

Imagine if, in the hypothetical case of TB Joshua's alleged resurrection, the women who told you about his empty grave came back 10 years later to tell the same story. But this time, instead of a young man in a white suit who was sitting by the grave when they arrived, they claim that there was no one at T B joshua's grave initially and then suddenly, two men in glowing suits as bright as the sun (implying angels) appeared before them and gave them a scriptural lesson. Would those changes make the story more believable to you, or less so?

2. Appearing To His Closest Followers

According to Mark's Gospel,
When Jesus rose early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had driven seven demons.
12 Afterward Jesus appeared in a different form to two of them while they were walking in the country.
14 Later Jesus appeared to the Eleven as they were eating; he rebuked them for their lack of faith and their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen him after he had risen.
In short, Jesus' closest followers claimed that he appeared to them at various times after his body went missing. Jesus closest followers had everything to lose by his death, and everything to gain by getting people to believe the resurrection story. They had sold all their posessions and left their families and professions to join Jesus' ministry. With his death, that ministry was finished, but the ressurection story brought it back to life. Knowing about this serious conflict of interest, it reasonable to accept their testimony as evidence that the resurrection actually happened?

If TB Joshua died and the top pastors in his church said he appeared to them, would you believe it for one moment?

3. His Appearance To 500 Believers

According to 1 Corinthians 15:6,
[Jesus] appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep."

This would seem like the least weak evidence for the resurrection, due to the sheer number of potential witnesses, until you start to wonder why none of the Gospels mentioned it. Not even imaginative Luke of the robes as white as lightening. Why would all the Gospel writers have choosen to leave out what would have been their strongest evidence? 500 witnesses! Because it didn't happen? Because it was too early to tell such a big lie and get away with it? I don't know.

And even if we want to at issume that it happened, we must not forget that it would be quite easy for any illusionist to stage the appearance of Jesus to people who strongly want to believe that he is still alive. Benny Hinn tells a story about Jesus appearing during one of his crusades, and people believe it.

Conclusion:
The evidence for the resurrection of Jesus is a bunch of testimonies attributed to people who had every reason to lie during a period when people were far more superstitious and gullible than we are today because they didn't have science. It's not sufficient to convince an objective modern person that a 3 day old corpse whose brain and heart would have decayed considerably actually came back to life, held meetings in person with various people, and then ascended into outer space. Or ... What do you think?

47 Likes 12 Shares

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by GIYAZZ(m): 11:53am On Jun 27, 2016
Honestly, i don't see your point. Seun, did you make any?

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by thesicilian: 11:55am On Jun 27, 2016
Christianity is free for you all to mock, so go ahead. Just one thing though, make sure, like that thief on the cross with Jesus, that you repent before your last day, else we shall see who will laugh last.

25 Likes

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by RobinHez(m): 12:04pm On Jun 27, 2016
The Report of the Guard

11 While they were going, behold, some of the guard went into the city and told the chief priests all that had taken place.
12 And when they had assembled with the elders and taken counsel, they gave a sufficient sum of money to the soldiers
13 and said, “Tell people, His disciples came by night and stole him away while we were asleep.’
14 And if this comes to cthe governor’s ears, we will satisfy him and keep you out of trouble.”
15 So they took the money and did as they were directed. And this story has been spread among the Jews to this day.

Exactly what Uncle Seun is doing... grin

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by iliyande(m): 12:04pm On Jun 27, 2016
what of the soldiers that testified even though they were not Jesus followers?

19 Likes

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Fynestboi: 12:05pm On Jun 27, 2016
cheesy
Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Fynestboi: 12:06pm On Jun 27, 2016
ritababe:
seun just a question.
are you using Nairaland to turn people away from Christ? because all I see now is that you are trying to destroy the Christian faith.
are you an Antichrist? undecided

@bolded really? undecided

4 Likes

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by tosinjay(m): 12:10pm On Jun 27, 2016
ritababe:

since me and you agreed that the article is pointless case close.
and se.un you will soon start driving people away from your site since you are here to preach against christ using Nairaland as a source.
Madam you speak my mind, i don tire sef. If no be for dollar wey i dey follow up ehn..

4 Likes

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by ritababe(f): 12:11pm On Jun 27, 2016
Fynestboi:

@bolded really? undecided
check all his thread and see how he mocks Christianity, let me speak my mind.

2 Likes

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Fynestboi: 12:15pm On Jun 27, 2016
ritababe:

check all his thread and see how he mocks Christianity, let me speak my mind.

Ma'am it is One thing to write, and it is another thing to read, as long as your faith is not built on an online write up, from a critical mind, then you don't need to be perturbed by it ma'am.

There is always room for counter thread.

Mr. Seun's thread against the existent of God or what have you shouldn't make you renounce your faith, should it?

6 Likes

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by ritababe(f): 12:18pm On Jun 27, 2016
Fynestboi:

Ma'am it is One thing to write, and it is another thing to read, as long as your faith is not built on an online write up, from a critical mind, then you don't need to be perturbed by it ma'am.

There is always room for counter thread.

Mr. Seun's thread against the existent of God or what have you shouldn't make you renounce your faith, should it?

so that gives him the right to insult ones religion?

3 Likes

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Fynestboi: 12:22pm On Jun 27, 2016
ritababe:

He never insulted my (Christianity) religion, he is only been a critic, and by the virtue of my discipline there is no crime in been a critic.

Criticism never implies rejection. smiley

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by ritababe(f): 12:25pm On Jun 27, 2016
Fynestboi:

He never insulted my (Christianity) religion, he is only been a critic, and by the virtue of my discipline there is no crime in been a critic.

Criticism never implies rejection. smiley

he should leave Christian faith alone and stop mocking them because he has many followers he is taking advantage.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Fynestboi: 12:29pm On Jun 27, 2016
ritababe:

you are not a true Christian.
for the record am not saying I am too but he should leave Christian faith alone and stop mocking them because he has many followers he is taking advantage.

@bolded that statement is Problematic, but I will let it slide to prevent derailment.

Did you read through what Mr. Seun wrote? No i guess

And did you see the quoted below? No I guess.

Or ... What do you think?

Peace Ma'am.

6 Likes

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by theoneJabulani(m): 12:32pm On Jun 27, 2016
Don't expect them to see the flaws of their belief, its completely pointless.

3 Likes

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Omooba77: 12:33pm On Jun 27, 2016
Acts of Apostles 9 give us (Paul) Saul experience;someone who was a antichrist;but died defending Jesus Christ

5 Likes

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jun 27, 2016
ritababe:
seun just a question.
are you using Nairaland to turn people away from Christ? because all I see now is that you are trying to destroy the Christian faith.
I have nothing against Seun criticizing Religion(s) and airing his views, he is entitled to do so. The guy usually makes relevant points that deserve to be discussed.

However, there seems to be some level of hyprocisy in the whole stuff. Seun goes about criticizing Christianity and christian's faith only and almost never does the same with Islam, except some vague timid topics. He created a specific forum for muslims, where you can't even intervene unless you profess that you believe that:

- Islam is the only true religion
-There is no God but Allah
- Mohammed is his prophet

or something similar, and have it written on your profile shocked shocked undecided

It is very sad as some of us have brought this numerous times to his attention, with quasi no answers/explanations from him.

I am not a (religious) christian, so I do not seek to defend christianity.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by theoneJabulani(m): 12:35pm On Jun 27, 2016
ritababe:

for the record am not saying I am too but he should leave Christian faith alone and stop mocking them because he has many followers he is taking advantage.
Ma'am, ur religion is filled with lies and bull$$hit. Deal with it.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by RobinHez(m): 12:37pm On Jun 27, 2016
Some people have already been sent to prison...^^ Make I run before I follow join! grin

3 Likes

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by byteHead(m): 12:53pm On Jun 27, 2016
The Gospels are inconsistent and contradictory all over the place. For one Paul warns his followers about false preachers of the religion, so we know that either Paul or other early Christian preachers were lying.

Some would ask : Why would the disciples die for a lie?” But people have an amazing ability to deceive even themselves, and that’s what cognitive dissonance is all about. It’s not a conscious process where people examine their beliefs and the actual events and then decide to convince themselves of something. It’s a process of rationalization that occurs, at least partially, at the subconscious level. It’s a well-documented effect, including being shown in doomsday cults. They said the end of the world was going to come on such-and-such a day, and it didn’t come…well they must have delayed it then! Or how about…we’ve just travelled around the countryside for three years with this guy that must have been the Messiah, but now he’s suddenly been killed…well, he must have been resurrected!

Again, this isn’t a conscious thought process. But it happens.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Booyakasha(f): 12:55pm On Jun 27, 2016
LoJ:

I have nothing against Seun criticizing Religion(s) and airing his views, he is entitled to do so. The guy usually makes relevant points that deserve to be discussed.
However, there seems to be some level of hyprocisy in the whole stuff. Seun goes about criticizing Christianity and christian's faith only and almost never does the same with Islam, except some vague timid topics. He created a specific forum for muslims, where you can't even intervene unless you profess that you believe that:
- Islam is the only true religion
-There is no God but Allah
- Mohammed is his profess
or something similar, and have it written on your profile shocked
It is very sad as some of us have brought this numerous times to his attention, with quasi no answers/explanations from him.
I am not a (religious) christian, so I do not seek to defend christianity.
If he starts opinionated discussions about Islam, he's directly putting this forum at risk of serious attacks from Muslims all over the world that will null the reputation of this forum. And the media won't take sides with this forum if that happens.. so he's being sensible.

ritababe:

since me and you agreed that the article is pointless case close.
and se.un you will soon start driving people away from your site since you are here to preach against christ using Nairaland as a source.
You're not making any sense. Instead of playing the antichrist card, why don't you defend your beliefs? this is not anti-christ in anyway. He's just stating his opinion doesn't mean he is right or wrong.

1 Like

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by AbuMikey(m): 12:58pm On Jun 27, 2016
Abeg, theres no Tangible evidence.

The Bible sometimes is just like My Secondary school Physics textbook, so incoherent and most of times out of Place.

I need other evidence aside the bible and What Dr. Luke and Barrister Paul and Mark told us. cool

2 Likes

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by AbuMikey(m): 1:03pm On Jun 27, 2016
iliyande:

Did the Soldiers claim to have seen anyone in white robes?

What if they(soldiers) tesified, just to stay out of trouble? grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by CuteStalWart(m): 1:04pm On Jun 27, 2016
Your full name is [size=30pt] OLUWASEUN [/size]
Case Closed

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by RobinHez(m): 1:07pm On Jun 27, 2016
Booyakasha:

If he starts opinionated discussions about Islam, he's directly putting this forum at risk of serious attacks from Muslims all over the world that will null the reputation of this forum. And the media won't take sides with this forum if that happens.. so he's being sensible.

Then what is his basis for doing so with Christianity? Because there's no security risk attached? Hypocrisy of the highest order. Smh.... " undecided "

2 Likes

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by urahara(m): 1:09pm On Jun 27, 2016
ritababe:

Pretty girl no one is entitled to respect your religion smiley

2 Likes

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Seun(m): 1:09pm On Jun 27, 2016
ritababe:
seun just a question.
To be honest, I'm putting my views out there because i believe they are true, and also because I want to start meeting people of like mind.

thesicilian:
Christianity is free for you all to mock, so go ahead.
This thread is not mockery. I'm just observing that the evidence for the belief that Jesus rose from the dead seems to be very weak.

iliyande:
They didn't testify about the resurrection. This thread is focused on that.

theoneJabulani:
Don't expect them to see the flaws of their belief, its completely pointless.
Tnx, but I think most Nairaland members are smart enough to see the flaws. They may not acknowledge them, but they will see them.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by urahara(m): 1:16pm On Jun 27, 2016
ritababe:

Beautiful lady let's analyze this carefully

You know the earth is spherical.

If by chance anyone should start making books or start a thread explaining why the earth is spherical, you wouldn't even pay any attention because you know the earth being spherical is a fact,.

You believe the Bible and the resurrection are obvious facts ,so why then do u feel threatened about Mr seun s comments. Since u Christians know that the resurrection is a hard fact, why should you be scared that Mr seun so lies would make them think otherwise.

Unless if somehow, u know deep down that.........

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Prayer Warrior Bathes 15-year-old Girl With ‘holy’ Hot Water / One Hallelujah Records Will Not Partner With Secular Artistes – RCCG / Names Of 'seeds' & 'offerings' Used In Extorting Money In Churches

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.