Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,366 members, 7,800,738 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:44 AM

Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern (163961 Views)

Bishop (dr) Chris Kwakpovwe Of Our Daily Manna Sets Lagos Ablaze With Miracles / Daily Manna Feeding On His Word Daily 2014 / The Rapture Of Abiding Saints In Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:33am On Mar 05, 2010
Jaylone:

GOD bless u continually for enriching the souls of men

You are blessed and highly favoured of the Lord for being a blessing by this encouragement of yours.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:38am On Mar 05, 2010
Daily Manna

Equity
Friday, March 5, 2010

TEXT: Deuteronomy 25:1-19

"But thou shalt have a perfect and just weight, a perfect and just measure shalt thou have: that thy days may be lengthened in the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee" (Deuteronomy 25:15).

Justice in some places is sold to the highest bidder. Those who have money and are in positions of authority have a different kind of justice from those who are poor and not connected to high places.

In commerce, it is common to see diverse weights and measures. People sell substandard materials for the price of good ones. They make ungodly gains as they exploit the unsuspecting buyers. It is common today to find workers defraud their employers and get paid for the work they did not do.

God does not expect believers to be involved in such dubious deals. Christians in places of responsibility and authority make decisions every time. In taking a position on any matter, you are expected to justify the righteous and condemn the evil-doer. The wicked should be punished in a way to correct and not to humiliate and make him vile in the eyes of his brethren. All men should be treated equally. There should be no partiality or respect of persons. There should be no injustice among believers.

God hates cheating and all those who cheat are abominable in His sight. Those who are just on the other hand are blessed of God and have long life. Consider this: many people who come to great wealth today die in the prime of their life. We must avoid oppression, injustice, unjust weights and measures. God will judge every evil work.

Thought for today: The just God demands justice.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:43am On Mar 06, 2010
Daily Manna

Offer to God
Saturday, March 6, 2010

TEXT: DEUTERONOMY 26:1-9

"That thou shalt take of the first of all the fruit of the earth, which thou shalt bring of thy land that the Lord thy God giveth thee, and shalt put it in a basket, and shalt go unto the place which the Lord thy God shall choose to place his name there" (Deuteronomy 26:2).

There is a saying that, "the person who knows how to be thoughtful will also know how to be thankful." This provides the principle that underlies the study of today.

In the passage, the people of Israel were commanded to bring the firstfruits of their lands into the house of the Lord in appreciation of how God delivered them from the oppression of the Egyptians and brought them into the land of promise. It was to be a token of their sense of gratitude for the mercy of God they enjoyed.

Today, believers are expected to honour the Lord with their tithes and offerings which are our first fruits. We need to remember the goodness of the Lord towards us, and in gratitude offer unto the Lord the first fruits of our labour. Our occupations or means of income generate ‘fruits’ that we are supposed to present unto God before we begin to spend on other things. As commanded by Moses, the offerer would have to make profession to the Lord in expression of gratitude to God and as a sign of commitment and consecration.

Nothing short of the same attitude is expected of us today if we are to continue to enjoy God’s blessings. As a child of God, you must cultivate the habit of paying your tithes and offering regularly. The Lord has promised to visit us with abundance if we are obedient to this command. If you do not have any means of generating income, go to God in prayer, so shall you be able to participate in payment of tithes.

Thought for today: The secret of reaping is sowing.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by Nimshi: 10:46am On Mar 06, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

Daily Manna

Offer to God
Saturday, March 6, 2010

TEXT: Deuteronomy 25:1-19

"But thou shalt have a perfect and just weight, a perfect and just measure shalt thou have: that thy days may be lengthened in the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee" (Deuteronomy 25:15).

People who don't cheat would live long.

Doesn't appear to be working these days.

The cheats become rich and can afford excellent medical care.

What's happening?

And, why do these injunctions have to be followed by death threats?
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:30pm On Mar 06, 2010
Give God what is best not what is left.

Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:49am On Mar 07, 2010
Daily Manna

The Fall of the Haughty
Sunday, March 7, 2010

TEXT: EZEKIEL 28:1-19

"Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee" (Ezekiel 28:15).

Attaining success in life is not as hard as sustaining it.  In history as well as in contemporary times, one thread runs through those who rose from humble backgrounds to greatness but later abused the privilege.  As it applies to individuals, so it is to families and nations.  People have risen and fallen.  Empires have attained wide acclaim and waned.  Nations have assumed prominence and later receded into oblivion.

Ethbaal or Ithobal, the prince of Tyre (Tyrus), was lifted up with excessive pride.  His attributes in the passage today are reminiscent of king Herod’s (Acts 12:20-23) and a future reference to the Antichrist (Matthew 24:15; 2 Thessalonians 2: cool whose common attribute is pride.

Pride is peculiarly the sin of our fallen nature.  The haughty prince of Tyre thought he was able to protect his people by his own power, and considered himself as equal to the inhabitants of heaven.  His experience should teach leaders of today some good lessons, especially if their nations are prospering under their rule.  Tyre’s prince was well aware of the comparative advantage afforded his territory by virtue of its location, as a major seaport , a popular business destination, centre of commerce and a relatively more affluent.  The beauty of the place has some elements of perfection, at that time. Ithobal may have got drunk with that realization, thinking that Tyrus was the best place there ever could be.

Pride originated from the devil.  Those who are proud will certainly fall.  Therefore, live a humble and holy lifestyle to be able to enjoy God’s blessing.

Thought for today: Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:15pm On Mar 07, 2010
Nimshi:

People who don't cheat would live long.

Doesn't appear to be working these days.

The cheats become rich and can afford excellent medical care.

What's happening?

And, why do these injunctions have to be followed by death threats?

See what happens to the righteous when they die?

Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:54pm On Mar 08, 2010
Daily Manna

God's Gracious Visitation
Monday, March 8, 2010

TEXT: Ezekiel 28:20-26

"Thus saith the Lord God; When I shall have gathered the house of Israel from the people among whom they are scattered, and shall be sanctified in them in the sight of the heathen, then shall they dwell in their land that I have given to my servant Jacob" (Ezekiel 28:25).

Among one of the first glimpses we get of God is that of a seeker: "Adam . . . where art thou?" (Genesis 3:9). Someone said to a young minister, you can never be a preacher if you read the question "where art thou?" in the tone of a policeman, as if God were seeking a fugitive for justice. You must read it as though God is a broken-hearted Father looking for a lost child.

God demonstrated unalloyed concern for the plight of Israel. This ushered in a turning point in the history of the children of Israel. The graciousness of God came in two different ways for the house of Israel. First, the visitation of His great anger on Zidon: "I am against thee O Zidon". Zidon that once served as instrument of chastisement in the hand of God to afflict Israel is now being visited with pestilence and torture. "For I will send unto her pestilence, and blood into the streets; and the wounded shall be judged in the midst of her by the sword . . .". Zidon represents the system of corruption, idolatry, evil and general departure from God that are prevalent in the world today. Sinners will face the wrath of God if they fail to repent.

Secondly, God fought Zidon so that "there shall be no more pricking brier unto the house of Israel, nor a grieving thorn of all that are around them . . . ." He did this so as to ensure that the blessings He will give to His returning children will remain unchallenged by the enemies. "And they shall dwell safely therein, and shall build houses and plant vineyards; yea ,they shall dwell with confidence . . . ."

God is daily seeking for the lost sinners to bring them back to Himself. Repentance leads to pardon and forgiveness. Forgiveness leads to restoration of all lost privileges and opportunities.

Thought for today: Repentance leads to restoration.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:10am On Mar 09, 2010
Daily Manna

Danger in  Boasting
Tuesday, March 9, 2010

TEXT: Ezekiel 29:1-21

"Speak, and say, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I am against thee, Pharaoh king of Egypt, the great dragon that lieth in the midst of his rivers, which hath said, My river is mine own, and I have made it for myself. But I will put hooks in thy jaws,,  and I will bring thee up out of the midst of thy rivers, and all the fish of thy rivers shall stick unto thy scales" (Ezekiel 29:3,4).

Science and technology rule our world today.  As man increases in scientific knowledge, he attempts to question God’s power and authority as the Creator of the universe.  This is man’s folly and the beginning of his downward slide.  It has been so all through the ages.  Nations and individuals have tried to set God aside, showing loyalty to man-made gods and created objects; and relished in their human knowledge and learning.

Egypt was famous for her scientific knowledge and learning.  Even Babylon’s and Persia’s rise in science was long after schools of literature, science and philosophy had been established on the banks of the Nile.  But the nation of Egypt never acknowledged the Almighty God for His blessing, rather it worshipped many gods.  The Nile was its pride, and in defiance said, "The river is mine." God used Nebuchadnezzar, an evil king, as an instrument of His judgment on Tyre, Judah and Egypt.  The greater sin of Egypt was its pride.  Ezekiel’s message was directed against Pharaoh and the people of Egypt.

The Lesson for us is quite clear.  Pride usually goes before a fall.  There is a woe pronounced on whoever puts his trust in man and makes flesh his arm, whose heart departs from the true God. Many people today are carried away by their worldly attainment, their political and social standing and what money can provide.  They forget the Almighty and worship the creature rather than the Creator.

The message from Ezekiel is still loud and clear, being proclaimed by servants of God today. Nothing gives true joy than the knowledge of the most High.  You can decide now to abandon your pride and acknowledge Him.

Thought for today: The wicked shall not go unpunished.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:55pm On Mar 10, 2010
Daily Manna

No Hiding Place
Wednesday, March 10, 2010

TEXT: Ezekiel 30:1-19

"Thus will I execute judgments in Egypt: and they shall know that I am the Lord" (Ezekiel 30:19).

It is common to find some fugitives, trying to escape the hand of the law in their country, run to another country for asylum and safety.  They do this because they know that the laws of their country are only binding on them while they are within the shores of that country.  But once they step out, they are free except they are extradited.

Some Christians also, have this kind of mentality.  Very sad is the situation where some, who for one reason or the other, have to leave a denomination for another.  Once they do this, they also leave the truth they once believed as if a change of denomination gives exemption from God’s holy demands.  They feel that they are not under any obligation to live according to the sound doctrines of the word of God being taught in a particular denomination even when they know that this is the truth.

What these people fail to recognize is the universality of God’s word.  God does not have different standards by which He judges different people.  His standard is the same, the Bible is one.  It is this universality of God’s righteous judgment that is demonstrated in the passage we have today.  The Egyptians would have thought that since they were not Israelites and do not worship Jehovah God, they were not in any way answerable to Him and cannot be judged by Him.  God revealed to the prophet Ezekiel here that He will judge Egypt and no city in it will escape.  In fact, the judgment will be on her and all her allies.  Those who take side with God’s enemies shall share in their punishment.

God’s laws cut across every boundary, tribe and clan.  His demand for one denomination is the same for all denominations every where in the world.  We must not try to limit God to our little minds and circles.  God is the God of all flesh.  We must fear and reverence Him and seek to live by His word.

Thought for today: "Our God is a consuming fire."
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:10pm On Mar 11, 2010
Daily Manna

If God Be For Us . . . ?
Thursday, March 11, 2010

TEXT: EZEKIEL 30:20-26

"And I will scatter the Egyptians among the nations, and disperse them among the countries; and they shall know that I am the Lord" (Ezekiel 30:26).

In 1812, the great French emperor, Napoleon Bonaparte, suffered a great setback that weakened his power and exposed his vulnerability. It was at the Battle of Borodino. Napoleon had invaded Russia with a 600,000-strong army and managed to defeat the Russians at Borodino. He marched his army to Moscow only to discover to his peril that the Russians had burned and deserted the city. Thus, they became exposed to the harsh Russian winter and suffered terrible cold, hunger and sickness. They were forced to retreat. Only 32,000 of Napoleon’s soldiers survived. This was the beginning of Napoleon’s downfall which was permanently sealed in 1815 in the Battle of Waterloo.

Similar to the humiliation of Napoleon, Prophet Jeremiah, in our text predicted the humiliating defeat of Pharaoh, the king of Egypt. In very graphic terms, the Lord declared how He would tame Pharaoh, his subjects and international allies. He affirmed that He would break "the arm of Pharaoh king of Egypt; and, lo, it shall not be bound up to be healed, to put a roller to bind it, to make it strong to hold the sword." Egypt had been hosting captives, but this time, they would go into captivity in other lands.

Certain countries of the world may pride themselves as super powers, but in a true sense, that is the prerogative of God. History has repeatedly taught us that God extends power to whom He will. The mightiest of men survives only by His mercy. He tames the wildest of tyrants and humbles the proudest of men. Here is the futility and vanity of arrogance.

As you reflect on this, why don’t you approach this God with utmost reverence, submitting to His will in every aspect of life? Also, to realize that this God is our Helper is re-assuring enough. Indeed, if God be for us, who can be against us?

Thought for today: Christ is still our unfailing Captain.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by Fhemmmy: 7:12pm On Mar 11, 2010
Thursday, March 11, 2010 Print Article
Leave a Comment
In The Silence
John C. Richards Jr.
And he said, "I have been very zealous for the Lord God of hosts; because the children of Israel have forsaken your covenant, torn down your altars, and killed your prophets with the sword. I alone am left; and they seek to take my life." - 1 Kings 19:10

Nothing.
Nada.
No answer.
Not even a hint.

What happens when God is silent? Many will not admit periods in their lives when it seems that God is not speaking. Often, this is driven by the fear that others will not see us as "spiritual" as they thought us to be. I'll be honest and tell you that there are times in my life when I feel that God is silent. Yes, even seminary-trained, Greek and Hebrew exegeting, theologically thinking men and women of faith have periods of silence in their lives.

Has there been a period of time in your life when it just felt like God wasn't speaking? You're in good company. The prophet Elijah went through a similar period. Like many Christians, he was very zealous for the Lord. He knew the word of God and had not abandoned his faith. But, he still had questions.

"God, others live their lives in ways that don't glorify you. Yet, they still prosper. Can you explain that to me? They have torn down the altars and refuse to worship you with all their heart, mind and soul. To make matters worse, they have killed your prophets with the sword."

The prophetic can symbolize dreams in our lives. Have you ever had your dreams slain by others? "You sure you want to do that?" "Did you pray about that?" Have you encountered any prophet killers (dream killers)?

Elijah was living in a cave.
He was isolated and alone.
And he sought God, fully expecting to hear an answer.

Silence,

How did God eventually respond? He told Elijah to "go out and stand on the mountain before the Lord" (1 Kings 19:11). I can imagine Elijah. "That's not what I asked you, Lord? Why do you have me doing this? I wanted an answer from you." What a wonderful revelation on how to operate in the silence. It's no surprise that Elijah was told to go stand on the mountain.

It reminds me of a tradition of early settlers in America. Many found that building their dwelling places on hills allowed them to avoid the dangers of poisonous snakes found in the valley. They called this, "living above the snake line". Their discovery? Once you go above that line certain animals,especially snakes, cannot comfortably live there. Do you live above the snake line? Does the enemy/devil still have access to you? If so, I encourage you to climb higher. Snakes (often symbolic of the devil) can't live up there. My greatest problem isn't with the enemy. Personally, I would say that I live above the snake line. My greatest enemy is found within. There are times when I feel like I have missed God. How do I overcome this in the silence?

And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks into pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a small still voice. (1 Kings 19:11-12).

How does God operate in the silence? In a small still voice. I often make the mistake of looking for wind, earthquakes, and fires from God. I want something huge to happen. Especially when it comes to making big decisions in my life.

But this passage teaches us that God comforts us in a small still voice. No wonder we are exhorted to "be still and know that He is God" (Psalm 46:10). If you are going through a period of silence I want to encourage you to celebrate your silence. Eliminate outside noise. Find a high place. Listen up!

For your answer is found in getting alone with God and listening for, His small still voice.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:16am On Mar 12, 2010
Daily Manna

Humiliation Of The Proud
Friday, March 12, 2010

TEXT: Ezekiel 31:1-18

"To whom art thou thus like in glory and in greatness among the trees of Eden? yet shalt thou be brought down with the trees of Eden unto the nether parts of the earth: thou shalt lie in the midst of the uncircumcised with them that be slain by the sword. This is Pharaoh and all his multitude, saith the Lord God" (Ezekiel 31:18).

From a stanza of John Newton’s poem, "The Kite; or Pride must have a fall", he narrates the kite’s dream of being cut from its string: Were I but free, I’d take a flight, And pierce the clouds beyond, their sight, But, ah! Like a poor pris’ner bound, My string confines me near the ground.’  The kite finally managed to tug itself free, but instead of soaring higher in the sky, it crashed into the sea thus ending up with a disappointment of its lofty dream.

In this very beautiful chapter, the prophet describes to Pharaoh the fall of the king of Nineveh, using the metaphor of a fair cedar tree of Lebanon, once exceedingly tall, flourishing, majestic, and remarkable for its loftiness, but now cut down and withered, with its broken branches strewed around like worthless logs on the ground.  He applied the lesson to the proud king of Egypt, telling him that this was a picture of his own approaching fate, a sad end to his pride.

Arrogance and pride have plagued mankind for as long as man has been on earth.  When we think of ourselves as self-reliant, self-sufficient, and self-righteous, we are proud.  What happens if someone thinks that they have all they need?  They won’t search after what they really do need.

Many feel that the divine principles by which God holds him down are hindrances to his soaring high but may we learn early that it’s our willingness to be humble that God uses to lift us up (James 4:10).  You need God in everything and for everything.  Humble yourself and the Lord will raise you up.  Raise yourself up and the Lord will humble you.  Attribute what is accomplished in your life to Him and He will open more doors for you.

Thought for today: If you are wrapped up in yourself, you make a very small package.

Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:05am On Mar 14, 2010
Daily Manna

No Oppression Please
Saturday, March 13, 2010

TEXT: EZEKIEL 32:1-16

"Son of man, take up a lamentation for Pharaoh king of Egypt, and say unto him, Thou art like a young lion of the nations, and thou art as a whale in the seas: and thou camest forth with thy rivers, and troubledst the waters with thy feet, and fouledst their rivers. Thus saith the Lord God; I will therefore spread out my net over thee with a company of many people; and they shall bring thee up in my net" (Ezekiel 32:2,3).

Lions are one of the largest members of the cat family. The lion is a magnificent animal that is portrayed as a symbol of power, courage and nobility. The throaty roar of a lion can be heard more than 8 kilometers (5 miles) away. Lions are powerful hunters. Their great strength and terrifying roars have earned them the title, king of beasts.

The king of Egypt was represented under the figure of an animal of prey, such as a lion or crocodile due to his strength and fierceness, for cruelty and tyranny, which he exercised against many nations. Israel also was kept in Egyptian bondage for more than four hundred years, when Pharaoh mightily oppressed them. The prophet Ezekiel predicted the fall of the king of Egypt, thus ending a reign of wickedness and oppression. The figure is then changed; and the greatness of his fall (described by the darkening of the sun, moon, and stars) strikes terror into all the surrounding nations. The prophet adds that the overthrow of the then reigning Egyptian dynasty was to be effected by the instrumentality of the king of Babylon, who should leave Egypt so desolate, that its waters, should run as pure and smooth as oil, without the foot of man or the hoof of a beast to disturb them.

One fact about the reign of tyranny is that they do not last. Rulers who take it upon themselves to oppress their subjects have never been in the good books of God. Oppressive and tyrannical regimes from Egypt and Babylon in Bible days and other tyrants of contemporary times have, one way or the other, faced the wrath of God.

Serve the Lord with humbleness of mind and spirit and desist from all acts of oppression and wickedness.

Thought for today: Today’s victor can be tomorrow’s victim.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:50am On Mar 14, 2010
Daily Manna

Golden Key that Opens Heaven
Sunday, March 14, 2010

TEXT: 2 KINGS 19:1-19

"And Hezekiah prayed before the Lord, and said, O Lord God of Israel, which dwellest between the cherubims, thou art the God, even thou alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth: thou hast made heaven and earth" (2 Kings 19:15).

The spectacle of a nation praying is more awe-inspiring than the explosion of an atomic bomb. The force of prayer is greater than any possible combination of man-controlled powers, because prayer is man’s greatest means of tapping the infinite resources of God. Prayer moves the hand which moves the world.

Prayer is the key that opens to us the treasure of God’s mercies and blessings; it is the key that shuts us up under His protection and safeguard.

Hezekiah had great confidence in God. Faced with the threat of the Assyrians and horrified at the mockery of the Lord, he turned to God and entreated Isaiah to pray for Jerusalem and God’s people. He took the letter which demanded that Jerusalem surrender to God’s house, spread it out before the Lord and prayed earnestly.

Prayer crowns God with the honour and glory due to His name and God crowns the prayerful Christian with honour, glory and comfort.

The most praying souls are the most assured and comforted. When troubles come into our lives, family, business or fellowship, and circumstances seem out of control, we must do just as Hezekiah did by drawing near to God in fervent prayer. God has promised to deliver us from every evil work and to preserve our soul to His heavenly kingdom. By holding on to God in our heart with trust and faith in His promises, we shall have peace, joy and victory. Prayer supplies us with a flow of sustaining power in our daily lives.

Thought for today: Prayer moves the hand which moves the world
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:17pm On Mar 15, 2010
Daily Manna

God, Our Sure Refuge
Monday, March 15, 2010

TEXT: 2 KINGS 19:20-37

"For I will defend this city, to save it, for mine own sake, and for my servant David's sake" (2 Kings 19:34).

For days, the snow fell unabated until the roof of the homes were heavy with snow. One night, a robber entered a home occupied by a Christian man and wife and their baby. As the robber moved about the room where all the three were sleeping, the baby began to move and showed signs of awakening. The robber, fearing that the baby might wake and cry, and thus betray his presence, gently lifted the sleeping infant from his crib, and placed him just outside the front door. The baby awoke and began to cry. His crying also alerted the father and mother. They ran in its direction. Just as they ran out of the front door, the ceiling of their home caved in. Later, the robber was found dead beneath the ruins near the things he had stolen!

Sennacherib, the king of Assyria had determined to destroy Hezekiah and the people of Judah by all means. Hezekiah came boldly to God; he acknowledged God's sovereignty and Judah's total dependence on Him.

What a great lesson for us today: when we are faced with challenges of life. There is no problem that lacks solution before God. No matter how many enemies are fighting against you, if you are on the Lord's side, victory is sure.

Speaking through Isaiah, the Lord assured Hezekiah that Sennacherib and his army would "not come into this city, nor shoot an arrow there, nor come before it with shield . . . For I will defend this city to save it, for mine own sake . . . " God defended Hezekiah and the city of Judah according to His promise. He sent only one angel to the came of the Assyrians who killed 185,000 soldiers. Sennacherib himself was later killed by tow of his sons where he was worshipping in the house of his god.

If you are a child of God, there is nothing to fear. "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid of?" The Lord will defend and protect you. All His promises are yours for possession in Christ Jesus.

Thought For The Day: "If God be for us, who can be against us?"
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:32am On Mar 16, 2010
Daily Manna

Turn your Eyes Upon Him
Tuesday, March 16, 2010

TEXT: 2 KINGS 20:1-11

"Then he turned his face to the wall, and prayed unto the Lord, saying" (2 Kings 20:2).

Hezekiah became sick and was at the point of death. The Lord spoke to him through the prophet Isaiah saying, "Set thinge house in order; for thous shalt die, and not live."

Hezekiah's reaction is noteworthy: he turned his face to the wall, away from those standing around to be able to pray more earnestly. He determined not to be distracted and decided to concentrate on the Lord only. He then prayed with groaning and weeping, and he was heard.

Hezekiah's prayer is oe of the greatest prayers recorded in the Bible. He was a godly king who turned completely from the idols of the land to walk before the Lord in truth and with a fully devoted heart. His prayer was answered instantly as God sent a message back to him saying, "I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears, behold I will heal you . . . "

Our prayer can hardly draw divine attention like Hezekiah's prayer unless we are totally turned away from sin to live a life of devotion to God.

The tragedy of our time is that several church-going pleople like to sing the great ancient hymns of the victorious Church but have shunned the experience of salvation through genuine repentance from sin and faith in the atoning blood of Jesus.

We have lost our tears. Men no longer weep for their sins. There are no tears of joy again for that wonderful experience of salvation and for the conviction in the heart that God loves us.

But you can recover those tears if you have lost yours. You can experience joy if you have never tasted Calvary's peace. You can start right now by turning away from sin and promising the Lord never to look back. Believe Jesus to help you.

Thought For The Day: A broken spirit is a sacrifice acceptable to God.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:05pm On Mar 16, 2010
"Our churches are full of the nicest, kindest people who have never known the despair of guilt or the breathless wonder of forgiveness." -- P.T. Forsyth
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:47am On Mar 18, 2010
Daily Manna

Avoid Unequal Yoke
Wednesday, March 17, 2010

TEXT: 2 Kings 20:12-21

"And Isaiah said unto Hezekiah, Hear the word of the Lord. Behold, the days come, that all that is in thine house,and that which thy fathers have laid up in store unto this day, shall be carried into Babylon: nothing shall be left, saith the Lord" (2 Kings 20:16,17).

The King of Babylon had heard of all the miracles performed by God for Hezekiah - 185,000 Assyrian soldiers killed in one day, the dial of Ahaz going back 10 degrees and his miraculous healing by God. History had it that the king of Babylon was looking for an alliance against the King of Assyria with the King of Israel.

Hezekiah showed all his treasures, armoury and all, as proof of his wealth, resources and power and what a worthy ally he could be. By doing this, it brought out pride and ostentation in him and a great departure from his known life of reliance on God.

Hezekiah also lost opportunity to show the heathen King the very Source of all his goodness. To gain the applause of men, he forgot to sing the praises of God.

Unequal yoke with the haters of God in business, marriage, fellowship, and so on, leads to ruin and incurs divine displeasure.

Ostentation and pride of heart is folly that will not go unpunished by God, the Source of our goodness. God, out of His love for us preserved these lessons for our learning and admonition so that we will not make the same mistakes that those people made. Beware!

Thought for today: A man’s pride shall bring him low.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:51am On Mar 18, 2010
Daily Manna

Repent Now, Else . . .
Thursday, March 18, 2010

TEXT: 2 KINGS 21:1-18

"And he did that which was evil in the sight of the Lord, after the abominations of the heathen, whom the Lord cast out before the children of Israel" (2 Kings 21:2).

An actress, Marilyn Monroe was visited by Billy Graham during the presentation of a show. He said the Spirit of God had sent him to preach to her. After hearing what the preacher had to say, she said: ‘I don’t need your Jesus'. A week later, she was found dead in her apartment.

Manasseh was the son of Hezekiah, a man who had some faults, but of whom it is nevertheless said, "He did right in the sight of the Lord." To a great degree, he walked before God with a perfect heart, even as did David his father. Manasseh pulled down what his father had built up, and built up the idol temples which his father had pulled down. He was one of those who had the power of leading others astray from the truth and God. Among the rank of idolaters, Manasseh stood first, and it was the song and glory of the false priests that the king of Judah was on the side of the gods of the heathen.

The worst of men are those who, having much light, still go astray. You shall find among the greatest champions of the camp of hell, men who were brought up and educated in the truth of God’s word.

Those who pride themselves in rebellion and wickedness should not wait until the day of God’s wrath; for then it will be too late to repent.

Thought for today: God’s clock is ticking; don’t ignore His call to salvation!
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:56am On Mar 19, 2010
Daily Manna

Make Your Choice
Friday, March 19, 2010

TEXT: 2 Kings 21:19-26

"And he forsook the Lord God of his fathers, and walked not in the way of the Lord" (2 Kings 21:22).

In the world in which we live we are often confronted with divine choices each day. Usually, the choices we make often have far-reaching implications. As a philosopher once said, "if you choose not to choose, that in itself is a choice."

Amon, one of the kings of Judah, had the privilege and opportunity to use his position to influence the people of Israel in a godly way but he did not manage it well.

His father was a wicked and ungodly king and he also decided to follow the evil example of his father. The ways of the Lord are clearly laid out and taught in Israel and every Israelite was expected to choose the way of righteousness and obedience. God had also warned them that if they forsook Him, there would be punishment and judgment.

In the passage, Amon chose the wrong example of idolatry and wickedness (verse 22). It was then easy for the servants to conspire against him and he was killed in his own house because he had lost the favour and protection of God.

In our contemporary time, cases abound of people who met their waterloo by simply following sinful paths against all warning and pieces of advice. It is rampant these days to see people openly declaring "war" against God and his people as soon as they got to positions of honour in society or even in the church.

When we forsake the Lord, we are forsaking our Source of security and protection. Following the bad example of ungodly parents or people around us portends serious danger. We have our own choice to make. Our choice determines our destiny.

Thought for today: Choose you this day who you will serve.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:05am On Mar 19, 2010
Make Your Choice

[flash=500,400]http://media.chick.com/tract_8.swf[/flash]
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:12pm On Mar 20, 2010
Daily Manna

Escape for your Life
Saturday, March 20, 2010

TEXT: 2 KINGS 22:1-20

"Because thine heart was tender, and thou hast humbled thyself before the Lord, when thou heardest what I spake against this place, and against the inhabitants thereof, that they should become a desolation and a curse, and hast rent thy clothes, and wept before me; I also have heard thee, saith the Lord" (2 Kings 22:19).

The reason many people get lost today is not because God does not want to save them. Their ego is the stumblingblock in the way of their salvation.

However, our text today reveals the attitude of king Josiah, who assumed the throne in Judah at the age of eight years. He had the highest office in Judah and was quite comfortable. Notwithstanding, he knew that God was not a respecter of persons.

Josiah, therefore, consistently took progressive steps to be in good reckoning with God so as to escape His anger. Apart from the fact that he gave money to construction workers, who themselves proved faithful to repair the house of God, when he realized through the revelation of the contents of the newly discovered book of the law that Judah had deviated totally from the expectations of God into idolatry, he repented.

Although God said, "I will bring evil upon this place, and upon the inhabitants thereof", He spared Josiah on account of his repentant, humble and submissive attitude.

Be wise unto salvation and escape for your life. Nothing else can wash your sins away except the blood of Jesus. You need to repent, be humble and to submit to God.

Thought for today: It is not late; you can change today.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:07am On Mar 22, 2010
Daily Manna

Self-delusion
Sunday, March 21, 2010

TEXT: JEREMIAH 37:1-21

"Thus saith the Lord; Deceive not yourselves . . . " (Jeremiah 37:9).

Many people think today that their action or inaction will attract no consequence. That is wishful thinking. Sometimes, when people have a relief from a negative situation, they think that is the end of it and begin to rejoice instead of using the period to put their life in order.

This was the situation of the people of Judah during the reign of Zedekiah and the prophetic ministry of Jeremiah. God has given Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon power over Judah because the people would not accept God’s word from Jeremiah.

They hoped that Pharaoh would deliver them. God’s word to them was, "deceive not yourselves." God said, the Chaldeans will destroy Judah and the people must become their captives. They sought for God’s mind, but they were not willing to do it.

This is the attitude of many people today. When God demands repentance, they refuse and engage in self-delusion. They go about working out their own righteousness. They get involved in religious rituals, attend religious meetings, pretend to be seeking God while indeed they do not care about His will.

We cannot hide from God. Our secret activities are open to Him. Jonah felt his running away to Tarshish would hide him from God but he was wrong; the eyes of the Lord run to and fro the whole world. Let’s not deceive ourselves.

Thought for today: Self-deception leads to eternal ruin.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:09am On Mar 22, 2010
Daily Manna

God Will Deliver You
Monday, March 22, 2010

TEXT: Jeremiah 38:1-13

"Then took they Jeremiah, and cast him into the dungeon of Malchiah the son of Hammelech, that was in the court of the prison: and they let down Jeremiah with cords. And in the dungeon there was no water, but mire: so Jeremiah sunk in the mire" (Jeremiah 38:6).

We all love to protect ourselves from danger or anything that tends to threaten our security or harm us. Nobody would like to walk into a deep well of marshy water with his or her eyes wide open. But the fact remains that we are daily confronted with danger, especially when we belong to the minority that stands for the truth and righteousness in a hostile environment.

Jeremiah was a notable prophet of God who delivered God’s message to the princes and the kings of Israel without fear or favour. What he said was in fulfillment of God’s words concerning backslidden Israel. He was opposed, persecuted and thrown into a pit with the aim of killing him. But God used a servant in the king’s palace to deliver him and save his life.

Persecution are part and parcel of the Christian life. Every genuine child of God must have a cross to bear. Jeremiah was in the will of God, yet, suffered persecution. The dungeon into which he was thrown was full of mire. Talk of rubbing in pepper into a festering sore! But the Lord delivered him. As the scripture affirms, God knows how to deliver the righteous. When we commit ourselves to stand for righteousness and speak the truth at all times, our lives may be under threat, but God will defend and deliver us from every danger. "He that keepeth Israel will neither sleep nor slumber." As we keep serving Him and doing His will, let us remember that, underneath us are the everlasting arms.

Let us desire and determine to do His will and He will take care of our security.

Thought for today: "The Lord shall deliver me from every evil work."
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:05pm On Mar 23, 2010
Daily Manna

False Sense of Security
Tuesday, March 23, 2010

TEXT: Jeremiah 38:14-27

"But Jeremiah said, They shall not deliver thee. Obey, I beseech thee, the voice of the Lord, which I speak unto thee: so it shall be well unto thee, and thy soul shall live" (Jeremiah 38:20).

The word of the Lord had clearly laid it bare that death by famine, sword and pestilence awaited those who lingered in Jerusalem, but that those who ventured to the Chaldeans at that time would live.  Jeremiah, the prophet, was misunderstood by the king’s lieutenants who wrongly accused him of weakening the hands of the soldiers remaining in the city.  He was regarded as subversive and unpatriotic.

King Zedekiah, out of fear, did not help matters either as he tried to extricate himself, leaving Jeremiah at the mercy of his accusers.  The prophet would have died in the miry dungeon but for the intervention of a concerned eunuch, an Ethiopian servant of the king who was brave enough to tell the king of the evil the king’s lieutenants had done to Jeremiah and how he was about to die in the dungeon.

Zedekiah played hide-and-seek game while seeking to rescue Jeremiah, trading Jeremiah’s safety for an assurance from the prophet to keep a lid on the king’s disclosure to him.  The less men fear God, the more they fear men; often, they dare not act according to their own judgments and consciences as Zedekiah did in this case.

The king still remained tardy until Jerusalem was captured.  He had the premonition on what was going to happen and privileged information on what to do, but he squandered them.

How often have men in authority allowed calamities to come upon those under their watch, only because of timidity!  Since we will account for our deeds in the offices we occupy, it is right for us to begin to act boldly, wisely and well, thinking less of our own selfish ends and personal safety.

Most of all, everyone must take his security in his hand by hiding under the refuge that is in Jesus Christ through faith in the atoning blood of the Lamb.

Thought for today: True security is in Jesus.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:45am On Mar 24, 2010
Daily Manna

Danger of Negligence
Wednesday, March 24, 2010

TEXT: Jeremiah 39:1-10

"But the Chaldeans' army pursued after them, and overtook Zedekiah in the plains of Jericho: and when they had taken him, they brought him up to Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon to Riblah in the land of Hamath, where he gave judgment upon him" (Jeremiah 39:5).

An incident was reported about a man whose house was about to collapse due to whirlwind that was raging heavily. This man went and hid under the roof. Meanwhile, a rescue team came with a helicopter urging this man to hold to a rescue rope thrown down to him. He refused, claiming that he believed God will help him.

This is exactly the undoing of Zedekiah king of Judah. He ignored the warnings and the counsel of Jeremiah the prophet and he paid dearly for it. He lost his life and the kingdom. The people of Judah were carried captive. Then Nebuzaradan the captain of the guard carried away captive into Babylon the remnant of the people that remained in the city . . . .

Sinners who refuse to repent will end up in hell. Negligence of the warning of God is the major reason why sinners will still suffer in hell even after Jesus had died on the cross for the salvation of mankind. God is willing to forgive all repentant and returning sinners. It is time that everyone of us should seek refuge in Christ before it is too late.

Thought for today: To obey is better than sacrifice.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:54am On Mar 26, 2010
Daily Manna

Trust in God Brings Favour
Thursday, March 25, 2010

TEXT: Jeremiah 39:11-18

"Now Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon gave charge concerning Jeremiah to Nebuzar-adan the captain of the guard, saying, Take him, and look well to him, and do him no harm; but do unto him even as he shall say unto thee" (Jeremiah 39:11,12).

It was C.H. Spurgeon of blessed memory who said, ‘After all, what can a man do without the Lord’s permission. He puts a bit into the mouth of rage, and a bridle upon the head of power. Let us fear the Lord and we shall have no one else to fear. No cup of cold water given to a despised prophet of God shall be without its reward; and if we stand up for Jesus, Jesus will stand up for us’.

God had promised to see Jeremiah through all the troubles and ministerial challenges he would face. The Babylonians in their superstition had respect for magicians and fortune tellers and because Jeremiah had counselled cooperation with Babylon and predicted victory for them they treated him as a seer: they accorded him special treatment and favour on the instruction of the king. And Ebed-melech, a despised Ethiopian who showed kindness to Jeremiah was promised deliverance by the Lord.

Believers and servants of the Lord are assured safe landing in their flight through life. The sea may roar, and the wind may blow, the promise of God for His children remain unchallengeable. It is only very important that we exercise absolute faith in Him who has called us to grace and glory. Our faith will be rewarded, just as the faith of Jeremiah and prophets of old was honoured.

Whatever challenges you are facing in your personal or ministerial journey, always rest assured that you will overcome. Because the Captain of the host is the one to whom belongeth all power. As we support the Church of Christ and servants of God, giving a cup of cold water when necessary, we will be dully rewarded if we faint not.

Thought for today: There is a promise of deliverance for Christ’s faithful followers.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:05pm On Mar 26, 2010
Daily Manna

He Does What He Says
Friday, March 26, 2010

TEXT: Jeremiah 40:1-6

"And the captain of the guard took Jeremiah, and said unto him, The Lord thy God hath pronounced this evil upon this place. Now the Lord hath brought it, and done according as he hath said" (Jeremiah 40:2,3).

In the days of Jeremiah, most of the people who heard him declare the judgment God was bringing upon Judah through the king of Babylon because of their sins mocked and scorned him as an old religious bigot. They persecuted him and continued in the recklessness of their sins. Backed by their king and some false prophets who sought to be popular with the people by preaching to them what they loved to hear, they thought of the prophecies of Jeremiah as a tale told only in the dream land. But alas, every word of God through Jeremiah came to pass just as they were prophesied. God said it and He did it. Now it was too late for them to amend their ways.

It is often common to find scoffers make jest of the word of God, particularly, the prophecies that have to do with the Rapture, the Second Coming of Christ and the judgment of the world. They dismiss these truths as fallacy. God has the power to bring to pass everything He has said. He did it with regard to the world in the time of Noah, Lot, the children of Israel in Egypt and now with the case of Judah in the days of Jeremiah. It is not wise at all to doubt God’s word and His ability to fulfill it. Those who have doubted have always lived to regret it.

As believers, let us take consolation from the lesson of today. Let our faith be strengthened and our hope brightened in the fact that God will do as He said He will do. Time cannot change the word of God neither can the popular opinions of men. Blessed always are those who believe, for there shall be a performance of that which is told them from the Lord.

Thought for today: Those who doubt God’s word do so to their own hurt!
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:59pm On Mar 27, 2010
Daily Manna

Between the Dove and the Serpent
Saturday, March 27, 2010

TEXT: JEREMIAH 40:7-16

"And said unto him, Dost thou certainly know that Baalis the king of the Ammonites hath sent Ishmael the son of Nethaniah to slay thee? But Gedaliah the son of Ahikam believed them not" (Jeremiah 40:14).

When the Lord Jesus Christ counseled His disciples to be "wise as serpents, and harmless as doves" (Matthew 10:16), He struck a very important chord of wisdom. He alluded to two opposite extremes – the extreme simplicity of the dove that almost verges on stupidity and the excessive cunning wisdom of the serpent. By this, Christ’s disciples were expected not to provoke any trouble, at the same time, they must, with sensitivity, speed and skill of the serpent, escape dangers.

Had Gedaliah the son of Ahikam applied simplicity and wisdom, he would not have died prematurely to abruptly end a profitable rule. At a time when the Jews were carried away to Babylon, the king of Babylon, with good intention, placed Gedaliah as governor over the remnants of the Jews in Judah. The confidence the king of Babylon reposed in Gedaliah was quite justified, not only by his loyalty to him but also by his admirable performance and goodwill among the Jews. A man of integrity, he gained rapid popularity among the Jews at home and in the diaspora and among the Chaldeans.

Johanan, and the captains of the forces that were in the fields, came to Gedaliah to Mizpah to intimate him of the evil plot of Ishmael to eliminate him. Johanan offered to prevent the impending disaster by professionally assassinating Ishmael. Gedaliah was too innocent; too large-hearted to believe their report. He harboured no suspicion because he had no ill-motive towards anyone. But little did he realise that there were some wolves, like Ishmael, around him. Ishmael was of the royal seed and was enviously eyeing the throne. He, it was, who eventually killed Gedaliah.

We are expected to be "blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation" among whom we "shine as lights in the world" (Philippians 2:15). But, because we are in the midst of wolves, the Lord requires us to have the wisdom of the serpent.

Thought for today: Wisdom is better than strength.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:10am On Mar 28, 2010
Power for Your Hour!

Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:21am On Mar 28, 2010
Daily Manna

Rely on God's Word
Sunday, March 28, 2010

TEXT: PSALM 119:169-170

"Let my cry come near before thee, O Lord: give me understanding according to thy word" (Psalm 119:169).

In certain parts of Dr. Livingstone’s travels, he tells us that his guides were either so ignorant or so determined to deceive him, that he could have done far better without them than with them; and he had constantly to refer to his compass, lest he should be led astray.

The psalmist, apparently in great distress sends his petition to God through prayer. He placed his confidence in the truth and reliability of God’s word. He believed that only God could deliver him from all troubles and afflictions, out of the power of sin, Satan, and the world; from all fears, ruin and destruction. And counted only the wisdom and understanding of God’s word his needed guide through the uncharted minefields of the world.

If we do not have an understanding of God’s word, there is the likelihood that we’ll be deceived either by false religion or deceitful men. This world is full of people who place their confidence in guided missiles, fighter planes, bombs, automatic rifles, knives and spears. Some people expect the government or some political system to solve their problems and deliver them in times of trouble.

Like Livingstone’s guides, the world is full of lies. When the world tells you the lie that there is no God and that intricate life just evolved by chance, believe God, the Creator of all things, who holds man accountable. When the world tells you a lie that easy divorce is a good solution to marriage conflicts, believe God, who says marriage is for life and that divorce and remarriage is adultery. When the world tells you a lie that homosexuality is an acceptable “alternate life style,” believe God, who calls it perversion and an abomination. Do not be guided by the opinions of men, the superstitions of idolatrous gods, the philosophies and ideologies respected in society. Let your reliance and your desire be on God and on His word only.

Thought for today: God’s word will never fail.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (52) (Reply)

MY Experience With The Supernatural, Ghost And Spirits Do Exist. / Synagogue Church Of All Nations Building Collapses (Picture) / Famous People Who Mocked God & What Happened To Them! A Must Read

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 202
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.