Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,342 members, 7,808,203 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:38 AM

Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. (9681 Views)

Tomato & Cucumber Seedlings From Borno Green House / Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA / Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by jethro2: 12:03am On Jun 29, 2016
Tomatoes at 4 weeks after transplanting

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by jethro2: 12:08am On Jun 29, 2016
Closer view of tomato plant at 4 weeks

1 Like

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by jethro2: 12:10am On Jun 29, 2016
The plants at 6 weeks old

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by jethro2: 12:11am On Jun 29, 2016
Still at 6 weeks

1 Like

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by jethro2: 12:17am On Jun 29, 2016
And then we build a bigger one. What does that tells you?
Did the project succeeds or not?

The current picture will justify that by tomorrow

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by Mercie123(f): 1:30am On Jun 29, 2016
jethro2:
And then we build a bigger one.
What does that tells you?

Did the project succeeds or not?

The current picture will justify that by tomorrow

Yayyy!!! It worked. Thank God!!!

1 Like

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by nikaShow(m): 5:35am On Jun 29, 2016
Wow !

Jethro , I remain immensely impressed by your dedication.

I also am following a locally made screen house. Made by some brilliant young minds in ibadan, Nigeria....they are also growing tomatoes, they are doing aeropony, I'm watching out to see the fate of the tomatoes, the screen house they built is still expensive, fabricated locally as well, but looks great for the job, but I want to see the crops result.

Pls, keep up the persistent great work, that gold is close !

3 Likes

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by kengeorge: 8:07am On Jun 29, 2016
nikaShow:
Wow !

I also am following a locally made screen house. Made by some brilliant young minds in ibadan, Nigeria....they are also growing tomatoes, they are doing aeropony, I'm watching out to see the fate of the tomatoes, the screen house they built is still expensive, fabricated locally as well, but looks great for the job, but I want to see the crops result.

@Nikashow please which materia did they use for the top of you screen house?, looks like net as well

secondly, how did you nurse the tomatoes?,
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by Ademat7(m): 8:12am On Jun 29, 2016
following
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by nikaShow(m): 11:25am On Jun 29, 2016
kengeorge:

@Nikashow please which materia did they use for the top of you screen house?, looks like net as well

secondly, how did you nurse the tomatoes?,

The top is first covered with nylon and then there's the net as well.

1 Like

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by Ademat7(m): 3:42pm On Jun 29, 2016
nikaShow:

The top is first covered with nylon and then there's the net as well.
wow! at the partial side view,can you help with cost and size of each
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by MsJJ(f): 7:54pm On Jun 29, 2016
following keenly
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by Mercie123(f): 10:39pm On Jun 29, 2016
Ademat7:

wow! at the partial side view,can you help with cost and size of each

nikaShow:
Wow !

Since @nikashow said the one he uploaded is expensive, please let us not distract ourselves. Let's allow @jethro2 to take us through this step by step. This thread shouldn't be sabotaged unnecessarily. If nobody wants to learn the nitty-gritty of this, which I consider a great discovery, please me I want to learn o...just my humble opinion!

1 Like

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by jethro2: 11:11pm On Jun 29, 2016
Mercie123:
Yayyy!!! It worked. Thank God!!!
Yea Sis. It work.
The tomatoes are fruiting

2 Likes

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by jethro2: 11:22pm On Jun 29, 2016
And to answer the question...
Did we succeed

Yes. We did.

The tomatoes are flowering and fruiting.

Though its not yet celebration galore.
But our tomatoes escape the " Ebola Scourge".

The tomato plant as of today

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by jethro2: 11:25pm On Jun 29, 2016
more Pictures of the tomatoes as of today

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by jethro2: 11:45pm On Jun 29, 2016
Why the story??

Farmers in Nigeria has been having several issues with growing vegetables successfully.
Each time we overcome one challenges, another one spring up.
When we were told at our trainings that we should do some net house.

Our response was...... Its too expensive.
Considering the material use are all imported.

But in a situation where my team worked on several acres of tomatoes from November to March yet we hardly harvest a 10kg basket per week is disastrous.

This make us to have a big rethink.

picture of some of the tomato farm that never survive

2 Likes

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by jethro2: 11:54pm On Jun 29, 2016
Several challenges from
Nematode infestation to
Septoria blight
through fusarium
and Tuta Absoluta.
It has been one form of trouble to another.

And then we have a rethink.

Let's build a small one using the materials we have at our disposal.

All materials were source locally.
The nylon cover
The net
Bamboo
etc.

The price was drastically reduced.
The last i heard Dizengolf the main importer of greenhouse sells a 15m by 8m for 1.5m.

Hope I am still current??

After this, my team build a bigger size of 20m by 8m.

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by Mercie123(f): 12:59am On Jun 30, 2016
jethro2:
Several challenges from
Nematode infestation to
Septoria blight
through fusarium
and Tuta Absoluta.

The nylon cover
The net
Bamboo
etc.

The last i heard Dizengolf the main importer of greenhouse sells a 15m by 8m for 1.5m.

God is great!!!

There are things I'm coveting in you right now: your patience, persistence, determination, passion and enthusiasm is second to none. I'm greatly challenged. More grace and wisdom to you ma'am.

I'm jotting my questions down already, I'm only waiting for you to drop your pen...lol

2 Likes

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by DuduEkun: 2:33am On Jun 30, 2016
jethro2:
Several challenges from
Nematode infestation to
Septoria blight
through fusarium
and Tuta Absoluta.

The nylon cover
The net
Bamboo
etc.

Ahaaa! So the experiment succeeded. Praise God. And I have been so informed by it.

I have started designing the frame for a 50m by 15m (750sqm) greenhouse for starters. Please someone be kind to advice me on if and where in Nigeria I can get to purchase:

1. UV treated Polythelene cover (is importation from china feasible or even advisable?).
2. drippers
3. mulch Polythelene
4. Good seed for middle belt temperature.

What is the average cost of each of these materials ? Want to start operations by December.

Someone please come to my rescue if I am pipe dreaming for a starter.
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by Ademat7(m): 8:03am On Jun 30, 2016
Mercie123:

Since @nikashow said the one he uploaded is expensive, please let us not distract ourselves. Let's allow @jethro2 to take us through this step by step. This thread shouldn't be sabotaged unnecessarily. If nobody wants to learn the nitty-gritty of this, which I consider a great discovery, please me I want to learn o...just my humble opinion!
noted
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by nikaShow(m): 8:05am On Jun 30, 2016
Mercie123:

We are all following Jethro 's story, the thread is on green house farming , and I shared my experience also...and am sure she'll welcome other people to share their local attempt at constructing a screen house...
'Expensive is relative' its still several hundred thousands cheaper than dizengoff's.

Keep an open mind...you'll learn from it.

2 Likes

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by nikaShow(m): 8:09am On Jun 30, 2016
jethro2:
more Pictures of the tomatoes as of today

Wow, this staking is interesting , the twines seem to be vertical rather than horizontal? I am assuming this isn't from the top ?
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by Healthilyea: 9:19am On Jun 30, 2016
Big kudos to u Jethro, thanks again and again for inspiring people like me.
I am also trying to put together a greenhouse structure, here are a few also found inspirational.
I can't give specific locations. Source: Instagram

1 Like

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by Healthilyea: 9:30am On Jun 30, 2016
More

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by Healthilyea: 9:40am On Jun 30, 2016
nikaShow:

Wow, this staking is interesting , the twines seem to be vertical rather than horizontal? I am assuming this isn't from the top ?
I guess they are the Determinate variety?
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by DuduEkun: 11:11pm On Jul 01, 2016
DuduEkun:

Ahaaa! So the experiment succeeded. Praise God. And I have been so informed by it.

I have started designing the frame for a 50m by 15m (750sqm) greenhouse for starters. Please someone be kind to advice me on if and where in Nigeria I can get to purchase:

1. UV treated Polythelene cover (is importation from china feasible or even advisable?).
2. drippers
3. mulch Polythelene
4. Good seed for middle belt temperature.

What is the average cost of each of these materials ? Want to start operations by December.

Someone please come to my rescue if I am pipe dreaming for a starter.

Is somebody out there? If there is a kind tomato grower with greenhouse experience please help by responding to my questions. This tread has suddenly gone quiet!
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by jethro2: 11:51pm On Jul 01, 2016
DuduEkun:

Is somebody out there? If there is a kind tomato grower with greenhouse experience please help by responding to my questions. This tread has suddenly gone quiet!

Most of your requirements are imported material.
Our greenhouse material are locally sourced.
The only one I can attend to is the drip set.
A 1000m cost about N100,000.
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by jethro2: 11:59pm On Jul 01, 2016
Constructing a greenhouse is interesting.
Bringing down the cost is highly essential.
Which is what my team has been able to achieve.

Depending on your location, you can construct a green house at a reasonable price.

Several people has been calling for us to construct for them.

What my team does is train on how to build yours. That means you have to be on the farm to partake in our practical training.
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by DuduEkun: 9:18am On Jul 02, 2016
jethro2:
Constructing a greenhouse is interesting.
Bringing down the cost is highly essential.
Which is what my team has been able to achieve.

Depending on your location, you can construct a green house at a reasonable price.

Several people has been calling for us to construct for them.

What my team does is train on how to build yours. That means you have to be on the farm to partake in our practical training.

Thanks for reaching out.

Basically what I read is that I have to import the UV treated Polyethylene cover? I see quotes on Alibaba anybody wan to share their experience on ordering on Alibaba platform?

1000m drippers looks quit pricey for the NGN 100,000 especially considering that I will probably need 2000 m to effectively cover 15m by 50m green house plan. Any suggestions for knocking this cost down significantly? Will importing them with the polyethylene cover provide cost advantage?

Should I assume that the drippers which you have suggested with the price is a gravitational dripper rather that pressure drippers?

Many thanks for providing with you experience to avoid making your past mistakes. I am not a genius if I repeated peoples past mistakes am I?
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by Onegai(f): 9:43am On Jul 02, 2016
Jethro2 please where is your greenhouse located? Do you keep records on what you did, materials, yield, organic or inorganic fertilisers and pesticides?
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by jethro2: 12:37pm On Jul 02, 2016
Onegai:
Jethro2 please where is your greenhouse located? Do you keep records on what you did, materials, yield, organic or inorganic fertilisers and pesticides?

Our farm is in Ago Amodu, Saki East LGA of Oyo State.
We grow purely organic vegetables

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fresh Lettuce.... The New Green Crude Oil / Buyers are needed for Dl-methionine, Vitamin C, DCP, 65% and 72% Fish Meal / Ten Things Farmers Should Do In The New Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.