Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:30 AM

My Friend From Another Bank Wants Me To Give Out His Debtor's A/c Balance - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Friend From Another Bank Wants Me To Give Out His Debtor's A/c Balance (976 Views)

Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These / My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) / Diamond Bank To Merge With Another Bank? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Friend From Another Bank Wants Me To Give Out His Debtor's A/c Balance by bolaskyz: 1:12pm On Sep 04, 2009
I got into this dilemma sometimes with a friend of mine whom i have known right from our secondary schooldays.His parents are also family friends of ours.We both work in different banks (I work in a First generation bank while his is a new generation bank).Recently he called me to inquire about a particular account-he wants to know the balance on the man's a/c and possibly some other recent transactions. I told him i'll get back to him but after considering so many factors such as the ethics of the profession,duty of confidentiality,customer's rights et.c I felt it would be gross miscarriage of privilege to give out a customers info to a third party (notwithstanding the familiarity/relationship and the '', what's the big deal? are we not both bankers?, it won't cost you anything, '' syndrome). As a matter of fact I wouldn't give my dad my mum's a/c info and vice versa (They both have a/cs in the same bank).

After confiding in my direct boss and seeking for his advice, I called up my friend and gave him one really silly,flimsy excuse-even a stupid idiot would know I cooked it, something like i was denied access to the a/c bla bla bla.He felt very bad about it-infact he couldn't come to terms with my excuse cos he doesn't know why a full staff who interfaces with customers will not be able to access a current a/c. He called me later to inform me that the man owed him a sum of money and had issued a chq-he only wanted to confirm if he has money in his account before paying in the cheque.I still maintained I couldn't access the account.He then made a remark that he felt since he has a friend who works in the bank why not just ask him,afterall I could ask the same from him and he would oblige me, sounded so much like it's alright to do it et.c.

Bet this is really costing me the friendship. He wasn't the same again, almost did his wedding without informing me. It's so bad am really thinking i shouldn't have done what I did though it wasn't right to betray a customer's confidence in one too. If I had said outrightly I wasn't giving him cos it's not right then he would feel I was trying to make him look like a bad banker who'll compromise standards to achieve selfish ends.

Please tell what you feel I should or shouldn't have done. Have I been overzealous?
Re: My Friend From Another Bank Wants Me To Give Out His Debtor's A/c Balance by kidsam: 1:19pm On Sep 04, 2009
Bolaskyz, you did the best thing, and i hope we have alot of people like you who will look sentiments in the face and do the right thing. I think this is a classical example of what happened to our banks where some people could collect loans without following due process. Now look at what is happening to the loyal friends, i can tell you that if you had given that your friend the information and it bommerangs, he or she won't think twice before he or she squeals and you will be in trouble or even loose your job.
However, i wish next time, you will be able to look sentiments in the face again and say NO BECAUSE IT IS NOT PROPER TO DIVULGE SUCH INFO.
God bless you
Re: My Friend From Another Bank Wants Me To Give Out His Debtor's A/c Balance by candylips(m): 2:26pm On Sep 04, 2009
You can get fired and sent to jail if you reveal confidential info.
u did the right thing. tell him to stick a finger up his ass . he is not a good friend angry
Re: My Friend From Another Bank Wants Me To Give Out His Debtor's A/c Balance by mccloud224(m): 9:56pm On Sep 04, 2009
@bolaskyz

Hmmm, this sounds very familiar.If your friend works at oceanic bank and went schooled in Ife, then i might know (very personally, lol )

Dont NOT divulge those details.It could cost you a lot more than your job.
Re: My Friend From Another Bank Wants Me To Give Out His Debtor's A/c Balance by olagboye(m): 10:07am On Sep 07, 2009
You did the right thing bro. No apologies!
Re: My Friend From Another Bank Wants Me To Give Out His Debtor's A/c Balance by Ziggyjoel(f): 5:24pm On Sep 07, 2009
did i hear u say he is also a banker? and am sure he also knows d rules of the game? then i would say he dont love u. he dont like u. be strong my man, but i like d stylish approach u used. keep it up my man.
Re: My Friend From Another Bank Wants Me To Give Out His Debtor's A/c Balance by naijatoday: 6:42pm On Sep 07, 2009
You did the right thing. If something has happened, he could have mentioned your name and the two of you will have continued your friendship in Ikoyi prison.
Re: My Friend From Another Bank Wants Me To Give Out His Debtor's A/c Balance by fislon: 4:38pm On Sep 09, 2009
Why din't your friend tell you how much is written on the cheque then give you a yes or no question as per if the account balance is up to the amount on the cheque. That is not a reason enough to end your friendship if He really loves you.
Re: My Friend From Another Bank Wants Me To Give Out His Debtor's A/c Balance by canuck(m): 8:16pm On Sep 10, 2009
The bane of our society is "man-know-man" and therefore gets away with murder.

Hats off to you; you did the right thing. Your friend wanted to use you - If he has a cheque from the debtor, he should attempt to clear it; what's the big deal?
Re: My Friend From Another Bank Wants Me To Give Out His Debtor's A/c Balance by diehard1: 8:20pm On Sep 10, 2009
you took the right decision. he knows dat u could go to jail, what if u denied signing something like bank guarantors form for loan, am sure he will kill you. he no be your friend period
Re: My Friend From Another Bank Wants Me To Give Out His Debtor's A/c Balance by Mustay(m): 7:54am On Sep 14, 2009
You 'd better stand by your professional ethics.

(1) (Reply)

Is It More Difficult To Wake Up For Work On Monday Mornings? / Way Forward From The Teeming Rate Of Unemployment / Build

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.