Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,851 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:14 AM

Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market (16999 Views)

Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 / Naira Falls Against US Dollar / Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by dre11(m): 7:21am On Jun 28, 2016
The naira fell to 351 to the United States dollar at the parallel market and slightly to 282 at the new interbank market on Monday.

Following the floating of the naira and the adoption of a single structure through the interbank/autonomous window, the currency closed last week at 281 to the greenback at the official market.

The President, Association of Bureau De Change Operators of Nigeria, Alhaji Aminu Gwadabe, in an interview with our correspondent, said the naira dropped to 351 at the parallel market from between 346 and 348 due to persistent liquidity issue.

He said, “Lack of liquidity in both the interbank and parallel markets is what is affecting the naira exchange rate to the dollar.

“Right now, the only thing that the market is scavenging for is the export proceeds. There is a liquidity crisis.”

Asked if demands have shifted away from the parallel market as a result of the new forex policy, Gwadabe said, “How can demand shift away from the parallel market when you have about 41 items that cannot obtain forex from the official market? You cannot completely kill the black market, you can only formalise it.”

The Central Bank of Nigeria, which has been intervening in the interbank market since it abandoned its peg of N197-199 to the dollar, asked for bid-offer quotes from currency traders on Monday as it sold dollars at the interbank market to boost liquidity, Reuters quoted traders to have said.

After abandoning the naira’s 16-month old exchange rate peg a week ago, the central bank sold dollars at an auction to clear a backlog of demand and keep markets active.

It sold an undisclosed amount of dollars on Monday. However, the interbank market traded a total volume of $32m just before the market closed, which traders attributed to the central bank’s intervention.

The interbank market opened at 8am with no activity for more than three hours.

“Liquidity is still relatively thin,” one trader said, adding that clients were waiting to see where the naira settled eventually before they would begin to participate in the market.

Currency traders on Monday said they had tightened the differential between bids and offers to N0.5 from one naira set when the currency was floated last week to try to boost trading and attract liquidity.

Prior to the old exchange rate peg, the currency market traded on N0.5 spreads, they said.

Nigeria’s interbank market has traded for six days after the central bank forex reforms. Traders are expecting substantial currency flows from oil companies and exporters to start to trickle in from this week, they said.

http://punchng.com/naira-falls-351dollar-black-market/
Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by nnachukz(m): 7:27am On Jun 28, 2016
No end in sight.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by FreeWorld23: 7:30am On Jun 28, 2016
angry
Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by Jaycool18(m): 7:31am On Jun 28, 2016
Back n forth back n forth

From 350-282-348

When will one naira equal a dollar for Pete's sake

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by SeverusSnape(m): 7:31am On Jun 28, 2016
I see no changes

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by Project400: 7:42am On Jun 28, 2016
**Sigh**

We're back to the old situation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by Nobody: 8:14am On Jun 28, 2016
I wan clear today...More Greens for me... Paypal Exchanger don hear am
Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by Nobody: 9:43am On Jun 28, 2016
na dem say the new forex policy go benefit naira as against dollar but waiting we dey get na darkness by the APC incompetent governance taking us back to stone age

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by trishapal(f): 9:44am On Jun 28, 2016
O Lawwwwd!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by Nobody: 9:44am On Jun 28, 2016
It's simple. The naira will not appreciate until we start producing the foods we import, stop refining the crude our oil abroad, until our universities are world class.

It's just demand and supply. Naira isn't demanded as dollar is.

I don't see the naira appreciating till Dangote refinery starts working in the first quarter of 2019.

My thoughts though.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by amiibaby(f): 9:45am On Jun 28, 2016
The dolard ruining our coun3 which way naija

2 Likes

Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by anigbajumo(m): 9:45am On Jun 28, 2016
Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by mfujah(m): 9:45am On Jun 28, 2016
fall more biaaatch!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by Destined2win: 9:45am On Jun 28, 2016
A lot of instability in this government

2 Likes

Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by Nobody: 9:45am On Jun 28, 2016
YASS keep Dropping, the Dollar is the best in the world...No ARGUMENTS...I LOVE BUHARINOMICS

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by Nobody: 9:46am On Jun 28, 2016
Apcccccccccc change. Una thank you for dis una change

8 Likes

Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by Demainman1: 9:47am On Jun 28, 2016
CBN 'floated' naira and now naira 'sank' again grin

Just leave naira to dey 'swim' joor!

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by kendrick9(m): 9:47am On Jun 28, 2016
when you have a certificateless dullard running the economy, what do u expect? buhari has no clue about economics,this is the result..what a shame

7 Likes

Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by Bsc(m): 9:47am On Jun 28, 2016
Speechless that's how This Government makes me feel... I'm lost words..
How did we even get here?

4 Likes

Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by Dronedude(m): 9:47am On Jun 28, 2016
Hoh mah gwad angry embarassed
Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by truthspeaks: 9:48am On Jun 28, 2016
grin Trial n error policy govt. Whr are d Apc goons/economists. Come defend d naira oo. I wonder wat Apc will use to campaign in 2019, two years is going and no achievement. President still blaming past govt, chasing after opposition n rolling out political drama week in/week out and if not for d Brexit situation, am sure Buhari wld have travelled by now...Buhari sef grin cheesy cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by Rilwon: 9:48am On Jun 28, 2016
Smh
Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by SweetBoyFriend(m): 9:49am On Jun 28, 2016
I love it.
The wailers will not appreciate the good work Buhari is doing.

I wish Buhari will rule Nigeria for 100 years

6 Likes

Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by Sultanchidi(m): 9:49am On Jun 28, 2016
God help dis nation, hopefully d economy wil gradually improve

3 Likes

Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by Leopard2A7: 9:49am On Jun 28, 2016
omenka, where are you
Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by mrkings84(m): 9:50am On Jun 28, 2016
Pls alert me when it has got to 500 so I can change my 100 dollars

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by tolexy007(m): 9:50am On Jun 28, 2016
cry cry
Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by Estimable(m): 9:51am On Jun 28, 2016
Buharia govt, and he did it.
Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by tolexy007(m): 9:51am On Jun 28, 2016
Bolustic:
It's simple. The naira will not appreciate until we start producing the foods we import, stop refining the crude our oil abroad, until our universities are world class.

It's just demand and supply. Naira isn't demanded as dollar is.

I don't see the naira appreciating till Dangote refinery starts working in the first quarter of 2019.

My thoughts though.

That is the truth

4 Likes

Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by chillingbabe: 9:51am On Jun 28, 2016
I just need 200 dollars sad
Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by Lanre4uonly(m): 9:52am On Jun 28, 2016
It is well with our naira.
Re: Naira Falls To 351/dollar At Black Market by wellmax(m): 9:53am On Jun 28, 2016
Asked if demands have shifted away from the parallel market as a result of the new forex policy, Gwadabe said, “How can demand shift away from the parallel market when you have about 41 items that cannot obtain forex from the official market? You cannot completely kill the black market, you can only formalise it.”

Banning 41 items from accessing FOREX from the official market is a good move. But Nigerians still prefer to import, thereby making the black market to flourish. Of course black market operators get their Dollar by round tripping the Govt supplies, taking advantage of the situation.
I tell you there are several people happy with the current situation. But its just a matter if time. Nigeria will rise again.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ECOWAS Seeks Proposals For Single Currency Logo, Name / Thousands Troop Out For The Lagos AYEEN 2016 Screening Exercise - Photos / How To Buy Things From The US. And Get It Here In Nigeria!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.