Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,479 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:11 PM

I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help (31030 Views)

See What My Neighbour Is Keeping As Pet (photo) / Viral: Zimbabwean Woman Tames Lion As Pet / I Love Rabbits... I Want One As Pet... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by IMASTEX: 10:07am On Jun 28, 2016
I have this long interest and passion to keep birds as pet. I have severally caught some few birds which I intended keeping as pet. The shocking news is that I usually wake up the following day to meet them dead, even before I could get a bird cage. I do have this bad feelings been somehow responsible for the deaths, and I am equally not pleased not to have my long desires of keeping a bird as pet come through.
Please, I need advise on the following:
1. What could be exactly responsible for the deaths?
2. What is the name of this particular breeds?
3. Can they be kept as pet. If no, which do you recommend? And if Yes, how?

Thanks for your response

4 Shares

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by IMASTEX: 10:20am On Jun 28, 2016
This is where I temporary keep them

1 Like

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by darkenkach(m): 11:43am On Jun 28, 2016
Why not try the pigeons? I doubt if you can keep that kind of bird as pet.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by IMASTEX: 1:13pm On Jun 28, 2016
darkenkach:
Why not try the pigeons? I doubt if you can keep that kind of bird as pet.
Okay, just that I needed a bird a bit smaller
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Seun(m): 3:07pm On Jun 28, 2016
**** Plan for them before getting new ones.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by IMASTEX: 3:53pm On Jun 28, 2016
Seun:
I think they died of thirst. Did you provide them with water? Dehydration kills much faster than hunger. Plan for them before getting new ones.
Yes, I made provision for their water and even feed.
Okay, it is just that I am a bit confuse if they can be kept as pet. So that I don't get to buy a bird cage and at the end not able to use it.

2 Likes

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by GURION: 5:00pm On Jun 28, 2016
IMASTEX:

Okay, just that I needed a bird a bit smaller

Try Parakeets. I would hv recommended a Parrot but its bigger in size than the dead bird.

2 Likes

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by IMASTEX: 5:23pm On Jun 28, 2016
GURION:

Try Parakeets. I would hv recommended a Parrot but its bigger in size than the dead bird.
Thanks, I would need to browse about it to see the looks
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Baroba(m): 6:10pm On Jun 28, 2016
IMASTEX:
I have this long interest and passion to keep birds as pet. I have severally caught some few birds which I intended keeping as pet. The shocking news is that I usually wake up the following day to meet them dead, even before I could get a bird cage. I do have this bad feelings been somehow responsible for the deaths, and I am equally not pleased not to have my long desires of keeping a bird as pet come through.

Thanks for your response
Cc: Mynd44, OAM4J, rocktation, lalasticlala

This man, you are busy trapping wild Sparrows and expecting them to survive? wink ..Haba, leave those ones alone now?...why would you want sparrow as a pet?/I have never come across anyone who keeps them as pets.. If you want a small bird that can sing, colourful and good to look at, go to pet shop or market and look for Canaries.. something like the pix attached below..

You will need a spacious cage specifically made for bird keeping, you can get a sample online then get a carpenter to build you a good one; nkata ( basket) is no place to house a bird, its too confined in opinion, even for a short period..

There was a thread here on Canaries a few months ago, you can search for it to get a better understanding in keeping these wonderful birds.. good luck

64 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by frisky2good(m): 10:02pm On Jun 28, 2016
You cannot cage this particular specie. We call them shakuro in Yoruba. grin

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Benblaq(m): 10:02pm On Jun 28, 2016
hve you tried training vultures?

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Flashh: 10:03pm On Jun 28, 2016
Seun:
I think they died of thirst. Did you provide them with water? Dehydration kills much faster than hunger. Plan for them before getting new ones.
How he rushes to comment on pet related threads. cheesy
[img]http://earstomymusic.files./2015/06/flash-gif-2.gif?w=1146&h=254[/img]

160 Likes 12 Shares

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by pinpinkay: 10:04pm On Jun 28, 2016
NCAN , north south west region of abakaliki... am here to check the name of the bird ...reporting back to duty

7 Likes

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by DEngineer(m): 10:06pm On Jun 28, 2016
Op is that yellow fluid coming from the dead bird?, am I the only one who think this is unsafe?.

You need a pet, go to pet shop.

What you are doing is like taking a man of the street (his natural domain) and put him in confined space (prison).

What do you think birds do with wings......FLYYYYY OP.

Stop killing them.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Mememan: 10:09pm On Jun 28, 2016
undecided

4 Likes

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 10:10pm On Jun 28, 2016
cheesy
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jun 28, 2016
Benblaq:
grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by bobogee007(m): 10:12pm On Jun 28, 2016
IMASTEX:

Yes, I made provision for their water and even feed.
Okay, it is just that I am a bit confuse if they can be kept as pet. So that I don't get to buy a bird cage and at the end not able to use it.
try Pigeon, they're the best bird man can have. They multiply quickly as well

4 Likes

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by faites(f): 10:13pm On Jun 28, 2016
I remember this species of bird. They sometimes fly into our house back then, and we trap them and attempt to keep them as pets. But just like OPs bird, they end up dead.

I guess they can't be tamed, or we were doing something wrong, like keeping them in a small basket.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by kinibd(m): 10:13pm On Jun 28, 2016
i suggest getting a parrot, i dont have one but the fact they can actually talk makes them amazing i would say.

In other news, do you need a natural permanent hair removal solution? Have you heard about thanaka powder and kusumba oil? Google and read more about both of them and send an email to kinibd@yahoo.com if interested in purchasing. Thanks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jun 28, 2016
have you tried cattle egret , they don't need a cage, just a cow

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIa7icnjWpbqBrj6q7IaiXwnAfoZSMmML2UesG6x8bMuylmIaNtqdjpwg[/img]

51 Likes

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Viccur(m): 10:18pm On Jun 28, 2016
Sooo werrin con happen?
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by omo17(m): 10:20pm On Jun 28, 2016
IMASTEX:

Thanks for your response

Did you put them outside overnight , i guess dey probably die as a result of cold, give dem water, food nd put dem somewhere warn at night.

1 Like

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by 4reala(m): 10:20pm On Jun 28, 2016
Benblaq:
lol grin bad guy grin

1 Like

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by nuelzy: 10:23pm On Jun 28, 2016
op its d basket...!! i petted dose kinda sparrows years back...quite allergic to minute space... it needs a more bigger cage with minimal ventilation..

....dat basket is just not it!!!

1 Like

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by flokii: 10:26pm On Jun 28, 2016
Na parrot go make sense..

Just keep one and see d whole place get lively
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by ajisebioyo1(m): 10:27pm On Jun 28, 2016
Why not snake . At least buratai can help

2 Likes

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by oodua1stson: 10:32pm On Jun 28, 2016
Buy ostrich na

1 Like

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by IMASTEX: 10:39pm On Jun 28, 2016
ajisebioyo1:
Why not snake . At least buratai can help
No thanks Sir, I only wanted birds. By the way, I am a snail farmer and an erectile health expert: check my signature for details. As an agriculturalists. I have interest for birds, some other animals and plants.

1 Like

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jun 28, 2016
This specie of bird cannot be caged. They always want to be free and live a free live. No matter how much food and water you give it, it will die. The bird died of boredom.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Coldfeet(f): 10:45pm On Jun 28, 2016
Invest in a cage, look for where to suspend it in the air. The cold floor with no where to perch killed that poor bird angry
Na wa to you o sef waste basket

Keep them in twos dey are very chatty and needs company. Na suicide that bird commit.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by IndianBwoy(m): 10:45pm On Jun 28, 2016
ha ha ha. you funny gan

you are struggling with common sparrow while i dey struggle with baby falcon sef. (kestrel)

btw I don't cage my bird. I used to tie it, but the sharp guy untied all the knots on its leg and ripped of its anklets.

so i just let him free around my house and balcony which is spacious enough and filled with plants.
(still training him though so i can take her outdoors later for hunting small prey).

ample amount of sunlight and perching spots to spread his wings.

A perch is necessary. mine needs a rough carpeted material. don't let your bird perch on the cold floor. it will get bumblefoot or some other sore condition.

make sure his dietery requirements are fulfilled.

In my case , my girl needs fresh meat, bones, insect , lizard and live prey if possible. (day old chick, rats, sparrow, etc.)

if giving just organ meat, add some vitamin powder or inject vitamin supplements into the food.

Always provide sufficient water.

summary:

-enough space
-perch
-shelter/box/nest
-nutritious food
-water
-sunlight/fresh air
-company . remember for birds : Boredom kills .

22 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos From Abuja's Dog Walk / 10 Ways To Spot Dogs Owned By Poor People / Juliana, The Dog That Got Two Blue Cross Medals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.