Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,343 members, 7,808,207 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:42 AM

Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? (31316 Views)

Why Do Muslim Females Make Very Beautiful Hairstlyles To Eventually Cover It Up? / If 72 Virgins Are Giving To Muslim Men In Paradise(????)..whats For The Women? / Why Do Muslim Men Wear Short Trousers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by goodguy(m): 9:04pm On Nov 29, 2006
This is to the muslims in the house.  Of what significance is the long beard sported by majority of muslim men?

Hey, I'm just curious. smiley
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by mukina2: 9:10pm On Nov 29, 2006
cuz its a sunnah, ,
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by goodguy(m): 9:39pm On Nov 29, 2006
What?
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by mukina2: 9:40pm On Nov 29, 2006
something the prophet used to do . . .
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Nov 29, 2006
mukina2:

something the prophet used to do . . .

and someone claims that Islam is not a man-made religion!
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by mukina2: 9:46pm On Nov 29, 2006
davidylan:

and someone claims that Islam is not a man-made religion!

what are you sayin . . .
if some people decide to try to be as pious as the prophet does that mean , they are followin a man made religion . .
pls dont start . .i just answered a question and not in the mood for your religious wahala
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by mukina2: 9:51pm On Nov 29, 2006
"O ye who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger, and those charged with authority among you." (Quran 4:59)

"O ye who believe! Obey Allah and His Messenger, and turn not away from him when ye hear (him speak)." (Quran 8:20)

"O ye who believe! give your response to Allah and His Messenger, when He calleth you to that which will give you life; and know that Allah cometh in between a man and his heart, and that it is He to Whom ye shall (all) be gathered."(Quran 8:24)

"Ye have indeed in the Messenger of Allah an excellent exempler for him who hopes in Allah and the Final Day, and who remembers Allah." (Quran 33:21)

"What Allah has bestowed on His Messenger (and taken away) from the people of the townships,- belongs to Allah,- to His Messenger and to kindred and orphans, the needy and the wayfarer; in order that it may not (merely) make a circuit between the wealthy among you. So take what the Messenger gives you, and refrain from what he prohibits you. And fear Allah: for Allah is strict in Punishment." (Quran 59:7)
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by mukina2: 9:53pm On Nov 29, 2006
goodguy read on . .

Importance of the Beard in the words of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam):

(1) Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said "I have no connection iwth one who shaves, shouts and tears his clothing eg. in grief or affication."
- Reported by Abu Darda (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 501

(2) The teachings of Hadhrat Ammar Bin Yaasir, Abdullah Ibn Umar, Sayyidina Umar, Abu Hurairah and Jaabir (R.A.), indicate that ALL used to keep beards that were one fist length or more. Hadhrat Jaabir (R.A.) had said: "We used to grow long beards and only during Hajj and Umrah did we trim them to the required length (i.e. fist length)."

(3) Hadhrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (R.A.) relates that: "He who imitates the kuffar (non-believers) and dies in that state, he will be raised up with them on the Day of Qiyamat (Judgement)."

(4) Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) says: "Trim closely the moustache, and let the beard flow (Grow)."
- Narrated Ibn Umar (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 498

(5) "Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) ordered us to trim the moustache closely and spare the beard" says Ibn Umar.
- Muslim, Hadith no. 449

(6) Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam)said: "Act against contrary to the polythesists, trim closely the moustache and grow the beard."
- Reported by Ibn Umar (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 500

(7) Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said "Trim closely the moustache and grow the beard."
- Reported by Abu Hurairah (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 501

(cool Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: "Anyone who shaves has no claim to the mercy of Allah"
- Reported by Ibn Abbas (R.A.) in Tibrabi

(9) Hadhrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (R.A.) used to cut that portion (which exceeds the grip of the hand) of the beard.
- Tirmidhi

The Beard according to the Great Imams of Jurisprudence

Hanafi

Imam Muhammed (R.A.) writes in his book "Kitabul Aathaar" where he relates from Imam Abu Hanifa (R.A.) who relates from Hadhrat Haytham (R.A.) who relates from Ibn Umar (R.A.) that he (Ibn Umar) used to hold his beard in his hand and cut off which was longer. Imam Muhammed (R.A.) says that this is what we follow and this was the decision of Imam Abu Hanifa. Therefore, according to Hanafies, to shorten the beard less than a FIST LENGTH is HARAAM and on this is IJMA (concensus of opinion).

Shafi'i

Imam Shafi (R.A.) in his Kitabul Umm states, "To shave the beard is HARAAM." (Shari Minhaj dar Shara Fasl Aqueeqa).

Maaliki

Shekh Ahmad Nafarawi Maliki in the commentary of Imam Abu Zayed's booklet states, "to shave the beard is without doubt haraam according to all Imams." It is also mention in "Tamheed" which is a commentary of "Muatta" (Sunnan Imam Malik (R.A.)) that to shave the beard is HARAAM and among males the only ones to resort to this practice (of shaving) are the HERMAPHRODITES (persons who possess both male and female features and characteristics).

Hanbali

The Hanbalies in the famous Al-Khanie'a Hanbali Fatawa Kitab state that "to grow the beard is essential and to shave it is HARAAM." Also in the Hanbali Mathab books "Sharahul Muntahaa" and "Sharr Manzoomatul Aadaab", it is stated "The most accepted view is that it is HARAAM (prohibited to shave the beard)."

Also note, according to scholars of Islam: "To shave off the beard is unlawful (haraam) and one who shaves his beard is legally speaking an unrighteous fellow (FASIQ); hence, it is NOT PERMISSIBLE to appoint such a man as an Imam. To say Taraweeh behind such an Imam is MAKRUH-E-TAHRIMI (near prohibition)" (Shami Vol.1, p.523)

The Durre-Mukhtar states: "No one has called it permissible to trim it (the beard) less than FIST-LENGTH as is being done by some westernized Muslims and hermaphrodites." (Vol. 2, p. 155). Also, "It is forbidden (haraam) for a man to cut off another's beard." (Vol. 5, p. 359).

Thus, a Muslim who shaves or shortens his beard is like a hermaphrodite, his Imamate near prohibition, his evidence is not valid, he will not have the right to vote or being voted for. Shaving and shortening the beard is the action of non-believers. Imam Ghazzali (RA) says: "Know that the key to total bliss (Saadah) lies in following the Sunnah and in emulating the life of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) in ALL that issues from him, and in ALL his doings even if it concerns the manner of his eating, rising, sleeping, and speaking. I do say thisin relation to rituals in worship ONLY because ther is no way neglecting the Sunnah reported of him in such matters - but what I say INCLUDES EVERY ASPECT of his daily life." (Kitab al Arbain Addin, Cairo 1344, p. 89). Furthermore, in the Holy Qur'an, Allah told Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) to say:

"Say: "If ye do love Allah, Follow me: Allah will love you and forgive you your sins: For Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Quran 3:31)

The daily recitation of a band of angels of Allah is "Holy is the Being who adorned men with beards and women with braids" (Takmela e Bahr al Raiq, Vol. 3, p. 331)

Lastly, Allah Ta'ala says in the Holy Qur'an: "And when the true believers are called to Allah and His Rasul (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) [to accept and practice the law and commands of Allah and His Rasul (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam)] that he may pass judgement upon them, their ONLY reply is 'We hear and obey.' Such men shall surely prosper." (24:51)

THE CALL IS TO GROW A FIST LENGTH BEARD, LET US HEAR AND OBEY TO PROSPER.

The Blessed Beard, Grow it, what's so hard to understand?
Commentary by Islam.tc

Muslims are overcome with western influence in their lives and it's easy to forget, nay, neglect the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him). Little do these Muslims realize the magnitude of their actions in imitating Kufaar (see Hadith section). This is a truly shocking! Hopefully the information presented herein will enlighten those. And then there are others who claim that the matters concerning beards is a "little" issue not worthy of mention nor practice. To them I say get off the denial bandwagon, you're a Muslim! Follow the Prophet (Peace be upon him) in all aspects of life, for he was the best of examples. I couldn't tell you how many times I've mistaken a Muslim brother (outside of the Masjid) for a kaafir on account of his clean-shaven, well oiled, face. How can I say "Assalaamu Alaikum Brother!" when I do not know if he is a Muslim. Yet that very brother then wonders why he was ignored! Sure, he can tell if others are Muslim on account of their beard, but what about himself? From one brother to another, I say: "Grow a beard, then, since it also promotes Brotherhood in the real world. Stand with your Brothers, be one. We know you think you are handsome without it (a beard), but who cares? What matters is how Allah (S.W.T.) sees you. And when you do grow a beard, don't mock the Sunnah, please grow it correctly, i.e. FIST LENGTH. That is the prescribed length and no shorter (see Hadeeth section), " Peace.
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Nov 29, 2006
O ye who believe what really?
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by BlackMamba(m): 10:20pm On Nov 29, 2006
Because of the skyrocketting cost of shaving cream. And razor bump is very irritating on Muslim skins. That's the true reason. Don't mind the religious excuse. grin
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by Nobody: 12:07am On Nov 30, 2006
The ones that wear long beard scare the daylights out of folks at the airports.
They had to take about 4 of them off the plane sometime ago because the other passengers refused to fly with them anmd the airline had to comply.

Most muslims in America shave,no one would hire anyman that looks unkempt.
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by goodguy(m): 12:36pm On Dec 02, 2006
mukina2:

goodguy read on . .

Importance of the Beard in the words of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam):

(1) Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said "I have no connection iwth one who shaves, shouts and tears his clothing eg. in grief or affication."
- Reported by Abu Darda (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 501

(2) The teachings of Hadhrat Ammar Bin Yaasir, Abdullah Ibn Umar, Sayyidina Umar, Abu Hurairah and Jaabir (R.A.), indicate that ALL used to keep beards that were one fist length or more. Hadhrat Jaabir (R.A.) had said: "We used to grow long beards and only during Hajj and Umrah did we trim them to the required length (i.e. fist length)."

(3) Hadhrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (R.A.) relates that: "He who imitates the kuffar (non-believers) and dies in that state, he will be raised up with them on the Day of Qiyamat (Judgement)."

(4) Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) says: "Trim closely the moustache, and let the beard flow (Grow)."
- Narrated Ibn Umar (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 498

(5) "Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) ordered us to trim the moustache closely and spare the beard" says Ibn Umar.
- Muslim, Hadith no. 449

(6) Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam)said: "Act against contrary to the polythesists, trim closely the moustache and grow the beard."
- Reported by Ibn Umar (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 500

(7) Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said "Trim closely the moustache and grow the beard."
- Reported by Abu Hurairah (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 501

(cool Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: "Anyone who shaves has no claim to the mercy of Allah"
- Reported by Ibn Abbas (R.A.) in Tibrabi

(9) Hadhrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (R.A.) used to cut that portion (which exceeds the grip of the hand) of the beard.
- Tirmidhi

What exactly is the significance?  All what's written up there only indicates that beards should be kept because the Hadith commands it.

mukina2:

The Beard according to the Great Imams of Jurisprudence

Hanafi

Imam Muhammed (R.A.) writes in his book "Kitabul Aathaar" where he relates from Imam Abu Hanifa (R.A.) who relates from Hadhrat Haytham (R.A.) who relates from Ibn Umar (R.A.) that he (Ibn Umar) used to hold his beard in his hand and cut off which was longer. Imam Muhammed (R.A.) says that this is what we follow and this was the decision of Imam Abu Hanifa. Therefore, according to Hanafies, to shorten the beard less than a FIST LENGTH is HARAAM and on this is IJMA (concensus of opinion).

Shafi'i

Imam Shafi (R.A.) in his Kitabul Umm states, "To shave the beard is HARAAM." (Shari Minhaj dar Shara Fasl Aqueeqa).

Maaliki

Shekh Ahmad Nafarawi Maliki in the commentary of Imam Abu Zayed's booklet states, "to shave the beard is without doubt haraam according to all Imams." It is also mention in "Tamheed" which is a commentary of "Muatta" (Sunnan Imam Malik (R.A.)) that to shave the beard is HARAAM and among males the only ones to resort to this practice (of shaving) are the HERMAPHRODITES (persons who possess both male and female features and characteristics).

Hanbali

The Hanbalies in the famous Al-Khanie'a Hanbali Fatawa Kitab state that "to grow the beard is essential and to shave it is HARAAM." Also in the Hanbali Mathab books "Sharahul Muntahaa" and "Sharr Manzoomatul Aadaab", it is stated "The most accepted view is that it is HARAAM (prohibited to shave the beard)."

Also note, according to scholars of Islam: "To shave off the beard is unlawful (haraam) and one who shaves his beard is legally speaking an unrighteous fellow (FASIQ); hence, it is NOT PERMISSIBLE to appoint such a man as an Imam. To say Taraweeh behind such an Imam is MAKRUH-E-TAHRIMI (near prohibition)" (Shami Vol.1, p.523)

The Durre-Mukhtar states: "No one has called it permissible to trim it (the beard) less than FIST-LENGTH as is being done by some westernized Muslims and hermaphrodites." (Vol. 2, p. 155). Also, "It is forbidden (haraam) for a man to cut off another's beard." (Vol. 5, p. 359).

Thus, a Muslim who shaves or shortens his beard is like a hermaphrodite, his Imamate near prohibition, his evidence is not valid, he will not have the right to vote or being voted for. Shaving and shortening the beard is the action of non-believers. Imam Ghazzali (RA) says: "Know that the key to total bliss (Saadah) lies in following the Sunnah and in emulating the life of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) in ALL that issues from him, and in ALL his doings even if it concerns the manner of his eating, rising, sleeping, and speaking. I do say thisin relation to rituals in worship ONLY because ther is no way neglecting the Sunnah reported of him in such matters - but what I say INCLUDES EVERY ASPECT of his daily life." (Kitab al Arbain Addin, Cairo 1344, p. 89). Furthermore, in the Holy Qur'an, Allah told Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) to say:

"Say: "If ye do love Allah, Follow me: Allah will love you and forgive you your sins: For Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Quran 3:31)

The daily recitation of a band of angels of Allah is "Holy is the Being who adorned men with beards and women with braids" (Takmela e Bahr al Raiq, Vol. 3, p. 331)

Lastly, Allah Ta'ala says in the Holy Qur'an: "And when the true believers are called to Allah and His Rasul (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) [to accept and practice the law and commands of Allah and His Rasul (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam)] that he may pass judgement upon them, their ONLY reply is 'We hear and obey.' Such men shall surely prosper." (24:51)

THE CALL IS TO GROW A FIST LENGTH BEARD, LET US HEAR AND OBEY TO PROSPER.

The Blessed Beard, Grow it, what's so hard to understand?
Commentary by Islam.tc

What's "HARAAM" about men shaving their beards?  And what about those that are naturally nonhairy?

mukina2:

Muslims are overcome with western influence in their lives and it's easy to forget, nay, neglect the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him). Little do these Muslims realize the magnitude of their actions in imitating Kufaar (see Hadith section). This is a truly shocking! Hopefully the information presented herein will enlighten those. And then there are others who claim that the matters concerning beards is a "little" issue not worthy of mention nor practice. To them I say get off the denial bandwagon, you're a Muslim! Follow the Prophet (Peace be upon him) in all aspects of life, for he was the best of examples. I couldn't tell you how many times I've mistaken a Muslim brother (outside of the Masjid) for a kaafir on account of his clean-shaven, well oiled, face. How can I say "Assalaamu Alaikum Brother!" when I do not know if he is a Muslim. Yet that very brother then wonders why he was ignored! Sure, he can tell if others are Muslim on account of their beard, but what about himself? From one brother to another, I say: "Grow a beard, then, since it also promotes Brotherhood in the real world. Stand with your Brothers, be one. We know you think you are handsome without it (a beard), but who cares? What matters is how Allah (S.W.T.) sees you. And when you do grow a beard, don't mock the Sunnah, please grow it correctly, i.e. FIST LENGTH. That is the prescribed length and no shorter (see Hadeeth section), " Peace.

So you keep beards because Muhammad did so during his lifetime?  This reminds me of this story below:

As Jane serves "roast pork" for dinner, John comments on how "delicious" it looks but has been wondering for a long time why Jane cuts off both ends of the pork.

"Well dear" replies Jane, "I have always watched my mother do it when I was growing up and therefore cannot answer why this has to be done, however I shall ask her why when I speak with her next"

Later that evening Jane calls her mother to ask. After a short silent pause, the mother replies "Well dear, I have always watched your grandmother prepare the roast pork this way, therefore maybe you should ask her"

By this time curiousity has got the better of Jane and she calls her grandmother almost immediately.

"Grandma, why do you cut off both ends of the roast pork when preparing it" ask Jane. "is this to make it taste better"

Her Grandma replies "well Jane, as far as I can remember the reason I did that was because I could not fit the pork into my cooking pot otherwise".

The moral of the story is that we seem to do things almost instinctively or automatically without knowing the actual historical reason behind them.

THINK!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by TayoD(m): 1:01pm On Dec 02, 2006
@Mukina,

Since you are to follow the example of the Prophet into-to, I guess we should keep our 8 to 13 year old daughters and sisters away from you. Who knows, you might be inclined to go the Mohammed way. And how many wives do you plan to marry? How many people will you be willing to kill in the name of your religion. Please give us answers to these.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by exu(m): 2:37pm On Dec 02, 2006
To keep their faces wam?
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by mukina2: 6:24pm On Dec 02, 2006
goodguy you asked a question didnt you?

tayod pls i am FEMALE grin not male
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by goodguy(m): 10:20pm On Dec 02, 2006
mukina2:

goodguy you asked a question didnt you?

Your responses are not satisfactory enough. Please answer my subsequent questions.
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:17am On Dec 03, 2006
you could easily ask a jewish man the same and they will give you mukina's answer.

look up pics of Hasidic Jews.
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by Nobody: 5:30am On Dec 03, 2006
I wish I could grow a long beard, I'm stuck with shaving all the time since the beard won't grow properly anyway. angry
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by Nobody: 6:14am On Dec 03, 2006
Donzman:

I wish I could grow a long beard, I'm stuck with shaving all the time since the beard won't grow properly anyway. angry

You can then do bia bia implant lol
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by TayoD(m): 6:35am On Dec 03, 2006
@ThiefofHearts,

you could easily ask a jewish man the same and they will give you mukina's answer. look up pics of Hasidic Jews.
The Jews indeed wear long beards but there are bible reasons for that. This I can go into in-depth if required. Basically, beards like other Old Testament rituals serve as a shadow of some realities. They are not an end in themselves but a pointer to an end.
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:40am On Dec 03, 2006
TayoD:

@ThiefofHearts,
The Jews indeed wear long beards but there are bible reasons for that. This I can go into in-depth if required.

wasnt mukina basically saying that there are Quran reasons for Muslims having long beards as well?
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by goodguy(m): 7:38pm On Dec 03, 2006
ThiefOfHearts:

wasnt mukina basically saying that there are Quran reasons for Muslims having long beards as well?

No.  They are all "Hadith" and "Esteemed Muslim men" reasons.  None is from the Qu'ran.
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by mukina2: 9:26pm On Dec 03, 2006
i want to ask a question after which i'll answer all of yours

why did you create this thread?
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Dec 03, 2006
So they let women go on the computer in Saudi Arabia?, Quite interesting!
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by goodguy(m): 9:37pm On Dec 03, 2006
mukina2:

i want to ask a question after which i'll answer all of yours

why did you create this thread?

I created this thread because I was curious, and I still am. Your replies do not really appeal to me, since I do not see the significance of long beard keeping by Muslim men, from the epistle you copied and pasted up there.
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by mukina2: 10:10pm On Dec 03, 2006
yes i pasted them from an islamic site . .

significance of the beard

The position that Islam has, and will have in the world has a great deal to do with how the Muslims look at it, and to what extent they practice its teachings. There was a time when Islam was running through every vein in a Muslim's body, and his actions were a living portrait of the glory and beauty of Islam, so the flag of Islam was proudly lifted in the sky by the winds of success. The non-believers could not question Islam, because living examples of Islamic perfection were before them. When the spirit of Islam began to fade away from the hearts of Muslims, there bodies were no longer strong enough to take all the measures and hardships necessary to practice their flawless religion. The new place for Islam was not a strong firm heart, but a dark dusty corner in the human mind. People liked to treat Islam like a constitution made by man, to be amended and abridged at will. Where did people go wrong? The answer is easy and simple to find. We left the pattern of life of our beloved Prophet Muhammad s.w, who sacrificed his day and night, swreat and blood, conveying Allah's message. Our respect and dignity lies in following the pattern of our beloved Prophet Muhammad s.w, this is why the noble practices of the Prophet s.w (sunnah) hold great weight. This article aims to help one remember a very significant sunnah of the Prophet s.w, the beard. To grow a beard is a practice of all the Prophets and necessary for all Muslim males.

People often make excuses to get there way around to not keeping a beard. Some exuses are as follows:

a) Some people say that the Qur'aan does not order us to keep a beard. But I ask these people that where is it mentioned in the Qur'aan that we are only supposed to follow the Qur'aan and neglect the teachings of the Prophet s.w.

The Qur'aan states very clearly that we are to obey Allah and His Messenger s.w. There are many acts, commandments, etc. that are not mentioned in the Qur'aan. Take the number of rakats in salaah as a basic example; the number of rakats for every salaah has not been mentioned in the Qur'ann, rather we have been taught the exact number of rakats for each salaah by our beloved Prophet s.w through his sunnah.

b) Some people argue that to trim the beard (to an unlawful extent) or to shave is only a minor sin.

One should always keep in mind that no sin can be dismissed, nor can one say that minor sins do not affect a persons outcome in the hereafter. A sin, no matter what it is, is still a sin and only Allah can forgive sins.

Furthermore, to wear a beard is an obligation for the Muslim male, and to purposely ommit an obligatory act cannot be regarded as just a small, minor sin, which is harmless. A Muslim should also have so much love for the Prophet s.w that he feels proud in following the practices of the Prophet s.w.

Some people may say that Rasullullah s.w used tp keep the because it was an Arabic fashion in those days. However the concept of the Prophet Alayhi-salaam following a fashion/custom can only be comprehendable if that custom was lawful and better for the Ummah. Indeed these are mere excuses used to justify ones actions which are contradictory to the Blessed teachings of the Holy prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) .

One must recognize that for one to act contrary to Sunnah leaves scope for repentance. However the justification of ones wrong actions is an indirect if not direct opposition of the teachings of Rasulluah s.w The keeping of the beard was an action not only observed, but also commanded by the Holy Prophet s.w In a narration by Ibn Haban under the title The ruling of the beard in Islam:

“From among the Natural practices of Islam is the trimming of the moustache and the growing (fully) of the beard. The fire worshippers lengthen their moustaches and shave their beards.”

It is also interesting to note that no reports have been made in regards to a Companion of Rasullullah s.w or a Tabiee in regards to the shaving of the beard. It is well known that in instances of contradiction one must turn to the Companions r.a or the pious predecessors. Also any description of an early Prophet Alayhimu-salaam in a tradition portrays him as one who kept a beard. So one can justly say that the keeping of the beard is also a practice of previous Prophets Alayhimu-salaam. So if one is to open mind he will come to the conclusion that the keeping of the beard is not only a commanded practice of the Blessed Prophet, but also an obligatory practice of the Prophet which should be implemented into our lives.
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by mukina2: 10:16pm On Dec 03, 2006
no offence intended but i saw this topic on an islamic forum undecided
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by Nobody: 5:05am On Dec 04, 2006
even mukina2 a muslim has no understanding of why her husband and brothers are condemned to donning beards, all she can do is copy and paste as has been the pattern anytime a serious question is asked as regards Islam!

What a shame!
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by mukina2: 10:48am On Dec 04, 2006
yea i am a muslim . .most of them wear beards cuz they are following the ways of the prophet (saw) ,
no one in my family does that . .

. .i paste them here . .cuz i want him to know it all  . .i guess you know Islam is more about men . .maybe if the question had  been in the case of females i would have answered clearly . . .i copied them from an islamic site as i want to be sure . .and i dont want no contradictions . .cuz that is what you want . .for you never cease to attack muslims . .
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by Aggressa(m): 3:36pm On Dec 04, 2006
@Mukina2
I hope you wont fly into another bout of 'rage' when I tell you that your initial and subsequent responses to this rather 'quiet' question has further shown how ignorant most muslims are of their so-called faith. So, muslims wear beards because it is 'sunnah' i.e the prophet does it. Now the 'islamic website' you quoted attempted to tell muslims why it is good to follow the commands of the 'prophet' but deliberatly choose to ignore the seemingly next question i.e. why did the prophet keep long beard? was it cultural, was it is a 'revelation', was it environmental, etc etc They dont seem to know but seeks to tell you the 'jammat' or the 'ummah' that not doing it is an act for which the men should seek repentance.
Again, you said above that 'Islam is more about men'; accept my sympathy sincerely because it is very true: we know muhammed said women have half of a brain and most of you wont be in islamic heaven called 'jannat'.
Nobody is attacking muslims, stop saying that, the question is simply about concept or ideology of Islam. If somebody asks me to keep a beard, i have every right to want to know why, otherwise the concept is not relevant to a thinker. Now how many of the hadiths or sunnahs are relevant to a thinking person?
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Dec 04, 2006
Who do you put (saw) after the name of Mohammed (saw).
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Dec 04, 2006
mukina2:

yea i am a muslim . .most of them wear beards because they are following the ways of the prophet (saw) ,
no one in my family does that . .

. .i paste them here . .because i want him to know it all . .i guess you know Islam is more about men . .maybe if the question had been in the case of females i would have answered clearly . . .i copied them from an islamic site as i want to be sure . .and i don't want no contradictions . .because that is what you want . .for you never cease to attack muslims . .

JUST A TRANSLATION OF MUKINA'S POST:

yea i am a muslim . .most of them wear beards because they are blindly following the ways of the prophet (saw), without much understanding.
no one in my family does that . ,  because we really dont know why.

. .i paste them here . .because i want him to know what someone else assumes is right, since i dont know anything . .i guess you know Islam is more about men . . . with women whose brains are no better than those of a donkey as mere sexual tools. maybe if the question had been in the case of females i would have answered with my own assumptions of what i think is right . . .i copied them from an islamic site as i want to absolve myself of any contradictions . .and i don't want complications of existing contradictions . .because that is what you want . .for you never cease to speak the truth about muslims . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Would You Prefer To Live In An Islamic Country? / Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use / Things Your Muslim Wife Wont Tell You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.