Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,652 members, 7,801,902 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:50 AM

Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality (24875 Views)

Professional CV and Cover Letter Templates For Job Seekers / What's The Time Limit For Getting A + Feedback From A Company After Interview / Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by tonididdy(m): 5:36pm On Jun 29, 2016
I have never really had need for a CV until lately, so I designed this today cos my neighbour wants a copy of my CV in order to help me book a job.

my questions are:

1. does it look proper? (its only 2pages)
2. how do I present the CV to him...in an envelope folded? or in a bigger envelope unfolded?
3. how important are referees?
4. am I missing out any details?

pls view the images below and reply freely

3 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by careercrew1: 8:54pm On Jun 29, 2016
tonididdy:
I have never really had need for a CV until lately, so I designed this today cos my neighbour wants a copy of my CV in order to help me book a job.

my questions are:

2. how do I present the CV to him...in an envelope folded? or in a bigger envelope unfolded?

Am happy for you tonididdy. You have constructed your first CV and it isn't bad. Have you ever worked in any place before? If yes, please insert your work experience and achievements..Do you have any skills also?

I have written an article on why you should always update your CV. .

Read here: www.careercrew..com.ng/2016/06/why-you-should-always-update-your-cv.html?m=0

You can also follow me on twitter for more info on why you should always update your CV and career development tips. ..I follow back too.. Check my profile for my twitter handle..Goodluck

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by tonididdy(m): 9:15pm On Jun 29, 2016
careercrew1:

Am happy for you tonididdy. You have constructed your first CV and it isn't bad. Have you ever worked in any place before? If yes, please insert your working experience and achievements..Do you have any skills also?
tanks...yes I did insert my working experience, most of it under the teaching profession
Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by careercrew1: 9:47pm On Jun 29, 2016
tonididdy:
tanks...yes I did insert my working experience, most of it under the teaching profession
Thats good.. Please endeavor to insert your achievements and skills
Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by wallmosh: 9:28am On Jun 30, 2016
Kindly adjust your achievements, placing the recent ones at the top.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by JobAirport: 8:08am On Jul 01, 2016
tonididdy:

my questions are:

Hi,

This is quite impressive as it's your first CV; however, it needs to be restructured.

1. Note that a CV is not about pages - some recruiters ask for a resume, which is a one-page CV. So quality is better than quantity.

2. About the presentation, put it in an envelope, and there's no need to seal it.

3. Referees are very important, don't put "On request" as written by many! State it there, including Name and title of the referee, place of work, work address, email address, and phone number.

4. Yes you are missing details - Achievements, Skills profile and professional certifications (if any).

Our team of expert CV reviewers have come up with a good CV template which is free to our viewers. Simply contact us below and we will help free of charge.

I hope this helps.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by tonididdy(m): 9:25am On Jul 01, 2016
careercrew1:
Thats good.. Please endeavor to insert your achievements and skills
pls be specific when u mean achievements and skills?
Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by tonididdy(m): 9:27am On Jul 01, 2016
wallmosh:
Kindly adjust your achievements, placing the recent ones at the top.
thanks for the post sir but how do u guys mean when u on about achievments and skills?
Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by kulgee001(m): 5:27pm On Jul 11, 2016
It's a good first attempt.

You asked for my input so here is what I think.
For your personal information, why are you using double spacing? It's taking too much space and it really doesn't add value to your application. Reduce it. You don't want a recruiter losing interest even before they get to the important stuff. If it's left to me, I'll say your name, telephone and email would suffice but Nigerian public service still do things the old fashioned way so you can keep everything but reduce the spacing as much as possible.
For your Educational institutions and qualifications, I'll suggest you combine both sections. Also start with the most recent. e.g 2012, 2006 then 2005.
Same thing for your work experience. Put the most recent ones first.
Like previous posters said, add your achievements and skills to add flesh to your CV.
Also add your referees. At least two (2) is fine.

The best CVs are the most concise. Don't worry about the length. One page is even very okay.
Just ensure that you have interesting things written on it.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by ANBAKO: 2:19pm On Jul 13, 2016
This is a great start for you.
Please note that all CV must be tailored/customized for the role being applied for.

Observation (My personal opinion)

1. Your personal information is too much. I believe all that you need in that section is Full name, Address, Phone number, and e-mail address. Things like marital status, LGA, Nationality come in if specifically asked or if they can play influencing role in your job application. e.g. if you know that the hiring manager is from your state.

2. Your font is great but spacing and paragraphing is too much

3. I will have re-frame your profile as follows: "I am an innovative, proactive and self-motivated young professional with excellent communication skill and capability for outstanding customer service delivery. A creative and articulate individual with great team spirit to develop solutions to work place challenges."

5. If you are applying for a teaching job, I don't think the profile above is the best. The profile fit more for an admin assistant/office assistance role

4. As someone suggested earlier, merge you education and qualification
something like this: Madrid Secondary School, Benin City
West Africa Senior School Certificate -2005

5. include location of your educational institution eg towns, states as necessary

6. Also include location of your previous work places, Address, Town, state etc

7. I am not an advocate of referees unless you know the recruiter knows the referee

8. you need to add some of your soft skills: Use of Computer, language proficiency etc

9. you might also want to add your interests/hobby

All these should not be more than 2 pages

Good luck

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by Elegantdiva: 3:46pm On Jul 13, 2016
Now am confuse . I av seen a lot of CV format recently . I don't know which one is the best.

1 Like

Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by emillionaire: 6:48am On Jul 15, 2016
have no fear. you pass
Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by Cherishing(f): 6:48am On Jul 15, 2016
All these cv people Sabi confuse person ,this one go come "add this" another one go come "remove this" I don tire for Una.
If Una be the one wey wan employ person Mek Una kuku ma tell person not to forward cv.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by primusmaximus: 6:50am On Jul 15, 2016
Reverse the order for education and experience....... Most recent should come first and oldest should be last.

3 Likes

Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by slynat(m): 6:54am On Jul 15, 2016
Let your work experience as it relate to the opening come before your education/qualification.
Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by theoptimus(m): 7:06am On Jul 15, 2016
Dear Pal,

I Think this will sell you out more ... Just do some editing on the copy send to you now ... It sell fast than any one think... Its speak more on your behave ...

Regards

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by seunakin231(m): 7:07am On Jul 15, 2016
It's quite cool, however, most employers re not much interested in ur state of origin, DOB, Marital status @ 1st, put that on the last page before ur referee, start with ur name in block, profile, experience and dates, outline the u carried out e.g

Associate Direct Sales Manager, AXAMansard Insurance Plc. August 2014 to November 2015.
Lead generation, new business development, and eventual sales of different insurance policies to both retail customers and corporate organisations.
Ensuring prompt payment of claims and good service within a short time frame, helping to improve company’s image as an industry leader in claims payments and settlements.
Leadership responsibilities over Direct Sales Agents under my purview, and ensuring that monthly targets are met.
Writing monthly production reports.

It make dem ask u lesser questions and easy for u to take them through it.

Hobbies, basic information, and referee

Hope this helps sir
Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by wizaro(m): 7:11am On Jul 15, 2016
Hey man.. Ur c.v. Is quite OK.. Like dey all said pls add any other skills u ve got too....and what also caught my attention too was d TENDERFOOT because I actually schooled there too..
Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by Ihuomadinihu: 7:12am On Jul 15, 2016
ANBAKO:
This is a great start for you.
Please note that all CV must be tailored/customized for the role being applied for.

Observation (My personal opinion)

1. Your personal information is too much. I believe all that you need in that section is Full name, Address, Phone number, and e-mail address. Things like marital status, LGA, Nationality come in if specifically asked or if they can play influencing role in your job application. e.g. if you know that the hiring manager is from your state.

2. Your font is great but spacing and paragraphing is too much

3. I will have re-frame your profile as follows: "I am an innovative, proactive and self-motivated young professional with excellent communication skill and capability for outstanding customer service delivery. A creative and articulate individual with great team spirit to develop solutions to work place challenges."

5. If you are applying for a teaching job, I don't think the profile above is the best. The profile fit more for an admin assistant/office assistance role

4. As someone suggested earlier, merge you education and qualification
something like this: Madrid Secondary School, Benin City
West Africa Senior School Certificate -2005

5. include location of your educational institution eg towns, states as necessary

6. Also include location of your previous work places, Address, Town, state etc

7. I am not an advocate of referees unless you know the recruiter knows the referee

8. you need to add some of your soft skills: Use of Computer, language proficiency etc

9. you might also want to add your interests/hobby

All these should not be more than 2 pages

Good luck
Impressive! Can i send my Cv too? I need someone to review mine.
I don't need to add personal information like marital status,Lga etc?
Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by Spells(m): 7:12am On Jul 15, 2016
Nice one, I pray you get a job...

2 Likes

Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by MrHighSea: 7:12am On Jul 15, 2016
You can also refer them to your Linkedin profile. With the level of experience 1 page is OK. State exactly your responsibilities in any capacity you acted.
Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by IMASTEX: 7:16am On Jul 15, 2016
CV has been replaced with who referred/sent you, even in the private sector.
Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by playcharles(m): 7:18am On Jul 15, 2016
Op na wa ooo
Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by ganiyu26(m): 7:21am On Jul 15, 2016
Having glanced through your drafted CV, I note one thing bro... You shouldn't use curriculum vitae as a subject, use your name instead in capital and bold letter. Goodluck!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by SycophanticGoat: 7:22am On Jul 15, 2016
careercrew1:

Am happy for you tonididdy. You have constructed your first CV and it isn't bad. Have you ever worked in any place before? If yes, please insert your working experience and achievements..Do you have any skills also?

I think the right phrase should be WORK EXPERIENCE, not working experience.

4 Likes

Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by DerKaiser: 7:23am On Jul 15, 2016
Change "working experience" to "work experience"

Your primary and nursery education are of no interest to any employer and should be completely omitted.

Begin with secondary education.

List all your practical and technical skills. The employer is very interested in it and wants to see what you have to offer and your abilities.

With no job experience, skills can also be some of the things you learned while at your higher institution like Project Planning, Cost Calculations, Benchmarking, Preparing Reports, Team Work and Planning etc.

Qualifications should be in the same section as the school you attended and not a complete different section of its own e.g.

2001 - 2005: University of Nigeria Nsukka
Industrial Economics with Specialty in Finance
Degree: Bachelor of Arts

evaonuegbu90:
U need to remove that tittle u gave it Cus d employer already know what it was, what matters most is your skills and qualifications.

The title is very essential with his name on it and should stay.

2 Likes

Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by evaonuegbu90(m): 7:24am On Jul 15, 2016
U need to remove that tittle u gave it Cus d employer already know what it was, what matters most is your skills and qualifications.
Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by ksbusari(m): 7:30am On Jul 15, 2016
observations:
1. your name should be at the very top of ur CV a nt CURRICULUM VITAE.
2.you educational background and work experience should start from the most recent.
3. information on primary education is nt necessary (would u av gone for ur ND if u had nt passed through pry education?).
I wish u d best of luck.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by teawhy2788(m): 7:35am On Jul 15, 2016
Pls,remove dt title, 'Curriculum Vitae' is not acceptable

2 Likes

Re: Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality by AnanseK(m): 7:35am On Jul 15, 2016
tonididdy:
thanks for the post sir but how do u guys mean when u on about achievments and skills?

Achievements do not mean formal employment. A young applicant like you cannot suddenly have so many skills, we all know that.
I know a young man who had this as the most catchy and most important statement in his CV and his application was successful because of it.

" in the last one year I have been supporting my mother with her poultry farm business, the purchasing of feeds, feeding the birds, sales of eggs and keeping the account".

Wishing you the best of luck.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

N-Power Volunteers Storm Father Mbaka's Church In Enugu, Beg For State Jobs / Waec Interview? / Nigerian College Of Aviation Technology, Vacancies For Unit (engineers)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.