Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,702 members, 7,805,889 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:03 AM

Elechi Amadi Is Dead - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Elechi Amadi Is Dead (49107 Views)

Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya / Literary Icon And Author Of 'the Concubine' Elechi Amadi, Dies At 82 / Foremost Writer Elechi Amadi Dies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by sindan: 3:40am On Jun 30, 2016
lyricalpontiff:
He is the greatest writer in Africa, just that he is not yoruba or Igbo.

Ok!
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by sindan: 3:45am On Jun 30, 2016
queencalipso:
I remember reading the concubine, its an interesting play but I can't remember the content. Rip sir

I use to think he's Igbo, never knew he was ikwerre.

Ok!
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by hollypagan: 3:57am On Jun 30, 2016
lyricalpontiff:
He is the greatest writer in Africa, just that he is not yoruba or Igbo.
is Amadi not an Igbo name?

1 Like

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Enahi(f): 4:48am On Jun 30, 2016
MXrep:
so by adulterating the name "Nwabueze" as Wabueze you have created a different ethnic group? Ikwerres are yeye people, do this ppl know that others in enugu or anambra also pronounce the name as "Wabueze" in their dialects too but do not write it like that but write in standardized igbo??

You Igbos should leave the Ikwerres alone, haba you dumbos need to learn about names allover the world. Just because they bear igbo names doesn't make them igbo, there are so many people allover world who bear similar native names but are from different places and
ethnicity.

Igbos sure have a long way to go, with the intelligent brain wey God give una u people still dey reason like mumus.
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Enahi(f): 4:50am On Jun 30, 2016
hollypagan:
is Amadi not an Igbo name?

And so what? Now tell me why do you have an English name or rather why did your parents give you an English name?
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by litetias(m): 4:56am On Jun 30, 2016
refiner:
shocked

I love this man!...

THE COCUBINE is one of my best novel, tho its end was tragic but the novel was superb!...he is one of our finest writer!

may his soul rip!sadsadembarassed

The end was really tragic.
I remember reading it when I was about ten years old and when I got to the end where the poor boy ate the poisoned food that was meant for another person tears rolled down my face and at that young age I couldn't understand why the boy had to die just because of his mom's foolishness.
That was 20 something years ago and I have not read it again since then but I can never forget that ending

1 Like

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Orikinla(m): 5:00am On Jun 30, 2016
[size=18pt]Elechi Amadi (born 12 May 1934-29th of June 2016.[/size]

One of the greatest African novelists of the post colonial era, Elechi Amadi of Nigeria has passed on to eternal glory.
His family reported that he passed away yesterday Wednesday at the Good Heart hospital in Port Harcourt in Rivers State at the age of 82.

Amadi's first published work is "Penitence". It was published by The Horn of the University of Ibadan edited by his fellow student, John Pepper Clark in 1957.
Prof.Clark and the first black Nobel Laureate in literature, Prof. Wole Soyinka are now the last of the literary titans who studied at the great University of Ibadan. The others were the famous novelist Chinua Achebe and legendary poet Christopher Okigbo of blessed memory.
Elechi Amadi became famous with his first novel The Concubine published in 1966.

"'A highly sophisticated, measured treatment of... the fatal loves of a woman in an Eastern Nigerian village. Written in a grave and simple style, it... reveals its author as a fine writer ruminating on a past already turning into legend.'"
~ The New Statesman.

"'Mr Amadi writes with speed and shapeliness and exhilaration... a lovely and dignified picture of a society not only still ruled by gods, but governed by a great delicacy in human relationships.'"
~ The Guardian.

The novel was followed by The Great Ponds in 1969. His personal account of the Nigerian civil war Sunset in Biafra published in 1973 was an international bestseller. His novel The Slave published in 1978 completed his historical trilogy with The Concubine and The Great Ponds.

His other popular works include, the plays, "Isiburu" (1973), "Pepper Soup and the Road to Ibadan" (1977), "Dancer of Johannesburg" (1978), "The Woman of Calabar" (2002}, Collected Plays (2004, Edited by Seiyifa Koroye) and his novel "Estrangement" (1986).

Source: Nigerians Report Online

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Nobody: 5:03am On Jun 30, 2016
TheSpellChecker:

Chief, I'm sure if Mr. Elechi Amadi were to be alive today, he'll be so disappointed with your spelling... just like I am. embarassed
ur username really depicts ur comment.. no body is above mistake
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Rasque1759(m): 5:20am On Jun 30, 2016
RiP
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Gbegiri101(m): 5:36am On Jun 30, 2016
Topics
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by danbrowndmf(m): 5:39am On Jun 30, 2016
Wenebadu:
RIP OUR HERO YOU HAVE MADE IKWERRE PROUD
ikwere meka wey
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by telemapreye1(f): 5:42am On Jun 30, 2016
ClassCaptain:
This man will earn my respect forever with his book, the concubine....

The plot is one of the best av come across by a nigerian author.,,, The elegant style of writing by which he carried his readers along in the concubine is amazing,.

Damn,.., rip Elechi Amadi...
I fell in love with "concubine" someone stole the one I had u still went ahead and bought another one....
A very emotional book.
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by jstbeinhonest(m): 5:45am On Jun 30, 2016
timpaker:
One of my favourite writer gone again? I so much love his book, the Concubine (emenike was my favourite character)

Abubakar Gimba abeg stay oooooo.

Abubakar Gimba wey don die since last year.
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by refiner(f): 5:57am On Jun 30, 2016
litetias:

The end was really tragic.
I remember reading it when I was about ten years old and when I got to the end where the poor boy ate the poisoned food that was meant for another person tears rolled down my face and at that young age I couldn't understand why the boy had to die just because of his mom's foolishness.
That was 20 something years ago and I have not read it again since then but I can never forget that ending

lol...u must have forgotten the story!

it was an arrow that killed ekwueme,when ihuoma eldest son was chasing after lizard,and he mistakenly shot the arrow at at him...

ekwueme died by 12:00 in the midnight...

tho it's been years I read this novel but I can still remember it very very well!smiley

1 Like

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by alfredbisong: 6:03am On Jun 30, 2016
The concubine, sweet n interesting novel
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by spenca: 6:03am On Jun 30, 2016
Dakuku turning a tribute into a political short gun with indirectly affects Ameachi credibility also
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by hardbody: 6:06am On Jun 30, 2016
He wrote well, he fought on the side of the federal forces to perpetuate the deprivation his people are suffering today. I however sympathize with the bereaved. A good name is better than gold, so make good name for yourself while alive.

Travel well the dark roads sir.
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Luckymay(f): 6:06am On Jun 30, 2016
Now I know stressing the brain actually makes the hair Grey. Rip to the dead. Seems it's only death news we hear these days.
Meanwhile kindly look at my signature.
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by nairalforlaughs: 6:11am On Jun 30, 2016
Rest in Peace, Pa Elechi Amadi.
You made Rivers State proud with your works.
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by gulfer: 6:16am On Jun 30, 2016
Reading Elechi Amdadi and Ojo Madueke's death reports makes me conclude that Amadi had more impact than Ojo on the lives of Nigerians. No student in the 70s and 80s will fail to know those books..................RIP, great thespian embarassed cry cry cry
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by hardbody: 6:19am On Jun 30, 2016
Enahi:

You Igbos should leave the Ikwerres alone, haba you dumbos need to learn about names allover the world. Just because they bear igbo names doesn't make them igbo, there are so many people allover world who bear similar native names but are from different places and
ethnicity.

Igbos sure have a long way to go, with the intelligent brain wey God give una u people still dey reason like mumus.

Even if your thinking is right, the generalisation is faulty and calls a few things to question about you. I am satisfied and happy being igbo and i have no desire to co-opt others.

I had many ikwere boys as course mates back in the days and they were always insisting that they weren't igbo and i respected their thoughts. I don't need them to be who I am or will be going forward.

Learn to attack the idea and address the person not the group, race or tribe. Peace

6 Likes

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Otapipia: 6:20am On Jun 30, 2016
AccessME:
It baffles me with the way people are dieing everyday, Nigeria politicians still have the Gods of embezzling public funds,forgery,lies,thuggery etc
Stop decrying every death. He didn't die young. May his soul rest in peace.
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by hardbody: 6:21am On Jun 30, 2016
gulfer:
Reading Elechi Amdadi and Ojo Madueke's death reports makes me conclude that Amadi had more impact than Ojo on the lives of Nigerians. No student in the 70s and 80s will fail to know those books..................RIP, great thespian embarassed cry cry cry

What is the basis for this comparison and for what purpose and to what end?

1 Like

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by alorax2(f): 6:38am On Jun 30, 2016
Ewooooo, great pond, the concubine arrow of god, kai this man made my culture come alive. Je nke oma o.
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by maxzzo1(m): 6:42am On Jun 30, 2016
RIP to a great man....
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by canDy4eva(f): 6:43am On Jun 30, 2016
Wenebadu:
RIP OUR HERO YOU HAVE MADE IKWERRE PROUD
ibu wenem? Ibu oye ihuruoha?
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by sylve11: 6:49am On Jun 30, 2016
Journey well, Sir. cool
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by deygar: 6:51am On Jun 30, 2016
rip elechi amadi, most of our best authors are gone...we pray thee oh lord to raise great men that will fill this vacuum....
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Connoisseur(m): 6:57am On Jun 30, 2016
'The spirit of death was known to take people's life shortly after midnight, that was when Ekwueme died'

1 Like

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Dexema(m): 6:58am On Jun 30, 2016
Ishilove:

I read 'Great Ponds' four times during my youth service. That book is one of the funniest and most interesting African novels I've ever read
wish I could get the book and some other African writers series, I'm sure I'm gonna gobble them down faster than a bolus of eba with well garnished draw soup.
weep not child, mine boy, for mbatha and rabeka, evbu my love, lion and the jewel, God's are to blame, mark of the cobra, and of course the mighty things fall apart.

1 Like

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Dexema(m): 7:00am On Jun 30, 2016
Connoisseur:
'The spirit of death was known to take people's life shortly after midnight, that was when Ekwueme died'

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) / Love and Diamonds / Onyeka Nwelue: "A Lady Asked For Sex Before She Could Give Me Loan"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.