Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,959 members, 7,806,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:43 PM

A Lady's Last Name - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Lady's Last Name (5242 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 7:30pm On Jun 30, 2016
I for one don't see anything wrong in a lady wanting to keep her last name after marriage,the same reason a man would want to keep his father's name is the same reason why a woman wants to also. So she shouldn't be denied that chance. I would also like to keep my last name after marriage.
pls is it bad or good? COMMENT!!!

2 Likes

Re: A Lady's Last Name by Subsidy101(m): 7:33pm On Jun 30, 2016
It is as bad as woman wanting to marry another woman. When u marry your husband, you become his own.
Re: A Lady's Last Name by VictorRomanov: 7:35pm On Jun 30, 2016
Hope ur family won't receive any brideprice for you?
Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 7:39pm On Jun 30, 2016
Subsidy101:
It is as bad as woman wanting to marry another woman. When u marry your husband, you become his own.

no we become one,am his and he's mine. am not anyone's property. I'll have his name but my last name will still be there.

3 Likes

Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 7:41pm On Jun 30, 2016
VictorRomanov:
Hope ur family won't receive any brideprice for you?

LOL,y do u say so.
Re: A Lady's Last Name by VictorRomanov: 7:45pm On Jun 30, 2016
SWITANN:

LOL,y do u say so.

After ur family collect bride price finish, u will still be bearing their last name? what's the evidence that bride price was paid?

If it was a situation were u guys just agreed and went to court with witnesses to sign a marriage register, then no wahala!
Re: A Lady's Last Name by Acidosis(m): 7:49pm On Jun 30, 2016
If your mom had insisted on retaining her dad's name, they (your parents) wouldn't have given birth to you. The implication is that you'd not be here asking this question. It also implies that the population of feminists would have reduced by 1 in Nigeria/Nairaland.

I'm 100% sure that your mom dropped her father's name immediately she got married to daddy, so where exactly did you learn this bad habit from? Internet? Oprah Winfrey?

Do not be deceived, ALL men LOVE humble & loyal women. The only reason why any woman would want to retain her father's name is PRIDE. Meanwhile, a proud woman can never have a happy marriage unless she luckily gets a dummy-puppy NURSE-band (husband).

10 Likes

Re: A Lady's Last Name by diva90: 7:53pm On Jun 30, 2016
Nothing wrong with that. So far as you have your husband's surname too. You can be identified with both names eg. Kate Adekunle-omoare ... Adekunle is maiden name , married name is omoare. A lot of women do same these days
Re: A Lady's Last Name by geez18(m): 7:56pm On Jun 30, 2016
hahahah... i'm seriously laughing at you.

1 Like

Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 7:56pm On Jun 30, 2016
Acidosis:
If your mom had insisted on retaining her dad's name, they wouldn't have given birth to you. The implication is that you'd not be here asking this question. It also implies that the population of feminists would have reduced by 1 in Nigeria/Nairaland.

I'm 100% sure that your mom dropped her father's name, so where exactly did you learn this bad habit from? Internet? Oprah Winfrey?

I am my own woman,didn't learn nothing from anybody. you know you haven't given any solid reason why a lady shouldn't retain her last name. just because things have been done a certain way doesn't make it right. a lot of women now keep their father's name after marriage. nothing there....

3 Likes

Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 7:58pm On Jun 30, 2016
thanks diva90
Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 8:00pm On Jun 30, 2016
geez18:
hahahah... i'm seriously laughing at you.

why is u laughing *in JENIFA'S voice*
Re: A Lady's Last Name by Acidosis(m): 8:01pm On Jun 30, 2016
SWITANN:

I am my own woman,didn't learn nothing from anybody. you know you haven't given any solid reason why a lady shouldn't retain her last name. just because things have been done a certain way doesn't make it right. a lot of women now keep their father's name after marriage. nothing there....

"I am my own woman", so why insist on the father's name?

I will give you 10 reasons why a woman MUST drop her father's name, after you must have mentioned only ONE reason why a woman should retain her father's name aside PRIDE.

Just name 1, I will give you 10.

The truth is you all have absolutely no reason to retain the name aside Pride and of course, to prove the status of " Mrs Independent BUT married ". Why marry when you're independent? Why depend on daddy's name if you're truly independent?

5 Likes

Re: A Lady's Last Name by jmoore(m): 8:04pm On Jun 30, 2016
When the husband is more powerful, more influential and very wealthy, then the default setting will definitely be applied. grin grin

Ain't saying keeping your last name is wrong.

1 Like

Re: A Lady's Last Name by opeaceo: 8:05pm On Jun 30, 2016
What's in a name anyways?? I'm sure if the op is married to a Rothschild or an Oppenheimer, she would be singing a different tune
Re: A Lady's Last Name by opeaceo: 8:08pm On Jun 30, 2016
SWITANN:

You didn't learn anything from anybody?? That's new.

Why should they keep their Father's name?? Why not their mother's??

2 Likes

Re: A Lady's Last Name by geez18(m): 8:08pm On Jun 30, 2016
SWITANN:

why is u laughing *in JENIFA'S voice*

for your own good you'd better let go of that fọ́olish idea called feminism or whatever it is driving you! your mom and dad lived harmoniously simply because she knew her place in the hierachy of things.if you want to enjoy marriage too,like your mom,know your place!
Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 8:18pm On Jun 30, 2016
and where exactly is a woman's place. and its not like as if the woman won't bear her husband's name,she will but she will also keep her last name. there is no law that says a woman shouldn't retain her last name or anything wrong with that. supposing my last name is a respectable name,that people know me as and recognize me through it. I can't just drop it like DAT,why r u guys making such a big deal out of it.

2 Likes

Re: A Lady's Last Name by taryour(f): 8:32pm On Jun 30, 2016
Acidosis:
If your mom had insisted on retaining her dad's name, they (your parents) wouldn't have given birth to you. The implication is that you'd not be here asking this question. It also implies that the population of feminists would have reduced by 1 in Nigeria/Nairaland.

I'm 100% sure that your mom dropped her father's name immediately she got married to daddy, so where exactly did you learn this bad habit from? Internet? Oprah Winfrey?

Do not be deceived, ALL men LOVE humble & loyal women. The only reason why any woman would want to retain her father's name is PRIDE. Meanwhile, a proud woman can never have a happy marriage unless she luckily gets a dummy-puppy NURSE-band (husband).

Jeezz

3 Likes

Re: A Lady's Last Name by greatgod2012(f): 8:32pm On Jun 30, 2016
First, I don't like the way you people are involving her mum, it is derogatory and insulting.

@ op, why don't you discuss with your husband-to-be, if he agrees, then go ahead and hyphenate your last name and your husband surname.

If he objects, then, don't do it, if you do, then, you're trying to trade away the peace you're suppose to be enjoying in your marriage.

5 Likes

Re: A Lady's Last Name by Acidosis(m): 8:44pm On Jun 30, 2016
taryour:

Jeezz
grin grin wetin, boss of life?
Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 8:49pm On Jun 30, 2016
lol
Re: A Lady's Last Name by Acidosis(m): 8:52pm On Jun 30, 2016
greatgod2012:
First, I don't like the way you people are involving her mum, it is derogatory and insulting.

hmn, I don't think so. All I've done is nothing but an outpour of praises to her mother for taking the path of honour.

5 Likes

Re: A Lady's Last Name by geez18(m): 8:54pm On Jun 30, 2016
SWITANN:
and where exactly is a woman's place. and its not like as if the woman won't bear her husband's name,she will but she will also keep her last name. there is no law that says a woman shouldn't retain her last name or anything wrong with that. supposing my last name is a respectable name,that people know me as and recognize me through it. I can't just drop it like DAT,why r u guys making such a big deal out of it.

why do you want to keep your father's name when you get married? what's the rationale?tell us. maybe,just maybe you could make us see things your way.
Re: A Lady's Last Name by greatgod2012(f): 9:10pm On Jun 30, 2016
Acidosis:

hmn, I don't think so. All I've done is nothing but an outpour of praises to her mother for taking the path of honour.

There is a better way you and the other guy should have said/typed it that will actually portray praises.

I know what I'm talking about, but its OK.

I'm done with this thread already.

Thanks.
Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 9:17pm On Jun 30, 2016
geez18:

why do you want to keep your father's name when you get married? what's the rationale?tell us. maybe,just maybe you could make us see things your way.

assuming my name is Olu funmi,it has been like that for so many years. I met my heart rob,got married then I become Ade-Olu funmi. I can be from a home that has only females as children,I also want to carry on my father's name and the honour that comes with bearing the name. just because am getting married to another man doesn't mean I should forget the one that gave birth to me (cos two people make a baby). so holding on to one's last name after marriage is not wrong and a grown ass man who loves his wife would accept. only the proud ones will refuse.

1 Like

Re: A Lady's Last Name by Acidosis(m): 9:29pm On Jun 30, 2016
greatgod2012:

There is a better way you and the other guy should have said/typed it that will actually portray praises.

I know what I'm talking about, but its OK.

I'm done with this thread already.

Thanks.

ahan...

mother is mother naw, it is far from how you viewed it.

"Just like my mother, she dropped her father's name to embrace her husband's name".

Does the above sound abusive?
Re: A Lady's Last Name by Acidosis(m): 9:38pm On Jun 30, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin

Nigerian women sha. The only thing YOU ALL love about this latest trend is the "-"

grin

Just the hyphenated names, and nothing more!

Na ordinarily "-"

I'm also SURE that over 70% of ladies who do this engage in the act NOT because they love their father's name soooooo well (na lie!). It is mainly to "appear" as a married woman.

Na wa! To my future wife, if it is "-" you want, go and use it tongue cheesy At least to appear married on the Social Media, and send signals to predators!

Even women whose surnames are Ajanaku , Gorimapa will claim love for father's name. Iffahear!!

grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Lady's Last Name by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jun 30, 2016
diva90:
Nothing wrong with that. So far as you have your husband's surname too. You can be identified with both names eg. Kate Adekunle-omoare ... Adekunle is maiden name , married name is omoare. A lot of women do same these days
Why do they do it? Because of Hollywood and what they see in magazines where a Jada Pinket marries a Will Smith and has her name become Jada Pinkett-Smith. These celebs influence people wrongly.

Why would you still want to cling to your father's name after marriage?

Answer: because Jada pinkett-smith did it and other women are doing it too.

It portends no respect for the man of this house. It shows the marriage involves your father. You now address yourself as Mrs Kemi My Father-His Father.

It is even understandable when girl from a very rich family does that. One can say it's for political gains as she wants people to know whose daughter she is. What I find funny is when a very poor Ogogoro drinker's daughter wants such too. You mean you want to cling that man's name to my own father's name? Tofiakwa!

Don't copy everything going on out there without knowing their full intentions. That thing was started by feminists who know how gullible women are with following bandwagons about.

1 Like

Re: A Lady's Last Name by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jun 30, 2016
geez18:

She has no damn reason other than wanting to be a modern lady like Kim Kardashian-West, Beyonce Knowles-Carter, Angelina Jolie-Pitt etc.

She thinks it is fashionable and shows you know what's up. She doesn't want to be left behind by the double name rapture.
Re: A Lady's Last Name by diva90: 10:05pm On Jun 30, 2016
bloodyBLOGGER:
Why do they do it? Because of Hollywood and what they see in magazines where a Jada Pinket marries a Will Smith and has her name become Jada Pinkett-Smith. These celebs influence people wrongly.

Why would you still want to cling to your father's name after marriage?

Answer: because Jada pinkett-smith did it and other women are doing it too.

It portends no respect for the man of this house. It shows the marriage involves your father. You now address yourself as Mrs Kemi My Father-His Father.

It is even understandable when girl from a very rich family does that. One can say it's for political gains as she wants people to know whose daughter she is. What I find funny is when a very poor Ogogoro drinker's daughter wants such too. You mean you want to cling that man's name to my own father's name? Tofiakwa!

Don't copy everything going on out there without knowing their full intentions. That thing was started by feminists who know how gullible women are with following bandwagons about.

My dear, it's all about CHOICE! It's never been a crime to keep both names. It's a different thing if the woman doesn't want to bear her husband's name at all and would prefer to go by just her family's surname
Re: A Lady's Last Name by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jun 30, 2016
SWITANN:

assuming my name is Olu funmi,it has been like that for so many years. I met my heart rob,got married then I become Ade-Olu funmi. I can be from a home that has only females as children,I also want to carry on my father's name and the honour that comes with bearing the name. just because am getting married to another man doesn't mean I should forget the one that gave birth to me (cos two people make a baby). so holding on to one's last name after marriage is not wrong and a grown ass man who loves his wife would accept. only the proud ones will refuse.
To tell you the bitter truth, Your reasons are silly and belong in the garbage.

You claim you want to help keep your father's name cos he didn't give birth to a male child. I ask, won't the name still did off when you die? Or will you tell your husband that the children you have together must have your father's name attached to his own name just as you have it in yours? Are you aware that even ladies with brothers still want to carry their father's name? It's all a matter of follow follow.

Marrying your husband and bearing his name alone doesn't equate to you forgeting your father. Every reasonable man will refuse it, even a reasonable dad will advice his daughter against such.

Still clinging to your father's name is equivalent to your husband still confiding in his mum instead of you or better yet bringing her into the house.

Just because Hollywood and the media promotes it doesn't mean it has become normal. It is as abnormal as it comes.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

smiley :-))) / At What Age Should A Father Stop Bathing His Daughter? / My Neighbours Children Are Wild

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.