Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,430 members, 7,808,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:09 PM

Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria (3009 Views)

‎See The Words of Femi Gbajabiamila that Returned to Hunt Him / Court ruling: Erastus Akingbola’s Properties in Cayman Islands to be sold off / The Fall Of Erastus Akingbola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by BlackRevo: 10:10am On Sep 06, 2009
Wanted Chief Executive Officer of Intercontinental Bank PLC, Erastus Akingbola, may have sneaked back into the country and gone underground to avoid arrest by operative of the Economic Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Informed sources told Sunday Sun that the embattled bank chief allegedly returned to the country last Tuesday through the land
borders of one of the nation’s neighbouring countries. He was however yet to surrender to the EFCC.
Akingbola, the only bank CEO who reportedly left the country in the wake of his sack as the helmsman of IBPlc is the only CEO still at large.

Mrs. Cecilia Ibru of Oceanic Bank who initially was also on the run like Akingbola has since surrendered herself to the EFCC after the commission declared her and Akingbola wanted.
A reliable source at one of the security agencies said, ‘‘we reliably learnt that Erastus Akingbola sneaked back into Nigeria on Tuesday through one of our porous land borders with a neighbouring country.

We have deployed more operatives to keep an eye on him, but what we discovered was that he has not been anywhere near all his known addresses. He has been very smart and he really went underground. His fears are that he would be arrested and detained like his colleagues who were further remanded for another two weeks on Friday.”

An EFCC source however expressed confidence that Akingbola’s arrest was only a matter of time. “We are on top of the issue and I can assure you he will be nabbed because our men are already drawing a ring round him and he will soon be in the net.”

The source also listed the ‘many sins’ of the runaway CEO to include giving $10,000 travel allowance to non-executive directors of his bank, contrary to the CBN code of corporate governance in Nigeria, which limits remuneration to only sitting allowance for that cadre of directors.
The EFCC was also said to have discovered “discrepancies between the value of shares in the bank’s customer file and the valuation records supplied to the CBN.”
Akingbola was also said to have listed loans advanced in 2007 against 2009 in a frantic bid to deceive the CBN.

Besides, a whopping N20bn, of the N27bn non- performing loan portfolio of the bank was said to have been advanced to the bank directors, while the bank was also said to have massively cooked its books to hoodwink the regulatory authorities.
The EFCC source also revealed that the “commission has also discovered that $5 million from the banks coffers was transferred abroad.”

Another sin counted against Akingbola was that directors of the bank were also alleged to have being involved in under-the-table deals with the funds of the bank. ‘‘We discovered that they had a habit of releasing funds supposedly to the bank’s subsidiaries only for the money to find its way into the bank accounts of the wives of the directors, and their concubines, and sometimes their own private accounts. These funds were deposited in fixed accounts for some time to yield interest before they return it. So we discovered that they were making profit with the funds of the bank while the bank was not making anything.”

The source who insisted that the commission would not be deterred by the barrage of attack directed at her over its determination to stop the shady deals in Nigeria’s financial sector, also disclosed that some of the detained bank chiefs have suddenly turned to God in detention.
“Many of those that are Muslims have their trusted aides bring their ‘sahur’ meals to them while those that are not observing the Ramadan are turning to prayer warriors. Cecilia Ibru seems the most serious as she is always seen clutching her bible and anointing oil. She has also been playing hosts to some pastors and prayer warriors who visit her to pray for her.”

One of such pastor is said to lead a flourishing church in Ogudu area of Lagos.

Meanwhile the travel ban imposed on the bank debtors has increased the pressure on the EFCC Chairman, Mrs Farida Waziri, who may have moved her operations and office to an undisclosed location to avoid the bank debtors.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/newsonthehour/2009/sept/06/newsbreak-06-09-2009-001.htm
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by zmurda(m): 10:21am On Sep 06, 2009
They might consider lying in wait for him in the church. Each time he says something, the EFCC should shout 'LIAR!'

How did he sneak into the country under the vigilant and super sharp eagled eye of our Police, Immigration, NDLEA, Customs, National Defence, SSS, Army, Mopol, SSS,CIBN, NDA, Military Intelligence, CBN, Naval Intelligence, NSE, Road Safety, National Security Agency

kai, abeg, I no believe
grin
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by sley4life(m): 11:07am On Sep 06, 2009
efcc should gt down on him
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by GeorgeD1(m): 11:12am On Sep 06, 2009
nonesense! get down on who? is he a convict now?
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by kshow1(m): 11:15am On Sep 06, 2009
z-murda:

They might consider lying in wait for him in the church. Each time he says something, the EFCC should shout 'LIAR!'

How did he sneak into the country under the vigilant and super sharp eagled eye of our Police, Immigration, NDLEA, Customs, National Defence, SSS, Army, Mopol, SSS,CIBN, NDA, Military Intelligence, CBN, Naval Intelligence, NSE, Road Safety, National Security Agency

kai, abeg, I no believe
grin

It might be easier to sneak into the country through our porous land border because security agents will never think he will do such. The most important aspect is that he should be nabbed.

George_D:

nonesense! get down on who? is he a convict now?
why was he on the run grin
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by 4Play(m): 11:17am On Sep 06, 2009
“Many of those that are Muslims have their trusted aides bring their ‘sahur’ meals to them while those that are not observing the Ramadan are turning to prayer warriors. [b]Cecilia Ibru seems the most serious as she is always seen clutching her bible and anointing oil. [/b]She has also been playing hosts to some pastors and prayer warriors who visit her to pray for her.”

One of such pastor is said to lead a flourishing church in Ogudu area of Lagos.

You have to love this bit, Nigerian religiosity is just hilarious.
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by sley4life(m): 12:17pm On Sep 06, 2009
He has smuggled his cash abroad. He has lots of count charge on him. He should join ibru in cooler. They feel they can ruin the economy of our grt country even though it has already been ruined by past & present corrupt leaders. But i hope sanusi dont have an hidden agenda
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by GeorgeD1(m): 12:19pm On Sep 06, 2009
smuggled what? oh come on! why are you talking crap?
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by naijaking1: 12:42pm On Sep 06, 2009
sley4life:

He has smuggled his cash abroad. He has lots of count charge on him. He should join ibru in cooler. They feel they can ruin the economy of our grt country even though it has already been ruined by past & present corrupt leaders. But i hope sanusi dont have an hidden agenda

Why do you join this corrupt EFCC to convict this man even before he is tried?
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by utotomixxx(m): 12:48pm On Sep 06, 2009
GET HIM!!! GET HIM!!! angry angry angry angry grin grin grin
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by Ballinger1: 12:51pm On Sep 06, 2009
What has happened to the principle of "PRESUMED INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY"
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by KnowAll(m): 1:16pm On Sep 06, 2009
Eratus, Eratus, is a man who always wants to be on the winning side, having sojourn out of the country knowing the terrible state of his bank, and fully briefed by his lackeys and friends within the CBN system about the impending Hang Man's noose on him and a few others , he took his leave from the republic. With the EFCC declaring him wanted and threating extradition if found in friendly countries alas Ghana or the UK, he is assumed to have slipped back quietly into the country.

He is a man well versed in the Nigerian Judicial system, he knows that the maximum he will serve with good co-operation would be 6 months in jail which starts counting the moment he sits with Madame Waziri over a cup of tea. To be a fugitive in a country like Nigeria is subjecting yourself to jungle justice and street violence, where if a theif is caught in the act or an innocent person was pointed out as a theif sentencing and judgement would be summarily. But if you go through the right channel, with a few greasing of the palms here and there, you will be out b4 you say jacky stone.

Cases of Igbeneidion and Alams comes to mind, one would be a fool and senseless to run away from a country like Nigeria even if you have committed the most henious crime. To do that you get the Dikko treatment, to stand and face justice in Nigeria would be like a home coming celebration by those who are tasked with arresting you, there would be a lot of hugging, and back patting if only the cameras were allowed in Madame Waziri's Interogation room.   undecided
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by blackmann(m): 2:03pm On Sep 06, 2009
z-murda:

kai, abeg, I no believe
grin

He might have used the Alamaseigha method.
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by sley4life(m): 2:19pm On Sep 06, 2009
naijaking1:

Why do you join this corrupt EFCC to convict this man even before he is tried?

There are some cases that dont even need trials. Do we need to convict obj,odili & co b4 trial?
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by naijaking1: 2:49pm On Sep 06, 2009
Everybody needs trial, otherwise it simply becomes witchhunt. You know what I mean, like the Salem witch hunt and burnfire of 500 years ago.
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by Nobody: 3:10pm On Sep 06, 2009
Its blantant lie,i can confiem from a relaible source who lives in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, that hes currently finding succor there.He happens to be a classmate of him back from the days in Kings college,who has been a leading medical practitional in the UK for over 18 years.He can decide to stay here for as long as he lokes,he will never be arrested,u think, interpol will turn him in? In your dreams,UK is the center for money laundering.Cash 4 hand Shelter and security guaranteed.But why do all Nigerian so called crook billionaires and politician find solace in religion after commiting offences. Akingbola na pastor 4 redeemed church.Crooks.May God reserve the hottest portion of hell 4 them all.
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by GeorgeD1(m): 3:23pm On Sep 06, 2009
get him, get him what? is this jungle justice or what?
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by adctrl: 8:02pm On Sep 06, 2009
This man worshipped in my church today in Central London. You wouldn't even know that he has been declared wanted in 9ja.
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by rasputinn(m): 8:19pm On Sep 06, 2009
I laugh in swahili,which EFCC are you guys referring to??,the one headed by a corrupt woman nominated by corrupt ex-governors to shield them from justice??the same EFCC spoken for by a femi babafemi that was recommended by corrupt ex-governor Ibori,I'm not impressed one bit by the shameless glory-hunt by the EFCC to profit from the bank saga.They lack credibility from Aondoaka to Farida to Bbafemi
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by qblaze(m): 8:27pm On Sep 06, 2009
@ Rasputinn,

Word.
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by PapaBrowne(m): 8:50pm On Sep 06, 2009
adctrl:

This man worshipped in my church today in Central London. You wouldn't even know that he has been declared wanted in 9ja.
Of course everybody knows the EFCC is a joke. Acting as if they are working on getting him!
To show how nonsensical this article is, ask yourself, if the EFCC is really after him and know he isn't in the southwest as they claim, why would they announce it? Why wouldn't they just keep quite about it so they can trail him to that location they say he is at. Nonsense.

The guy is wise and innocent and I'm pretty sure he will come out on top of this charade that the CBN and the EFCC is into.
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by amobii: 12:56am On Sep 07, 2009
this efcc is funny, sometimes they think nigerians are hungry for their news or they think we fool like them, i beg just stop the propaganda and fish him out.
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by Nezan(m): 10:13am On Sep 07, 2009
The people that make most noise in our churches and mosques, donate the most in churches and mosques, etc are the people that are daily making life difficult for Nigerians . . . . . . . thieving from paul to give peter.
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by candylips(m): 10:27am On Sep 07, 2009
She has also been playing hosts to some pastors and prayer warriors who visit her to pray for her.

grin
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by utotomixxx(m): 11:41am On Sep 07, 2009
I know he MIGHT be innocent, BUT after what intercontinental bank has done to me all I can say is [size=13pt]"GET HIM!!! GET HIM!!!!"[/size]
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by GeorgeD1(m): 11:52am On Sep 07, 2009
let's hear him out before we crucify him is all i ask.
Re: Erastus Akingbola May Have Returned To Nigeria by Nobody: 12:59pm On Sep 07, 2009
JUST LIKE CECILIA,THIS MAN WILL SHOW FACE SOON.OR WAS IT EFCC THAT GOT HER?

HOW I WISH AKINGBOLA WILL ALLOW ME TAKE HIM TO EFCC CUSTODY.PERHAPS I COULD MAKE SMALL CASH.OR IS IT FOR FREE.

(1) (Reply)

Obasanjo Blames Nation’s Woes On Regional Politics ! / Enugu Governor, Chime Dead? / Will You Attend Independence Ceremony In Your State?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.