Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,881 members, 7,802,848 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:13 PM

Celebrating Gani In Pictures - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Celebrating Gani In Pictures (2283 Views)

OPC Council Disowns Gani Adams, For Betraying Yoruba Nation / POLLS: 6m OPC Members Will Vote For Jonathan –Gani Adams / Gani Adams Reveals That 85% Of Lagosians Want Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Celebrating Gani In Pictures by AloyEmeka6: 3:28pm On Sep 06, 2009
Re: Celebrating Gani In Pictures by AloyEmeka6: 3:30pm On Sep 06, 2009
Remember the war Gani and Soyinka fought in the brutal police massacre of the Nigerian international athlete and student, Dele Ndubisi Udo(1957-1981) who returned back to Nigeria from his base in the US after representing the same Nigeria in 1980 Olympics.

[img]http://3.bp..com/_omDNxceJLa4/SqNGIDzhZ5I/AAAAAAAAGFA/ZmHtlh1NDZA/s400/agani+5.jpg[/img]
Re: Celebrating Gani In Pictures by AloyEmeka6: 3:34pm On Sep 06, 2009
Re: Celebrating Gani In Pictures by Afam(m): 3:52pm On Sep 06, 2009
Nice pictures.

You may upload them here on a dedicated website to celebrate Late Chief Gani Fawehinmi.

I just uploaded one of them right now from this thread.

www.ganiliveson.org/photos.php
Re: Celebrating Gani In Pictures by AloyEmeka6: 4:35pm On Sep 06, 2009
thanks
Re: Celebrating Gani In Pictures by ndelta1(m): 8:22pm On Sep 06, 2009
may his rest in peace
Re: Celebrating Gani In Pictures by AloyEmeka6: 11:41am On Sep 07, 2009
Our generation is filled with cowards that are afraid to die. What do you think?
Re: Celebrating Gani In Pictures by call4shola(m): 12:39pm On Sep 07, 2009
Who's talking about 'death' t'an feku? grin grin, Gani was a fighter for the poor mases. RIP baba,
Re: Celebrating Gani In Pictures by AloyEmeka6: 2:39pm On Sep 07, 2009
Why Gani's burial is delayed

'If University of Ife wants my body, give it to them'

By Kamal Tayo Oropo, Armsfree Ajanaku and Gbenga Salau

IN sharp contrast to the quiet atmosphere prevalent at the Gani Fawehinmi Chambers, Ajao Estate, Anthony, Lagos, his death coincided with the industrial dispute involving security details in the estate and residents.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/sep/6/11.html

The security details accused the residents of not paying their charges, leading to the closure of the main gate leading to the chambers.

However, Gani's Ikeja home was a beehive of activities, though a sombre one, as the who's is who in the country jostled for space with family members, beneficiaries of Gani's kind heart and the army of journalists that besieged the place.

The gloomy atmosphere was, however, briefly ignited when the president of the Campaign for Democracy, Dr. Joe Okei-Odumakin, stepped into the compound.

The human rights activist could not hold back emotion, as she completely broke down, requiring efforts from other sympathisers and her husband, Yinka, of the Afenifere Renewal Group, to calm her.

Asked why breaking down so hard over the demise of a 71-year-old man, who is generally believed to have contributed all he could, Okei-Odumakin said her wailing was not for Gani alone but what he represented and the continuous insensitivity of those in authority.

The list is of well wishers was endless: from the Lagos State governor, Babatunde Raji Fashola, to former governor and NADECO chieftain, Admiral Ndubuisi Kanu (Rtd), Senator Ganiu Solomon, Chief Olisa Agbakoba (SAN) and Dr. Frederick Fasehun, founder of the Oodua Peoples Congress (OPC).

Fielding questions from The Guardian, Gani's younger brother, Rotimi Fawehinmi, said that contrary to expectation that Gani, a Muslim, would be buried immediately, according to Islamic injunctions, he would not be interred today (yesterday) and in Lagos.

His words: "Since he was hospitalised, I was by his side and what he said all through was that we should not rush to bury him; we should take our time to plan the burial very well.

"You can see that is why there is nothing going on yet as par the burial; we still have to sit and meet. He said we should take him to Ondo. So, definitely he would be buried in Ondo."

On some of the bedside wishes of Gani, Rotimi said: "Most of the things he was doing while he was alive, he advised that we should keep on promoting them.

"Like last week's Wednesday was his mother's remembrance and all those things must continue the same with that of his father."

He continued: "You know Gani Fawehinmi very well; he always has his own personal style. He is a one-man riot squad; he does not depend on anybody.

"And he has been saying this for a long time: that he must not be buried in a hurry. Yes, he was a Muslim, and the Seriki Adinni of Ondo.

"But despite that, he said he does not want anybody to just go and throw him down; that we must sit down to plan very well.

"He even went to the extent of saying that if the University of Ife wants his corpse, we should release it to them; that the burial must be well planned.

"So, we have not fixed a date. We, the family, are going to meet and look at how we are going to bury him. But definitely, he is going to be buried in Ondo."

Gani's first wife, Mrs. Ganiyat Fawehinmi, expressing how much of a family man Gani was, said: "Gani was a family man right from day one. He always provided for his children and members of the extended family.

"And people can testify to this. Even those he does not know from Adam, he takes care of them. He shares the little he had with everybody."

On how much she is going to miss the man she married about 42 years ago, Ganiyat, displaying a strong will in accepting the tragedy, said:

"I will miss everything about him; he has been a loving and a caring husband. He has been everything to me; a father, a brother and a confidant."

Gani's last word to her: "He said I should tell the human rights groups that they should not give up in fighting for the masses.

"That they should continue to hammer it into the ears of the government, that it should make life easy for Nigerians because the country has the money to provide free medicare, education and all that."

According to her: "Everybody knows what he (Gani) stood for. He stood for the under-privileged and the masses of this country.

"He continued to say that the government should make this country better for Nigerians, and provide for the masses of this country.

"He wanted people to have free medicare, education and other infrastructure like light and water.

"He wanted government to make Nigerians happy, and he believed that the country has the money to provide all these things. He said I should make sure his children are well taken care of."

On the eventual demise of her father, Gani's first daughter, Dr. Hafsat Oni, said the state of healthcare delivery in the country is "appalling."

She described the processes that the ailment took her father: "I was in the United States when a surgeon called me from England, and told me that the Chief was being affected by a malignancy, and I told them not to discharge him until I got there.

"When I got to England, I broke the news to my father and decided to fly him to the United States with me so that he could have the best healthcare.

"But he did not want to go to the States because he believed that the British had a superior healthcare system. You know he trained in England back in the 1960s, and his loyalty was there.

"At a point, he went through three different tumours, and it was getting very gruesome on his body, even though he was strong.

"My father kept on going. With his age, many of the doctors thought that in a year he would be gone, but he kept on going for two and half years.

"At a point, my mother called me and told me that he was still breathing. Funny, but that was his heart.

"At that point, I realised that something else was going on. My uncle, a cardiologist, told me to move him where there would be good diagnosis."

Whether she would have preferred to have a more private father instead of the one that engaged in public activism, Mrs. Oni said:

"Fighting for the poor was his passion. Despite everything I discussed with him, I later realised that that was what he wanted to live for, and he did.

"He believed so much in this great nation, Nigeria, that nothing I told him swayed him.

She continued: "Recentl
Re: Celebrating Gani In Pictures by larez(m): 3:00pm On Sep 07, 2009
May his Soul rest in peace, and may many of us be strongly motivated to follow his dreams. God Bless Gani, a big Brother and Father for all of Nigeria.
Re: Celebrating Gani In Pictures by kabola2009(m): 3:02pm On Sep 07, 2009
cry cry cry cry cry Adieu!

(1) (Reply)

Buhari ,buharism, And Buharinomics Part4: Those Who Know His Method Speak / “why We Did Not Kill Obasanjo” – Boko Haram Leader / We Have Experienced This Period In The Time Of Abacha-Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.