Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,785 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:32 PM

Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. (52197 Views)

Be 100% Sure Of The Property You Wish To Acquire At Ibeju Lekki / Land Without Document / LAND DOCUMENT OR TITLE To Know Before Buying Property In Lagos #Safety first (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by Kx: 4:18pm On Jul 01, 2016
where is @ominilelawyer when u need him?
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by vicstar(m): 4:18pm On Jul 01, 2016
eleyi gidi gan o cry , be prudent in yo dealings
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by whirlwind7(m): 4:18pm On Jul 01, 2016
opius:

So y do u still need people's advise .. ?

Check who posted the topic. What's wrong with all of you today? Everyone quoting me as if I'm the one asking for advice.

The reason why I don't like property topics going to the front page. Everyone jumps in as if they got something to say.

10 Likes

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by TruthHurts1(m): 4:20pm On Jul 01, 2016
coolsalm:
Good day Nairalanders,

Please i need the help of experienced people and lawyers in the house for purchasing a property in Lagos.
So recently i decided to purchase a property in Lagos at Agbara area, after negotiating the price with the seller i asked for the land documents, the documents which were handed over to me were the Receipt from Original family owner of the land, Survey plan and the deed of assignment,
what i am worried about now is that in the deed of assignment, there is a clause that states that the original family leased the land for 70 years to the person who wants to sell the property to me now, though currently there are flats with tenants on the said land. attached is the image of the deed of assignment.

So please experienced Nairalanders, i need to know if that 70 years clause will affect me in the future before i can decide to proceed with the purchase.

Thanks

Ole boy na one chance you enter. Your transaction has fraud written all over it. I'd advise you to stop looking for solutions on naiaraland and consult an experienced property lawyer. There are no cheap alternatives to paying legal fees grin

1 Like

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jul 01, 2016
beesammy:
According to land use act of 1978, there is no freehold interest in land, which means all land belongs to the Government, buyers only have leasehold interest for 99 years. That's one of the reasons you pay ground rent annually. In essence, WE ARE ALL LESSEES, some third parties are SUB-LESSES. Government is the actual LESSOR/ OUTRIGHT OWNER.

you go school abeg.

2 Likes

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by whirlwind7(m): 4:24pm On Jul 01, 2016
Satioshi:
If you did, then why seek Nairalanders' opinion? undecided

grin grin grin
There comes another one. Seem like everyone has a problem distinguishing between his phone and his dick today.
Go to the first page and check who asked for you guys opinion. Haba!

8 Likes

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by Raypawer(m): 4:24pm On Jul 01, 2016
Bro Get the Service of a competent lawyer!
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by iamprotocol(m): 4:26pm On Jul 01, 2016
To. The best of. My Knowledge, the only way. To own that property is by going back to the original landlord for a proper negotiation else when the. Duration. Of the lease is. Over you might have more problems than. You can ever imagine it has happend to my. Client. And he had to. Go back to start the negotiation process and had to pay extra expences.
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by Adeevah(m): 4:26pm On Jul 01, 2016
Mr...My candid advise is that you shouldn't go for the property

It is a leased property, you will cease to be the owner of the property after 7Oyears and I am sure that the present owner has enjoyed better part of the years

You can get a better one with 'freehold' indicated on the agreement...not 'leasehold'...with freehold, the property belongs to you till the end of time
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by 19naia(m): 4:35pm On Jul 01, 2016
It cleary says its a Leased property. You do not need a lawyer to know the seller is actually only a lessee of the property and therefore has no right to sell the property. You may be able to buy out his balance in the lease but not to buy the property outright.
A judge in court will have to pass judgement in honor of the orginal 70 year lease and dismiss any claims to purchase that came in later without written consent of the actual owner.

If you want that property, go and look for the original owner that leased it to the person trying to sell it.

Save yourself the lawyer costs and cease all transactions with the person who is obviously identified as no better than a simple renter on long term lease. It doesnt take a lawyer to know this.
Even if you find the original owner, he may not be able to sell it sef because it is bound by the balance of the 70 year lease.
You may be able to buy out the lessees remaining interests ,but you would still have to settle an additional purchase price with the original owner.
Basically you would need two contracts. One that buys out the lessees lease interests and another that buys out the original owner's title holder interests.
The property may end up being more costly than you imagined if you go the correct route.

If you are still interested in the property despite the potential added costs, save yourself from lawyer costs for now and go find the original owner and discuss sale with him and then discuss with the person it is leased to for a price to release his lease interests.
More importantly, now that you see the property is being handled dubiously, go and do a title search on it to be certain it has no other questionable issues going on with it.
If you reach a deal with the original owner and are willing prepared to pay more than you expected for the property, Your best bet is to first pay to research the property history via the title history and any legal records concerning the property in prior disputes.

Also this can get very complicated if the original owner died and left behind family members who were not bequeathed the property nor made aware it exists under a long term lease agreement. This person trying to sell it to you ,may know that the original owner is nowhere to be found and has no family or trusts aware of the lease drawn up in 1977. The property could end up in legal freeze for quite some time if the legal owner or his inheritors cannot be found.

7 Likes

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jul 01, 2016
coolsalm:
Good day Nairalanders,

Please i need the help of experienced people and lawyers in the house for purchasing a property in Lagos.
So recently i decided to purchase a property in Lagos at Agbara area, after negotiating the price with the seller i asked for the land documents, the documents which were handed over to me were the Receipt from Original family owner of the land, Survey plan and the deed of assignment,
what i am worried about now is that in the deed of assignment, there is a clause that states that the original family leased the land for 70 years to the person who wants to sell the property to me now, though currently there are flats with tenants on the said land. attached is the image of the deed of assignment.

So please experienced Nairalanders, i need to know if that 70 years clause will affect me in the future before i can decide to proceed with the purchase.

Thanks

That's not a deed of assignment, it's a deed of lease. Loosely put, it is a tenancy agreement, and the implication is that, on the strength of this document alone, the guys who want to sell to you have no title/right to transfer to you. They are mere tenants. All things being equal, title still belongs to the original owners.

Conclusively, I would advise you to flee, as this transaction is an appearance of evil.

smiley

1 Like

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jul 01, 2016
coolsalm:
Good day Nairalanders,

Thanks
It will.

The land reverses to the owner - the one who leased it to your seller - after 70 years.

He should not lease it except with the permission of the original lessor.

If the permission is given, you get the remaining time
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by inspiratio: 4:39pm On Jul 01, 2016
whirlwind7:

grin grin grin
There comes another one. Seem like everyone has a problem distinguishing between his phone and his dick today.
Go to the first page and check who asked for you guys opinion. Haba!

cheesy grin grin Wetin u do this guy's o. @coolsam is the OP who seeks peoples opinion and not @whirlwind7
Funny guys.
@coolsam, better seek for a professional advice from a competent lawyer.

3 Likes

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by joinnow: 4:39pm On Jul 01, 2016
Why back date. Bros drop it like is hot.
Beside check omonilelawyer in Nl or his website.he listed10 things to watch out for when buying land in Lagos. If any is present dont buy. I think back dated is included.so bad buy.
Don't buy. Beside have you check the coordinate at survey general office Alausa cool cool cool
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by Batlan01: 4:43pm On Jul 01, 2016
Check [size=20pt]MY SIGNATURE[/size] if U're interested
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by feeloscar(m): 4:46pm On Jul 01, 2016
Uchihaitaci:

Hey relax bruv he was just offering you advise.. undecided
wat kind of advice?the man knows wat he is saying.
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by meltiplexer: 4:46pm On Jul 01, 2016
coolsalm:
Good day Nairalanders,

Thanks

You better shine your eye very well before you purchase any land in this lagos o,because most of them are 419
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by whirlwind7(m): 4:49pm On Jul 01, 2016
19naia:
It cleary says its a Leased property. You do not need a lawyer to know the seller is actually only a lessee of the property and therefore has no right to sell the property. You may be able to buy out his balance in the lease but not to buy the property outright.
A judge in court will have to pass judgement in honor of the orginal 70 year lease and dismiss any claims to purchase that came in later without written consent of the actual owner.

If you want that property, go and look for the original owner that leased it to the person trying to sell it.

Save yourself the lawyer costs and cease all transactions with the person who is obviously identified as no better than a simple renter on long term lease. It doesnt take a lawyer to know this.
Even if you find the original owner, he may not be able to sell it sef because it is bound by the balance of the 70 year lease.
You may be able to buy out the lessees remaining interests ,but you would still have to settle an additional purchase price with the original owner.
Basically you would need two contracts. One that buys out the lessees lease interests and another that buys out the original owner's title holder interests.
The property may end up being more costly than you imagined if you go the correct route.

If you are still interested in the property despite the potential added costs, save yourself from lawyer costs for now and go find the original owner and discuss sale with him and then discuss with the person it is leased to for a price to release his lease interests.
More importantly, now that you see the property is being handled dubiously, go and do a title search on it to be certain it has no other questionable issues going on with it.
If you reach a deal with the original owner and are willing prepared to pay more than you expected for the property, Your best bet is to first pay to research the property history via the title history and any legal records concerning the property in prior disputes.

Also this can get very complicated if the original owner died and left behind family members who were not bequeathed the property nor made aware it exists under a long term lease agreement. This person trying to sell it to you ,may know that the original owner is nowhere to be found and has no family or trusts aware of the lease drawn up in 1977. The property could end up in legal freeze for quite some time if the legal owner or his inheritors cannot be found.

Great advice, bro. You obviously have dealings in property issues.
As for me, once I perceive theere are certain encumbrances or strings attached to a property, I take a walk immediately.
There are always great deals elsewhere. It's very easy to make poor judgements once you begin to develop a sort of attachment to a piece of property you wish to acquire. Perhaps due to it's location, price or other variables.

3 Likes

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by Iko5000: 4:52pm On Jul 01, 2016
OP is the date there March 1922 ? if its that means the lease is over and there is another lease or arrangement which you need to get a lawyer to find out ,unless i'm wrong here.
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jul 01, 2016
Op,run for your life.. u ar taking a lease
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by fidorocks(m): 4:57pm On Jul 01, 2016
Go and consult a lawyer for proper advice. It's bad you didn't do that from the beginning.
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by barristerzinny(f): 5:06pm On Jul 01, 2016
coolsalm:
Good day Nairalanders,

Thanks
am a lawyer, the landhas already been encumbered since it is under a lease. That means the original title to the land, will be reverted to the original owners that leased the land to the lessee. Pls don't buy the land, u should have engaged the services of a lawyer to conduct a search report for you on the said land.
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by rhadiator15(m): 5:06pm On Jul 01, 2016
dammytosh:
U are not buying.

U are renting.GBAAM.!!!

To make it very clear to u.
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by ADUBA1(m): 5:07pm On Jul 01, 2016
He is just advising you. However, if you think you did why come to nairaland to seek advise or you what to tell us that you have money to buy land?
whirlwind7:

And what makes you think I don't?

1 Like

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by Babs24: 5:08pm On Jul 01, 2016
I do not know why everyone is advising to get a lawyer. I hope we all know its not their duty. The professionals involeved in this are the REAL ESTATE MANAGERS. Just get yourself the service of a professional REALTOR and the rest will be story. They are the one to hndle all these.

Some people may say Lawyers are the best in this situation but I tell you, they are not the best fit.

2 Likes

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by rhadiator15(m): 5:08pm On Jul 01, 2016
dammytosh:
U are not buying.

U are renting.

To make it very clear to u.
GBAAM.!!!
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by whirlwind7(m): 5:11pm On Jul 01, 2016
ADUBA1:
He is just advising you. However, if you think you did why come to nairaland to seek advise or you what to tell us that you have money to buy land?

angry angry angry angry

Another one who just drove into the gutter. This isn't funny anymore.
Can't you guys read, or see?

I AM NOT THE OP!!!

8 Likes

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jul 01, 2016
whirlwind7:
Go with caution.
I see from the document the words "lessor" and "lesee" used to address both parties. This clearly shows that the land is under a lease title, and not outright purchase.
Get a good property lawyer to handle this for you, to see if these terms can be amended. Otherwise, avoid it and look elsewhere.
My deeds of assignments usually have the words "donor" and "donee" to refer to the seller and buyer respectively.
I don't understand why everyone on FP is quoting you lol
You didn't ask the question, so what are they saying I'm confused o

1 Like

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jul 01, 2016
FredN:

Correctly n succinctly explained
Deemed grants are lands under customary land law that were alienated b4 1978 and thus govt can't claim ownership of them. Wen u sell any land in that category, it's complete assignment but there are steps u must follow.
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by coolsalm: 5:16pm On Jul 01, 2016
Thanks everyone for your contributions
Am just coming back from the land registry at alausa and was told in the legal office that i shouldn't worry about the lease hold of 70 years on the document cos that was how land sales was conducted during that period of time which the land was bought from the omonile, though am not still satisfied with that explanation cos its my hard earned money that is at stake here. The lawyer also siad the property needs ratification before a C of O would be processed under my name if i choose to continue with the purchase

So nairalanders that bought land in the 70s is this information correct?

Kindly note that the person i want to buy the property from has since built 1 unit of 3 bedroom flats, 2 unit of 2 bedroom flats and 1 unit of 1 room self contain on the land which there are tenants leaving in presently.

For those saying i should get a lawyer ave tried getting one and he told me he will be collecting 10percent of the amount i am paying for the property before he will help me now imagine if i am buying the property for 15Million dats why i decided to do the findings nd research myself.
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by victorpopoola20: 5:16pm On Jul 01, 2016
If u like the land as u have already collected the documents. U and the seller on 1 side can meet the family and negotiate with them to change it from lease hold to free hold, it will require some additional money for the original land owner. Then ur lawyer with now prepare new deed of agreement and stamp duty it. Then u can go for c of o at ur own convenient time.
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by ADUBA1(m): 5:16pm On Jul 01, 2016
I see. Sorry
whirlwind7:

angry angry angry angry
Another one who just drove into the gutter. This isn't funny anymore. Can't you guys read, or see?
I AM NOT THE OP!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Business Started Crumbling Since I Moved Into This Apartment / Updated Cost Of Renting A 2 Bedroom Apartment In Lagos / How To Calculate Materials Needed For German Floor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.