Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:04 AM

Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) (11314 Views)

I Feel Cheated After Months Of Hardwork, I Need Your Opinion / Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) / Badagry The New Lagos: Need A Land In Badagry Call Me 08079201118 or 08060989506 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by richcookie(m): 11:46pm On Sep 06, 2009
Hello,
I need sincere opinions as to the best location to stay in lagos.

I left Nigeria 27 years ago and have now decided to come home for lucrative business reasons. I have some reliable friends but I like to do my own research. Apart from the usual areas IKOYI, V/ISLAND, BANANA ISLAND, what other areas would you recommend. My needs are:

At least 3 bedrooms

Suitable kitchen with gas pipe in ( just turn on stove and cook)

Adequate water supply

garage

And very secure.

I am open to reasonable prices.

Your candid views about renting or buying will be greatly appreciated. My anticipated arrival date is late November or early December 2009
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by textington: 1:37pm On Sep 07, 2009
You can equally live in other fine places in Lagos
not necessarily the island.
However, you don't the idea of getting a house
with pipeline gas for cooking.
Our environment is definitely not ready for such yet
but you can buy transparent cylinders which can be connected
to cooker from outside to allow to cook.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by Nobody: 2:43pm On Sep 07, 2009
Try Ikeja GRA, Magodo GRA and Omole Estate Phase 1
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by german007(m): 3:51pm On Sep 07, 2009
@ dapseee

I agree with you. Ikeja is a very very nice area,

@ Poster.
I lived abroad for 9 years and came back home to live, Ikeja really impressed me. If you go do mistake venture to VI , IKOYI OR LEKKI.
Traffic congestion in those areas is too too much

Also look at Surulere, Gbagada.

Many Thanks and welcome home.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by richcookie(m): 1:30am On Sep 08, 2009
german007:

@ dapseee

I agree with you. Ikeja is a very very nice area,

@ Poster.
I lived abroad for 9 years and came back home to live, Ikeja really impressed me. If you go do mistake venture to VI , IKOYI OR LEKKI.
Traffic congestion in those areas is too too much

Also look at Surulere, Gbagada.

Many Thanks and welcome home.

Hi
german007,
Thanks for the info. Do you reside in Ikeja gra? Any referrals of any good estate agents? Thanks a million for your insights.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by ajileko: 2:05am On Sep 08, 2009
surulere is another good option.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by Jumyg: 11:34am On Sep 08, 2009
Try Omole Phase 2, close to Magodo GRA. There are two entrances into the estate with very good security system.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by jaybee3(m): 11:45am On Sep 08, 2009
I think one of the key criteria should be the distance that you are prepared to travel back and forth from your place of residence to the places your business will be taking you. This criteria alone if not well thought-off/considered will frustrate you having to be stuck in traffic.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by richcookie(m): 4:49pm On Sep 08, 2009
jay bee:

I think one of the key criteria should be the distance that you are prepared to travel back and forth from your place of residence to the places your business will be taking you. This criteria alone if not well thought-off/considered will frustrate you having to be stuck in traffic.

Main business location will be in Ikeja.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by jaybee3(m): 4:50pm On Sep 08, 2009
dappssee:

Try Ikeja GRA, Magodo GRA and Omole Estate Phase 1
should be your best bet
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by german007(m): 5:06pm On Sep 08, 2009
@Richcookie.

Hang on a minute bros, on a second thought,  "27 years?   phew.
You have been away for a long long long time.  How did u manage that?,  How old were you when you left? and how comes you stayed away for so long. Pardon me asking.  I was away for 9yrs and only came home once.  Took me a few months to re-adjust.  I reckon you might find it a bit hard innitially but eventually you'l re-adjust.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by richcookie(m): 5:34pm On Sep 08, 2009
german007:

@Richcookie.

Hang on a minute bros, on a second thought, "27 years? phew.
You have been away for a long long long time. How did u manage that?, How old were you when you left? and how comes you stayed away for so long. Pardon me asking. I was away for 8yrs and only came home once. Took me a few months to re-adjust. I reckon you might find it a bit hard innitially but eventually you'l re-adjust.

Actually, came to America in my early teens. Took a decade to get legit (paper wise). Set up several businesses and kids and then travelling became an issue. The business opportunity I am coming home for is so huge. The big players keep very quiet. Trust me I will be prepared for known and unknown contingencies. I am aware of the 419 issues and security problems. Pardon my asking, what business are you into "german007"
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by german007(m): 5:49pm On Sep 08, 2009
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by richcookie(m): 9:01pm On Sep 08, 2009
german007:

Very Interesting indeed.

I Lived in London for 8 yrs. Left at the age of 22. Just like you took me 4 yrs to get legit. "Had to get married relatively young so I could get legit". And I tell you what bro. Iv never for once regretted doing so. I finnaly came home just this year to settle and get my self established, that was after completing two degrees. Im currently into importing and selling automobiles from EU Countries , I sell them here in Nigeria and I'm also a registered Car Trader in London . My main aim is to open up a Car dealership here in Nigeria very soon.

I made a self conscious decision never to work for anyone ever again, and to be my own boss. Not having to report myself to anyone.

My advice to you is to be careful of those who you think are your friends, Even people you think you can trust in your family. Be careful. Its best to deal with people who dont know much about you, (where uv been, what u've been thru , how much you have)
Keep your focus on your plans here and what you'r coming here to do, Dont get distracted. And be very careful of people you deal with. Because to the, You'r a foreigner (even though we both know you'r not) And they assume Euro,s dollars and pounds grow on the streets on Europe and America

Good Luck Brother.

Thanks for your good advice. The worst betrayers are those very close family members. One of my "blood" elder brother I sponsored to America played me well. You know,I will be attending a function in NEW YORK in MIDDLE Oct 2009 and the keynote speaker will be the Lagos state governor. How is he doing? I have heard some good things about him. Apart from the rosy picture he will paint about Lagos, what other issues should we press him about?
Well not to digress, I am looking through several real estate agents sent by some people in the know. I must confess some of the agents are acting like pure crooks b4 we do any deal.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by german007(m): 9:30pm On Sep 08, 2009
Your welcome .

Whao sorry to hear about what your elder brother did to you, Its really not suprising.  People have gone thru worse experiences with their siblings.

Iv had friends who send money home monthly towards projects like Building a house or starting a business.  They come home thinking all has been set up and meet nothing.  Its just best to trust yourself only and no-one else.

Yes the Lagos state Governor ,  Fashola  ,  has greatly improved Lagos state.  Its a lot cleaner, a lot more infrastructures,  Crime has reduced greatly, Infact  its more or less been totally wiped out. There's armed security everywhere. He's created a lot of jobs for the unemployed, hence keeping them off the streets.

When you do arrive, You'l have a feeling of personal security, no fear or worry of being robbed wherever you are. Banks now issue atm cards, So you dont really need to carry too much cash around.    One thing though , No matter how much you try adapt and pretend to be a true true local, You cant hide it much. They know when they see you, Simply because of your skin, Body language and /or how you dress.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by lawyer(m): 9:31pm On Sep 08, 2009
richcookie:

Well not to digress, I am looking through several real estate agents sent by some people in the know. I must confess some of the agents are acting like pure crooks b4 we do any deal.

grin grin grin grin grin

Let me not talk before they say i am spoiling the names of some Agents and before they say i am a tyrant and long time descendant of Benito Mussolini because i am trying to expose the criminal ones from the good ones! grin

Thank you Rich for your timely statement. Nairaland will be ever grateful if you can link us to the crooked ones so they wont harm other people too! wink

Cheers!
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by DisGuy: 10:34pm On Sep 08, 2009
Why not visit first! its best you visit several time before the big one

Apart from the rosy picture he will paint about Lagos, what other issues should we press him about?
Education and health and investment in not too posh areas of the state
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by Bruvdotcom(m): 12:22am On Sep 09, 2009
@german007, remain blessed!!!
You have just given the best advise ever for someone trying to settle back into 9Jar.
However, I reckon its also advisable to always carry "some" cash when going out in case @ sometime (we pray NOT) "they" demand by force
(@ least you've got some change on ya), LOL
I'm also planning a "semi" relocation after 15yrs in JAND BUT just cant bring myself & family to relocate fully (It wont be fair on wifey & kids) LOL.
Hmm, also, try to avoid "night" waka or restrict it to the island,
Just my 2 pence. GOODLUCK!!!!
Cheers, Bruv
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by popoyeh(m): 4:33pm On Sep 09, 2009
@ poster

My name is Ajayi Olutayo and l run my own estate agency. Its a relatively small organisation run by a couple of young and hardworking Nigerian youths, but we pride ourself on being able to go the extra mile for our clients and keep attention to details. I read your posts and we are willing to render our services to you. If you decide to use us, we will do our best to get you your ideal property and make sure you never regret doing business with us.
'Tayo
07094029826, 07065926857
For :- Realty Lutay
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by richcookie(m): 6:50pm On Sep 09, 2009
popoyeh:

@ poster

My name is Ajayi Olutayo and l run my own estate agency. Its a relatively small organisation run by a couple of young and hardworking Nigerian youths, but we pride ourself on being able to go the extra mile for our clients and keep attention to details. I read your posts and we are willing to render our services to you. If you decide to use us, we will do our best to get you your ideal property and make sure you never regret doing business with us.
'Tayo
07094029826, 07065926857

Hi
Ajayi,
Thanks for your offer. What part of Lagos is your office located? Do you specialize in certain areas. In any transaction do you represent the landlord or the tenant or both. Finally, what percentage is your fee?
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by german007(m): 7:12pm On Sep 09, 2009
Hi Ajayi.

I really hope you live up to your word as you say .   Believe me there is no better respect than having someone's trust and sticking to your word of profesionalism.           
Not being able to trust is one big problem killing Nigeria. People have no concience whatsoever and will cheat and con whosoever ,without thinking of tommorow.

Wish you the best of luck in your business, and may you grow from strength to strength.

Regards.

KAY

2 Likes

Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by landmattaz(m): 7:45pm On Sep 09, 2009
Your candid views about renting or buying will be greatly appreciated. My anticipated arrival date is late November or early December 2009

Its good we have people like you that remember home,home they say is the best after a while away.At least,with your exposure and business idea,employment will be sure for our youth.
Concerning the property,i will suggest you first of all get a rental apartment first in a good location like Magodo Sangisha,Omole Phase 1 or 2,Ikeja GRA,Gbagada Phase 1 and 2.All this locations are good locations in the mainland that can make you feel at home a bit.
In any of this area rent is between the range of N500,000 to N1m for 3 Bedroom flat,a duplex is in the range of N1.2m to N2m,its varies depend on the neatness of the house and the location.Ikeja GRA is the highest among all the estates.Rent is always on 2 years,you pay agency,legal documentation which is always 10% each of the total rent payable.In Some cases they request for refundable deposit which is not common.
My advice for you is to take a rent for 2 years,withing the 2 years of your stay in rental apartment,you get to know people and the environment very well.You also get to know agents and lawyers who you can vouch for a sale of property and the best location you will prefer to buy.Also,there are some other locations that is also good like a mini estate in Ojodu/Berger area (Ojodu Estate),(Mogan Estate)etc this are is quite good and well secure and goes lesser than all the first mention location.

1 Like

Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by popoyeh(m): 11:48pm On Sep 09, 2009
@ poster
Our office is in Lagos Island, but we cover Lagos & Ogun states and through networking with other estate agencies in the country, we are able to get geniune properties anywhere in Nigeria without having a physical office in all states of the federation.
We represent both tenants and landlords; in your case, we would be representing the tenant except if we have a property that suits your needs in our care. In which case we would be representing you as our client, as well as the landlord whose property is in our care.
Our fee is 10% agency, 10% legal if u are letting and 5% each if buying.

@ German007
Thanks for the words of advice, if we get to represent the poster, we will provide excellent services in all sincerity and try our best to take his worries about getting the ideal property off him.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by Btzzk: 2:59am On Sep 10, 2009
Hello Guys,
I will appreciate it if someone can tell me what it would cost me to buy a nice house @ GRA Ikeja, and rough estimate of what it would cost me to build four flat on 2 story building. i am planning to return back to Niger but my family will need nice place to stay.

Thanks
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by landmattaz(m): 10:50am On Sep 10, 2009
Hello Guys,
I will appreciate it if someone can tell me what it would cost me to buy a nice house @ GRA Ikeja, and rough estimate of what it would cost me to build four flat on 2 story building.

In Ikeja GRA,a tastefully finished 5 beroom with BQ detached house goes for between N120m to N150M,a semi detached may go for N80m to N100.While 3 bedrooms flat in a block of flats goes for N35m to 40m depend on the finishing.
NB :All prices are always Neg when the landlord get a serious buyer.Ikeja GRA is the most costly area in the mainland.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 10, 2009
i think ikeja should be okay.but okoko ajangbadi is not bad either.am saying this becos i dont know how much u are coming with.in okoko/ajangbadi u can buy a house,the tenants and even the landlord for lest than n5m.but u can follow ur mine.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by richcookie(m): 11:08pm On Sep 10, 2009
landmattaz:

In Ikeja GRA,a tastefully finished 5 beroom with BQ detached house goes for between N120m to N150M,a semi detached may go for N80m to N100.While 3 bedrooms flat in a block of flats goes for N35m to 40m depend on the finishing.
NB :All prices are always Neg when the landlord get a serious buyer.Ikeja GRA is the most costly area in the mainland.

Thanks for the info. For security reasons I will cross check everything when on the ground in Nigeria. Until I know whom to trust, I am using confusion tactics ( no one knows the whole story). It is a sad way to start with relatives, but some are salivating on how to get into my pocket. Most will be suprised because I am not the little kid that left to america. I am considering free one week housing in lekki, V Island. By the 4th week I should have an idea of the best area and start hiring my crew.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by german007(m): 11:26pm On Sep 10, 2009
Lol I like that phrase "salivating your pocket". One thing I figured out is that, when you do settle, Its best to settle somewhere a bit far from the area you grew up in before you left for the states.

Like I said earlier, live somewhere no one knows about you, how long u'v been away for , or where you'v been all this years. Its keeps you more in focus and keep prying eyes away from you.

Good luck.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by popoyeh(m): 12:05am On Sep 11, 2009
@ richcookie

When you come in do check us out.

'Tayo
07094029826, 07065926857
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by richcookie(m): 2:12am On Sep 11, 2009
german007:

Lol I like that phrase "salivating your pocket". One thing I figured out is that, when you do settle, Its best to settle somewhere a bit far from the area you grew up in before you left for the states.

Like I said earlier, live somewhere no one knows about you, how long u'v been away for , or where you'v been all this years. Its keeps you more in focus and keep prying eyes away from you.

Good luck.

Well I grew up in Mushin and Idi-oro proper. Not my destinations now, probably still very bad. I actually remember been a conductor in a "MOLUE" for one month. I will move around a lot the first month. By the way I have a BMW X5 2003 111,000 MILES (about how much) but i might prefer Toyota land cruiser or suv. The Bmw is coming and the toyota i need to buy at the auction.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by dejgan: 11:55am On Sep 11, 2009
@richie

uhmm, many nigerians in diaspora are faced with the same challenge. Its terrible because things have gone worse than you left it several years back. It is more disturbing when you have to bring your innocent kids from a decent/working system into this environment where nothing seems certain.

as per whom to trust, german007 has given a good advice. conceal as much as possible your story. we often make that mistake when we come into a new environment. things are a lot different here because of the poverty.

you will need a suv in nigeria because the road are bad. i know americans are fuel-economy conscious.

if your family are coming with you. it may be a bit selfish not to consider the schools for your kids, your house, office, school, market, recreation should be within a distance of 15minutes drive (that may take 2hours sometimes in traffic for 9ja). there are good schools in nigeria but consider proximity.

certain areas of the state are bad for drainage, many people suggested the GRAs, some of them are not having a good drainage system, always look out for that, some well designed estates are better. some of the GRAs too are fast becoming commercial than residential. you wouldnt want to be neighbours with a nite club, pub or even a bank for security reasons. owners are fast selling to relocate to newer estates where serenity and private life is preserved.

i started working for people relocating back home early this year with a few results in abuja and lagos. will be willing to render our services to you. be free to call me on 07040298808. thanks!
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by abbs: 12:23pm On Sep 11, 2009
Guys,

I'm impressed with your responses, I have been in the UK 21 years and planning to relocate 90% in 4.5 years from now, I've started bit by bit by putting things on ground. I was visiting frequently until 3 years ago. I guess I need to intensify my visits to see what everyone is saying about Fashola. I'm planning to go into entertainment (films - nollywood to be precise as a producer) to bring my experience and knowledge to the industry by helping out in my own way to improve the industry. My Director was telling me the other day that Nollywood is now the 3rd largest industry in the world and even challenged me to go help out. I heard our good Governor is building a film village in Badagry.

On a different note, what do you guys think of Lekki free trade zone i.e buying land / properties for investment purposes. I saw some Estates in the area like Amen Estate and Olive Estate.

Cheers

Abbs

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Painting & Decoration POP And Screeding / Item not available / A 2 & 3 BEDROOM BLOCK OF FLATS @ AGEGE MOTOR ROAD SHOGUNLE OSHODI

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.