Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,935 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

Why Do Catholic Church Do This?? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Catholic Church Do This?? (956 Views)

Which Church Do You Currently Attend And Why? / Which Church Do You Attend? / Which Church Do You Attend? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Catholic Church Do This?? by Big4wig(m): 12:44pm On Jul 03, 2016
Was born anglican but my bro in-law happens to be catholic..currently i stay in his place so yea catholic church is a must...I do notice the smoke ish the priest use every mass,asked around & was told it was called Incense...Nairalanders i would love to be enlightened on the purpose of its application but IMO i think its simply an air pollutant...I love the mass & all its music explorations & i still believe we all serve the same God but the use is still a mystery..Any help??

SlyIsaac ur catholic,any help bro?
Re: Why Do Catholic Church Do This?? by kio052001(m): 1:01pm On Jul 03, 2016
incense revokes any evil and prepares the environ for Christ presence

Christ is present in form of the bread and wine which is taken at the altar (Luke 22:11-20)
Re: Why Do Catholic Church Do This?? by OMAR12: 1:03pm On Jul 03, 2016
read about the use of insense in the old tastament. around exodus. it there
Re: Why Do Catholic Church Do This?? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jul 03, 2016
Big4wig:
Was born anglican but my bro in-law happens to be catholic..currently i stay in his place so yea catholic church is a must...I do notice the smoke ish the priest use every mass,asked around & was told it was called Incense...Nairalanders i would love to be enlightened on the purpose of its application but IMO i think its simply an air pollutant...I love the mass & all its music explorations & i still believe we all serve the same God but the use is still a mystery..Any help??

SlyIsaac ur catholic,any help bro?
It's a form of offering. There are African gods whose offerings include incense too. They must have borrowed it from the old testament sacrifices. They offered incense too.
Re: Why Do Catholic Church Do This?? by Big4wig(m): 1:21pm On Jul 03, 2016
kio052001:
incense revokes any evil and prepares the environ for his presence

Christ is present in form of the bread and wine taken at the altar
Making sense but how can smoke revoke evil spirit? I guess its an old doctrine sha
Re: Why Do Catholic Church Do This?? by kio052001(m): 1:26pm On Jul 03, 2016
Big4wig:
Making sense but how can smoke revoke evil spirit? I guess its an old doctrine sha
it does ward off any evil within the environ it's been used
Re: Why Do Catholic Church Do This?? by Big4wig(m): 1:26pm On Jul 03, 2016
Muafrika2:

It's a form of offering. There are African gods whose offerings include incense too. They must have borrowed it from the old testament sacrifices. They offered incense too.
Referring to African gods in-respect to Christianity is simply wrong na..y adopt such practice from lower gods??...tnx buh I don't think ur suggestion is correct tho
Re: Why Do Catholic Church Do This?? by Big4wig(m): 1:35pm On Jul 03, 2016
kio052001:

it does ward off any evil within the environ it's been used
Well i c d purpose but my belief ain't up to dat level wher smoke would ward of evil spirits..sounds weird tho
Re: Why Do Catholic Church Do This?? by OMAR12: 1:41pm On Jul 03, 2016
like I said read exodus, it prepares the sanctuary for Gods presence, from exodus 35 down to the end even in Leviticus when God came down into the tabernacle. incense is very important.
Re: Why Do Catholic Church Do This?? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jul 03, 2016
Big4wig:

SlyIs.aac ur catholic,any help bro?
the incense in itself is a sacrifice..... something only ordained priests are authorised to do.... all great prophets of the bible still went to the temple to be blessed by priests ...... Jesus himself went to the temple.... where incense were burnt by anointed priestsv...... according to the book of judges... cant remember the verse or chapter....." and the smell of the incense was pleasing to God"......

incense have other uses too
cleansing and absolution
keeping demons off ( cele church....soi heard o)

the mass is still the greatest prayer and sacrifice in the whole world cool
Re: Why Do Catholic Church Do This?? by ouigy99(m): 2:10pm On Jul 03, 2016
Big4wig:
Is Christianity a new doctrine?
Re: Why Do Catholic Church Do This?? by Big4wig(m): 2:23pm On Jul 03, 2016
slyIsaac:

the incense in itself is a sacrifice..... something only ordained priests are authorised to do....
I kinda disagree with u here sly,dis incense is also been sold to d common public,my lodge mate always burnt his own early in d morning & i swear it was kinda disturbing...Its totally not possible for smoke to ward off evil spirit if u ask me sha...

& b4 i forget

Hbd sly..may ur kids have rich parents

1 Like

Re: Why Do Catholic Church Do This?? by Big4wig(m): 2:28pm On Jul 03, 2016
ouigy99:

Is Christianity a new doctrine?
i c ur point but all old doctrine shouldnt still tk place after jesus death na..Y don't churches slice goats & ram as burnt offerings again smiley
Re: Why Do Catholic Church Do This?? by Big4wig(m): 2:33pm On Jul 03, 2016
OMAR12:
like I said read exodus, it prepares the sanctuary for Gods presence, from exodus 35 down to the end even in Leviticus when God came down into the tabernacle. incense is very important.
Old testament b4 d death of Christ Y won't d church pray to ward of evil afterall Jesus said ''Anything u bound on earth tru prayer is bound in heaven''
Re: Why Do Catholic Church Do This?? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jul 03, 2016
Big4wig:
I kinda disagree with u here sly,dis incense is also been sold to d common public,my lodge mate always burnt his own early in d morning & i swear it was kinda disturbing...Its totally not possible for smoke to ward off evil spirit if u ask me sha...

& b4 i forget

Hbd sly..may ur kids have rich parents
AMEN.... like i said.... only priests are authorised to do it... on few occassions they bless said incense and sell to the public.......

thanks bro....
Re: Why Do Catholic Church Do This?? by OMAR12: 7:27pm On Jul 03, 2016
Big4wig:
Old testament b4 d death of Christ Y won't d church pray to ward of evil afterall Jesus said ''Anything u bound on earth tru prayer is bound in heaven''
the same Jesus also said he is not here to do away with the law of the old testament. incense is essential the way u lot for new generation church pray was also condemned before hand by Jesus. the proper way to pray to God has been forgotten.

(1) (Reply)

10 Reasons Why I Can Never Be A Muslim / Funny Meme Of Pastor Adeboye from RCCG Trend Online / What Is Godly Sorrow? - Paul Ellis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.