Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

Are They Exempted From Fasting? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Are They Exempted From Fasting? (1359 Views)

Distance To Be Covered In A Journey That Should/will Exempt One From Fasting / What Time Do We Start And End Fasting In Ramadan? / Are They Exempted From Fasting? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are They Exempted From Fasting? by Aremugangan(m): 4:58pm On Sep 07, 2009
Assalam Alaykum ya jamah-l-muslimin.
After the nigeria-tunisia match of sunday, 6th september 2009, i heard the tunis pleaded for a shift in the timing of the match to enable them observe their iftar but they were denied consideration (how true it is; i don't know). Someone around me was of the opinion that since the Qur'am exempted labourers, travellers and others from fasting, they are equally exempted arguing that that is their own way of living and since they play the football professionally, its their job.
I therefore ask, are professional footballers exempted from fasting?
Re: Are They Exempted From Fasting? by Abuzola(m): 5:15pm On Sep 07, 2009
Aremugangan:

Assalam Alaykum ya jamah-l-muslimin.
After the nigeria-tunisia match of sunday, 6th september 2009, i heard the tunis pleaded for a shift in the timing of the match to enable them observe their iftar but they were denied consideration (how true it is; i don't know). Someone around me was of the opinion that since the Qur'am exempted labourers, travellers and others from fasting, they are equally exempted arguing that that is their own way of living and since they play the football professionally, its their job.
I therefore ask, are professional footballers exempted from fasting?

compare

Muwatta malik

Book 18, Number 18.7.23:
Yahya related to me from Malik from Humayd at-Tawil that Anas ibn Malik said, "We once travelled with the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, in Ramadan, and those who were fasting did not find fault with those who were not, and those who were not fasting did not find fault with those who were."

Book 18, Number 18.7.24:
Yahya related to me from Malik from Hisham ibn Urwa from his father that Hamza ibn Amr al-Aslami once said to the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, "Messenger of Allah, I am a man who fasts. Can I fast when travelling?" The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "If you want you can fast, and if you want you can break the fast."

if you notice they aregiven alternative
Re: Are They Exempted From Fasting? by Abuzola(m): 5:20pm On Sep 07, 2009
There is no difficulty in Islam, the Prophet condemn those who are extremist.
if you feel bored with fasting and wish to rest for two days no problem, but mind you the missed fasting can never weigh an atom of the fasting of ramadan, you can see what you have missed.

the players have more right to fast or not and it is all well
Re: Are They Exempted From Fasting? by olabowale(m): 5:28pm On Sep 07, 2009
Wa aleykum salaam wa Rahmatullahi taala wa barackatuhu: Islam is not a religion that people should accomodate into their lives, or livings, wages. Rather it is livings, lives and wages, etc, that should be accomodated into Islam. Allah has presented His Directive, Islam for us to follow, in every which way. All the rulings and laws and commandments are to be followed, as one comes to "know or learn" about it.

If Islam is practised in any which way, as if it is secondary, instead of primary to live and living and wages, then the verses of Quran as to Allah saying which is to mean "And I do not create Jinns and Man, except to worship Me (The Sole Sustainer)", because the next verse talks about Allah providing for everyone, (From the group of Haa Miim Surah; Ghafir (Believer), I think).

A country that is Islamic should protest, long time that any of their national assignment, that will become impossible for people to observe any of the tenets of Islam, should be postponed till after it, Ramadhan in this case, hajj in another, Salaah, yet another! Shall Africa, a continent that has a good muslim population not consider the essense of the muslim participant in continental uniting events?

My proof that job should not be a reason to fast, is that Gazwatul Badr, all its har'b(war), not Jihad (Struggle(s) of al types) was/were in the month of observance of Ramadhan, and the muslim soldiers, all 330 (Same exact numbers as the war that Daud Killed jalut in, the same number that Umar bin Khattab mentioned the moment he became a muslim in Makka) of them! Is soccer, sorry football more important than Ramadhan to the conscience of the individual and indeed the nation? This is why I think muslism need to reassess their commitment and practise of Islam.

Islam is complete and no nation or nations can come to change it. Let us defer to Allah and His messenger (AS), in all our affairs.
Re: Are They Exempted From Fasting? by Aremugangan(m): 5:54pm On Sep 07, 2009
@abuzola and olabowale. Responses appreciated. But sorry, permit me to say i'm still not clear.
Re: Are They Exempted From Fasting? by MrCrackles(m): 5:55pm On Sep 07, 2009
Brashy is exempted from fasting too. . . . cool
Re: Are They Exempted From Fasting? by Aremugangan(m): 5:58pm On Sep 07, 2009
@mrcrackles.
Re: Are They Exempted From Fasting? by MrCrackles(m): 6:04pm On Sep 07, 2009
Aremugangan:

@mrcrackles.
Mr Crackles = Brashy! wink
Re: Are They Exempted From Fasting? by Abuzola(m): 7:11pm On Sep 07, 2009
@olabowale , are you saying that they should fast even though they are having match and they know its menance ?

Aremugangan all am saying is 'no sin if they don't fast, i can decide not to fast tomorrow just to rest'
Re: Are They Exempted From Fasting? by fizzybaba(m): 10:28am On Sep 09, 2009
Aremugangan all am saying is 'no sin if they don't fast, i can decide not to fast tomorrow just to rest'

really?

if you do that delibrately, u will need atonement when u are done 'resting'
Re: Are They Exempted From Fasting? by Aremugangan(m): 4:40pm On Sep 09, 2009
I guess there is something we are missing about this issue of ramadan. Consideer Q2:183. Has ramadan become a "whether i like thing?"
Re: Are They Exempted From Fasting? by Abuzola(m): 7:47pm On Sep 09, 2009
fizzybaba:

really?

if you do that delibrately, u will need atonement when u are done 'resting'

There is no atonement, i was exhausted and i rested, You better don't put burden on your head by misunderstanding what fasting is,

If i di not wake for sahur and i slept with an empty stomach and am very sure the following day if i fast i will nearly die, i am exempted.

[
Aremugangan:

I guess there is something we are missing about this issue of ramadan. Consideer Q2:183. Has ramadan become a "whether i like thing?"

Mr aremu, how do you feel when you run for 10 minutes ? This players are going to run round the field for 90 minutes with eagerness and desperation.

Am not saying if you like you should fast ramadan or not, ramadan fasting is compulsory but if you cannot observe the fast in some portion of the days due to travelling or hygienic related matters pertinent to the moment, you are not forced to fast it and it will even be better if you leave the fast till you are healthy enough or fit to fast
Re: Are They Exempted From Fasting? by Aremugangan(m): 10:03pm On Sep 09, 2009
@abuzola. Ya Akhi, I don't wanna feel like an extrimist nor a fanatic but maybe we should understand Allah(SWT) said it is better for us to fast if we but know. I could remember your thread on this forum where you said for every act of sunnah, there is a reward, laying emphasis on the hadith that iftar should start with a date-palm.
Ramadan, being one of the pillar of islam should not be taken with lackadaisical. Even the prophet never rested during Ramadan. Its like taking a break from solat because you are tired.
I don't want to believe i'm talking with sentiments, hence, i stand to be corrected. But lets know Allah better as we worship him so as to become pious.
I still await responses to my question. Meanwhile, i pray Allah accepts our Ibaadah.(amin).
Re: Are They Exempted From Fasting? by Abuzola(m): 11:00pm On Sep 09, 2009
What do you say to Zakat and Hajj since they are also pillars of Islam, that one must oblige even though he lack the resources ?

For fasting, No fast will be obligatory to those who can't afford to do it.

Simply answer this question for me and apply it to ur question: 'i am a transporter, who drives bus from lagos to kaduna and rest for two days then drive back to lagos, this is what i do every day because is my job, during ramadan i fast and do my job, if you are a traveller you will comprehend my point well, at times dizzyness over take me and my empty stomach send a bad signal to brain which result to vomiting, i also feel too weak and feeble at times during the fasting as if am dying silently, i always know if my day will be good or ill i know it, sir my question is what do i do, should i exempt the fast for a day i know is going to be a bad day for me ? Am suffering alot from it. I need answer
Re: Are They Exempted From Fasting? by Aremugangan(m): 4:45am On Sep 10, 2009
Ya Akhi. "O you who believe! Obey Allah and obey the Messenger (Muhammad SAW), and those of you (Muslims) who are in authority. (And) if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it to Allah and His Messenger (SAW), if you believe in Allah and the last day. That is better and more suitable for final determination". Q4:59.
Zakat and Hajj are under a clause "if you have the means". What means does a footballer lack? Whch is more important to him, the football which he lives in the duniya or the sawm which he meets in the akhirah?
As for the traveller, don't give an undue advantage to what is not. All your facts by me are considerable. But Allah said it is better if you could observe the fast. In a critical situation (i mean beyound scope), you are exempted. All the same, Allahu Allam.
Salam Alaykum.
Re: Are They Exempted From Fasting? by Abuzola(m): 5:26am On Sep 10, 2009
You have not answered my question. Not everybody can fulfil the obligation of zakat and hajj.

I never said you should not fast ramadan, so don't get me wrong.

On a final note, i believe you are arguing to win, if not you gave a question and you are giving the answer.

You have the right to ur opinion and deeds, if you want to go for a journey or not fit to fast for a day you are free to lay bondage on ur head and persist, no one will crucify you. Thats what you believe and thats what you take,. My message to you is you don't need to silently kill yourself in serving God, thats extremism and Prophet muhammad had already stated in my places that Islam is simple except if you are ignorance. Masalam
Re: Are They Exempted From Fasting? by Aremugangan(m): 6:58pm On Sep 13, 2009
Abuzola:

You have not answered my question. Not everybody can fulfil the obligation of zakat and hajj.

I never said you should not fast ramadan, so don't get me wrong.

On a final note, i believe you are arguing to win, if not you gave a question and you are giving the answer.

You have the right to your opinion and deeds, if you want to go for a journey or not fit to fast for a day you are free to lay bondage on your head and persist, no one will crucify you. Thats what you believe and thats what you take,. My message to you is you don't need to silently kill yourself in serving God, thats extremism and Prophet muhammad had already stated in my places that Islam is simple except if you are ignorance. Masalam

me arguing to win Astafirrullahi. Extrimism i'l pardon you with that.
i only asked a question and i was curious about knowing the answer. whichever way the answer is Allahu Allam. may Allah accept our Ibaadah, amin.
Assalam Alaykum.
Re: Are They Exempted From Fasting? by Abuzola(m): 7:03pm On Sep 13, 2009
But i said no and you said yes. Would that be consider as a question ? No

(1) (Reply)

Why Are We Muslims Always Oppressed / Bidha And Sin In Islam / I Need The Contacts Of An Alpha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.