Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,265 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:35 AM

What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! (5773 Views)

6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator / 6 Symptoms Of A Failing Alternator / How To Know If Your Car Alternator Is Failing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by ponpin234(m): 10:37am On Jul 04, 2016
Am new into electrical equipments and my question is

What makes an ALTERNATOR rotate when you Ignite your car??

Is it the car battery that makes it roll (spin)

Is it an electrical motor that makes it rotate when a pulley is connected to the alternator

Thanks all as you drop your contributions

1 Like

Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by Ukeachu1(m): 11:01am On Jul 04, 2016
the crankshaft drives the alternator
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by ponpin234(m): 11:14am On Jul 04, 2016
Ukeachu1:
the crankshaft drives the alternator
owk...tnx alot

Nd is it possible for an alternator to rotate on its own without d crankshaft. Like it will get its power from the battery....is it possible for it to rotate on its own??

Tnx
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by xristos(m): 12:16pm On Jul 04, 2016
Hi guyz, i tot not to open a thread because of this...
I need where to get an ORIGINAL CAR BATTERY in Abuja. pls help
and what is the best brand to buy.
if u sell, call me 08121228827 for immediate buy.
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by Ukeachu1(m): 12:20pm On Jul 04, 2016
ponpin234:
owk...tnx alot

Nd is it possible for an alternator to rotate on its own without d crankshaft. Like it will get its power from the battery....is it possible for it to rotate on its own??

Tnx

no. its not. the alternator charges the battery. so the battery does not supply power to d alternator
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by honmusa(m): 12:32pm On Jul 04, 2016
ponpin234:
Am new into electrical equipments and my question is

What makes an ALTERNATOR rotate when you Ignite your car??

Is it the car battery that makes it roll (spin)

Is it an electrical motor that makes it rotate when a pulley is connected to the alternator

Thanks all as you drop your contributions
Nice observation !
when you start the car,the energy supplied during the power stoke of the engine drives the alternator via the crankshaft .
Kindly note that it is actually the battery power that actually start the whole process during cranking.
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by ponpin234(m): 1:06pm On Jul 04, 2016
Dats great....i reli appreciate you all more your answers..

Wat abw, if i connect a motor nd connect a pulley from the motor to the alternator and to a ba3 since it can help in supplying the energy needed....will the motor b able to make the alternator turn via the pulley...so dat the alternator can spin nd start producing its own energy...

And is it the motor i will connect the ba3 to or the Alternator

Tnk u
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by honmusa(m): 2:57pm On Jul 04, 2016
ponpin234:

Wat abw, if i connect a motor nd connect a pulley from the motor to the alternator and to a ba3 since it can help in supplying the energy needed....will the motor b able to make the alternator turn via the pulley...so dat the alternator can spin nd start producing its own energy...

Tnk u
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by honmusa(m): 3:05pm On Jul 04, 2016
ponpin234:

Tnk u
This is same principle already achieved in Starter-Generator.
The connection follows this sequence:
Key starter--Battery--motor-Alternator--Electricity
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jul 04, 2016
ponpin234:

Tnk u
What exactly are you trying to achieve?
You already have electrical energy from the battery, it is inefficient to use it to run a motor and alternator and then obtain electrical enery back.
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by ZIMDRILL(m): 4:12pm On Jul 04, 2016
an alternator is driven by a belt either direct belt to the crankshaft pulley or via a second belt to that still connect to crankshaft pulley and other part like AC pump or powering steering

when you start the engine the starter, draws enough power to crank the engine and the engine starts (batteries have rating what they called CCA aka COLD CRANK AMPS) generally a discharge of power that a battery can do in cold weather

so the weather and CCA plays a role is starting a car especially in cold seasons

once the car starts the engine is rotating and the belts are now driving or spin water is attached to the belt, waterpump, steering pump, alternator etc, the alternater now start charging the battery, remember the battery lost some few volts when it started the car and also, the battery is now supplying power to all the elcectric while the car is in dle or even driving especially the ignition coils, there are firing while in idle or drive

aslong the car is running the alternator is charging the battery and the alternator is limited to certain volts that it can charge it protects the battery from being over charged, the battery wouldnt last long if over charged all the time

an alternator can nit turn on its own its always driven by a belt

Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by ponpin234(m): 4:21pm On Jul 04, 2016
honmusa:

This is same principle already achieved in Starter-Generator.
The connection follows this sequence:
Key starter--Battery--motor-Alternator--Electricity
so that means, a pulley belt is connected to the motor and alternator... And the ba3 is connected to motor to b able to start the motor

Tnx for ur reply
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by ponpin234(m): 4:24pm On Jul 04, 2016
ZIMDRILL:
an alternator is driven by a belt either direct belt to the crankshaft pulley or via a second belt to that still connect to crankshaft pulley and other part like AC pump or powering steering

when you start the engine the starter, draws enough power to crank the engine and the engine starts (batteries have rating what they called CCA aka COLD CRANK AMPS) generally a discharge of power that a battery can do in cold weather

so the weather and CCA plays a role is starting a car especially in cold seasons

once the car starts the engine is rotating and the belts are now driving or spin water is attached to the belt, waterpump, steering pump, alternator etc, the alternater now start charging the battery, remember the battery lost some few volts when it started the car and also, the battery is now supplying power to all the elcectric while the car is in dle or even driving especially the ignition coils, there are firing while in idle or drive

aslong the car is running the alternator is charging the battery and the alternator is limited to certain volts that it can charge it protects the battery from being over charged, the battery wouldnt last long if over charged all the time

an alternator can nit turn on its own its always driven by a belt
tnx alot forbu
ponpin234:
so that means, a pulley belt is connected to the motor and alternator... And the ba3 is connected to motor to b able to start the motor
Tnx for ur reply
tnx alot for ur reply
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by honmusa(m): 5:01pm On Jul 04, 2016
ponpin234:

Tnx for ur reply
yea but it rather engine not motor.
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by ponpin234(m): 7:04pm On Jul 04, 2016
honmusa:

yea but it rather engine not motor.
owk...tnx alot for ur tym and replies

Wah if we hav a situation where by...we don't hav an engine only a motor, ba3 nd alternator...is it possible to connect the ba3 to the motor and make it spin the alternator or we should connect the ba3 to the alternator

Tnx for ur reply
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by honmusa(m): 7:55pm On Jul 04, 2016
[quote author=ponpin234 post=47206583] owk...tnx alot for ur tym and replies

Wah if we hav a situation where by...we don't hav an engine only a motor, ba3 nd alternator...is it possible to connect the ba3 to the motor and make it spin the alternator or we should connect the ba3 to the alternator

Tnx for ur reply[/quote
If that is what u what to achieve ,it is not feasible..
To drive an inductive load ,a battery is designed to produced a momentarily supply for a brief period of time eg ignition key starter star .u cant use a battery to drive a inductive load ie alternator for a continuous period .
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by ponpin234(m): 8:13pm On Jul 04, 2016
[quote author=honmusa post=47207808][/quote]

Like according to wah i read, dah an alternator will get some power from the ba3 , afta wen it spins enuf to produce its own current, it stops tapping energy from the ba3 nd starts recharging the ba3.....

Tanx alot
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:24pm On Jul 04, 2016
ponpin234:

Tnx for ur reply

what would be the point if the engine is not running ?

but yes a alternator can be made to spin by another motor to generate power

an alternator doesnt need to be connected to a power source for it to spin

are you taking a scenario like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzHYtA5LbAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAZIDFMRXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQiLKdv67FE
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by MrReese: 11:53pm On Jul 04, 2016
ponpin234:

Tnx for ur reply

If I have to guess the reason for your questions, I d say you are looking for a way to charge an inverter battery with an external Charger,is it?
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by ponpin234(m): 7:51am On Jul 05, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

what would be the point if the engine is not running ?

but yes a alternator can be made to spin by another motor to generate power

an alternator doesnt need to be connected to a power source for it to spin

are you taking a scenario like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzHYtA5LbAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAZIDFMRXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQiLKdv67FE

Tnx alot...sumtin relating to that....so that means dah (in the case of the bicycle) an alternator needs sumtin loke a motor to start spinning it first before you can supply your power to the alternator ryt??
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by ponpin234(m): 7:52am On Jul 05, 2016
MrReese:

If I have to guess the reason for your questions, I d say you are looking for a way to charge an inverter battery with an external Charger,is it?
and to power a load
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:54pm On Jul 05, 2016
ponpin234:

Tnx alot...sumtin relating to that....so that means dah (in the case of the bicycle) an alternator needs sumtin loke a motor to start spinning it first before you can supply your power to the alternator ryt??

you dont supply power to alternator it produces power

in a car electric system the alternator is supplied power for 1 reason, to show the battey sign/not charging sign on the dashboard
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by ponpin234(m): 8:05pm On Jul 05, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

you dont supply power to alternator it produces power

in a car electric system the alternator is supplied power for 1 reason, to show the battey sign/not charging sign on the dashboard
so does that mean when the alternator is rotating, it starts producing current for the remaining electrical appliances to use in the car
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:14pm On Jul 05, 2016
ponpin234:
so does that mean when the alternator is rotating, it starts producing current for the remaining electrical appliances to use in the car

yes when the car is running (alternator rotating ) the alternator produces current that is feed to the battery and the battery supplies all electrical componets of the car
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by ponpin234(m): 9:16pm On Jul 05, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

yes when the car is running (alternator rotating ) the alternator produces current that is feed to the battery and the battery supplies all electrical componets of the car
so u mean all the electrical components re using the 14volts ba3.....to power all those things
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:25pm On Jul 05, 2016
ponpin234:
so u mean all the electrical components re using the 14volts ba3.....to power all those things

the battery gets charged at 14 volts and the discharge 12 volts
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by sultaan(m): 1:36am On Jul 06, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

So if your alternator is working right your battery should read about 14 volts running and just over 12 forthwith engine off.

Generating power is supplied from the crankshaft through the serpentine belt
Re: What Makes ALTERNATOR Rotate!!!!! by ponpin234(m): 6:02am On Jul 06, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

tnx.....so dat means all d electrical components of a car use 12volts all in all
sultaan:

So if your alternator is working right your battery should read about 14 volts running and just over 12 forthwith engine off.
Generating power is supplied from the crankshaft through the serpentine belt

(1) (Reply)

Clean Used Toyota Matrix 2006 @ Give Away Price / Honda Accord 07 Vs Honda Civic 07 Review / If You Like Spoilers, You'll Love These! Urrrrrgh!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.