Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,695 members, 7,805,851 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:17 AM

Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? (36539 Views)

Sultan Announces MOON Sighting For Ramadan / Updates on Ramadhaan Crescent (1436ah/2015ce) / MEND Threatens To Bomb Mosques & Assasinate Imams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by Recognise: 10:43pm On Sep 07, 2009
Why does the crescent moon symbol sit on top of mosques?
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by zmurda(m): 11:19pm On Sep 07, 2009
babaearly:

Because their god is an idol called the moon god.

Abuzola is it true that Allah is the moon god?

I don't get what the moon and star is in the mosque, are they worshipped ?
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by Abuzola(m): 11:19pm On Sep 07, 2009
@recognise, the crescent you see was an innovation of later muslim, the early muslim never used the crescent as a symbol, the crescent is a symbol for the muslim to go against the christian cross, we have synogogue that look like mosque and other places of worship, the only way you can recognise it from distant is the crescent, the only way we can disassociate ourselves with the cross is to innovate our symbols such as red crescent contrary to red cross
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by Nobody: 11:59pm On Sep 07, 2009
Abuzola:

@recognise, the crescent you see was an innovation of later muslim, the early muslim never used the crescent as a symbol, the crescent is a symbol for the muslim to go against the christian cross, we have synogogue that look like mosque and other places of worship, the only way you can recognise it from distant is the crescent, the only way we can disassociate ourselves with the cross is to innovate our symbols such as red crescent contrary to red cross

Do we need more proof that islam was merely an invention to antagonise christianity?

Abuzola also shoots himself in the foot . . .

1. Why are mosques DELIBERATELY built to look like synagogues?

2. Synagogues DO NOT HAVE THE SIGN OF THE CROSS . . .

3. you don't need a crescent to differentiate you from christianity IF INDEED ISLAM IS MERELY A RELIGION NOT AN ANTAGONISM TO CHRISTIANITY.
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by Abuzola(m): 12:13am On Sep 08, 2009
I didn't mention antagony, get it straight. I said the crescent is ment to disassociate from the cross and i mention red cross and red crescent. In the middle east and some churches here in africa, churches have minaret similar to that of the muslim. Crescent and star was a later invention as a symbol
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by JaguaNana: 12:41am On Sep 08, 2009
Abuzola:

@ Abuzola,
from your answer above, don't you think that DavidDylan was right in his conclusion that Islam just wants to antagonise Christianity? Your answer above does not satisfy the question posed : Why does the crescent moon sit on top of mosques?

Though you mentioned that it was a later development in Islam, you did not say why they chose a Crescent . A circle, a triangle, a swastika, a turban, a sword, simply anything could have been chosen as a symbol, but a Crescent was chosen. Here we expect any respectable Muslim to give us reasons why a Crescent was chosen as a symbol on Mosques. The symbol of Christianity is the Cross, and any Christian will tell you what the Cross symbolises.

While you are at it, you can go further and let us know about the architecture of mosques and if this form of architecture was strictly religious or not, bearing in mind that some non-religious buildings and non-Islamic buildings in the Middle- East have some similarity with mosques.
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by Nobody: 12:47am On Sep 08, 2009
Abuzola:

I didn't mention antagony, get it straight. I said the crescent is ment to disassociate from the cross and i mention red cross and red crescent. In the middle east and some churches here in africa, churches have minaret similar to that of the muslim. Crescent and star was a later invention as a symbol

you didnt have to mention antagonism . . . it is CLEAR except to the blind that islam is NOTHING but a design to antagonise christianity.

Why was it DESPERATELY IMPORTANT for islam to dissociate itself from the cross? Buddhists didnt need to invent a symbol and even a 2 yr old can tell it is nothing like christianity so your claims dont hold water at all.

Red Crescent is simply another intentional islamic invention to counter the presence of the christian symbol of the Red Cross.

Churches DO NOT have minarets . . . and you still havent told us why mosques were deliberately built to resemble jewish synagogues.

Everything in islam seems to follow the same pitiable pattern . . . mindless and meaningless copying of christian or judaic symbols.

Why cannot a muslim tell us EXACTLY what the crescent and star stand for? Even a muslim understands PERFECTLY what the cross symbolises.
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by olabowale(m): 1:32am On Sep 08, 2009
and there are some jewish sects, that bow and prostrate and have their arms across the chest you will almost believe he is making qunnut prayer. Is Islam against that too, or what about the chrsitians who bow and prostrate?

I prayed in Churches and other civic and community centers before. Christian guests of the prophet (AS)  prayed in the msque in Madina. I can also get materials for you that says early christians even made pligrimage to the kaaba, even with all the idols, before the islam of Muhammad (A)!

How do you slice this one? And finally, not all mpsques carry a Othoman Turks' "Star and Crescent" logo! The most Importants Masajid: Haram in Makka, etc, Al Nawawi in Madina, etc and Al Aqsa in Ilya (Jerusalem) etc, and others around the world, prior to the ascendancy of the Turki Khalifa of Turkey do not carry this logo.
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by olabowale(m): 1:48am On Sep 08, 2009
@JaguaNana and davidylan: Dont get hung up with symbols, which I call logo. Jews have the star of King David, a very late personality if you start from the sons of Jacob, the Children of Israel. Christians have cross, and islam did not have any symbol or logo until Khalifah office was in the hand of the Turks in Turkey!

If symbol or logo was important, it would have been found on masajid haram in Makka, Nawawi in Madina and Aqsa in Ilya (Jerusalem)! Islam does not copy Judaism for anything. Islam does not copy Christianity for anything, either. Islam does not copy anything from anyone. Masajid are supposed to be simple and undistracting, simple structure, except that you now have people who go overboard and simplicity is now relative!

I wonder why david is havinga a tiffy about this, since I have prayed in a former nightclub, bar, etc now masajid, including a Synagogue in Brooklyn that is now a masjid.

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by Nobody: 2:52am On Sep 08, 2009
why do Muslims and Mormons have so much in common?
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by Nobody: 3:34am On Sep 08, 2009
olabowale:

@JaguaNana and davidylan: Dont get hung up with symbols, which I call logo. Jews have the star of King David, a very late personality if you start from the sons of Jacob, the Children of Israel. Christians have cross, and islam did not have any symbol or logo until Khalifah office was in the hand of the Turks in Turkey!

If symbol or logo was important, it would have been found on masajid haram in Makka, Nawawi in Madina and Aqsa in Ilya (Jerusalem)! Islam does not copy Judaism for anything. Islam does not copy Christianity for anything, either. Islam does not copy anything from anyone. Masajid are supposed to be simple and undistracting, simple structure, except that you now have people who go overboard and simplicity is now relative!

I wonder why david is havinga a tiffy about this, since I have prayed in a former nightclub, bar, etc now masajid, including a Synagogue in Brooklyn that is now a masjid.

You deceptive crooks are still avoiding the question. Every logo has an explanation . . . why is the crescent so hard to explain? How did it get there?
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by Abuzola(m): 4:23am On Sep 08, 2009
The crescent was chosen because the Holiest month of Ramadan better than thousand nights is indicated by sighting of the moon likewise end of the month.

The star is used because it a weapon of mass destruction to the devils.

Finally, the Prophet said mosques on earth are viewed in heaven like new crescent and star having a bright color.

Do mosques look like jewish place of worship ? The answer is no and never, maybe you don't know what you are saying.

A mosque has a mat or rug contrary to 2hurch or synogogue. No muslim will enter a mosque with sandal contrary to jews and xtrian. Muslim bow and prostrate in their mosque contrary to jews and xtrian and lot more
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by Nobody: 4:30am On Sep 08, 2009
Abuzola:

The crescent was chosen because the Holiest month of Ramadan better than thousand nights is indicated by sighting of the moon likewise end of the month.

You dont even know the history of how the crescent became an islamic symbol? What a shame and a disgrace you must be to allah . . . go and read the history of the Ottoman empire . . . you might be able to find it there.

Abuzola:

lol this liar is so full of it. If the star is a weapon of mass destruction to devils then with the billions of stars in the galaxy how come we still have devils? grin

Abuzola:

Finally, the Prophet said mosques on earth are viewed in heaven like new crescent and star having a bright color.

Did he say this? Bring your proof.

Abuzola:

A mosque has a mat or rug contrary to 2hurch or synogogue. No muslim will enter a mosque with sandal contrary to jews and xtrian. Muslim bow and prostrate in their mosque contrary to jews and xtrian and lot more

But i thought you said Abraham prayed as a muslim. grin cheesy Confused buffoons.
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by chic2pimp(m): 4:43am On Sep 08, 2009
Abuzola:

. What u wrote made no sense.  May I suggest u cross check your posts before pressing the send button. STAR,DEVIL AND MASS DESTRUCTION in the same sentence  shocked shocked shocked shocked. Na wa for u ooo.
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by Abuzola(m): 4:43am On Sep 08, 2009
You are entitled to your ignorance, i did not say you must believe what i said. You are a christian. If any muslim disagree with one of my point let him talk and show me where he is not satisfy and am ready to support it with hadith. As for david- you have the right to reject my post just like the way you reject Islam. Masalam
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by Nobody: 4:47am On Sep 08, 2009
Abuzola:

You are entitled to your ignorance, i did not say you must believe what i said. You are a christian. If any muslim disagree with one of my point let him talk and show me where he is not satisfy and am ready to support it with hadith. As for david- you have the right to reject my post just like the way you reject Islam. Masalam

stars as a weapon of mass destruction to devils? grin What a tool.

What with all the stars in the sky right now, you'll wonder if there'd be any devils left when allah tosses his muslims in hell ala surah 19:71.
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by chic2pimp(m): 4:53am On Sep 08, 2009
davidylan:

stars as a weapon of mass destruction to devils? grin What a tool.
What with all the stars in the sky right now, you'll wonder if there'd be any devils left when allah tosses his muslims in hell ala surah 19:71.
Hehehehehe grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by Abuzola(m): 5:03am On Sep 08, 2009
Alright let me explain that portion to you: The star is a weapon of mass destruction against the devil, in suratul Rahman Allah dare jinn and man to go beyond the horizon if they dare, and if they tried to cross the horizon the stars will strike them to pieces, up till today no man hath reached the star and come back alive likewise the black jinn known as devils ,

as for the devil, it is only those who tried to go and grasp what the angels are discussing about God's ordainment in the heaven that would be strike, any decent devil who rampage the earth will be in harmony except those who dare God by trying to reach the heaven. Among the jinn there are believers so they know what God has made unlawful to them such as going to heaven.
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by No2Atheism(m): 5:06am On Sep 08, 2009
grin grin grin grin

@topic

Because it was tired, and it need to rest on something and still be able to look up to allah (hence why it is curved upwards looking up to allah)

grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by No2Atheism(m): 5:10am On Sep 08, 2009
@olabowale

Since u are desperately trying to pretend that the moon crescent is not integral to islam (e.g. red crescent instead of red cross etc) , then does that mean that a christian and go ahead and take down the crescents from any mosques that he or she finds it . . . without harm being done to such a christian.

Abeg continue to deceive urself.
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by Abuzola(m): 5:10am On Sep 08, 2009
Up till this moment there are devils who attempt to go to heaven and they are striked with a powerful force, destroyed to pieces, if you are opportuned to witness the destruction of a devil, you will see a glittering posture descending to the ground and disappear. I have witnessed it and some muslim too witnessed it daily. Truely ISLAM is the truth
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by Nobody: 5:18am On Sep 08, 2009
Abuzola:

Alright let me explain that portion to you: The star is a weapon of mass destruction against the devil, in suratul Rahman Allah dare jinn and man to go beyond the horizon if they dare, and if they tried to cross the horizon the stars will strike them to pieces, up till today no man hath reached the star and come back alive likewise the black jinn known as devils ,

as for the devil, it is only those who tried to go and grasp what the angels are discussing about God's ordainment in the heaven that would be strike, any decent devil who rampage the earth will be in harmony except those who dare God by trying to reach the heaven. Among the jinn there are believers so they know what God has made unlawful to them such as going to heaven.

grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Is this guy a 7yr old? Perhaps the reason we havent reached the stars yet is because:

1. They are billions of miles away, it will take engineering genius to get us there.

2. They are as bright as suns, nothing can get there without being burnt off.

How are we able to look stars up in the sky and it hasnt killed off all the devils?
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by Nobody: 5:19am On Sep 08, 2009
Abuzola:

Up till this moment there are devils who attempt to go to heaven and they are striked with a powerful force, destroyed to pieces, if you are opportuned to witness the destruction of a devil, you will see a glittering posture descending to the ground and disappear. I have witnessed it and some muslim too witnessed it daily. Truely ISLAM is the truth

cheesy cheesy cheesy

this almajiri witnessed the death of a devil/spirit? shocked Aliwamudundunlai! I have an island to sell to you.
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by No2Atheism(m): 5:23am On Sep 08, 2009
Abuzola:

Holy flying sphagetti monster . . . what the heck are you talking about . . . shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by Nobody: 5:25am On Sep 08, 2009
I dont blame him, when you're 72 its excused if you see hallucinations.
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by Abuzola(m): 5:30am On Sep 08, 2009
So the star is hot ? Lmao. You are funny, lets assume it to be true, so the hotness burn the devil ? Roflmao.

There is a proverb in hausa that says, 'fruitless, a devil step on fire'.

Incase you do not know: Man was created with mud and jinn including devil is created with fire. Hope you have realize how lost you are.
Goodnite, am going back to bed, see you in the morning
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by Nobody: 5:34am On Sep 08, 2009
Abuzola:

So the star is hot ? Lmao. You are funny, lets assume it to be true, so the hotness burn the devil ? Roflmao.

There is a proverb in hausa that says, 'fruitless, a devil step on fire'.

Incase you do not know: Man was created with mud and jinn including devil is created with fire. Hope you have realize how lost you are.
Goodnite, am going back to bed, see you in the morning

See confusion . . . grin Doesnt even know the coldest stars are about 3000 Kelvin in temperature.

Allah and his bunch of olodos.
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by Abuzola(m): 8:43am On Sep 08, 2009
Thats according to ur science, why do you decide to rubbish the theory of evolution and spontaneous. I thought they are all science. Oh o, now you know. Why would you believe some and reject the unconducive part like the way you treat your bible.
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by Abuzola(m): 9:29am On Sep 08, 2009
Also when we talk of star the sun is also a star so don't get urself confused, the sun is extremely hot contrary to shining stars, and i disagree with you that the shinning star is hot. What do u have to say about the moon that human descended on
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by alimat2(f): 11:08am On Sep 08, 2009
@Topic,

U can clearly see the signs of the living God Muslims are worshipping. u can see the moon and the star as a prove and sign that the GOD of the Muslim is existing. What about the cross hanged on the roof of churches, where is the signs of god of the cross.

It is a very clear sign and evidence that God of Muslims is existing ,where are the signs of the god of the cross in the cloud to prove his existence ?
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by Nezan(m): 11:24am On Sep 08, 2009
@alimat, was that why you people decided to imitate christians by bringing in the crescent and star? Your god is the god of cresent (moon)? is allah the moon god? cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? by alimat2(f): 11:50am On Sep 08, 2009
@nezan, keep ur question till after death then we all shall know who ALLAH is.

See u when we get there.
Just wait dont be in hast to know who ALLAH is since u hav prove to be an ignorant of ALLAH and Islam.

And when it is said to him,"Fear ALLAH", he is led by arrogance to more (crime).So enough for him is hell and worst indeed is that place to rest! Q2 vs206.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Muslims Can Teach Non-Muslims About Islam / Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? / Ogun Prophet & His Sons Convert To Islam, Cut Off Their Dreadlocks (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.