Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,937 members, 7,806,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:35 PM

The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think (33911 Views)

DESOPADEC Workers Strip Unclad To Protest Non-Payment Of Bonuses (Pics) / Kogi: Children Of ‘big Men’ Among 18,471 Ghost Workers‎ – Report / Helmet Colours And Categories Of Workers That Wear Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by YOLO1(m): 10:00am On Jul 05, 2016
joedams:

Yeah, everyone does. But then, there are so many other silent money spinning jobs out there.

Like?
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Izonpikin: 10:01am On Jul 05, 2016
alphamodel1:
You dont ve wat to say, how many Nigerians earns up to 1m a month? Anyone who ends up to a million naira a month and cant plan his life to achieve basics of life without resulting to loan should check hmself well. Life is not how much u earn but how much u plan. So if u see the next oil job, abeg call me,even if its for 6 months
its easy for you to make this comment...jump on an IOC job and face the realities..tell me you wouldn't want to procure that new huyuandai santafe that was recently advertised.... grin

E no easy oo...One has to be careful like you said sha....relatives would beg the hell out of your money...

3 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Mypeople2(m): 10:01am On Jul 05, 2016
OP I agree with your write up but I still need it. Can you compare this kind of job with that of a class room teacher? The difference is seven up. However, one has to learn how to manage money and it starts from the scratch. If you cannot manage a salary of 25k, without borrowing at the end of the month , you cannot manage 2.5m.That is just the truth.

5 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by yetseyi(f): 10:03am On Jul 05, 2016
The writer is right but it applies to those who don't plan well and get carried away by the illusion.

Someone earning big bucks will still be planning to build in lekki still living in a serviced apartment on the island while the 200k per month man has already completed his family home in ojo.

The big boys have a reputation to protect so they buy the bigger cars while the 200k man buys a 1.2 million tokumbo.

I read somewhere on Nl where it was someone was reportedly saying what will he do with 35million severance pay after he was let go.

Its not just oil and gas its any job that you are well paid and it seems a lot of Nigerians have this I must belong/this is what befits my status mentality. Some people have this eat everything and not plan for the future mentality.

You see drivers to big boys investing while some bosses are eating all.

He who fails to plan plans to fail

10 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Izonpikin: 10:03am On Jul 05, 2016
Oil workers who leave in lags dey hear wiiii.... cheesy...bills...house rent..so much to pay for...

Being content and simple eyed is the key....

Good planning is the key. ...ensure other streams for generating monies...business I mean...

2 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Kimikazi2: 10:04am On Jul 05, 2016
See as op dey call millions like thousand. I earn less than 500k per anum and I will gladly trade places with an oil worker.

3 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Izonpikin: 10:04am On Jul 05, 2016
yetseyi:
The writer is right but it applies to those who don't plan well and get carried away by the illusion.

Someone earning big bucks will still be planning to build in lekki still living in a serviced apartment on the island while the 200k per month man has already completed his family home in ojo.

The big boys have a reputation to protect so they buy the bigger cars while the 200k man buys a 1.2 million tokumbo.

I read somewhere on Nl where it was someone was reportedly saying what will he do with 35million severance pay after he was let go.

Its not just oil and gas its any job that you are well paid and it seems a lot of Nigerians have this I must belong/this is what befits my status mentality. Some people have this eat everything and not plan for the future mentality.

You see drivers to big boys investing while some bosses are eating all.

He who fails to plan plans to fail

you too get sense ooo...choI. ...

I will contact you for more advice... cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by CzarChris(m): 10:06am On Jul 05, 2016
I was smiling as I was going through the tread smiley. The best decision I made was leaving a oil industry after 5years of working with a multinational(as a contract staff) I had opportunities of renewing my contract or even being made a full staff when life got a bit tough, but I stood my grounds.

Now... Life keeps getting better and better. grin

2 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by JUBILEE2000: 10:07am On Jul 05, 2016
I beg to disagree with the submissions of the op. By the grace of God I work with one of the multinational oil companies. Life is all about planning. God has helped me achieve more than what she wrote without being indebted to any bank. The pay and allowances are superb and good enough to make u have a decent life. No coop will give u loan at 20% interest.it's way below that. The oil industry remains one of the best places to work in this country at least for now. SHALOM

5 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by athorello(m): 10:07am On Jul 05, 2016
Op did a nice write up about the current realities of oil and gas workers. Thank God I've been opportuned to interact with several of them and wish to be one of them some day. It's not die cast because I'm open to opportunities. Anyway, most responsible companies have come to terms with the these realities and are doing lots of sensitizations and other programs to enhance healthy work life balance, wealth management, etc before and after retirement. I must also point out that living planless and above means is subject to an individual regardless of occupation.
However, the let down for street boys like us is that oil jobs automatically cut your away from a large part of the community, friends and family. Only selected few have an idea of where you work. You'll be living in the most elegant part of the city, attending porsche church parishes, most expensive clubs, rarely visit the village, and so on. The only alternative to remain street is to meticulously hide your identity, no glamorous dressing, Kpako car, no celebrity church, hide the identity of your businesses or locate your investments in a different part of the country or another African country, etc. The only discussion about your job is "Na company work I dey do". Lol. This can continue until you make enough money to float a mega business or go into politics and resign. Who won't like this Lol! kiss I've met these two categories of persons but sadly the vast majority are living the former lifestyle.

3 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by tayejay(m): 10:07am On Jul 05, 2016
[color=#990000][/color]
joedams:
The life we’re made to live, the perception friends and even foes have of us is an illusion, the more you look, the less you see. Those were the words of Rachael Kada as I asked about her job and monthly earnings in one of Nigeria’s foremost multinational Oil and Gas companies.

Irrespective of being a mid-management staff of a renowned multinational Oil and Gas company, Rachael is a restless entrepreneur with 3 flourishing small businesses and intent to invest in more. For what we know or perceive of the average Nigerian oil worker, they are comfortable enough to avoid the headaches of the entrepreneurial life. Depending on the company, average industry salaries starts at $45,000 to $140,000 per annum, this is enough to make them an envy in a country like Nigeria.

For so long, Nigerian Oil and Gas workers have been the uber-loved citizens of any Nigerian community or city, they are our favorite aunty and uncles, the ones whose advice our parents will gladly take at the expense of their own wisdom, their children were a delight to the teachers in school, they are seen as the most enlightened in our villages, benevolent spirits, they paid the fees of most members of their extended family, every one looked up to them for survival and livelihood, they received the most respect, were accorded highest privileges and positions in churches. They were easily accorded the positions of deacon and deaconess in church than other members, donation and fund raising events usually would be put off if they happened to be unavailable. They lived the good life everyone else desired, they are the ones who fly abroad often for vacation, their kids attended the best of schools, when they die, everyone who crossed their path during their lifetime ensures to attend their funeral. Even in death, they enjoyed the privileges of reverence.

Somehow they happened to live longer and healthier than anyone else, they stayed longer on their jobs, some putting in twenty five to thirty years before retiring. Job security is usually guaranteed or so we were made to believe.

Rachael thinks those were the good old days, she says everything we think or know about the current generation of Oil workers is a hoax. “They rather envy you and would love to be in your shoes, hustling with certainty that it’s your money at the end of the day”. She argues that this current crop are not staying longer on their jobs because of Job security but because they are bound by loans that need many years to service, they no longer interact freely or even let you know where they work because they are burdened with outstretched arms asking for support from their salaries. They no longer want to be the benevolent spirits we once knew and here is why:

You get this job, everyone thinks it’s fantastic. It actually is, especially if you look around you and consider the economic situation and unemployment rate but its only fantastic for the first 5 years so you start out, making millions every year, opportunity to travel the world, free food from the office cafeteria. For men; girls following you, for women; men afraid to follow you.

You have this career built up in your head, and you plan on working hard to achieve it, then your family members start making demands, you have social, community and even spiritual demands etc. Cost of living continues to build up (only for you), you get married, have children and need a good car for yourself, wife and a good house that befits your ‘status’ and dreams

Then you notice you cant cough out 15 million to buy a land to build house because even if your salary is N1m per month and allowances are another 6 to 8m annually, you have living expenses and so you don’t have bulk money.

This is the point where cooperatives and banks cash in on you. They tell you to take loans to achieve these dreams, Don’t forget, the guy that married needed to spend at least N5m on the wedding, he needs to set up a business for his wife, have girlfriends with expenses in addition to having a wife.

Back to the issue of housing, you finally get the loan to buy a land and you are under pressure to build. Don’t forget that you also need to rent an apartment, pay for 2 years and furnish. Suddenly, you realize that to buy a car for yourself and your wife plus build up the house, you need a second loan probably more than N15m so you try to get N30m so u can build, furnish and buy cars. Your parents and siblings will possibly be on standby with problems and most times, their problems will eat into these loans or your salary, then you have your church and social commitments always on standby.

At this point you are indebted to a bank and Coop for a total of 50m which will take you at least 5 to 7 years to pay off if you are strict (with an Interest rate of 20%.)

With this, you have a picture of the first 10 years of the life of an oil worker, let’s move on to phase two.

THE POINT OF NO RETURN

Just when you think you are about to rest, you have to make bigger commitments. You may be transferred to another city and may need to get a house there. Some may want to build in the village, others want to invest in properties etc, and so you take the next set of loans… another 8 to 10 years hustle.

After 15 to 20 years, you suddenly realize that you have only been working to pay off loans and live an average life. If you want to travel abroad on vacation, that’s another topic.

You remember that career I told you about? The initial plan?

At this point you realize that the kind of politics you need to play to get it may overwhelm you or even change you to someone else. You may also need to spend some more money and invest a lot of emotions and still will not get there. All these while, you were boxed into a small community, an illusion, thinking you’ve attained elite status, cut off from the reality of the outside world, 20 years after, you realize you will soon retire but then your kids start getting into college so you have to double up, you start getting frustrated.

For most people, it always ends like a sad movie, you turn to look around you and your friends on the outside who hustled for the first 10 years of his or her life can afford to give you a loan, they’re more relevant in their communities than you are, better satisfaction and fulfillment because they are in touch with reality. There is a high probability that we die soon after we retire due to our inability to readjust to a normal life.

This is the life of today’s ‘oil worker’, it’s the reason I’m neck deep in running small businesses aside my job in a multinational.

*Rachael Kada: Real names substituted to conceal her identity.

http://thenerveafrica.com/7491/the-illusion-of-big-pay-nigerian-oil-gas-workers-aint-exactly-what-you-think/

This has nothing to do with the fact that it pays a lot more to work in the oil and gas sectors... the sad ending of some of their workers are self inflicted due to wrong choices made... best still for them, they have near adequate room than most to accommodate errors and still be able to come out strong... not withstanding no amount of resources in the world can amend excessive foolishness. Be wise with your resources little or much.. affect lives positively... be humble... imbibe godly principles...
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by piagetskinner(m): 10:07am On Jul 05, 2016
Abeg leave matter for mathias...I love the illusion it paints...

I'd still go for an oil coy job anyday mehn
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by wristbangle: 10:08am On Jul 05, 2016
OP, I think your article only centres on personal management of wealth not necessary working in an oil/gas company. There are people working in banking, telecommunication and some blue chip companies who spend lavishly more than oil workers.

Agreed, people look up to you as been financially stable enough to put food in their mouth but if you create that avenue for yourself, you will become their father christmas.

Be prudent in spending and curb this luxury life for personal investment/project, etc.

4 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Mypeople2(m): 10:09am On Jul 05, 2016
Izonpikin:
its easy for you to make this comment...jump on an IOC job and face the realities..tell me you wouldn't want to procure that new huyuandai santafe that was recently advertised.... grin

E no easy oo...One has to be careful like you said sha....relatives would beg the hell out of your money...
When they keep on disturbing you, try to establish some of them if not all instead of giving them money in bits.By doing that the burden is now shared amongst you.

1 Like

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by k4kenny(f): 10:09am On Jul 05, 2016
gameboy727:
Well, she couldn't manage. And not everybody may end up that way.

My dear, most of them do. I've come accross a number of them who are neck deep in coop loans. Heard of one who took a 10m loan for his father's burial in d villge. The loans are so accessible and easy that its sometimes irrresistible. I know some sensible ones who took large loans to float their businesses. Some people pay up loans till the day they retire and then, what next.....?

1 Like

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Izonpikin: 10:10am On Jul 05, 2016
Mypeople2:
When they keep on disturbing you, try to establish some of them if not all instead of giving them money in bits.By doing that the burden is now shared amongst you.
my Bro you would just keep establishing..Africa is just messed up...With so much suffering you just end up as father Xmas. ..its pathetic..siblings...parents...relatives...close friends who are really suffering...you go tire pick race

4 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by ucheokpara100(m): 10:14am On Jul 05, 2016
i think we have alot of inexperienced kids here, this is a hard truth i'm a living example in my own little way, op pls dont mind some kids here. the rich are always stressed in the heart from morning till nite no matter what they eat, drink or womanize, alot of them ''rich guys'' wants to be free than live that life.

3 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by aadoiza: 10:21am On Jul 05, 2016
I was actually expecting a practical and empirical explanation, not this theory. illusion my arse.

2 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by YOLO1(m): 10:27am On Jul 05, 2016
Well said but am still very much interested in working in an oil company.

Hello house!!!! Am a graduate of Geology and am in need of an internship or graduate training program in any oil company or related field. Kindly contact if you can be of help.
Thanks
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by YOLO1(m): 10:27am On Jul 05, 2016
Well said but am still very much interested in working in an oil company.

Hello house!!!! Am a graduate of Geology and am in need of an internship or graduate training program in any oil company or related firm. Kindly contact if you can be of help.
Thanks
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by edbor(m): 10:29am On Jul 05, 2016
nnamdiokere45:
pm me
done so. .
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Nobody: 10:31am On Jul 05, 2016
moral of the story : spend wisely and invest.

cos dry season will come regardless of where you work.

it took someone I know a cut in his salary to realise he has to invest and cut down on his spending.

it's really an illusion.

2 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by martoshky(m): 10:36am On Jul 05, 2016
Still, I think its depends on 1's financial intelligence to prosper financially...simple even if its from the pay one can plan and grow
Sha, Mrs anonymous let us know wen there is an intake of graduate in your firm

1 Like

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by ness90(m): 10:47am On Jul 05, 2016
Well, I think the illusion itself is the figure the Op was just dishing out. Na million u dey talk without respect...

I work in d industry and I can confirm to u that for you to start getting 1M per month, u must have worked for like 10 yrs. This is just d case with most other high-paying jobs out there. U know what Managers and above earn in Banks and telecoms..

Before I crossed to the industry abt 3 yrs ago, I used to think that money flows like a river there.. I left my banking job to take up a permanent employment in an oil coy. All na wash, so much hype.. Nothing more. Infact I had a better sense of fulfilment in d bank. I just like d industry because it affords better job security than Banking.

The aspect of becoming father Christmas is unavoidable, u go tire self.. I can't remember when last I lavish 30% of my salary on my family!

In all, it is d best industry to work if u are disciplined. Never leave beyond ur means.. And plan properly.. You must develop the ability to saying no to some ridiculous requests, else.. Monkey go dey work, baboon go dey chop.

Like people have said on this platform, no matter how much u earn as an employee, it is nothing compared to the fulfillment that comes with being an employer. By God's grace, I am getting there.

5 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Bhol28: 10:49am On Jul 05, 2016
Even in the advanced world,UK Etc its not as if u,ll get the whole money in your account but rest of mind,eat what u like and not what u see,loans are meant to make life easy so u,re still fourtunate working in an oil co because u can get loans to do what u want at the end of the day the house or houses u got loan to buy will be ur asset.Still thank God for all this.

2 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by THEREALSEUN: 10:51am On Jul 05, 2016
who forces you to take a loan?

nobody.. this is a delicious illusion that i wiuld take anytime anyday...

1 Like

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Ralphlauren(m): 10:53am On Jul 05, 2016
JUBILEE2000:
I beg to disagree with the submissions of the op. By the grace of God I work with one of the multinational oil companies. Life is all about planning. God has helped me achieve more than what she wrote without being indebted to any bank. The pay and allowances are superb and good enough to make u have a decent life. No coop will give u loan at 20% interest.it's way below that. The oil industry remains one of the best places to work in this country at least for now. SHALOM

anybody that is well acquainted with the oil and gas industry will know that what the poster has written is TOTAL RUBBISH.

i laugh at comments of those that actually believe the nonsense he has written

2 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by uvalued(m): 10:59am On Jul 05, 2016
hmm this is something
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Nobody: 11:00am On Jul 05, 2016
Izonpikin:
Oil workers who leave in lags dey hear wiiii.... cheesy...bills...house rent..so much to pay for...

Being content and simple eyed is the key....

Good planning is the key. ...ensure other streams for generating monies...business I mean...

I have tried going into business partnerships along with my job, but the problem I have is fraudulent partners.

1 Like

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by banmee(m): 11:08am On Jul 05, 2016
eleojo23:
The grass always looks greener on the other side.
Sometimes the reason we struggle with insecurity in our lives is because we compare our behind-the-scenes circumstances with everyone else’s public highlight reel.

Did you read the post at all? All the post describes is a man who does not know how to plan financially. Smh.

1 Like

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by hucienda: 11:14am On Jul 05, 2016
If you work as an employee in IOCs operating in the country like Total, Chevron, ExxonMobil, Shell, Agip not to talk of the relatively comfortable independents springing up here and there, and still come up with this, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Key is financial discipline and prudent planning.

2 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by oyetpel(m): 11:18am On Jul 05, 2016
All of you saying its the op's problem haven't handle or paid a big money before. In your mind as you are right now you think if you can get a N1m per month paying job now, all your problems are solved abi?? i Smh. When you earn big you wanna live large. It's true you can afford petty things alright? But you will want to have class. The fact is not everybody will end up like the op. Everyone wants to live the life of other people, rich people, but do they know what they go through

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Carrying 5 Bags Of Cement On His Head. .. / 7 Ways To Make Money Online Without Being Scammed… / 5 Disadvantages Of Being A Banker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.