Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,897 members, 7,798,991 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:33 PM

20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! (59751 Views)

Simple Cooking Tricks You Should Know / The Wonder Working Cream For All Who Wants Smooth Skin / Some Kitchen Tricks You Might Find Helpful. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by Onyejemechimere(m): 6:15pm On Jul 04, 2016
There are so many kitchen tricks that many of us don’t know about and this list is an eye opener. You’re welcome!!

(1). Mistakenly added too much salt to your food? Just drop in one peeled potato or yam. The potato helps absorb the excess salt.

(2). Angry over cracked boiling eggs? Add a pinch of salt to keep the shells from cracking.

(3). Burned a pot of rice? Place a slice of piece of white bread on top of the rice for 5-10 minutes to draw out the burned flavour. Be careful not to scrape the burned pieces off of the bottom of the pan when serving the rice.

(4). To clean iron cook-ware, avoid using detergents. Alternatively, scrub them with salt and a clean dry paper towel.

(5). When storing empty airtight containers, throw in a pinch of salt to avoid having that damp smell.

(6). When making gravy (stews) and accidentally burn it, turn your mixture it into a fresh pan and continue. Add a pinch of sugar, doing that takes out the burnt taste. P.S watch the quantity of sugar though.

(7). Never put citrus fruits (Oranges, Lemons, limes,etc) or tomatoes in the fridge. The low temperatures degrades the aroma and flavor of these fruits.

(cool. Before you chop fresh red peppers, rub a little bit of vegetable oil into your hands and your skin won’t absorb the spiciness.

(9). If you aren’t sure how fresh your eggs are, place them in about four inches of water. Eggs that stay on the bottom are fresh. If only one end tips up, the egg is less fresh and should be used soon. If it floats, it’s past the fresh stage.

(10). To banish ants from the kitchen, find out where they are coming in and cover the hole with petroleum jelly(Vaseline). Ants won’t trek through the jelly. If they are coming under a door, draw a line on the floor with chalk. The little bugs also won’t cross a line of chalk.

(11). Don’t store your bananas in a bunch or in a fruit bowl with other fruits. Separate your bananas and place each in a different location. Bananas release gases which causes other fruits (including other bananas) to ripen quickly. Separating them will keep them fresh longer.

(12). To keep potatoes from budding in the bag, put an apple in with them.

(13). If you manage to have some leftover wine, cocktail drinks at the end of the evening, freeze it in ice cube trays for easy addition to sauces (white wine works wonders in sauces.)

(14). After boiling pasta or potatoes, cool the water and use it to water your house plants. The water contains nutrients that your plants will love.

(15). When defrosting meat from the freezer, pour some vinegar over it. Not only does it tenderize the meat; it will also bring down the freezing temperature of the meat and cause it to thaw quicker.

(16). Always keep an aloe vera plant in your kitchen. It’s invaluable when you scrape your arm or burn your finger. Just break off a leaf and rub the gel on the injury.

(17). Too much fat or greese in your stew? Drop in an ice cube. The ice attracts the fat, which you can then scoop out. This works wonders.

(18). To reuse cooking oil without tasting whatever was cooked in the oil previously, while heating the oil, drop a small piece of fresh ginger. It absorbs any flavors and odors.

(19). If your milk always goes bad before you can finish it, try adding a pinch of salt to the carton when you first open it. It stays fresh for a few more days.

(20). If two drinking glasses become stuck together after stacking, it’s not impossible to separate them. Just put ice in the inner glass and dunk the outer glass in warm water. The warm glass will expand and the cold glass will contract, making the glasses separate easily.

source: http://otownloaded.com/20-wonder-working-kitchen-tricks-you-never-knew/

cc: MissyB3, tjskii ,Lalasticlala,Ishilove,Obinoscopy,Dominique

286 Likes 56 Shares

Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by kennybelle: 6:22pm On Jul 04, 2016
Amazing and enlightening. Thanks op

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by robinicule(m): 6:34pm On Jul 04, 2016
Wow, Absolutely astonishing.......gotta tell my aunt, nah soso excess salt...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by ucheheart(m): 7:02pm On Jul 04, 2016
Nice

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by baba2nde(m): 7:35pm On Jul 04, 2016
This is beautiful...thanks for sharing this
Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jul 04, 2016
tongue check my signature
Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by schumastic(m): 8:05pm On Jul 04, 2016
how will one keep all of this in the head

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by Shehucom(m): 8:07pm On Jul 04, 2016
schumastic:
how will one keep all of this in the head
just like the page. ..

3 Likes

Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by tnthommie(m): 8:10pm On Jul 04, 2016
Hack my life
Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by Aspireahead(m): 8:11pm On Jul 04, 2016
salt.....saving lives since 1870
Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by iceberryose(m): 8:12pm On Jul 04, 2016
Thank you op
People like us that use to nairaland regularly usually burn food like kilode
My dad wee complain till forever

16 Likes

Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by marshalcarter: 8:12pm On Jul 04, 2016
Ok
Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by Elle277(f): 8:12pm On Jul 04, 2016
Noted..thanks!
Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by Gee001: 8:14pm On Jul 04, 2016
Wonderful tips

1 Like

Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by BerryScott(f): 8:14pm On Jul 04, 2016
cool
Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 04, 2016
Hope them spinsters are reading this. kiss
Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by seyoops4u: 8:15pm On Jul 04, 2016
Note: @2 will only work, if u add salt to the water (for boiling the egg )

3 Likes

Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by diamondx2: 8:17pm On Jul 04, 2016
Interesting
Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by sugardad1(m): 8:17pm On Jul 04, 2016
I don learn something today
Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by Bluezy13(m): 8:18pm On Jul 04, 2016
hmmm Interesting
Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by tizblink: 8:18pm On Jul 04, 2016
Lemme drop potato inside soup because of too much salt ehn?

1 Like

Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jul 04, 2016
Wow, just wow.
Thanks OP
Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by blackbartee(m): 8:20pm On Jul 04, 2016
This will help culinary lovers like me....

Good one OP
Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by DIKEnaWAR: 8:22pm On Jul 04, 2016
This only made me hungrier. I have been observing fast with my Muslim friends.
Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by dayjee: 8:22pm On Jul 04, 2016
WOW cool info...Thanks OP
Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by Benblaq(m): 8:24pm On Jul 04, 2016
And if u use ur last cash to buy food this trying time...nd it burns Dnt cry jst look for a rope nd hang urself*it works wonders

2 Likes

Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by Artistree: 8:27pm On Jul 04, 2016
I tried the potato in over salted food and it was amazing! It reverted to the exact salt level I wanted and the surprising thing is that the potato didn't taste salty after I removed it.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by mrlaw93(m): 8:27pm On Jul 04, 2016
h
Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by Thukzee01(m): 8:27pm On Jul 04, 2016
Thanks op
Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by Taiyescott(m): 8:30pm On Jul 04, 2016
kul, dnt knw hw 2 cuk tho..*covers face*
Re: 20 Wonder-working Kitchen Tricks You Never Knew! by penzino(m): 8:31pm On Jul 04, 2016
Awesome and informative

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Many Plates Would You Eat In This Situation? (pic) / What Is Moi Moi In English? See Funny Replies From Nigeria Entertainners / Can You Eat This? A Nairalander Hunted And Fried Flying Termites (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.