Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,185 members, 7,780,293 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:48 AM

Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad (15866 Views)

Sony Playstation Network Has Been Hacked Finally! / Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains / How To Convert Video And Transfer It To Sony Psp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by saintade01(m): 9:58am On Sep 08, 2009
The Nigerian government has expressed dislike for Sony's new Playstation 3 ad campaign that references the Nigerian letter scam.

Here's the press release made by the Nigerian minister of information and communications, Prof. Dora Akunyili.

PRESS STATEMENT

MALICIOUS ADVERTISEMENT AGAINST THE GOVERNMENT AND PEOPLE OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA BY SONY COROPORATION

The attention of the Federal Government of Nigeria has been drawn to an advertisement by Sony Corporation on the internet which from all indications is designed to portray Nigeria in bad light in an effort for Sony to market her products.

Link to ADVERT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-3uKprF824

1. The advert in question currently circulating on youtube.com and facebook.com and other international websites creates the impression that Nigerians hardly do genuine business. This insinuation is in bad faith and unacceptable.

2. The Government and the good people of Nigeria reject this unwarranted attack on the reputation and image of the country. The government sees this as an attempt by Sony Corporation to undermine Nigeria’s business interest around the world.

3. It is on record that Sony Corporation has operated in Nigeria since the country’s independence and has enjoyed tremendous patronage from Nigerians at home and abroad. Over these years, there is no established record that the company has recorded any major incidence of scam or fraud by Nigerians that warrants its deliberate campaign against the country’s image.

4. While Nigeria accepts or concedes that there are few criminal minded people within her population just like any other country including Japan the home country of Sony Corporation. The Federal Government of Nigeria has as a matter of policy put in place institutions and mechanisms to rid the country of any form of fraudulent practices. Nigeria therefore does not see the basis to single out the country as an example in that infamous advertisement.

5. In the light of the above, the Federal Government of Nigeria requests Sony Corporation to immediately withdraw that advertisement from circulation.

6. Nigeria also demands an unconditional apology from Sony Corporation for this deliberate negative campaign against the country’s image and reputation. The apology must be given the same measure of publicity by Sony Corporation in all channels where the unfortunate adverts were aired.

7. The Federal Government of Nigeria wishes to assure all genuine investors around the world that Nigeria remains a major investment destination and a country where most businesses thrives in trust, good faith, competition, competence and integrity.

PROF. DORA AKUNYILI
HON. MINISTER, INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATIONS
4TH SEPTEMBER, 2009
http://www.fmic.gov.ng/
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by nex(m): 10:15am On Sep 08, 2009
Not good enough! Unless they're still believing that this AD came about by mistake.

First, the Federal Government should cancel the contract for the Refurbishing of NTA OB Vans. Directly or indirectly, this takes millions of dollars off the pocket of Sony.

Secondly, an embargo should be placed on all Sony goods coming into the country.

You don't come at this kind of disrespect with long words.
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by Agbero1: 10:52am On Sep 08, 2009
[size=14pt]Mrs Re-brander that is too light[/size][size=14pt] angry angry angry angry

nex:

Not good enough! Unless they're still believing that this AD came about by mistake.

First, the Federal Government should cancel the contract for the Refurbishing of NTA OB Vans. Directly or indirectly, this takes millions of dollars off the pocket of Sony.

Secondly, an embargo should be placed on all Sony goods coming into the country.

I think this is better wink
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by sweetpain: 11:15am On Sep 08, 2009
This response by Akunyili is purely self serving. It does nothing for the image of Nigeria as a country. You have to be living on mars not to know 419 is Nigeria's export to the world.

A look at the background of Akunyili does not inspire confidence in her sermon. While at Nafdac she legitimized the illegalities of death merchants by liberalizing the issuance of Nafdac certificates and product numbers for their wares.

She created multimillionaires out of fraudsters hawking coloured pure water to the people in the name of magic cure-all medicines. A feat they attempted to duplicate in Ghana when they got kicked out by the Ghanaian Medical Association.

She and her directors attempted to swindle the Nigerian people and govt of billions of naira by presenting proposals aimed at upgrading broadcast equipment for a football youth championship. It was discovered that the SA govt acquired similar  equipment brand new for far less. Her defence was that the proposal was in the offing before she became minister.

I wonder how she became prof while signing multi million naira cheques at Nafdac.

Akunyili instead of constantly trying to find relevance is better off telling the world what she has done to clean up the sleaze and murk she sits on at the information ministry-that is what inspires confidence.
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by allboyz(m): 11:16am On Sep 08, 2009
nex:

SECONDED!!!!
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by Ben13: 11:23am On Sep 08, 2009
yes!! no need of long words.
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by Nobody: 11:27am On Sep 08, 2009
nex:

I somewhat agree with your opinion but i'm also thinking of the importers of Sony branded products who happen to be Nigerians.

Do they go out of pocket because we are trying to teach Sony a lesson?
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by Donvilo(m): 11:29am On Sep 08, 2009
In as much as I do enjoy Sony products, I think what they did isn't right. Mrs. Akunyili needs act more seriously on this matter otherwise the fact will still remain the same. sad
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by shigidi(m): 11:36am On Sep 08, 2009
what is the beef with SONY?? did they lie in any way,shape or form, you talking about banning sony products is really STUPID. cos as far as i am concerned they said the truth
nex:

Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by eunisam: 11:41am On Sep 08, 2009
Who the hell is this sony??

He should be called to book for this action or I will person,

I love 9ja
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by HarryPotter1(m): 11:42am On Sep 08, 2009
what i think lead 2 dis advert at the first place was the "i don care" attitude of the previous govt where anybody can say anything 2 nigeria get away wit it.i think de sony company hve eaten more they can swallow,they should go on air and apologies 2 nigerians 4 dis act.Dr Akunyili kudos,u are really doing a nice work.
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by osbar67: 12:06pm On Sep 08, 2009
"Not good enough! Unless they're still believing that this AD came about by mistake.

You don't come at this kind of disrespect with long words." You have said it all.
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by posakosa(m): 12:09pm On Sep 08, 2009
Why are Nigerians up and arms about this ad. The ad doesn't claim that ALL nigerians are 419 fraudsters, It specifically refers to Nigerian 419 fraudsters.

Aren't there Nigerian fraudsters ? on craigslist ? on ebay ? in Nigeria? in Lagos? in New York ? in London ?

abeegi jo! tell your Nigerian brothers and sisters to stop 419ing people that way they will stop disgracing themselves.

Tell Madam Akinluyi to return all the stolen looth HER and her gang members have taken from the country, anyways, I rest my case.
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by oge4real(f): 12:10pm On Sep 08, 2009
Even if we know that there will be no apology from Sony,it still feels good to know that government did not turn deaf ear to this insult.
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by savesoul(m): 12:12pm On Sep 08, 2009
Apologies must be tendered, imagine that kind insult!
nex:

Yes i Concur!

Stupid white fools, No be their stupidity and greed make dem scammable  angry angry angry  Animals!
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by Kobojunkie: 12:15pm On Sep 08, 2009
savesoul:

Apologies must be tendered, imagine that kind insult!

Yes i Concur!

Stupid white fools, No be their stupidity and greed make dem scammable angry angry angry Animals!

Yes!! If I get scammed by a Nigerian scammer simply while looking for an Apartment on Craigslist, it is as a result of my greed!!! WOOHOO!!! nigeria's image is cured!! Thanks to @savesoul's simple equation there!
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by inspiragh(m): 12:16pm On Sep 08, 2009
Let's not misunderstand sony.There is nothing wrong with sony's ad. It more like sayin as white as snow. Becos we all know dat snow is actually white. They just used nigeria to drive home a point, many countries and even individuals have been mentioned in both ads, music, and videos and they made no noise about. U can relate adolf hitler and germany as bad in lyrics, ads , The german government has better things to do than sign some stupid statement telling a business man to apologise to you and remove an ad he paid millions to produce in circulation. The palestines have been called suicide bombers, china has been labelled as inferior good producers, mexicans and italians has been labelled drug dealers, nigerians scammers on the internet, in ads, music, movies even those from us. Eg: Yahooze, maga don pay and a whole lot of others. Movies from nollywood isn't an exception and nobody has ever made noise about it. Now sony does and some jobless individuals in the name of Fg just found job to do. I love that ad and if sony removes it, I'll put it back online.
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by Kabikala(m): 12:25pm On Sep 08, 2009
Yes o Inspiragh. Tell them abeg.
Even Nkem Owoh (Osuofia) sang "I go chop your dollar". Who die that time?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by posakosa(m): 12:27pm On Sep 08, 2009
inspiragh:

Let's not misunderstand sony.There is nothing wrong with sony's ad. It more like sayin as white as snow. Becos we all know dat snow is actually white. They just used nigeria to drive home a point, many countries and even individuals have been mentioned in both ads, music, and videos and they made no noise about. U can relate adolf hitler and germany as bad in lyrics, ads , The german government has better things to do than sign some stupid statement telling a business man to apologise to you and remove an ad he paid millions to produce in circulation. The palestines have been called suicide bombers, china has been labelled as inferior good producers, mexicans and italians has been labelled drug dealers, nigerians scammers on the internet, in ads, music, movies even those from us. Eg: Yahooze, maga don pay and a whole lot of others. Movies from nollywood isn't an exception and nobody has ever made noise about it. Now sony does and some jobless individuals in the name of Fg just found job to do. I love that ad and if sony removes it, I'll put it back online.

G-BAM grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by posakosa(m): 12:28pm On Sep 08, 2009
I know a couple of Nigerian Scammers myself that this ad readily applies to. angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by Goldmind1(m): 12:33pm On Sep 08, 2009
But is SONY completely wrong? Is Akunyili not beating about the bush. Where your Customs Comptroller general is currently answering a case of certificate forgery in court. It was once the Speaker, today the Custom chief, tomorrow it could be the next president. Is that not corruption in the highest level?
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by savesoul(m): 12:38pm On Sep 08, 2009
Gold-mind:

But is SONY completely wrong? Is Akunyili not beating about the bush. Where your Customs Comptroller general is currently answering a case of certificate forgery in court. It was once the Speaker, today the Custom chief, tomorrow it could be the next president. Is that not corruption in the highest level?

Are u telling me there is no corruption in the US? Did i hear somebody mention MADOFF? That heist alone is a world record!
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by Oluschenco(m): 12:40pm On Sep 08, 2009
Gbam!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by Kobojunkie: 12:40pm On Sep 08, 2009
savesoul:

Are u telling me there is no corruption in the US? Did i hear somebody mention MADOFF? That heist alone is a world record!

What line in her post there do you get the question from? Where is Madoff now? Do you realize that his own children ratted him out when they discovered their father was a fraud? Why does it seem we are good with these circular reasoning that gets us no where fast?
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by savesoul(m): 12:46pm On Sep 08, 2009
Gold-mind:

Is forgery not corruption?
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by Goldmind1(m): 12:46pm On Sep 08, 2009
[quote][/quote]Why are Nigerians up and arms about this ad. The ad doesn't claim that ALL nigerians are 419 fraudsters,  It specifically refers to Nigerian 419 fraudsters.

Aren't there Nigerian fraudsters ? on craigslist ? on ebay ? in Nigeria? in Lagos? in New York ? in London ?

abeegi jo! tell your Nigerian brothers and sisters to stop 419ing people that way they will stop disgracing themselves.

Tell Madam Akinluyi to return all the stolen looth HER and her gang members have taken from the country, anyways, I rest my case.

GBAM!
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by savesoul(m): 12:47pm On Sep 08, 2009
I am not saying we are not corrupt, but for SONY to go to the extent of pointing fingers is unacceptable! Period
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by saintade01(m): 12:48pm On Sep 08, 2009
inspiragh:

And whats your take on Sony itself? should they continue to mar Nigeria image through their ads cos of what we are?  hell NO!
Do you know the gravity of SONY (a company like a god) using that advert with Nigerians being labelled as scammer to the rest of the world? even though they know this already?
May be you should wait and see the adverse effect of this particular one on you personally, dude.
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by savesoul(m): 12:52pm On Sep 08, 2009
saintade01:

And whats your take on Sony itself? should they continue to mar Nigeria image through their ads cos of what we are?  hell NO!
Do you know the gravity of SONY (a company like a god) using that advert with Nigerians being labelled as scammer to the rest of the world? even though they know this already?
May be you should wait and see the adverse effect of this particular one on you personally, dude.

Reasonable post!
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by Sauron1: 12:54pm On Sep 08, 2009
nex:

How can you place an embargo on all Sony products coming into Nigeria?
Are you serious?
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by stagger: 1:01pm On Sep 08, 2009
A bunch of fuckers. Let Nigerians stop patronizing Sony products and let the Nigerian Government place a TOTAL PROHIBITION ON IMPORTATION OF SONY PRODUCTS.

Let us see whether they will not be forced to come and beg for mercy. FUCKERS!

Are the likes of Jeffrey Skilling, Bernie Madoff and co Nigerians?  angry

How dare Sony bites the hands that feed them in Africa!
Re: Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad by savesoul(m): 1:05pm On Sep 08, 2009
~Sauron~:

How can you place an embargo on all Sony products coming into Nigeria?
Are you serious?

See question! shocked grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Different Types Of People You Meet In An Online Video Game / Pes 2017 Official Thread (pc, Ps3 ,ps4,xbox One) / Fifa 20 Ppsspp Iso File – Psp Fifa 20 Free Download 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.