Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,964 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:47 AM

Solar Energy: Uses And Importance - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Solar Energy: Uses And Importance (11638 Views)

Economic Importance Of Snakes / What's The Importance Of Being A Virgin? / Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by cushman(m): 5:17pm On Nov 21, 2005
Can somebody please help me out; i need as much information as possible on Solar energy, why it is in a way unpopular in most places and if it is expensive to manage and maintain.
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by cushman(m): 4:03pm On Nov 29, 2005
Come on people! Any Slight idea will be well respected and appreciated.
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by Seun(m): 7:45pm On Nov 30, 2005
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by cushman(m): 4:46pm On Dec 01, 2005
Thanks!
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by dblock(m): 9:11am On Jan 22, 2006
Here in papua New Guinea there is a solar panel in every house, here its used to heat water fo bathing and is quite easy to harness
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by cushman(m): 9:33am On Jan 22, 2006
Hi dblock, is it the government that provided such facility to households? Is it actually free?
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by freshsmile: 10:53am On Jan 22, 2006
Hi Cushman,
I have solar heating. One panel on the roof of my house for hot water. I am considering putting up 3 more to harness electricity for light. It does cost a little to set up but then you will NEVER have a bill for electriciity or fuel bill again. SO far I have had my solar energy for 4 years. It has required no maintainance. It has been reliable and safe. Unlimited sunlite = unlimited energy. I was thinking yesterday how wonderful it would be to have solar power in Nigeria. It would replace the generators and unreliable electricity. FREE & Sustainable energy source. Maybe in the future solar panels will be cheaper to install. A perfect solution for cooling down houses.
Also check this website for cooler house designs. http://www.greenbuilder.com/sourcebook/PassSolGuide3.html
Or here is a forum on alternative energy . http://www.talkenergy.com/

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by cushman(m): 1:12pm On Jan 22, 2006
It'll really be wonderful to set up solar power in the house. I think i'll start working on setting up one soon.   @freshsmile, thanks alot for your contribution. Your suggestion is important.
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by Mazi(m): 2:02pm On Jan 22, 2006
@freshsmile,

Sometime last year, I got a quote from a solar energy company in Lagos to install a solar water heating system. I know initial costs are high, which the quote was, but the guys could'nt really answer all my questions regarding the product.

My question is what is the average temperature of the water heated by the system?

Do I still need to have an electric water heater to improve on the temperature as some research I have done seem to imply?

Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by Viktor(m): 6:33pm On Jan 22, 2006
if u reside in lagos i got a friend who installs solar panel...So if u areinterested i could hook you up,but i must tell you that its really expensive to put one in your home,but there after it's moderate to maintain. So if you are interested holla 2 moi
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by Ynot(m): 8:06pm On Jan 22, 2006
If it will be of any help, check the http://science.howstuffworks.com/solar-cell.htm site. They have a good article on solar cell and how it works.
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by joftech(m): 8:53pm On Jan 22, 2006
Does anyone know how much it will cost to get a solar panel to power 10 PCs and Laser printer.

Also does it work in the night.
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by freshsmile: 12:59am On Jan 23, 2006
@Mazi.
Solar heating temperature get as hot as normal gas or electric heating systems. if you put a hot and cold tap in you can choose the temperature needed. The electric backup switch is for colder days incase the sun does not shine for 2 days.. but in Nigeria you would not have cold enough days. The system still works on cloudy days and you will have hot water during in the evening.
Mazi:

Do I still need to have an electric water heater to improve on the temperature as some research I have done seem to imply?
A. Only in colder climates.

Joftech. Yes the solar power is harnessed during the day. and u can use it during the night. Im not sure what is on the market as far as small solar powered generators. My dad has a small one on his boat it generates enough power for the lights and TV. and Radio.

Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by Mazi(m): 8:50am On Jan 23, 2006
Thanks Freshsmile,

I'll call the guys to get more info and their latest quote, 'cos I am paying more on my electricity bills!
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by cushman(m): 7:30pm On Jan 23, 2006
@Mr Mazi, truly we can't rely on NEPA electric power alone. We need a substitute, and that's solar power.

I'm sure i'll soon get one fixed.

[size=4pt]By any means necessary.[/size]
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by dblock(m): 8:05am On Jan 27, 2006
Hey, Cushman yes it is free. But If it gets broken you replace it at your own expense ( That happens all the the time in my house-stupid tree)
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by gospelman(m): 7:47pm On Feb 01, 2006
Nice topic guys.I have always said that very soon in this country as folks are building houses,they will be installing solar panels(not NEPA).Just like nobody is calling on the water corporation for water.It's all boreholes almost everywhere.

Please,I will ask that we provide phone numbers or e-mails ads of those who can provide such services: Solar panels and/Inverters.
Please this is urgent cos I am tired of NEPA.I got a genset but i need something else.So please phone numbers or e-mail ads will do.

Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by cushman(m): 7:55pm On Feb 01, 2006
@ gospelman, that's a very good idea you know. It will help those of that are interested in installing a solar panel to get the service nearer to us.
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by Afam(m): 12:00pm On Feb 02, 2006
Interesting topic.

I have been using an inverter in my office on Allen Avenue since February last year and installed one for a client that was spending close to N7,000.00 a day for diesel (because people were simply taking advantage of the guy and he had the cash to spend).

This client had one installed last April and since then has not touched his 15Kva sound proof generator, yet even without Nepa he still enjoys constant electricity for up to 3 days.

See the link below for a complete range of available inverters. They are built here in Nigeria, not imported and have been known to be very reliable.

I am interested in the reliability and functionality, not price because I have heard people say I saw a cheaper one somewhere, to which I always reply "go get that one and leave this one alone".

Like they say - you never get to appreciate a reliable product until you get huge disappointments.

http://www.justwebservices.com/index.php?option=com_phpshop&page=shop.browse&category_id=2aa524612628e82e9c8f61c3bc561266&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by cushman(m): 7:08pm On Feb 11, 2006
Solar Energy Organizations: By Business Category in Full

Sales

Comfort Zone (Nigeria) Ltd
262 Alade Shopping Mall, Allen Avenue, Ikeja-Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
Tel: 2341 497 1744
Fax: 2341 497 1744
E mail: comfzone@hotmail.com
PV power systems, Batteries, Energy efficient lighting
Eauxwell Nigeria Ltd
Plot J, 123, Joel Oqunaike Street G.R.A. Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria
Tel: 234 1 497 68 89
Fax: 234 1 835 432
E mail:
Shell PV products dealer
Even-Ezra Nigeria Ltd
PO Box 513585, Falamo, Lagos, Nigeria
Tel: 234 1 611 916
Fax:
E mail:

PV Systems
KXN Nigeria Ltd
3b Ribadu Road, Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria.
Tel: 2341 2671413
Fax: 2341 4615097
E mail: sales@solarsolve.com

PV Systems

Siemens Ltd. Abuja Area Office
N’djamena Crescent, Wuse II, Abuja, Nigeria
Tel: 234 9 52 361 33
Fax: 234 9 23 427 44
E mail: bwitt@hyperia.com

Shell PV products dealer
Solar Energy Systems and Products Company - SESP
256 Ikorodu Road, PO Box 622, Surulere, Lagos, Nigeria
Tel: 234 1 497 3570
Fax: 234 1 497 3643
E mail: bwitt@hyperia.com

Systems designer, components importer and supplier, energy efficient appliances supplier
Solarmate Engineering Ltd
435-437 Herbert Macaulay Street, PO Box 1654, Yaba, Lagos, Nigeria
Tel: 234 1 774 0887
Fax: 234 1 497 4607
E mail: solarmat@alpha. linkserve.com

Packaged power systems, Inverters
West African Batteries
P.O. Box 2341, 16 Keffi Street S/W Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria
Tel: 234 1 685 095
Fax: 234 1 685 182
E mail:

PV Systems, specializing in lighting

Source: www.solarbuzz.com
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by otokx(m): 11:57am On Mar 22, 2006
this has been a very helpful section.
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by Labelle(f): 5:37pm On Mar 25, 2006
That should do
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by Larufa(m): 6:51pm On Apr 22, 2006
Viktor:

if u reside in lagos i got a friend who installs solar panel, So if u areinterested i could hook you up,but i must tell you that its really expensive to put one in your home,but there after it's moderate to maintain. So if you are interested holla 2 moi

Pls email me his address and GSM Number, I need one for my office.
My email address is onanugaola@yahoo.com
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by dblock(m): 5:28am On Aug 29, 2006
there was a huge solar scheme in sokoto but the development has long since been stuffed up. Solar energy is
the best you get hotter water
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by Afam(m): 4:18pm On Aug 29, 2006
Solar panels aren't the best for power hungry appliances as you will spend a lot of money to get them to run off a solar system.

The best place to begin your journey to energy independence is to do an energy efficiency program first and use a reliable inverter with integrated charger.

Nepa is unreliable no doubt but it can guarantee you uninterruptible power supply when you throw in an inverter.

My office has been using an inverter for about 2 years now and unless something serious happens to the major transformer on Allen Avenue I never get to touch a generator let alone buy fuel/diesel.

I can work for a whole week without generator or nepa because my battery bank is enough to power the appliances that I need.
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by Ashdam(m): 6:04pm On Jul 19, 2007
Ashdam Solar Co. Ltd as a company has been born since the year 2004 but got registered (RC 698203) in 2007, the Founders and Directors of the company are Mr. Adeyemi E. Asaleye and Miss Damilola Fadugba-Alfred both graduates in Physics and Solar Energy from Bowen University, Iwo, Nigeria. Our aim is to introduce Renewable Energy Resources to developing countries to meet up with the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) and our main activities and key products are Solar Energy & Back-up Installation/Maintenance, Solar Energy Research & Development, Energy Management and Consultancy, Design, Construction & Sales of Solar Thermal products, Sales of Solar Energy Installation Materials.
For any further information,
Tel: +234 (0) 803 397 8070, +234 (0) 803 428 4936, +234 (0) 802 718 9340
Email: ashdamsolar@yahoo.com
We look forward to hearing from you.
We are at your service, and give the best.
Thanks
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by tbay: 5:28am On Aug 15, 2007
You know what i think it high time for every hood in this country to hav the skill of solar system may be through forum like this or other method.I think i will go for more search that will be a lot easier.
And any body or organisation that no about this should please place it to this forum a let Nigeria see.I seems we gat resources like sun just burning us up and we under it not even thinking about how to make it part of or daily countributiion instead of waiting for POWER HOLDING with no CN.We need more hands in this man.
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by Ashdam(m): 5:32pm On Aug 15, 2007
@Mazi and Joftech.
Solution to all.

Ashdam Solar Co. ltd can install solar water heating system for you at cheaper rate.
Ashdam Solar Co. Ltd can also install Solar PV / back - up system for you.
if you have any question on solar energy and its installation, you can email: ashdamsolar@yahoo.com
or ashdamsolar@gmail.com
Ashdam Solar Co. Ltd also sells inverters, batteries, charge controllers, battery chargers and converters.

Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by nutyay(m): 11:46am On Aug 19, 2007
I reall dont get d function of an 'inverter'
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by Ashdam(m): 3:25pm On Aug 19, 2007
INVERTER INVERTS/CHANGE THE DIRECT CURRENT (DC) FROM BATTERY OR ANY SOURCE TO ALTERNATING CURRENT (AC) THAT WE CAN USE FOR IN HOMES AND OFFICE. THE POWER FROM PHCN IS AC: 240VOLTS. CAR BATTERY IS DC: 12V OR 24V.
IF YOU STORE POWER IN A BATTERY AND YOU WANT TO USE IT IN YOUR HOUSE TO POWER A TELEVISION OF 240VOLTS, YOU NEED AN INVERTER TO INVERT THE 12V DC TO 240V AC.

Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by Seun(m): 5:48pm On Aug 19, 2007
What about biodiesel production? I'm sure we can find a lot of dung in Nigeria to turn into fuel. Let's try that.
Re: Solar Energy: Uses And Importance by cushman(m): 8:01pm On Sep 13, 2007
Seun:

What about biodiesel production? I'm sure we can find a lot of dung in Nigeria to turn into fuel. Let's try that.

That too, is a good idea! wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Police Force(npf) Ranks / Was The First Man Black Or White? / Funny Pictures Around The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.