Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,432 members, 7,781,264 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:28 AM

A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers (9372 Views)

Femi Aribisala Asks Zahra Buhari A Question Over Aso Rock Clinic Statement / Senator Shehu Sani Has A Question For Secessionists? / Femi Aribisala's Question About The Chibok Girls (See Tweet) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by arterxerxes: 5:29pm On Jul 05, 2016
I have been wondering and I need clarification.
The car I observed President Buhari used in Daura is a similar Car used in Abuja after he got back from Daura. The question now is:
Is it the same Car? Did the driver get to Abuja before Buhari left with His private Jet? Or were they different Cars?

If they are different cars, who owned they one in Daura?

If they are the same car, then how comes it got to Abuja and waiting before the President Entered it?

This is the one he used when he got back from Abuja

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pinanzFQj4M

This is the one he used in Daura

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36WtS0n-6TM

The Price of this Car is $190,275

And What does that Red, White and Black flag signifies?

Please no insults, I just need clarification

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by Samtob90(m): 5:33pm On Jul 05, 2016
They move those car about, I remembered same thing happened in 2011 when GEJ came to launch Ohafia barak in abia state.
And even if, they are govt property, you need not to give yourself headache. Going to youtube to get the price is a frustrated attempt

3 Likes

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by Firmjudge(m): 5:59pm On Jul 05, 2016
Airforce jumbo cargo jet carried it.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by obiageIi(f): 6:10pm On Jul 05, 2016
Op call Naptu2

1 Like

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by Airborne02(m): 6:11pm On Jul 05, 2016
OP.. The Air Force C130-hercules carried it.. .. Even wen GEJ come down to maiduguri d same air craft carried it.. Once president alight frm d car.. Asap its move to d cargo craft which is already on standby. Waiting move.. Very fast thou it seems big.. From katsina to abuja just 50mins plus.. So its possible

8 Likes

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by Azujabeel(m): 6:32pm On Jul 05, 2016
Airforce jets can easily transfer the car, also, it might be possible that the cars are multiple hence it was transferred before the President arrived, or did u think a President will just visit a place without preparations and secret security observations for weeks.

7 Likes

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by hakanai(m): 6:46pm On Jul 05, 2016
As president,I feel he uses a backup vehicle. If you were a security professional it will make sense to ensure the president has a backup vehicle, similar to the one he uses.

I feel they drive or fly one car to the place of visit and have another available to pick him on return. So the one sent can be brought back after he has left. Either by road or air.

About the flag some said it stands for the C-In-C title or something. But it is only used by the president.

5 Likes

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by forghon: 6:48pm On Jul 05, 2016
a times d most visiting states of d president purchase d cars almost every state government get s500 S-guard
Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by clefstone(m): 6:51pm On Jul 05, 2016
That flag looks like ISIS flag

8 Likes

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by naptu2: 7:24pm On Jul 05, 2016
arterxerxes:
I have been wondering and I need clarification.
The car I observed President Buhari used in Daura is a similar Car used in Abuja after he got back from Daura. The question now is:
Is it the same Car? Did the driver get to Abuja before Buhari left with His private Jet? Or were they different Cars?

If they are different cars, who owned they one in Daura?

If they are the same car, then how comes it got to Abuja and waiting before the President Entered it?

This is the one he used when he got back from Abuja

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pinanzFQj4M

This is the one he used in Daura

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36WtS0n-6TM

The Price of this Car is $190,275

And What does that Red, White and Black flag signifies?

Please no insults, I just need clarification

I'm going to answer your question in three parts.

1) Conference Visitors Unit (CVU) and the Presidential Ground Fleet.

The CVU is the government agency that provides logistics for national and international conferences and events like AU and Ecowas summits that are hosted by Nigeria. It was set up in the early 1960s. It has a large fleet of executive cars and it has depots in Lagos, Kaduna, Enugu, etc, in addition to its headquarters in Abuja. President Obasanjo once planned to sell off the depots and cars, but this wasn't done.

The car you saw in Katsina might be from the CVU depot in Kaduna.

2) C130:

Sometimes the president's vehicles are flown in Air Force C130 cargo planes, so it might be the exact same car that took him to the airport in Abuja that he would ride in when he gets to Katsina.

3) The second flag is the Armed Forces flag. It is the flag of the Commander In Chief of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by mrvitalis(m): 7:24pm On Jul 05, 2016
clefstone:
That flag looks like ISIS flag
This is the greatest insult on Nigeria
Nairalanders mods.. This guy deserves a life ban... . For calling the Nigerian presidential flag a terrorist flag.. ..

I swear I would have slapped the hell out of u if u said that in my presence.... Arrant rubbish

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jul 05, 2016
mrvitalis:

Nairalanders mods.. This guy deserves a life ban... . For calling the Nigerian presidential flag a terrorist flag.. ..

I swear I would have slapped the hell out of u if u said that in my presence.... Arrant rubbish
Ihukwa patriotism. Nwokem, go and sit down.undecided

Op, President's official vehicle is often flown that's why there are cargo planes among Presidential air fleet.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by mrvitalis(m): 7:37pm On Jul 05, 2016
SirJeffry:
Ihukwa patriotism. Nwokem, go and sit down.undecided

Op, President's official vehicle is often flown that's why there are cargo planes among Presidential air fleet.
U can dare me
Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by dhuthraki: 7:42pm On Jul 05, 2016
That's not the s600 Maybach. This has been debunked in the past.

4 Likes

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by naptu2: 7:44pm On Jul 05, 2016
One of the car ports at CVU's depot in Ikoyi in 1974. You can see the many identical cars here. In the 1980s this exact same car port was filled with W126 S Class Mercedes Benz. In 1991, some of the 6 door Mercedes Benz W124 cars that President Babangida bought were parked here. When Babangida came to Lagos in 1992, one of the limousines was taken from the depot to Murtala Muhammad Airport for his use. Another identical limo took him from Aso Rock to the airport in Abuja.

There are similar depots in Kaduna and Enugu with identical Mercedes Benz cars.

7 Likes

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by tee10: 8:11pm On Jul 05, 2016
@ Naptu2 great insights!

However is this long fleet of cars not a waste, shouldn't we at least reduce the number

1 Like

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by naptu2: 8:15pm On Jul 05, 2016
The Chief of Air Staff recently visited Bauchi for an event. See how his official car and his outrider's motorcycles were transported to Bauchi and back to Abuja in a C130. The president's vehicles are sometimes transported in the same way.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3632673_bair3_jpeg363f1679799e997b404be2b121e1f509

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3632674_bair1_jpege0a7096ce89b1bfe91c99214135bb384

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3632677_bair2_jpegdc8a732bc25ff01a4f1ae1f2505b86dd

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 05, 2016
naptu2:

The CVU is the government agency that provides logistics for national and international conferences and events like AU and Ecowas summits that are hosted by Nigeria. It was set up in the early 1960s. It has a large fleet of executive cars and it has depots in Lagos, Kaduna, Enugu, etc, in addition to its headquarters in Abuja. President Obasanjo once planned to sell off the depots and cars, but this wasn't done.

2) C130:

Sometimes the president's vehicles are flown in Air Force C130 cargo planes, so it might be the exact same car that took him to the airport in Abuja that he would ride in when he gets to Katsina.

3) The second flag is the Armed Forces flag. It is the flag of the Commander In Chief of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

I refer to response 3. Where is APC flag?

Does it imply that the party's symbol is no where the seat of power?
Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jul 05, 2016
Not the s600 Maybach..its the vary same car GEJ used.
Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by naptu2: 8:22pm On Jul 05, 2016
Keneking:

I refer to response 3. Where is APC flag?

Does it imply that the party's symbol is no where the seat of power?

I think it's actually quite wrong to fly a party flag on a government vehicle or building that's paid for with tax payer's money. Those tax payers support various political parties (some don't even support any political party). Some governors do it, but I think it's wrong.

It should be the national flag and the state flag on a governor's car and the national flag and the armed forces flag on the president's car.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jul 05, 2016
naptu2:

I think it's actually quite wrong to fly a party flag on a government vehicle or building that's paid for with tax payer's money. Those tax payers support various political parties (some don't even support any political party). Some governors do it, but I think it's wrong.

It should be the national flag and the state flag on a governor's car and the national flag and the armed forces flag on the president's car.

You can not do away with the platform that brought you to power or leadership position.

You have the coat of arm mounted on the plate no board, the right hand of the front bonnet - Nigeria flag and the left hand side of the front bonnet should be the party's flag.

What does the armed forces flag represent? Who the flag EPP sef? Afterall, there is a backup of the forces in the convoy with various insignias.

1 Like

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by naptu2: 8:37pm On Jul 05, 2016
Keneking:

You can not do away with the platform that brought you to power or leadership position.

You have the coat of arm mounted on the plate no board, the right hand of the front bonnet - Nigeria flag and the left hand side of the front bonnet should be the party's flag.

What does the armed forces flag represent? Who the flag EPP sef? Afterall, there is a backup of the forces in the convoy with various insignias.

Once the President is elected, he becomes the president of all nigerians, not just the president of a political party. The vehicles are bought with taxpayer's funds, not private or political party fund. Therefore, the political party's flag should not be flown on them.

In the UK, the Labour Party had to hire an armoured Daimler for Tony Blair, so that he would not campaign in the government owned Jaguar.

In the US, Al Gore got into trouble because he used a White House phone to make a campaign call.

In Nigeria, President Obasanjo pledged that he would not attend to political party issues during office hours.

There is a difference between the political party and the government. That's why it's not acceptable to use government funds for political party campaigns. It should also be illegal to use government property for political campaigns, eg flying party flags on government property.

The president is the Commander In Chief Of The Armed Forces of the. Federal Republic Of Nigeria and he should therefore fly the Commander In Chief's flag.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jul 05, 2016
mrvitalis:

U can dare me
Dare you, you say? E si be gi eje be onye? I tara ji ego ole? Nwokem, were azu oche.undecided

5 Likes

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jul 05, 2016
naptu2:

Once the President is elected, he becomes the president of all nigerians, not just the president of a political party. The vehicles are bought with taxpayer's funds, not private or political party fund. Therefore, the political party's flag should not be flown on them.

In the UK, the Labour Party had to hire an armoured Daimler for Tony Blair, so that he would not campaign in the government owned Jaguar.

In the US, Al Gore got into trouble because he used a White House phone to make a campaign call.

In Nigeria, President Obasanjo pledged that he would not attend to political party issues during office hours.

There is a difference between the political party and the government. That's why it's not acceptable to use government funds for political party campaigns. It should also be illegal to use government property for political campaigns, eg flying party flags on government property.

I get your point. The armed forces flag is useless at the point it is mounted on the official car of a civilian President because the agency which it evokes, is that of dictatorship not democracy.

My submission is that a party's flag (whether APC or PDP or HOPE or whatever) attached to an official car of the President is a marker of the place of democratic leadership in the country. Seeing it stand side-side the national flag would no doubt inspire more confidence in the democratic practise of the country.

1 Like

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by hardbody: 8:50pm On Jul 05, 2016
forghon:
a times d most visiting states of d president purchase d cars almost every state government get s500 S-guard

My chairman drives a maybach. His own was designed specifically for him and MB requested to showcase it for about one month before delivering it.

But my chairman's own doesn't look like this ooo

It has a totally different design

1 Like

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by naptu2: 8:59pm On Jul 05, 2016
Keneking:

I get your point. The armed forces flag is useless at the point it is mounted on the official car of a civilian President because the agency which it evokes, is that of dictatorship not democracy.

My submission is that a party's flag (whether APC or PDP or HOPE or whatever) attached to an official car of the President is a marker of the place of democratic leadership in the country. Seeing it stand side-side the national flag would no doubt inspire more confidence in the democratic practise of the country.

How many heads of state have you seen flying their party's flag on their official (government owned) vehicle? They usually fly the national flag and the flag that's attached to their individual position (presidential flag, commander in chief's flag, etc).

Below is the US presidential limousine. You can see the presidential flag on the left of the car and the national flag on the right. Note that there is no Democratic Party flag on the car.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by tee10: 9:02pm On Jul 05, 2016
Keneking:

You are flat out wrong.

The Nigerian president is also the C-in-C, ie commander in chief of the Armed forces, just like the United states president

That means he give d final word on combat and operations of the armed forces hence the armed forces flag

Putting a political party flag on a pubic property is wrong and shows narrow partisan thinking

9 Likes

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by naptu2: 9:59pm On Jul 05, 2016
tee10:
@ Naptu2 great insights!

However is this long fleet of cars not a waste, shouldn't we at least reduce the number

People have been asking that question for as long as I can remember.

President Shagari bought a heck of a lot of black W126 S Class Benz for CVU in the early 1980s (they replaced the green W116 that were used by the military). He also bought a stretch W123 for the ground fleet. The W126 was nicknamed "Shagari Benz" by nigerians. People severely criticised Shagari because of the number of luxury cars in the CVU fleet. It was one of the reasons why he was hated by many nigerians.

Buhari and Babangida cut back on such luxuries when they came to power, but Babangida soon started spending like crazy. Nigeria hosted the OAU summit in 1991 and Babangida bought several (some say 25, some say 50) stretch W124 Mercedes Benz limousines to convey the heads of state that attended the summit. Some of the limousines were kept at the CVU depots in Lagos, Enugu and Kaduna after the summit. Babangida was also severely criticised for buying those cars.

Obasanjo felt that CVU was an unnecessary waste of resources, so he decided to sell the depots in Enugu and Kaduna and all the cars in Lagos, Enugu and Kaduna, but Yar'Adua reversed Obasanjo's directives.

President Jonathan planned to buy new Mercedes Benz S600 Maybach (W222) for the ground fleet (in Abuja) and BMW cars for CVU, but President Buhari reversed the plan. He said that there was no need to buy any new cars.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by clefstone(m): 10:02pm On Jul 05, 2016
mrvitalis:

zombie
Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by arterxerxes: 10:09pm On Jul 05, 2016
naptu2:

2) C130:

Nice answer. You too much

1 Like

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by mrvitalis(m): 10:11pm On Jul 05, 2016
clefstone:
zombie
Nigeria is my country and I pledge to obey and honour her with all my strength

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question About President Buhari's Mercedes-maybach S600 That Needs Answers by arterxerxes: 10:14pm On Jul 05, 2016
naptu2:
One of the car ports at CVU's depot in Ikoyi in 1974. You can see the many identical cars here. In the 1980s this exact same car port was filled with W126 S Class Mercedes Benz. In 1991, some of the 6 door Mercedes Benz W124 cars that President Babangida bought were parked here. When Babangida came to Lagos in 1992, one of the limousines was taken from the depot to Murtala Muhammad Airport for his use. Another identical limo took him from Aso Rock to the airport in Abuja.

There are similar depots in Kaduna and Enugu with identical Mercedes Benz cars.

So you are the Naptu2 that Obiageli said I should call. You are so vast in this from your comments. Great one. You should join the Airforce

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

N10bn Libel Suit: Ortom Seeks Definite Hearing Against Oshiomhole / Why FG Can’t Remove Fuel Subsidy Now – NNPC, Marketers, Experts / Nasarawa Governor’s Impeachment: Chief Judge Inaugurates Probe Panel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.