Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,957 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:15 AM

How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise (43022 Views)

Mike Adenuga: "How I Started My Business Empire By Selling Car Stereos In 1974" / ”I Started My Business With N5,000, I Now Have 5 Bedroom Mansion In Lagos"- Lady / "2 Years Ago I Started My Business With N30K But Now.."Nigerian Man Reveals.PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Nobody: 11:30am On Mar 11, 2017
grin
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Nnemuka(f): 11:31am On Mar 11, 2017
Ibime:
He's just like me, a Maths with Econs graduate who enjoys cooking.

But I'm a bit disappointed with the interview. No numbers or statistics were given to quantify his growth or whether the catering business is more profitable than the bank job etc. Infact, going by the tone of the interview, it seems he is yet to find his feet in the new business.
haba oga
You of all ppl should know that catering business is more profitable than bank job nah...
Imagine having a daily profit of 15,000. that is 450k in 30days. which can bank job pays up to that amount?
Its not always about the money sha, but joy derived from earning money doing what you enjoy.
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by willibounce1(m): 11:32am On Mar 11, 2017
There so much joy and fulfilment when you do your own business especially if it's something you have passion for.
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by ameh99: 11:32am On Mar 11, 2017
Very good move....nothing gives you joy like doing what you love...

your thread really motivate me.....

looking forward to quite my job too...am starting a fashion design training
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by HARDDON: 11:33am On Mar 11, 2017
Thatz the lil tin wit what u r fashioned for!

Itz like people queue up to pay u catching ur groove!
Efortless!
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Nobody: 11:33am On Mar 11, 2017
Philpham:
I hate it when men do women's job, they are never good at it. Imagine a man doing catering, na waa. That's low. He should man up.
It's obvious u need to be taught.
The only Job a woman owns prerogatively is "getting PREGNANT"
That's the only job of a woman, a man can't do.

Every other thing can be done by both parties

2 Likes

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by bsideboii(m): 11:33am On Mar 11, 2017
I see it totally wrong to say you DUMPED your banking job...A sector that gave you a shot at having a career.I'm very sure its the savings from the banking job that you were able to start your so called catering business..Ish.Congrats tho!!

1 Like

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Nnemuka(f): 11:34am On Mar 11, 2017
Philpham:
I hate it when men do women's job, they are never good at it. Imagine a man doing catering, na waa. That's low. He should man up.
People like you will remain failures in life, how can you make such statement?
Who made cooking a woman's job? Cant you be sensible for once?

1 Like

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Ibime(m): 11:36am On Mar 11, 2017
Nnemuka:

haba oga
You of all ppl should know that catering business is more profitable than bank job nah...
Imagine having a daily profit of 15,000. that is 450k in 30days. which can bank job pays up to that amount?
Its not always about the money sha, but joy derived from earning money doing what you enjoy.

That may be so but he also mentioned that he was struggling to afford catering equipment.

The whole article needs a bit more substance ie whether he only caters events or does he have a restaurant, how many employees, Turnover etc so we will be able to assess properly.

1 Like

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Nobody: 11:39am On Mar 11, 2017
Nnemuka:

Show me you bank account and I ll show u my Dom account and you can shut ur stinking oral cavity. I am very successful and I don't go about doing women's job. Like I said he should man up and do a mans job, not running around around carrying knife and spoon and washing kitchen pots, tsk.

Banking no gree am na to cook egusi soup im go do well, na lie.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Realdeals(m): 11:39am On Mar 11, 2017
I’m the more skilled person, I like to work with my hands. It would be easier for me to start up something…
Sorry this part caught my attention! What has he been working with while at the bank? grin
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Nobody: 11:41am On Mar 11, 2017
EVILFOREST:

It's obvious u need to be taught.
The only Job a woman owns prerogatively is "getting PREGNANT"
That's the only job of a woman, a man can't do.

Every other thing can be done by both parties

It obvious u are very outdated with ur knowledge, FYI , men now get pregnant. Please use google search to update you antiquated knowledge before u come here talking poo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Nobody: 11:41am On Mar 11, 2017
DollarAngel:
I tap into your Blessings, God answer my call too
yea? siddon there dey tap and wait for God instead of starting akara frying business. grin abeg you fit give me God phone number? me too wan call am smiley

1 Like

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Kennyodinye(m): 11:42am On Mar 11, 2017
dotcomnamename:
I am just shaking my head for the mods of this section. This is the type of thread that deserve front page that can encourage young nigerians that are still waiting for office jobs. But if the topic was about Davido invest 2 million dollars in a lady's bra, Don jazzy buy £1 wrist watch, Kenya couple glue together while doing it, Hyip scams, D'banj sign Tonto dike, 20million naira fell from tree and more useless topics, you'll see them all in front page. If you tell them the truth they will want to show they're on top of the world because they're mods, they will ban you or warn you. Only few mods are reasonable with wisdom. I just hope Seun will look into this. Smh.
No be Traffic dem dey find
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by sweetkev(m): 11:45am On Mar 11, 2017
dotcomnamename:
I am just shaking my head for the mods of this section. This is the type of thread that deserve front page that can encourage young nigerians that are still waiting for office jobs. But if the topic was about Davido invest 2 million dollars in a lady's bra, Don jazzy buy £1 wrist watch, Kenya couple glue together while doing it, Hyip scams, D'banj sign Tonto dike, 20million naira fell from tree and more useless topics, you'll see them all in front page. If you tell them the truth they will want to show they're on top of the world because they're mods, they will ban you or warn you. Only few mods are reasonable with wisdom. I just hope Seun will look into this. Smh.
. You are even lucky you are not banned for this your comment. smiley

1 Like

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Nobody: 11:46am On Mar 11, 2017
Philpham:

It obvious u are very outdated with ur knowledge, FYI , men now get pregnant. Please use google search to update you antiquated knowledge before u come here talking poo.
eerrr.. I hope you are joking with your assertions that man can get prenant embarassed and oh! don't tell me to google it please!
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by enitanpopoola(m): 11:46am On Mar 11, 2017
dotcomnamename:

I don't usually make comments on nairaland, talk more of quoting people's comment but I must admit that this is one of the reasonable comment someone made on this forum in a while. This is the type of topic that should be making headlines. Seun, please talk to your moderators.

Best regards.

2 Likes

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Diplomaticbeing(m): 11:50am On Mar 11, 2017
Realdeals:

Sorry this part caught my attention! What has he been working with while at the bank? grin

Obviously words failed him. Well, he was trying to say that he preferred/is more inclined to physical work than mental work.

Actually, I've come to understand that most formally tertiary educated people lack in-depth knowledge (especially outside their areas of studies) compared to their informally well educated counterparts. Without taking anything away from this guy in question, I stand bold to say that he ventured into catering business mainly because he doesn't have knowledge about any goldmine but hidden mental businesses - citing the other business options he listed and jettison for catering.

All an average person knows about business is all the common businesses. To be different is to be uncommon.
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by DonX001: 11:50am On Mar 11, 2017
Philpham:

Its obvious you're still a kid or maybe, ignorant in that aspect.
Most of the world's top chefs in the world's biggest hotels and restaurants are men, and most of the globally respected chefs are men.
Google it, and you'll find out. Even on TV, most of the shows about top chefs globally feature men.

1 Like

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Toks2008(m): 11:50am On Mar 11, 2017
It's all about passion...but pride has killed many of our graduates.

2 Likes

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Toks2008(m): 11:52am On Mar 11, 2017
Philpham:

Must you comment?

3 Likes

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by spanzed(m): 11:52am On Mar 11, 2017
That's why I keep telling anybody that cares to listen school is over rated find a trade and get involved...

For your popcorn in Ilorin....holla me up .

3 Likes

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Nobody: 11:54am On Mar 11, 2017
Nnemuka:

hmmm
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by marylandcakes: 11:55am On Mar 11, 2017
Philpham:

FYI those men that got pregnant used to be women.
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by WoodcrestMayor(m): 12:15pm On Mar 11, 2017
U just gave yourself away.

If u a banker, I know the bank you work with grin
SuperBlack:
Weldon Boss. I hope you were not among the axed Bank Drivers.
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Arielle: 12:17pm On Mar 11, 2017
Ibime:

But I'm a bit disappointed with the interview. No numbers or statistics were given to quantify his growth or whether the catering business is more profitable than the bank job etc. Infact, going by the tone of the interview, it seems he is yet to find his feet in the new business.

There's a second part of the interview. Maybe that will be addressed there.
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Sikay19(m): 12:19pm On Mar 11, 2017
kinibigdeal:
Meaning he dumped his degree for trade....
You have anything against that
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by ephi123(f): 12:23pm On Mar 11, 2017
One of the things I work on, which we don’t do often in Nigeria is this: everybody cooks, some people cook better than I do, frankly. What a lot of caterers lack is timeliness and service. Those are the key areas I work on seriously.

Timeliness in the sense that my clients don’t get to the venue before me. It never happens. I don’t like it when people call me on the phone to know where I am. If you tell me 12, I want to be there 11. I never disappoint my clients because of time.

Service in the sense that we don’t rush. We don’t serve people food with dirty or oily plates and say people are rushing. We don’t rush. We must take our time and clean the plates. Even if heaven is falling on top of earth, we serve people with dignity. We dignify service. You are not serving dogs. But in Nigeria, most people don’t care. They eat anything and say it doesn’t matter. It matters a lot to me. When I get to a venue, I dictate the pace of my service. I tell my clients these things. I take time to explain to them and they are happier after the events.

This got my attention. In Nigeria where African time and not so good customer service is the norm with a lot of caterers, this is definitely a big selling point.
Very inspiring story, he took action and followed his dreams. Kudos

3 Likes

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Nobody: 12:26pm On Mar 11, 2017
People praising him already, he hasn't even established his own restaurant, he's still thinking whether to go into food or pastries.

When he's established, Let's have this convo again, shall we?
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by ephi123(f): 12:28pm On Mar 11, 2017
Philpham:

Show me you bank account and I ll show u my Dom account and you can shut ur stinking oral cavity. I am very successful and I don't go about doing women's job. Like I said he should man up and do a mans job, not running around around carrying knife and spoon and washing kitchen pots, tsk.

Banking no gree am na to cook egusi soup im go do well, na lie.

Na wa o.
First, success is not only about money.
Second people who shout I'm successful, I'm comfortable, I'm xyz etc are usually not, at least not to the extent they think they are.

What is wrong with a man having a catering career? Are we still in the Stone Age?

2 Likes

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by ephi123(f): 12:30pm On Mar 11, 2017
Ioannes:
People praising him already, he hasn't even established his own restaurant, he's still thinking whether to go into food or pastries.

When he's established, Let's have this convo again, shall we?

He is a caterer, he provides services. He doesn't need to establish a restaurant because he is a caterer, they are two separate things imho.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Nobody: 12:32pm On Mar 11, 2017
Ibime:

I conducted the interview. Not everyone is comfortable sharing their stats especially online. But the guy is doing very well for himself and he's down to earth.

If you find something to do, do it with all your might

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Aliko Dangote Opens Africa Centre In US (Photos) / Meet Quincy Nippon Who Celebrated His Birthday With Cake Decorated With Dollars / List Of Microfinance Banks That Give Loans.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.