Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,956 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:55 PM

Dangers Of Obesity. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dangers Of Obesity. (470 Views)

Dangers Of Excessive Smoking, A Victim You Should See / Dangers Of Drinking Cold Water [ MUST READ] / Graphics: The Effect Of Obesity And Overweight On The Body. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangers Of Obesity. by DrAbbey1(m): 6:33pm On Jul 06, 2016
Obesity is on the rise in Africa. It is commonly associated with affluence in Nigeria. Obesity is a serious health concern as it affects an individual's BIO PSYCHO SOCIAL profile.
I want to elucidate the BIOLOGICAL component today i.e how obesity affects health.
It predisposes to
1. Diabetes Mellitus (type 2)
2. Systemic Hypertension
3. Some cancers e.g breast cancer and colon cancer
4. Gallstones
5. OsteoArthritis
6. Stroke.
I am Doctor Bee and I will be back for more updates.
Re: Dangers Of Obesity. by Zeiya(f): 7:42pm On Jul 06, 2016
Good to know
Re: Dangers Of Obesity. by DrAbbey1(m): 9:21pm On Jul 06, 2016
Thanks Zeiya.
The next component is the PSCHOLOGICAL component.
1. Low self esteem: obese people often feel inferior to others. They feel they are not attractive. They think people don't want to associate with them. They may not exude confidence in their interaction with others and are thus prone to manipulation and pressure.
2. Depression : when there is a continuous feeling of low self esteem, there is a feeling of worthlessness and hopelessness. Thus depression sets in especially with ladies or women.
3. Suicide : when depression continues for a long time an obese person may begin to have suicidal ideas. And if unchecked can lead to bodily harm or eventual suicide.
Re: Dangers Of Obesity. by DrAbbey1(m): 9:40pm On Jul 06, 2016
Now to the SOCIAL component
The mass media is awash with adverts displaying slim women in bikini smiling and enjoying life. There are beauty pageants held world over with emphasis on slim people. Everywhere you go, obese people are relegated in the social scene. They are seen as outcasts and unhealthy people.
The obese people thus feel stigmatized and suffer all complications that result from it. So they lose job opportunities and friends and are called all manner of unprintable names.

(1) (Reply)

Ebonyi Tops In Vvf Cases / These Types Of Soaps Might Be Affecting Your Erection / Pimples Threat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.