Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:33 PM

Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. (9998 Views)

For The Bikers - When You Suddenly Realize You're Following Too Closely / Which Trasmission Oil Is Best For A Honda Accord 2000 Model? / Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by lordpapi(m): 8:11pm On Jul 06, 2016
Dear auto gurus of nairaland, I need urgent possible explanation and solution to a transmission problem with my 2005 rx330.
I took the car to an auto mechanic to replace the drive shaft( the inner cup and bearing to be precise), driver side shaft oil seal and also to replace all the brake pads, shocks, ball joint, linkages, camber, engine seatings etc. Car drove well after all the repair but suddenly developed fault after about 3 miles distance drive.
the gear will disengage at will and wont accelerate even when it manages to engage. so I had to manage and take the car back to the auto workshop where it was diagnosed and a P0746 code(- Pressure Control Solenoid A Performance or Stuck Off) was discovered as the reason the car had the problem.

my question now I;
1- what could possible cause this sudden problem to the gear box?
2- could it be that the shaft replacement could trigger a damage to the gear box( - Pressure Control Solenoid A Performance or Stuck Off)?
3- what ways can this issue be resolved?

am not happy about this cos a lot have been spent already. pls, I need your advice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by mayor2013: 8:25pm On Jul 06, 2016
You are not far fetched from getting another transmission. Price is 400k. Your kazeem screwed up things. Before that job was done he should have allowed the car's transmission cool down properly. In my own case I would do that job the next day. Dont forget in the process of pulling out the cv joint. A bit of Transmission oil would be lost (might not be the case for all cars). that process is hazardous to toyota and lexus. Am afraid that's the only way out now embarassed

4 Likes

Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:35pm On Jul 06, 2016
lordpapi:
Dear auto gurus of nairaland, I need urgent possible explanation and solution to a transmission problem with my 2005 rx330.
I took the car to an auto mechanic to replace the drive shaft( the inner cup and bearing to be precise), driver side shaft oil seal and also to replace all the brake pads, shocks, ball joint, linkages, camber, engine seatings etc. Car drove well after all the repair but suddenly developed fault after about 3 miles distance drive.
the gear will disengage at will and wont accelerate even when it manages to engage. so I had to manage and take the car back to the auto workshop where it was diagnosed and a P0746 code(- Pressure Control Solenoid A Performance or Stuck Off) was discovered as the reason the car had the problem.

my question now I;
2- could it be that the shaft replacement could trigger a damage to the gear box( - Pressure Control Solenoid A Performance or Stuck Off)?

am not happy about this cos a lot have been spent already. pls, I need your advice.

did the transmission cool before the cv joints were removed from the gearbox? We're the cv joint ends that go into
Gearbox clean thoroughly?
Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by MPVGoddess: 8:58pm On Jul 06, 2016
lordpapi:

my question now I;

Sourced from https://www.nairaland.com/2617697/rebuilding-13-pin-toyota-u151e/3

Kashif, please respond to this guy!

The service manual of this transmission states that the ring gear of the final drive if disassembled, be heated in atf to 95 degrees C before assembly. The bolts must not be tightened when this ring is hot. That is the only thing I have found since studying these transmissions that mentions temperature management (well, we know the effect of cold atf on hot transmission though). I am sure this part of the transmission was not touched in your case so, what happened?

Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by MPVGoddess: 9:01pm On Jul 06, 2016
mayor2013:
You are not far fetched from getting another transmission. Price is 400k. Your kazeem screwed up things. Before that job was done he should have allowed the car's transmission cool down properly. In my own case I would do that job the next day. Dont forget in the process of pulling out the cv joint. A bit of Transmission oil would be lost (might not be the case for all cars). that process is hazardous to toyota and lexus. Am afraid that's the only way out now embarassed

Standard practice by experienced mechanics is to wait for 24 hours before touching a Toyota/Lexus transmission or anything connected to it!

That's what I initially wanted to post then i delayed.

Posters above explain why
Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by kingreign(m): 9:09pm On Jul 06, 2016
lordpapi:

my question now I;

CV joint change in a hot transmission?
Hmmmm. Eleyi gidi gaaaan!
Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by Kashif(m): 11:05pm On Jul 06, 2016
lordpapi:

my question now I;

This happens, and I do not have a straight answer regarding its cause. Those solenoids are known to be touchy so, it is usually the solenoids and/or control valves. Dirt ingress is common.

There are series of diagnosis to be carried out by your technician. First, let him check for pressure in the box when forward or reverse is selected. One thing I have learnt is to only test drive these transmissions (after an adapt reset) only when hot.

If you can wait a couple of days, you won't need to replace your transmission.

No point asking if you did initialisation, because it should not cause a no move. Do you have reverse? Start vehicle, allow it to get to operating temperature and try again.
Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by BluStreak(m): 7:39am On Jul 07, 2016
Pls is this problem only peculiar to Toyota and Lexus vehicles? Or does it apply to other Jap brands? I am asking this cos my Millie 2.5 KJ transmission is acting up and I want to believe it was after a ripped CV joint rubber cone replacement.
Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by lordpapi(m): 9:29am On Jul 07, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

did the transmission cool before the cv joints were removed from the gearbox? We're the cv joint ends that go into
Gearbox clean thoroughly?

yes. I took the car there on Saturday, and on Monday it was pulled out. the had more than 30hours to cool down..
Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by lordpapi(m): 9:37am On Jul 07, 2016
MPVGoddess:

Sourced from https://www.nairaland.com/2617697/rebuilding-13-pin-toyota-u151e/3

Kashif, please respond to this guy!

i say what went wrong. I took the car there on a Saturday, and on a Monday it was pulled out. the had more than 30hours to cool down...
Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by lordpapi(m): 11:45am On Jul 07, 2016
Kashif:

This happens, and I do not have a straight answer regarding its cause. Those solenoids are known to be touchy so, it is usually the solenoids and/or control valves. Dirt ingress is common.

There are series of diagnosis to be carried out by your technician. First, let him check for pressure in the box when forward or reverse is selected. One thing I have learnt is to only test drive these transmissions (after an adapt reset) only when hot.

If you can wait a couple of days, you won't need to replace your transmission.

No point asking if you did initialisation, because it should not cause a no move. Do you have reverse? Start vehicle, allow it to get to operating temperature and try again.
This is the process/order of repair
1) vehicle arrive in the workshop on Saturday. shocks, camber, pads n ball joint disassembled.
2)skip sunday- then on Monday hub n shaft was disassembled. its was discovered that the inner bearing and cup had no grease,was so rusted and slightly disintegrated due to exposure to mucky water. hence the need for replacement.
3) on Tuesday, the right leg shaft was also removed to inspect in order to inspect n replace the oil seal. Prior to this, the oil seal leaked oil in drops. so, during this process, 30% of the gear oil leaked out.
4) on Wednesday, all dis assembled parts were refitted back with new ones. the right and left shaft also replace after the oil seal was put in place. the transmission oil too was toped. then the car was started n test driven for a while without any issue coming up.
but by the time I drove the car to a distance of about 3mile, the car began to stall n wont respond to throttle and would engage n disengage at will. so that's how I got to this P0746 error code.
Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by Kashif(m): 12:34pm On Jul 07, 2016
lordpapi:

This is the process/order of repair
1) vehicle arrive in the workshop on Saturday. shocks, camber, pads n ball joint disassembled.
2)skip sunday- then on Monday hub n shaft was disassembled. its was discovered that the inner bearing and cup had no grease,was so rusted and slightly disintegrated due to exposure to mucky water. hence the need for replacement.
3) on Tuesday, the right leg shaft was also removed to inspect in order to inspect n replace the oil seal. Prior to this, the oil seal leaked oil in drops. so, during this process, 30% of the gear oil leaked out.
4) on Wednesday, all dis assembled parts were refitted back with new ones. the right and left shaft also replace after the oil seal was put in place. the transmission oil too was toped. then the car was started n test driven for a while without any issue coming up.
but by the time I drove the car to a distance of about 3mile, the car began to stall n wont respond to throttle and would engage n disengage at will. so that's how I got to this P0746 error code.

This transmission is respected in the industry as a butt- kicker. It decides when to go bunkers, and how it goes about it. It could send you chasing your tail by only removing a solenoid, and putting same back. Same could happen after just drain and refill. That's the way it is. It is bullet proof but when it acts up, is difficult to troubleshoot, mainly because it's PIDs are useless.

It is not your fault, nor that of your mechanic. Hot or cold, anything can happen! You need to focus on finding a solution now. Disconnect the solenoid harness and see if you have movement (this will cause it to drive in 3rd). Reverse works as per normal. If you have movement, it makes it easier. If you have a couple of tools, you can access this by taking out the battery and it's support.

You can also use a capable scanner and perform active test on the solenoids. You should hear them click with your ear close to the transmission. No click means stuck. Good luck!

Where are you located?

2 Likes

Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:56pm On Jul 07, 2016

This transmission is respected in the industry as a butt- kicker. It decides when to go bunkers, and how it goes about it. It could send you chasing your tail by only removing a solenoid, and putting same back. Same could happen after just drain and refill. That's the way it is. It is bullet proof but when it acts up, is difficult to troubleshoot, mainly because it's PIDs are useless.

I shall print a disclaimer for such repairs. grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by lordpapi(m): 2:08pm On Jul 07, 2016
Kashif:

It is not your fault, nor that of your mechanic. Hot or cold, anything can happen! You need to focus on finding a solution now. Disconnect the solenoid harness and see if you have movement (this will cause it to drive in 3rd). Reverse works as per normal. If you have movement, it makes it easier. If you have a couple of tools, you can access this by taking out the battery and it's support.

You can also use a capable scanner and perform active test on the solenoids. You should hear them click with your ear close to the transmission. No click means stuck. Good luck!

thanks dear. am in port-hacourt. Eleme to be precise.
the oil has just been drained in order to inspect the shift solenoid SL1 on the valve body.

Where are you located?
Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by lordpapi(m): 2:10pm On Jul 07, 2016
Kashif:

Where are you located?

Thanks dear. am in port-hacourt. Eleme to be precise.
the oil has just been drained in order to inspect the shift solenoid SL1 on the valve body.
Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by Kashif(m): 2:24pm On Jul 07, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

I shall print a disclaimer for such repairs. grin

It is very repairable. The issue is that those who attempt these repairs lack the tools and know how. Once you get it right, it goes out and stays out.

With many other brands, you will see what solenoids are getting what at each shift, but it is different in Toyota. You will have to probe and scope any solenoid under investigation to see what is happening to it. You only see input and counter speeds. No line pressure! So it sends you tapping individual ports to see what's happening during diagnosis.That's what I meant by PIDs being useless.

You can't always logically say why it should act up, but you can say how. In my case, I figured out what is causing the issue, but I don't know why what I did should cause that. That's the good part. In repairing, there are things that MUST be done, like making sure your valve body is free from any contamination. Get this right, and you are more than half way towards a beautiful ride.

The box itself is easy to fix, if you know the specs.

3 Likes

Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by Kashif(m): 2:33pm On Jul 07, 2016
lordpapi:

Thanks dear. am in port-hacourt. Eleme to be precise.

Okay.

One thing to note is that solenoid ratio (performance) codes do not point to the solenoids alone. It could be valve or piston/seal. Pistons are among the last to go. It is extreme heat that fries them. Testing the solenoid while still in the vehicle, and vehicle at operating temperature would have been ideal.

The solenoids HARDLY die. 90% of the time, they are stuck.

Good luck bro!
Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by disloman(m): 4:40pm On Jul 07, 2016
lordpapi:

yes. I took the car there on Saturday, and on Monday it was pulled out. the had more than 30hours to cool down..
Are you sure you were with them through the saturday to know if they didn't start the work till monday morning?Transmission of such brand are delicate to work on.
Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by mayor2013: 9:36pm On Jul 07, 2016
Another question here is when transmission oil was lost. What type of transmission oil was used to refill?

1 Like

Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by royalbarbecue: 10:10pm On Jul 07, 2016
my camry XLE gearbox is acting up, when the revving gauge (RPM) moves above 2, the gauge will go wild, the car will not accelerate
but if i stop the car shift to park and back to drive, it will normalize. when i off the engine for like 30mins,
it will happen again then normalizes after shifting to park while the engine is on.

what might be wrong with the gearbox?
Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by mayor2013: 10:18pm On Jul 07, 2016
royalbarbecue:
my camry XLE gearbox is acting up, when the revving gauge (RPM) moves above 2, the gauge will go wild, the car will not accelerate
but if i stop the car shift to park and back to drive, it will normalize. when i off the engine for like 30mins,
it will happen again then normalizes after shifting to park while the engine is on.

what might be wrong with the gearbox?

Run a scan. If you are in lagos visit multi autolab. 08156087872 or 08165520837
Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by auhanson(m): 1:57am On Jul 08, 2016
Kashif:

Where are you located?

You got it bro..you are absolutely right.. It happened to my colleague, it was so amazing.
Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by lordpapi(m): 6:50am On Jul 08, 2016
mayor2013:
Another question here is when transmission oil was lost. What type of transmission oil was used to refill?

Toyota oil T4
Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by lordpapi(m): 6:51am On Jul 08, 2016
disloman:
Are you sure you were with them through the saturday to know if they didn't start the work till monday morning?Transmission of such brand are delicate to work on.
I was there all tru
Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by Kashif(m): 7:57am On Jul 08, 2016
lordpapi:

Toyota oil T4

That's okay. How did the SL1 check go?
Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by lordpapi(m): 9:43pm On Jul 08, 2016
Kashif:

That's okay. How did the SL1 check go?

its all good.
The gear box bottom plate was removed after draining all the oil , the valve body was the removed.
it was hard locating which solenoid was SL1, so all the solenoid was removed n cleaned, tested with battery to determined if its clicking. after cleaning of the valve body n all the solenoids, and was about to be replaced, a gear specialist who came from Lagos that very day to fix another gear box came n inspected the gear oil filter. he found out that it was dented and could not pass oil as expected. so, he queried why it was dented and discovered that the bottom plate too was dented ( I knew it wasn't me cos av never hit anything I cn remember) too. After investigation, it was found that while the engine seatings were being removed and replaced, a jack was placed under the gear bottom-plate by a careless apprentice. the jack was what depressed the bottom-plate which in turn depressed the filter which may have also lead to an SL1 stuck off.
So we bought a new filter too but by the time we coupled everything together, it was already late.
fast-forward today; we put everything in place and toped the oil to gauge and test drove the car. we kept driving this car from time to time till 4pm and nothing negative happened. so, that's how I paid off everyone and left with my car. though the car is still on the watch list in-case the issue resurfaces(I believe it wont).

it was nice listening to all your input on thinks.

7 Likes

Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by leuelliot(m): 10:17pm On Jul 08, 2016
lordpapi:

its all good.
The gear box bottom plate was removed after draining all the oil , the valve body was the removed.
it was hard locating which solenoid was SL1, so all the solenoid was removed n cleaned, tested with battery to determined if its clicking. after cleaning of the valve body n all the solenoids, and was about to be replaced, a gear specialist who came from Lagos that very day to fix another gear box came n inspected the gear oil filter. he found out that it was dented and could not pass oil as expected. so, he queried why it was dented and discovered that the bottom plate too was dented ( I knew it wasn't me cos av never hit anything I cn remember) too. After investigation, it was found that while the engine seatings were being removed and replaced, a jack was placed under the gear bottom-plate by a careless apprentice. the jack was what depressed the bottom-plate which in turn depressed the filter which may have also lead to an SL1 stuck off.
So we bought a new filter too but by the time we coupled everything together, it was already late.
fast-forward today; we put everything in place and toped the oil to gauge and test drove the car. we kept driving this car from time to time till 4pm and nothing negative happened. so, that's how I paid off everyone and left with my car. though the car is still on the watch list in-case the issue resurfaces(I believe it wont).

This is exactly why i fix my cars myself. Sorry brother
Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by Kashif(m): 11:00pm On Jul 08, 2016
lordpapi:

its all good.

Wow! Congratulations! Knew that performance code could be anything. Toyota and yeye codes! Assuming you had excess money, you would have rushed to replace that transmission because of a restricted filter.

cool

4 Likes

Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:28am On Jul 09, 2016
happy ending grin
Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by lordpapi(m): 8:13am On Jul 09, 2016
Am so lucky. my gear was such a sensitive one. its A 13 PIN gear system. according to experts, its the most delicate gear when it comes to Toyota cars. I also has seen 3 persons who's gear box failed after work was done on their shaft, oil change, seal change etc.
I have learned a valuable lesson through this ordeal.
I will always make sure I assume a supervisory role any time I visit an auto workshop. The ignorant apprentice almost ruined my car.

These set of precautions must be strictly followed when word is to be done on a vehicle drive train or power train:
1)TO AVOID MEMORY LOSS- battery heads are to be unplugged before working the drive shaft, axle, hube etc.
2)TEMPRATURE IS A RISK FACTOR- give about 24 hours before work is to done on the drive shaft, gear oil change, and oil seal change
3)AVOID DIRT BY ALL MEANS- clean the shaft sockets, bearing before reinstallation
4)IGNITION KEY- never ever leave ignition key on the ignition when doing any work on ur car. even if na ordinary air filter sensor. lol. (I go fear precaution na).
JACKS- make sure jacks are properly place when working on ur car.

Goodluck to prospective car repairers.

4 Likes

Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by mayor2013: 8:39am On Jul 09, 2016
Gear box 400k no more. Congrats
Re: Help! Lexus Rx330 Trasmission Suddenly Malfuctioned After Shaft Replacement. by depair: 1:02pm On Jul 09, 2016
when is the best time to change gear oil, is it when engine is cold or warm

my toyota camry 2001 gear oil dip stick indicates Dextron II or Dextron III
is it appropriate to use Toyota TIV or what brand is available in Dextron II n III

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria / Tips on How To Protect Your Car From Being Stolen This Christmas Period / Replica Body Kits: The Nearest Thing To Owning A Super Car.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.