Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,394 members, 7,808,383 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:16 AM

Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland (38752 Views)

Meet Ruqayya Suleiman The First Female Pilot From Katsina State - Picture / Christie Amara Opara: Navy Promotes First Female Nurse In Nigeria As General / Sandra Aguebor: Nigeria’s First Female Professional Mechanic(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by GurlFriend: 5:35pm On Jul 07, 2016
After reading the story of Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, a young woman with a very bright star who was tragically cut down, I can't help but marvel at 'village people'.

Ada Priscilla Nzimiro was born in Port Harcourt, Old Eastern region on 30 April 1923, the same year general elections were held for the first time in Nigeria, to wealthy parents. She was the first child of mother but had step-siblings.

Ada was a very intelligent girl and excelled in academics that's why when she expressed her desire to study medicine and become a doctor, her parents supported her fully.

In 1945, Nzimiro enrolled at the University of Glasgow in Scotland where she studied and trained as a doctor.

She graduated MB ChB in 1950 and thus became the first woman from Igboland to qualify as a medical doctor.

She returned to Nigeria that same, but barely a year after she graduated, on 22 March 1951, as she was fully entering into her role as the first practicing female doctor in the entire region, she suddenly died without warning at the age 27. It came as a huge shock to the entire region, as well as her family and well wishers.

Later reports revealed she died of unnatural causes. She was buried a month after in Oguta, Imo state on 27 April 1951.

After Nzimiro's death, the William Wilberforce Academy (WWA), which was the first of two secondary schools her parents established at Oguta in 1945, was renamed to Priscilla Memorial Grammar School. This was done in order to honour her memory and record her achievement in the field of medicine.

However, the fact remains that she died prematurely and 'unnaturally' a year after graduating and returning to Nigeria to practice.

Who do we attribute this tragedy to? 'Village people' at work or a quirk of cruel fate?

Below is her photo as seen in the University of Glasgow archives

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/07/tragic-story-of-ada-priscilla-nzimiro.html

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by Ishilove: 5:58pm On Jul 07, 2016
Chei!! See wasters.

Father Lord, I refuse to be wasted at the door of my glory!!

156 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by tpbehappy(m): 6:49pm On Jul 07, 2016
Ishilove:
Chei!! See wasters.

Amen in Jesus name.

67 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by happney65: 6:51pm On Jul 07, 2016
Ishilove:
Chei!! See wasters.

Anything could have killed her..Natural Circumstances...What about the milions of people that die even before the clocked 20?See our people attributing it to some spiritual forces..

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jul 07, 2016
Ada Igbo...
Umu Igbo Amaka

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by vecman22(m): 6:51pm On Jul 07, 2016
let's attribute it to d wailing wailers aka ipob...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by harrysjones(m): 6:52pm On Jul 07, 2016
Village people' at work they dont want there fellow people to succed.....mAY GOD CONTINUE TO GUIDE US IN ANYTIN WE DO IN LIFE AMEN dont forget to check my signature

2 Likes

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by northvietnam(m): 6:52pm On Jul 07, 2016
such beauty and brain just wasted like that.

3 Likes

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by oyetunder(m): 6:53pm On Jul 07, 2016
Though tragic, the lesson remains that whatever we want to do, let us do it fast! Each second is so important...we must keep moving. Her death could be natural or un-natural, yet she fulfilled a dream at least-and today she is still being remembered. If anyone was responsible for her death, I'm sure the person must have died too.

13 Likes

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by funmind(f): 6:53pm On Jul 07, 2016
undecided

1 Like

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by BizBloke(m): 6:53pm On Jul 07, 2016
happney65:

Anything could have killed her..Natural Circumstances...What about the milions of people that die even before the clocked 20?See our people attributing it to some spiritual forces..

Abi? And considering the time period too.

2 Likes

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by DesChyko: 6:54pm On Jul 07, 2016
That's life everywhere. Everyone seeks the top but some are heartless enough to ensure that by every means possible.
Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by nintal(m): 6:55pm On Jul 07, 2016
And God u said we should not ask WHY? Me I go ask oh...
Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by looseweight: 6:55pm On Jul 07, 2016
The richest place in this world is d grave. Its full of unfulfilled dreams, aspirations, goals and destinies...

May God protect us the wicked ones. Amen

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by ideatoprince18(m): 6:56pm On Jul 07, 2016
@poster ..... person DT AF die ..

why are u reviving her spirit ..... aheg leave her alone jooorrrrr.... as u tell us wwtin u want make.we do

1 Like

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by Phonefanatic: 6:57pm On Jul 07, 2016
Hhj
Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by glossy6(f): 6:57pm On Jul 07, 2016
NCA job schedule does not cover this.
May her soul continue to RIP

1 Like

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by Emulti(m): 6:57pm On Jul 07, 2016
Igbotic magic

2 Likes

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jul 07, 2016
O ga o..
Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by kirchofff(m): 6:57pm On Jul 07, 2016
She could have died of a little illness like malaria, then people were so vulnerable to death cos a lot of cures to diseases were not present in africa

4 Likes

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by SilvanusII(m): 6:58pm On Jul 07, 2016
happney65:

God bless you o. I wonder how it is now the people in the village. When will we EVER learn to take responsibility for our actions in this country? How far ahead in medical technology were we then? Even now sef, how far ahead are we? Wasn't ordinary polio and malaria still killing by the hundreds then? She died. We lost a determined young woman. So have several hundreds. RIP. Simple!!!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by Saheed9: 6:59pm On Jul 07, 2016
must everything be spiritual?

1 Like

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by Vendoor(f): 6:59pm On Jul 07, 2016
Village people killed her.......
That sound like what you want to here abi

Op, Death itself is a Natural thing!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by IceMan85(m): 7:00pm On Jul 07, 2016
They just wasted her
Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by DesChyko: 7:00pm On Jul 07, 2016
vecman22:
let's attribute it to d wailing wailers aka ipob...

The reason there's poor drainage in my locality is because the only way to channel it off passes through the compound of a southwestern family. They refused and everyone didn't argue with that for fear of losing their lives over a gutter. Don't sing hymns here. It's a Nigerian thing.

3 Likes

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by UIA04(f): 7:02pm On Jul 07, 2016
Hmm

I can relate to what the OP is saying this life is too complicated.

That's how Chiwetel Ejiofors dad also a medical doctor came back to Nigeria for a ceremony and had an accident with his only son thank God the boy (Chiwetel) survived and is a star today. I'm sure the guy hardly visits this country.

It's just soo bad that such a beauty with a bright future will just die like that

2 Likes

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by NZAGHA(f): 7:03pm On Jul 07, 2016
No time to read... Ehen Op wetin u say happen
Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by sleeknick: 7:04pm On Jul 07, 2016
abeg oh. y am i seeing so many guys on yellow black and white attire all over my timeline on all social network? is it part of the sallah? or is there a celebration in naija i don't know of?.... who else observed this biko?....
Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by hayordele1: 7:04pm On Jul 07, 2016
Hmmmmm........Oh! This life sha!!!.
Heavenly father protect me,my family and everyone who surround me of premature death ooo.
Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jul 07, 2016
Chai! Such a beautiful lady.e no go better for these wiches i swear
Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by mapet: 7:06pm On Jul 07, 2016
I'll first check Malaria, a major culprit at the time.....
Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, First Female Doctor In Igboland by 01Mysticdon(m): 7:06pm On Jul 07, 2016
Religious people spitting stupid comments

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

'FG Plans To Retrench Workers' - Labour Raises Alarm / Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why / Wow!! See What This Pretty Slay Queen Does Just To Make A Living

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.