Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,229 members, 7,780,440 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:19 PM

CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva (11851 Views)

EFCC Fails To Re-arraign Ex-Governor Sylva / Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody / Factions Disagree Over Governor Sylva's Move To CPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by tayoTFC(m): 8:35am On Sep 11, 2009
this are the set of foolish politician/leader that militant should dealt with instead of distroying and bombing oil coy facilities,
FG give them allocation far more that south west state and the foolish people /politician diverted the money for persornal use to build mansion and buy private jet, God of thurnder go stricke and kill all the bad and selfish leaders in our country .( ise)
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by mbulela: 9:22am On Sep 11, 2009
Beaf:

^
"ALAMS, Goodluck and Sylva"? You are talking about money that never gets awarded, they stole other state monies. But way above that, you are begging the question.
The current structure of the country facilitates corruption and backwardness; the right organ to pressure for that change is the FG.
The structure of the pyramid "Federation" is the foundation for the two pillars of corruption in Nigeria; the federal and the states govts.

Corruption is not unique to the Niger Delta, it is a Nigerian malaise which exists only because the country is set up the wrong way with money flowing from the FG to the states, instead of the opposite.

If money flowed from state to FG, it will make the FG accountable to each state (one pillar of corruption down).
Also, if money flowed from the LG to the state instead of the other way round, state govts would be 100% accountable to their people (the other pillar of corruption down).

MEND is 100% right to "negotiate" with the FG.

What do you mean by the highlighted phrase?
another wrong premise is the phrase in red. wherever the money flows from will simply become the center of attraction and the seat of corruption in the country.Where the carcass is, there the vultures gather.
Corruption is institutionalized in the country.it is endemic and runs from the east to the west, from the north to the south of the country.
my point is that if the militants and their supporters hold the regional leaders accountable for the 'little' that is allocated with the same vigour they are bombing oil facilities, kidnapping oil workers and harassing the federal govt, their will be a noticeable difference in the ND even while the resource allocation fight is still on.Can you imagine gaining total control of the allocation of the resources of the ND and leaving it in the hands of gangsters like Ibori, Alams,Goodluck and Odili?
corruption will remain irrespective of how the money flows. the sources of flow will simply become the new center of looting.
resource management and accountability is a more urgent issue than resource allocation.
If the militants and their supporters feel so much about the ND issue, this is where to start from and the issue of Odili and Ibori would long have been resolved at a regional level.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by iukpe: 9:55am On Sep 11, 2009
This is why we are so backward and in all the trouble we find our selves. Most of our leaders are not smart or brilliant. Solving the nation's huge problems is not their priority. All they know how to do is to fight their way into power at all cost and then mess with our resources.

I wish the brilliant and smart people would take the bull by the horn and say "enough of this".
Why must a govenor be the person to show a foreign journalist round buildings. It makes no sense to me in the first place. It kind of portrays his priority and if he didnt know that before now then SAD! like we all see.

We have been ruled by this class of people for the past 25yrs and this has been the problem all along.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by otokx(m): 10:22am On Sep 11, 2009
Nigerians by and large have the leaders they deserve; bad leadership exists in every sphere of our totality starting from the "home". The militants figure that if they can reduce the oil exports to zero then the money in circulation for stealing will be minimal and the environmental impact on the local communities will immediately be reduced ab initio.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by KnowAll(m): 11:08am On Sep 11, 2009
There is nothing wrong in building a majestic, grandiose and elegant building as a Governor’s lodge in an oil rich state as Bayelsa. In fact Rivers, Bayelsa, Akwa-Ibom ,Delta and maybe Cross River States should all have majestic buildings as Governors’ lodges if they so desire.

Building the executive mansion is not concurrent expenses it is a capital expenditure and once built, it is there for posterity. True the majority of the populace in Bayelsa State live less than a $1 dollar a day, so does the majority of the citizens of USA when the White House was built, a lot of the labourers where slaves and earning the equivalent of a $1 dollar a day would have being a manna from Heaven for those folks. Nigerian labourers to the contrary are even lucky to be earning a $1 dollar a day, has the descendants of the Southern slaves who built the White House being compensated I doubt. undecided

When a nation is still evolving parity on wages, opportunities and other issues are relegated to the background.
Another important point to note is once the House is built, it will not be build again and again, it would just be a case of maintenance.

200 years from now Bayelsa state might well be the Dubai of Africa, and encomiums and praise would be showered on the founding fathers of the State as irony it may sound that list would include gentlemen or should I say crooks like Alams.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by Pennywise(m): 11:14am On Sep 11, 2009
^^^^Even the romans did not build an isolated coliseum inside wilderness. Why should we build one inside bush.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by toideve(m): 11:31am On Sep 11, 2009
what's wrong with having a befitting state house and probably the most beautiful in the country? i see nothing wrong in it, cnn is wrong this time again
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by igboboy1(m): 11:46am On Sep 11, 2009
sjeezy8:

"u dont make sense, like you've never had"- this my friend makes no sense

i make perfect sense my point is that some people like YOU, dont like when people post positive attributes about their own tribe. But if it were positives posted by a member of your tribe you would have no problem with it.
LOL im no tribalist- just an honest person who is staring point out different tribes positives(this time Yorubas just fit into what i said). simple
If anyone from any other tribe has something to contribute to the delta, say it. I give credit where credit is do. this time its yorubas, next time it'll be igbo positives since you're crying about it. Tribalism isnt going anywhere in Africa, so we might as well, give credit where credit is due and adopt the positive attributes from each tribe.

alright lady

See this bonafide ethnocentric nenequa trying to parade as someone he is not,

There is nothing wrong in being proud about where you from, (cos I am a bonafide Igbo man and I wear it boldly), But bush boys like you due to lack of exposure fail to see the beauty in OTHERS, Am not into ethnic chauvinism like you. I am from delta state, raised in warri and grew up with so much ethnic groups including yourubas so I know your nonsense rantings is due to ignorance

What credit where you talking about? That only the yorubas are good in diplomacy, I still beg to differ that diplomacy is not unique to yorubas neither is kidnapping or blowing up things a Niger delta thing as you implied in your original post,

ignoramus
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by KnowAll(m): 11:54am On Sep 11, 2009
Even the romans did not build an isolated coliseum inside wilderness. Why should we build one inside bush

Wahington was more or less a wilderness when the White House was built in the early 1700’s, so your point has no validity.

The CNN should go out and look for the descendants of those slaves that built the White House so that due compensation can be remitted accordingly. That is what I call Investigative journalism in my book not the crap they were going on about trying to belittle and disrespect an oil rich African leader. The West abhors it if you want to beat them on their game, when the late Hoiephny Boigny of Cote de voire wanted to build a bigger Church than the Our lady’s Bapsitat in Ivory Coast the Vatican City objected.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by sjeezy8: 12:09pm On Sep 11, 2009
igbo boy:

See this bonafide ethnocentric nenequa trying to parade as someone he is not,

There is nothing wrong in being proud about where you from, (cos I am a bonafide Igbo man and I wear it boldly), But bush boys like you due to lack of exposure fail to see the beauty in OTHERS, Am not into ethnic chauvinism like you. I am from delta state, raised in warri and grew up with so much ethnic groups including yourubas so I know your nonsense rantings is due to ignorance

What credit where you talking about? That only the yorubas are good in diplomacy, I still beg to differ that diplomacy is not unique to yorubas neither is kidnapping or blowing up things a Niger delta thing as you implied in your original post,

ignoramus

ok girl

I never said yorubas are the only ones with diplomacy, i said they display it the most and dont blame their problems on other reigions or tribes. lol actually blowing up things outside the Nigerdelta like in Lagos was an act by the Niger deltans MEND who did it in the name of their cause. What i implied was you dont see organizations in the west killing innocent people because they feel opressed like MEND. If you dont get that then sorry i offended you, you are to tribalistic to see past the Word "yoruba" or the "west".
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by agitator: 1:14pm On Sep 11, 2009
Beaf:

^
"ALAMS, Goodluck and Sylva"? You are talking about money that never gets awarded, they stole other state monies. But way above that, you are begging the question.
The current structure of the country facilitates corruption and backwardness; the right organ to pressure for that change is the FG.
The structure of the pyramid "Federation" is the foundation for the two pillars of corruption in Nigeria; the federal and the states govts.

Corruption is not unique to the Niger Delta, it is a Nigerian malaise which exists only because the country is set up the wrong way with money flowing from the FG to the states, instead of the opposite.

If money flowed from state to FG, it will make the FG accountable to each state (one pillar of corruption down).
Also, if money flowed from the LG to the state instead of the other way round, state govts would be 100% accountable to their people (the other pillar of corruption down).

MEND is 100% right to "negotiate" with the FG.

I am from Bayelsa, "I AM SICK OF THIS TYPE OF REASONING", That's why you have criminals parading as freedom fighters. I was pissed off hearing guys defending kidnapping of Julius Berger expatriate, working on the Eleme to Kaiama axis of the east-west road. it's only Lazy people who support this type of actions.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by chic2pimp(m): 1:38pm On Sep 11, 2009
* Shaking My Head In Digust And Anger* Errr. . . . . . . . . . I am seriously lost for words.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by Nobody: 1:50pm On Sep 11, 2009
Just watched the clip - two words:

Kunta-Kinte
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by SapeleGuy: 1:52pm On Sep 11, 2009
If you are open minded read on:

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/aug/8/501.html

For our country to move forward we have to have visionary ideas and the courage to implement them. On this thread some of you have displayed hindsight but have no vision or foresight.
Abuja was the mother of all white elephant projects, but supporters in high places made that vision come to life.

Past performance is no guarantee of future performance, If Sylva does what he says he is going to do, then he will deserve credit. If he doesn't then you will be justified in your criticism. It is far too early for the bullets some of you are shooting. Innocent until proven guilty - give the project a chance.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by call4shola(m): 1:59pm On Sep 11, 2009
see oil money on display grin grin
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by agitator: 2:27pm On Sep 11, 2009
SapeleGuy:

For our country to move forward we have to have visionary ideas and the courage to implement them. On this thread some of you have displayed hindsight but have no vision or foresight.
Abuja was the mother of all white elephant projects, but supporters in high places made that vision come to life.

Past performance is no guarantee of future performance, If Sylva does what he says he is going to do, then he will deserve credit. If he doesn't then you will be justified in your criticism. It is far too early for the bullets some of you are shooting. Innocent until proven guilty - give the project a chance.

are you aware that since inception of the state, there had been several adverts inviting people to apply for land allocation? and up till now only the house of assembly members, commissioners, pdp officials, house of reps/senate members, and banks mostly are given these plots.

most of the estates are built by these same group of people in power, past and present. It is rudiculous how sycophants continue to preach shameless on forums defending the underfendaable.

It's too pathetic.!!!!!!!

Why cant the government allocate land to people to build houses on their own, instead of building these substandard houses which they sell at prices beyond the reach of the ordinary Bayelsan. On top of that if you don't know anybody in power their is no way you can benefit.

Even the scholarship awarded by Alams for the Ukraine University program was based on who you know in power, morons were given scholarships to go and study with nothing to show for all the money wasted at the end of the day. some couldn't even graduate.

same bayelsa, you have a single individual working in two to three places, local government-state-federal, most of these people are relations or friends of those in power. That's why they shamelessly defend these corrupt politicians. I WEEP FOR NIGERIA
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by SapeleGuy: 2:37pm On Sep 11, 2009
Agitator - There are already too many people weeping in Nigeria - Abeg no add your own.

On a serious note, what can you do to make a difference? if you have solid evidence of these malpractices, present them on sahara reporters or better still go to EFCC.

I just think it is wrong to castigate people with little or no evidence (I mean on this project)
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by Beaf: 2:41pm On Sep 11, 2009
SapeleGuy:

I read that and changed my mind from what I posted earlier. I am impressed with Sylva's vision, about the need to diversify the states economy from oil and set up varied industries and international opportunities. Development comes from the creation of opportunities.
We need to give time for Yenegoa to be built out of what used to be nothing more than a huge forest. It can indeed become a stella capital city with vast opportunities outside oil.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by SapeleGuy: 2:53pm On Sep 11, 2009
People have forgotten that Bayelsa was carved out from 'bush' in 1996.  In true development terms the state is really 6 to 7 years old (take away 3 years for military era, take away another 2 years for alams v obj and another 2 years  for stop start issues with Sylva and Goodluck).

When will our people learn that CNN and co don't have our best interests at heart. Divide and rule by remote control.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by oge4real(f): 3:28pm On Sep 11, 2009
Imagine that! yet all these criminals are planning to invade Abuja saying that oil money is being used to develop only the FCT.
What exactly is the rationale behind this show of opulence?
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by agitator: 3:43pm On Sep 11, 2009
SapeleGuy:

People have forgotten that Bayelsa was carved out from 'bush' in 1996.  In true development terms the state is really 6 to 7 years old (take away 3 years for military era, take away another 2 years for alams v obj and another 2 years  for stop start issues with Sylva and Goodluck).

When will our people learn that CNN and co don't have our best interests at heart. Divide and rule by remote control.

how is CNN dividing & ruling, by stating the obvious, which is a glaring truth. Who is fighting who, are the masses fighting those in power as a result of the western press news? Just a question.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by SapeleGuy: 4:45pm On Sep 11, 2009
oge4real:

Imagine that! yet all these criminals are planning to invade Abuja saying that oil money is being used to develop only the FCT.
What exactly is the rationale behind this show of opulence?

Are you saying that such a plan is too good for Bayelsans?

agitator:

how is CNN dividing & ruling, by stating the obvious, which is a glaring truth.  Who is fighting who, are the masses fighting those in power as a result of the western press news? Just a question.

I will take you to any city in the world and show you disparity between rich and poor. Nowhere is this divide more evident in the so called civilised world than in the USA. Just look at their healthcare system.

If Bayelsa chooses to build a befitting edifice for their people to raise their self esteem and aspirations of generations to come and create employment now, that must be a positive step.

My question to you is would CNN choose a crack infested ghetto of which there are many, as America's public face or the statue of liberty ?
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by tokunegiye(m): 5:56pm On Sep 11, 2009
lets not over stress this matter it is fvery clear that there is notthing in this man's head and that he has nothing to offer to the people of bayalsa state. Take good look at the only university that they have got he has not being able to manage it. The man is only a fool.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by citizenY(m): 6:35pm On Sep 11, 2009
na resource control, why una dey worry.

alhaji oh alhaji oh militant go vex

fire get red fire get red.

and MEND wan fight all over Nigeria

wetin u dey find for sokoto dey for your sokoto

start with your uncle
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by toideve(m): 9:37pm On Sep 11, 2009
I've always know that CNN sees nothing good about this country. i mean its glaring and this video says it all cos cnn is claiming the building to be that of the Gov. which is not true as far as i'm concerned, its a laudable project worthy of emulation, i know for sure there's no such place as utopia,
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by illusion2: 10:23pm On Sep 11, 2009
toideve:

[s]I've always know that CNN sees nothing good about this country[/s]. i mean its glaring and this video says it all cos cnn is claiming the building to be that of the Gov. which is not true as far as i'm concerned, its a laudable project worthy of emulation, i know for sure there's no such place as utopia,
Don't blame CNN,blame the mumu that invited them. . . tongue

As for Sapele guy,u need to put things in percepective,yes it'll take time for Bayelsa to be full developed,but what should the emphasis be on? . . ,schools,economic activity,roads, healthcare etc sad

What revenue will this 'elephant project' generate?

E.g you have 1 million naira,you haven't eaten ,your children can't go to school,or get proper healthcare. . .so you think the first thing to do is build a grand monument 
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by Kobojunkie: 11:36pm On Sep 11, 2009
Ever notice how the selling points for every single White Elephant project in Nigeria, especially in areas where 80% of the population live in poverty, is that the projects will generate revenue and create jobs with no DETAIL provided on how this will happen. And most have no risk plans in place, should things not go as planned. As soon as that happens, the attention is immediately diverted either to the paralyzed state of things at the federal level or some imagined diabolical plan by some ethnic group to undermine progress at all cost.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by mustafar1: 11:49pm On Sep 11, 2009
it would creates gardening jobs for those that would get hired to cut the grass that is present where you rest ur legs in the amphibian theatre. also it would create jobs for those that would get hired to watch over the start of david and also those that would get hired to make sure people walk round the edge 7 times, not more than seven. KOBOJUNKIE you are fiber optic visionless.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by Kobojunkie: 12:00am On Sep 12, 2009
Afi fibre optic visionless no! lol
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by SapeleGuy: 9:34am On Sep 12, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Ever notice how the selling points for every single White Elephant project in Nigeria, especially in areas where 80% of the population live in poverty, is that the projects will generate revenue and create jobs with no DETAIL provided on how this will happen. And most have no risk plans in place, should things not go as planned. As soon as that happens, the attention is immediately diverted either to the paralyzed state of things at the federal level or some imagined diabolical plan by some ethnic group to undermine progress at all cost.

fibre optic vision or not, I beg don't turn this into an ethnic debate. You must know that the 80% statistic you quoted only applies in the Northern Nigeria.

On a serious note, a list of 'white elephant projects' in the country would be very educational.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by illusion2: 10:58am On Sep 12, 2009
SapeleGuy:

fibre optic vision or not, I beg don't turn this into an ethnic debate. You must know that the 80% statistic you quoted only applies in the Northern Nigeria.

On a serious note, a list of 'white elephant projects' in the country would be very educational.

Na u dey turn am to ethnic debate sad . . . the gov screwed up. . , . . . . simple. . . lets not try to make sense of the senseless. cheesy

Votes must count in Nigeria,once they do everyone will sit up,but until then ,the gov knows he'll get re-elected as long as he keeps the PDP happy . . . . embarassed embarassed
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by SapeleGuy: 11:06am On Sep 12, 2009
^^^The comments you are referring to were a joke. Lighten up!

Read the article and if you still feel the same fine.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads / Senate Committee On Debts & Loans Visit Lagos To Inspect Projects / Fayemi Reveals Why Governors Insist On Creation Of State Police In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.