Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,021 members, 7,803,433 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:12 PM

The Urgent Need To Revive Bini Written And Spoken Language. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Urgent Need To Revive Bini Written And Spoken Language. (1156 Views)

Full List: Hausa Is World’s 11th Most Spoken Language / Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Urgent Need To Revive Bini Written And Spoken Language. by Rockmyworld(m): 8:32am On Jul 09, 2016
My name is Lucky am from Benin city Edo state, Ikpoba Okha LGA. I grew up in a Yoruba land Ondo state Akure, from primary to university. But I understand and speak bini very well from childhood. I remember when I came to Akure in Ondo state, I was around 9 years of age. I couldn't communicate with children of my age. Because everybody speaks yoruba and once you can't speak you won't have any friends. In three months I learned how to read and speak yoruba. Because the society demands you to know.

But the reverse is the case when it comes to the bini people. We're not proud of speaking our language in public. I don't know why but am not happy about it. After my nysc came back to bini and found that little children hardly communicate in bini language. If you're a stranger here you'll never understand bini more than the greetings and insults. Please my bini people how can we revive this language so that we could be proud of speaking it anywhere.

Yoruba people in any place we communicate in their mother tongue any day any time. But we don't do that here.

Please apart from speaking bini how good are we in terms of writing?

Need your suggestions please.
Re: The Urgent Need To Revive Bini Written And Spoken Language. by OmoIgala: 8:45am On Jul 09, 2016
Firstly, is Bini language taught in schools?
Re: The Urgent Need To Revive Bini Written And Spoken Language. by Rockmyworld(m): 8:53am On Jul 09, 2016
OmoIgala:
Firstly, is Bini language taught in schools?

That's the amazing thing. I was teaching for a while after my nysc in Benin. But unfortunately no bini language subject. I remembered when I was about writing my waec years back in akure, I was asked to register one compulsory Nigerian language. They offer yoruba subject right from ss1. And here in Benin no language subject in most private schools. It's bad, and I don't know why.
Re: The Urgent Need To Revive Bini Written And Spoken Language. by OmoIgala: 9:04am On Jul 09, 2016
Rockmyworld:

That's the amazing thing. I was teaching for a while after my nysc in Benin. But unfortunately no bini language subject. I remembered when I was about writing my waec years back in akure, I was asked to register one compulsory Nigerian language. They offer yoruba subject right from ss1. And here in Benin no language subject in most private schools. It's bad, and I don't know why.

I think one of the problems in various Nigerian cities such as Benin is the multicultural nature of the city itself. Are ethnic Binis even 50% of Benin city anymore? the city has been heavily creolized, and that is why languages such as Pidgin English thrive in place of Bini or any of the various other local indigenous languages of Edo state such as Ora, Esan, Etsako, Okpamheri, Igarra Etc. As well as those brought by "outsiders"
Ondo as well as most other places where Yorubas live on the other hand are clear ethnic strongholds of Yoruba people.
To be honest, It is a sad development, but I don't know what the solution is, since Rural-Urban migration will only continue to increase in Nigeria, bringing all sort of peoples and cultures of a different nature into Benin.
Re: The Urgent Need To Revive Bini Written And Spoken Language. by Rockmyworld(m): 9:34am On Jul 09, 2016
OmoIgala:

I think one of the problems in various Nigerian cities such as Benin is the multicultural nature of the city itself. Are ethnic Binis even 50% of Benin city anymore? the city has been heavily creolized, and that is why languages such as Pidgin English thrive in place of Bini or any of the various other local indigenous languages of Edo state such as Ora, Esan, Etsako, Okpamheri, Igarra Etc. As well as those brought by "outsiders"
Ondo as well as most other places where Yorubas live on the other hand are clear ethnic strongholds of Yoruba people.
To be honest, It is a sad development, but I don't know what the solution is, since Rural-Urban migration will only continue to increase in Nigeria, bringing all sort of peoples and cultures of a different nature into Benin.

You're very correct sir. But there is something I'll really love to point out to you. And that's the love of the language or the pride of it. Forget about migration of other ethnic groups into Benin.
My emphasis is on why will two bini people be standing together and never for once speak bini language. I have met a lot of bini people in my life and I'll like to say we don't like speaking it to each other.
Two IBOs, Hausa, and Yoruba can never be together and choose to use the English language or Pigin. That's my point.
Re: The Urgent Need To Revive Bini Written And Spoken Language. by OmoIgala: 9:40am On Jul 09, 2016
Rockmyworld:

You're very correct sir. But there is something I'll really love to point out to you. And that's the love of the language or the pride of it. Forget about migration of other ethnic groups into Benin.
My emphasis is on why will two bini people be standing together and never for once speak bini language. I have met a lot of bini people in my life and I'll like to say we don't like speaking it to each other.
Two IBOs, Hausa, and Yoruba can never be together and choose to use the English language or Pigin. That's my point.

Maybe because the Two Ibos, Two Yorubas or Two Hausas might be coming from monoethnic states?
Since Benin is a city in Edo state, and binis account for only 1 out of 3 senatorial districts in Edo, not everyone in the state speak the same language, so I don't think the Edo state government will be able to do anything about the issue.
I think Binis are a great people who are proud of their culture and history, maybe they should extend that same pride to their language. Do Binis have town hall meetings, developmental conferences, community meetings, and the likes? Maybe they should start making it a point at the meetings, the importance of teaching their children Bini language. Remember that the family is the smallest unit of society, and the only place where representatives of individual families meet to discuss common issues are at meeting such as that.
Re: The Urgent Need To Revive Bini Written And Spoken Language. by Rockmyworld(m): 10:33am On Jul 09, 2016
OmoIgala:

Maybe because the Two Ibos, Two Yorubas or Two Hausas might be coming from monoethnic states?
Since Benin is a city in Edo state, and binis account for only 1 out of 3 senatorial districts in Edo, not everyone in the state speak the same language, so I don't think the Edo state government will be able to do anything about the issue.
I think Binis are a great people who are proud of their culture and history, maybe they should extend that same pride to their language. Do Binis have town hall meetings, developmental conferences, community meetings, and the likes? Maybe they should start making it a point at the meetings, the importance of teaching their children Bini language. Remember that the family is the smallest unit of society, and the only place where representatives of individual families meet to discuss common issues are at meeting such as that.

Very good point you have there sir. Talking about the senatorial districts it covers. I'll like to add that serious work should be done in areas of culture and history of the Great Benin Kingdom. Many of our parents tend to neglect the importance of passing knowledge from generation to generation. And once proper care is not taken about this issues. Information of our past would lost with our elders. I pray God help us all
Re: The Urgent Need To Revive Bini Written And Spoken Language. by Udmaster(m): 7:47am On Jul 10, 2016
Rockmyworld:
My name is Lucky am from Benin city Edo state, Ikpoba Okha LGA. I grew up in a Yoruba land Ondo state Akure, from primary to university. But I understand and speak bini very well from childhood. I remember when I came to Akure in Ondo state, I was around 9 years of age. I couldn't communicate with children of my age. Because everybody speaks yoruba and once you can't speak you won't have any friends. In three months I learned how to read and speak yoruba. Because the society demands you to know.

But the reverse is the case when it comes to the bini people. We're not proud of speaking our language in public. I don't know why but am not happy about it. After my nysc came back to bini and found that little children hardly communicate in bini language. If you're a stranger here you'll never understand bini more than the greetings and insults. Please my bini people how can we revive this language so that we could be proud of speaking it anywhere.

Yoruba people in any place we communicate in their mother tongue any day any time. But we don't do that here.

Please apart from speaking bini how good are we in terms of writing?

Need your suggestions please.
Bini language is slowly going into extinction due to neglect.
It is the Oba of Benin that will play a key role in commanding that all Primary and Secondary schools in Benin Should have Bini Language as a subject.. The problem is if the Eshans and other Ethnic groups in Edo state will accept it.
Language is an important heritage of any culture, We Igbos are aware of this fact and making sure that Ibo language is still alive and effective ..
Cc: Lalasticlala pls push this thread to frontpage for more contributions.

(1) (Reply)

Ondo - A People Like No Other / Sex In The Dream( Wet Dream) Always A Day Before Interviews/ Great Promise / Learn To Speak Chinese Language Within One Month!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.