Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,464 members, 7,808,648 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: (2426 Views)

How Much Is The PS3 Presently Sold?? / Used Old Ps3s (20, 60, And 80) Are Increasing In Value Compared To The Ps3 Slim. / Why Hasn't The Ps3 Been Hacked? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by dakmanzero(m): 9:53am On Dec 02, 2006
Seems like its a bad time to be a sony fan,

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=21440

(How long before Namco is forced to jump ship due to this? Ridge racer is already on xbox360. How long before we see tekken on the 360 and wii? Who knows whether konami  has this same problem? MGS 360 anyone?)

With this, and other nasty tidbits:

1) Sony couldn't meet its already slim target of 400,000 ps3s, ea CEO probst believes the actual figure was around 200,000, and sony has kept quiet, not even announcing sales figures (verify on gamesindustry.biz)

2) PS3 exclusives Including the top ps3 game of e3, assasin's creed, have jumped to the 360 due to 'publisher delays' (verify on gamespot.com)

mm. the future of gaming.
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by LoverBwoy(m): 10:36pm On Dec 02, 2006
still the most wanted game in town grin currentlt retailing for £800 (about $1900) shocked shocked that's the japanese version
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by dakmanzero(m): 11:33pm On Dec 02, 2006
hey, great news about the ps3!

http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/manual.html

looks like this will be very hacker-friendly! I wonder what sony has upo their sleeve?
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by LoverBwoy(m): 11:57pm On Dec 02, 2006
i think sony are trying just a bit too much, they should just release the damn thing, ps2 was a great success, they just want the latest of the latest secure everything which is impossible as technology changes everyday!
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by gbadex1(m): 8:29am On Dec 04, 2006
I hope y'all also know Konami are also jumping ship to the x360 and wii.

They are releasing new versions of "Winning Eleven" on 'em 360 and wii.

Bad, baaaad news for the ps3.
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by texazzpete(m): 9:13am On Dec 04, 2006
wiining eleven on the wii? where did ya get that from?

also note that successHk are selling the ps3 for 800 dollars for the 60GB model fror those of y'all early importers,
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by dakmanzero(m): 3:58pm On Dec 05, 2006
800 dollars is too much to spend on a game console.

If the ps3 recieves an inexpensive keyboard/mouse solution (eg plus in usb HID-compliant devices, or bluetooth HID -compliant devices, or even a sony attachment less than $20) then, coupled with linux compatibility, it may suddenly become a worthwhile purchase.

However only God knows how sony intends to sell this bizarre device. It is too expensive for gamers, it isnt a full computer straight out of the box, even if it becomes one, sony won't profit from programs written for it, and even if it drives bluray adoption, it will b at a huge cost to sony.

Add to this the fact that HDTV's are still luxury commodities (there is NO afforable model) and the ps3/360's graphics are not that much better than the original xbox's on a standard tv and you have what appears to be a poorly timed kludge of a system.

Since I got my 360, the main attraction has been the online functionality, in particular the little arcade games and the online leaderboards. considering halo 2 is a drug in multiplayer mode, i can only imagine the hours i would have wasted on xbox live if broadband in Naija was a serious thing. The device has something to offer- xbox live. The improved graphics and hi-def support are just side-attractions.

what does the ps3 have to offer? not much unfortunately.
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by LoverBwoy(m): 2:27am On Dec 06, 2006
what does the ps3 have to offer? not much unfortunately.

you played it yet? . . . well then shhh lipsrsealed
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by texazzpete(m): 9:58am On Dec 06, 2006
the ps3 supports USB keyboards and mice. and u dont need to install drivers to conect them.
epic's unreal tournament 2007 has already been announced as having usb keyboard and mouse support out of the box. any standard one will do.
coupled with the fact that you can install linux, run dvds, connect to the internet and browse with linux and run linux based emulatos ( i think), it looks like a compelling buy.
if they finally update the firmware, allowngi t to upscale DVDs to HD resolution, i'm all for it!
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by gbadex1(m): 5:13pm On Dec 09, 2006
@tp,

i got that from Google News. go search for it there or something.
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by c0dec(m): 11:43pm On Dec 09, 2006
anybody had the wii experience yet?
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by gbadex1(m): 4:17pm On Dec 11, 2006
have you? besides, how much do you think it will be sold for in naija?
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by texazzpete(m): 4:50pm On Dec 12, 2006
won't go for much in naija. many people wont buy it, naijans are barbarians, as long as there is no winning eleven on it, they won't buy.
besides, dont htink many game houses would love to hav ecustomers wavign their arms about grin
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by dakmanzero(m): 8:42am On Dec 15, 2006
depends. If the wii kicks arse overseas, its what will be big in naija. and winning eleven will appear on it eventually.

To the guy who said if i havent played it i should sharrap: dude, from all indications \, i HAVE played it. The games are identical to 360 and thats what i own! In fact, to me they are lower quality 'cos the 360 pad eats the dualshock for breakfast, specially to ppl with larger hands!

finally, to tp:

like i mentioned, if sony makes a bigger deal of the 'home computer' angle they may be onto something. A resurgence of a machine like the commodore 64 or amiga would be awesome, and a really 'revolutionary' idea, but they dont seem to be selling it- instead preferring the idiotic 'bam, graphics' and 'bluray' routes, which are obvious dead ends.

They should release a 'computer set' for the ps3 that includes a branded, home-friendly OS and a wireless mouse+keyboard, in effect turning the ps3 into a super-powered gamemachine+mac mini hybrid! That will be AWESOME! but of course $600 is too cheap for that, hmmm,

finally., call festus. He has a ps3 offer u may find interesting. That aside, the going rate at alaba for ps3 seems to be 150,000. wo@@@@@@@t!!!!
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by texazzpete(m): 9:09am On Dec 18, 2006
@dmz

not sure i wanna get a ps3 any longer. at least not just yet, cos my 360 i curently rocking my world. besides, the Festus ps3 offer is for the 20GB model, and that sucks.
Besides, my phone got stolen last sunday. Was an imate Jam pocket pc phone, cost me loads of cash and it's not even up to a year old. I need to get another phone and i need to come to terms with spending money that i wasn't prepared to originally,
not sure what u mean by 'branded, home friendly OS' for the ps3. sure as hell there aint gonna be windows Xp running on the ps3 in our lifetimes, so linux has gotta be the best option for now. come christmas time, yellow dog linux will officially be free for download fro the ps3.
The wireless keyboard/mouse combo could be an option sha,

Now for the Important info: Gimme your Gears Of War now!!
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by gbadex1(m): 9:57am On Dec 19, 2006
Bleep all consoles!! Everybody, back to playing Ayo Opon! Now!
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by dakmanzero(m): 3:12pm On Dec 23, 2006
dude, i feel u. the 360 is the best thing out there right now that isnt the wii. GEARS OF WAR is every bit as incredible as it has been described, especially when u start playing it the way it was meant to be played- in synergy with your fellow soldiers. GOW is one game where if u let your CPU friends die, you are soon to follow, and if u leave them on their own, they will surely die!

now imagine that with 2 players playing! You will shout at each other till u become hoarse. the game is that intense!
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by echowords(m): 11:10am On Jan 01, 2007
@DMZ
sounds like halo in resident evil.

Is there anyway to conect ur 360 to live. i know it works in south africa but is there anyway at all.
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by Gamine(f): 11:40am On Jan 01, 2007
iice im bck
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by iice(f): 11:41am On Jan 01, 2007
LMAO i was just gonna reply here lol, so what's the best suggestion? the 360? Thinking of gettin a new console and retire my ps2.
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by echowords(m): 7:03pm On Jan 01, 2007
Join our 360 community.

I mean ! Just look at the it

Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by gbadex1(m): 10:34pm On Jan 01, 2007
Join the Ayo Opon Community! cheesy
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by Lush: 4:49pm On Jan 02, 2007

Guys, guys, cant we all remember when the ps2 came out? Didnt it cost an arm then? Didnt we queue up to get one? The honest truth is for $800, the ps3 is worth it, given the equipment you're getting. Fine, its a bit pricey for a games console but we all know next gen appliances dont come cheap. Has it occurred to any of you guys that Sony's giving you a console thats years ahead of its time? If you've got a pc for playing high end games then you'll know what i'm talking about. You have to upgrade your pcs occassionally just to get the best from the latest games. Lets break it down:

Blue ray: Blue rays come in 25gb or 50gb versions. Do i need to explain the level of detail that will crammed into this or is it the length of the game? We all grumbled when we finshed Devil may cry in a day, how about playing it for a couple of months and not getting half way? Oblivion on the ps3 is getting a whole new guild and its been polished for the ps3. Buying a blue ray player starts from $1000, and the ps3 plays blue rays right out of the box, do the math!

Hard drives: Similar to the 360 but it can be extended through add ons. Imagine 500gb on your ps3, save all your movies, mp3s, pics, etc

Open ended: Imagine installing your own OS!

Backwards compatibility: Right from launch, it'll play psone and ps2 games unlike the 360 that requires updates just to play its immediate junior console, the xbox!

Blue ray player: Duh, it plays blue ray discs, dvds, audio cds, video cds. Microsoft has been quietly collecting your money by asking you to buy add ons (hd player) and pay to play online on xbox live

Last but not least, dude, this is a sexy black powerhouse.

Breaking news: Sony sold 1 million ps3s by the 31st of December (Japan & US), are you saying guys who bought didnt like it?

I could go on and on but the fact of the matter is, we all know developers wont be able to get to grips with the ps3 till the end of 2007, it dont mean its not going to perform. Yes it was late to launch, yes its a pricey console, yes it hasnt got a good lineup of launch games but hell yeah, come christmas 2007, you'll all be drooling at this console and thats the honest truth. Whether you b*tch about it or not, people with the dosh will buy it and Sony will meet their target, its the rule of law. No sensible developer will avoid developing for the ps3, you only need to look at the developers signed up man!

The 360 is all cool and everything but how long do you guys think its technology will last against the ps3? For chrissakes, Sony's an electronics giant! Because the graphics look the same to the 360 now dont mean they'll look similar in 9months dudes! Microsoft is making 360 owners buy a HD drive add on to watch HD movies, i repeat movies! Its not going to be a format for games, so no day dreamers mate.

Dont get me wrong, i like the 360 (Halo, Oblivion, Fight night, Gears of war) but in the long run, its going to lose its breath! grin

Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by dakmanzero(m): 11:34am On Jan 09, 2007
@echowords:

Yes you can connect your 360 to live in NAIJA!!!!! yes! i have an xbox livbe silver membership and have downloaded several live arcade games, with my scores ranked on the worldwide leaderboards!

Also, because I bought my 360 during X06 (august last year) i had a 1 month trial gold membership. I was able to play games online with my rubbish starcomms line. Doom lagged like hell and Dead or alive 4 was slow as molasses, but playable! If I win lottery I for buy EVDO make i kick arse online! heeeeeeeeo tekinoloji :O

@Lush

Sony have NOT sold 1 million consoles. Thjey have SHIPPED 1 million consoles. Big difference. MS on the other hand sold 4 million consoles during the last quarter of 2006 alone, not to talk of earlier. Face it: right now the 360 is a better buy than the ps3. It is cheaper, has more games and has better prospects.

Most ps3 games are already available on 360 with hardly any real differences. The new stuff in ps3 oblivion is already available as a download on xbox live. The ps3 is losing exclusives at super speed, and the few exclusives it has left that have actually seen release are inferior to 3560 games: genji/ resistance. Its top exculsives are leaving so fast- witness assasin';s creed and GTA. You will be shocked when MGS5 is announced as a 360/ps3 dual-release. (maybe not mgs4)

The blu-ray is a great feature of the ps3 but I have to say the hddvd of the 360 makes more sense. This is because it adds up to the same price when you buy the add-on, PLUS you get an extra drive so the ps2 death-by-movie problem doesnt reoccur (NOTE: on ps2's and xbox's the drive could die early if u watched movies on it cos it would spin a lot more than if you used it for games alone, overheat, and wear out. Pretty soon youd be able to watch movies but games would have serious problems). On the 360 if the hddvd drive dies in 3-4 yrs time u can replace it withouit replacing the whole unit.

Well, blu-ray has more capacity than hd-dvd thats a fact. However it is not USER capacity, so the only way it is relevant is if the video quality is better- and for nopw sony is boneheadedly frcing people to use mpeg2 on the bluray (stupidity) so the quality of vc1 compressed hddvd's is actually BETTER! (shock horror) in time this will change but for Gods sake sony!!!!!!!

blu-ray for games? Well if games eventually start needing more than 9gigs a throw, games on bluray will be a good thing. However the wii has shown that gigntic 300-hour mega epics are most likely NOT the way of the future, and your future wife/husband will probably agree.

Now you have many points about the ps3 that are genuine advantages, and are reasons that I have recently softened in my anti-ps3 stance. The openness of the console and the fact that more of its capabilities are unlocked for the use of the user is awesome- upgradable hard drive, card reading, Linux for homebrew including movie players, browsers, emulators and whatnot, keyboard/mouse compatibility- these are all things that are great for us (the users) but not neccesarily for sony,

finally:

I guess most people know by now that the technology in the 360 is not that different from that in the ps3, raw-power-wise. Im sorry but the diffference between ps3 and 360 will never be as big as that between xbox and ps2. Fuinny enough the ps2 beat the xbox even with inferior graphics, what does that tell you?
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by echowords(m): 5:04pm On Jan 09, 2007
@DMZ
HOW ? WHAT DO HAVE TO BUY ? HOW MUCH DO I NEED TO PAY,
so i can whip those fake ass Halo 2 players,Have my name in history,and declare war on the japs
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by dakmanzero(m): 7:20pm On Jan 12, 2007
those fake-ass halo 2 players will kill u o.

When i was in jand feb last year i saw a guy playing slayer online with snipers and NO ZOOM ALLOWED.

Step into the open and, headshot. Instant death.

Tell me how u will face those people

Just use any internet connection that doesnt require a proxy server! You'll need a hotmail account sha.
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by echowords(m): 11:35pm On Jan 12, 2007
Well since u use starcomms which is what i use, i guess theres no problem then about the proxy server. But why do i need a hotmail account.
well i guess i have to first buy the XBlive kit, but after that i dont know what to do from there. i dont want to stress u but i will really appreciate it if.
you u explain to me in detail what i have to do and buy. grin grin

As for the sniper dude, i cant think of any counter now. unless am playing then my brain starts to function. but been the sniper type myself(zoom allowed) he would'nt be much trouble for me. on halo combat evolved. i once sniped a rocket. but i admit i didnt know u could do dat. someone shot at me from a distance so i just traced the rocket and shot. so i am almost as accurate but damn fast.

And oh a friend of mine wants to sell his Wii {Brand new}so if anyone's interested just, post ur number or some thing so i can pass it to the guy.
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by Lush: 1:58am On Jan 13, 2007
Well first, i'd advise you stop using your starcomms connection for xbox live, its not good enough. Direct on PC has been tried and tested on 384kbps and its smoking at that speed (goes for 75k, thats equipment, installation and 3months subscription). Although, you can also hook up to 128kbps and you'll still have no issues.

There are also varying levels of xbox live membership which you would have to purchase either from a video game shop (we havent got shiiii in Nigeria) or online using a credit card. There are a couple of people that help with online payments so thats easily sorted. Go to the official xbox site to check out the cost of varied xbox live subscriptions (www.microsoft.com). Follow the necessary instructions regarding connecting your xbox to the internet and you can scream back at the japs angry
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by texazzpete(m): 7:12am On Jan 13, 2007
@echowords

my number's 08027003009. lemme know how much d wii costs
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by c0dec(m): 11:25am On Jan 13, 2007
why would anyone want to sell his wii?

can anyone of you guys in naija do me a favour? i need to know if "Street Fighter Anniversary Collection" for PS2 made it to alaba?
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by Lush: 1:08am On Jan 14, 2007
c0dec, is that the SF with the anime in it? If it is, then take the next available cab to alaba and get sorted mate grin
Re: More Bad News For The Ps3 Hopefuls: by c0dec(m): 12:19pm On Jan 14, 2007
yeah, this one .

apparently capcom didnt release a PAL version for the PS2 just the Xbox. it's the only way i can play 3rd strike. and pity i'm in england. anyone of you guys coming here soon?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Survive In This Lock Down! / PS4 Games For Sale In Lagos. / Nba Live 13(cancelled)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.