Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,741 members, 7,806,021 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:23 AM

Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? (10963 Views)

How Do You Ask Your Boss About A Pay Raise? / I Caught My Boss Pants Down With The Organization's Secretary / I Got This For Asking My Boss My February Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Mbkite(m): 1:13pm On Jul 09, 2016
I want to commence my M.Sc programme very soon and I know it's definitely going to affect my job a little. I'm worried my boss may not grant me the privilege to run it, if I should inform him. My question is - Should I make my intention known to him or should I just ignore him and move on with the programme and face whatever comes out?
Nairalanders, who have been in my shoes I seriously need your input.

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Cutehector(m): 1:19pm On Jul 09, 2016
Whch school
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Mbkite(m): 1:22pm On Jul 09, 2016
Cutehector:
Whch school
Unizik
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Delphi(m): 1:23pm On Jul 09, 2016
It's not advisable. Let him fathom/notice of it along the line. You only should try how you can put extra effort in the work as to compensate for loss time in the study engagement. "It is not advisable to have a microphone initially when taking a bold step".

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by mdokaba1(m): 1:24pm On Jul 09, 2016
It all boils down on his stands on schooling while working, cos I currently work under a boss that sees that as a * TABOO* How pathetic tho!

Btw, if the lectures time table does not conflict with your job, then I advice you dont tell him, cos some naija Bosses and jealousy na 5 n 6.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Mbkite(m): 1:26pm On Jul 09, 2016
Delphi:
It's not advisable. Let him fathom/notice of it along the line. You only should try how you can put extra effort in the work as to compensate for loss time in the study engagement. "It is not advisable to have a microphone initially when taking a bold step".
thanx bro. I just feel he should know. maybe just maybe he would encourage me.
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Mbkite(m): 1:27pm On Jul 09, 2016
mdokaba1:
It all boils down on his stands on schooling while working, cos I currently work under a boss that sees that as a * TABOO* How pathetic tho!

Btw, if the lectures time table does not conflict with your job, then I advice you dont tell him, cos some naija Bosses and jealousy na 5 n 6.
I dey tell you.

9 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Toluwani111: 9:46pm On Jul 09, 2016
Ok[size=21pt] I want to sell facebook Page & Group with huge members. Kindly Send a message to me on ==> Facebook[/size].
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jul 09, 2016
What is the behaviour of your boss to the progress of his employees? Positive or Negative?

If it is POSITIVE, there's no problem telling him.

If it's the other way round, collect your salary and tender your resignation letter ASAP. That will be a rude surprise to him though cool cool cool

You're the only one who knows how your boss behaves.

Hope I made little sense.

6 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by adonbilivit: 9:46pm On Jul 09, 2016
tell him only if he is a PHD holder. if he does not have an m.sc talk less of a PHD that will make him insecure. he might set u up for a good reason to fire u

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by bellarmine: 9:47pm On Jul 09, 2016
Mbkite:
I want to commence my M.Sc programme very soon and I know it's definitely going to affect my job a little. I'm worried my boss may not grant me the privilege to run it, if I should inform him. My question is - Should I make my intention known to him or should I just ignore him and move on with the programme and face whatever comes out?

What is wrong with us, youths?

We can no longer make simple decisions without consulting a social media...Where are brains

And this stuff is making Fp.

Ogbeni, Op, use your head pls.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by bellarmine: 9:49pm On Jul 09, 2016
Mbkite:

We can no longer make simple decisions without consulting a social media...Where are our brains

7 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Fulaman198(m): 9:49pm On Jul 09, 2016
mdokaba1:

LOLLLL
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by famo19: 9:49pm On Jul 09, 2016
yes now he or she might even help u and put u through u get .... and he tell u to go life goes on u will get a better job ater ur m sc
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by obstead200(m): 9:50pm On Jul 09, 2016
mdokaba1:

if I were ur boss, I wud not really care if u told me or not (except company policy requires u to disclose it)
but if the job schedule is such that the schooling will affect ur Job, I will make it abundantly clear to u that even though I encourage u to continue ur studies, U cannot use ur non-company sanctioned studies as the slightest excuse not to deliver fully. be it test, exam or whatever, ur schooling must never conflict with ur Job.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by nurez305(m): 9:51pm On Jul 09, 2016
Please is it right for me to tell my employer that Amala with Gbegiri is my best food. Please Help!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by luckman20(m): 9:54pm On Jul 09, 2016
How nairalander will be forcing you to take their opinions

8 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by HDee(m): 9:56pm On Jul 09, 2016
smiley
Mbkite:

It's really simple bro.

But is like you're trying to retain the job after your program.. Cos if not, i dont know why you're asking this question.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Prinxx(m): 9:58pm On Jul 09, 2016
I have been in your shoes. I didn't tell my boss as I am not prepared for any surprises and I am almost at the tail end of my coursework.
Advice is don't tell him yet till it becomes necessary and ensure effort on your job is doubled but believe me it will affect your job. #Impossible is nothing.
Ride On

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jul 09, 2016
Put yourself in ur boss shoes....

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by mopolch(m): 10:01pm On Jul 09, 2016
Don't please

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jul 09, 2016
I don't know the kind of Job you do. If it is a government Job, you have an advantage but if it is a private firm, you sure need a boss that understands.

Msc in Unizik is more like a regular program, be ready to cough out about 2days a week for lectures (Saturday not inclusive) sometimes even more than that. Because most of your coursemates would be unemployed and may not bother to carry the few that are working along.

I just finished my course work last month and I tell you, it wasn't what I bargained. However, I encourage you to take a step.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Johnsinia(m): 10:05pm On Jul 09, 2016
bellarmine:

We can no longer make simple decisions without consulting a social media...Where are our brains

if you do not like this post, I do and am sure many nairalanders and visitors do. And let me tell you, the smallest thing you think is small can be a big issue for others. Am 100% sure that a primary pupil can educate you on some things you do not know.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by queencalipso(f): 10:07pm On Jul 09, 2016
luckman20:
How nairalander will be forcing you to take their opinions

Lolzz!!! But no one forced you to bring your issue to nl. What do you expect when one makes his personal life public.

People are so annoying this days!!! A simple decision that they can make on their own, they will carry come nl.

Op!!! Na you know your boss! So no one here can tell whether telling him will be right or wrong but you alone. You know his behaviour.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jul 09, 2016
What is wrong with people? Msc for what? Nigerian economy could care less if you do PhD. Bend down, focus on ur job. Build ur life... undecided
Mchew!
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Fulaman198(m): 10:11pm On Jul 09, 2016
Mbkite:

What are you going to be studying?
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by babaRUNtinz(m): 10:17pm On Jul 09, 2016
y not? except ur boss is a backward person and an enemy of progress. after all,no b him company dem bury ur placenta.
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jul 09, 2016
AheadMarket:
What is wrong with people? Msc for what? Nigerian economy could care less if you do PhD. Bend down, focus on ur job. Build ur life... undecided
Mchew!

Easy to say. PhD may not matter if you're not in lecturing, but a masters level education - Msc or MBA is very necessary, especially when you are up for managerial position. So the earlier you do it the better, especially when the opportunity presents itself.
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by nmreports: 10:22pm On Jul 09, 2016
Guys guys guys.
The ones that are feigning smartness on this thread.
If you are so smart, you would understand that if you see a topic that does not follow your opinion or perspective train then you just ignore and get involved with topics that feeds you.
Op has offended not even an ant by asking this question. Guys... live and let live.

Mbkite, to your question. You are not obligated to inform your boss except it's stated in your handbook.
If he is your line manager and the MSC is not full time, I don't think you need to tell him.

You should only mention it at work if it's full time and if it will affect your work hours.
However, you can also tell your boss in good faith bearing in mind possible consequences and yes! Some bosses do encourage this very well.

Best.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by ahahnow: 10:28pm On Jul 09, 2016
please, how did you study for your gmat? im struggling with that one oooo pls assist a sister
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by banmee(m): 10:29pm On Jul 09, 2016
it is sad that the question is asked. In normal countries, you are encouraged to get to the highest level you can. Especially if you are employed.
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jul 09, 2016
It all depends on the person you working with.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do Labor Laws Protect Nigerian Workers? / Career Crisis - What Do I Do / Lagos Police Dismiss 9 Police Officers & Demotes 25 Over Corruption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.