Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,499 members, 7,801,306 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:35 PM

Serena Williams Wins Seventh Wimbledon Title, 22nd Slam - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Serena Williams Wins Seventh Wimbledon Title, 22nd Slam (1236 Views)

Serena Williams Cries After Losing Wimbledon Final To Angelique Kerber (Photos) / Roger Federer Wins 8th Wimbledon Title / Serena Williams Is Engaged To Alexis Ohanian, Reddit Co-Founder. Gets Backlash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Serena Williams Wins Seventh Wimbledon Title, 22nd Slam by newsrepublique: 4:58pm On Jul 09, 2016
Serena Williams’ chase for Grand Slam singles title No. 22 is finally over.

After coming up short in three consecutive majors, Williams tied Steffi Graf’s mark with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Angelique Kerber in Saturday’s Wimbledon final.

In a tight, high-quality match, the best server in the history of women’s tennis ultimately prevailed over one of the game’s top returners.

Kerber won the opening coin toss and elected to receive, as she had broken Williams five times to win the Australian Open final earlier this year. She would have no such luck Saturday. Williams dominated on serve, firing 13 aces, winning 88 percent of her first-serve points and only allowing one break point throughout the entire match.

Kerber held her own, though, staying dedicated to her game plan. After saving three break points in her opening service game, Kerber got into a rhythm. She drew Williams into rallies, which she dominated by making Williams chase the ball from side-to-side.

Needing to hold to stay in the opening set with Williams up 6-5, Kerber finally blinked and Williams moved one set closer to the title.

The quality continued into the second set, with Kerber trying her best to push Williams off her game. Kerber earned her first break point of the match at 3-3, but Williams closed any opening she had with an emphatic ace.

But Williams would not be denied, breaking Kerber at 4-3. After holding strong to win her seventh Wimbledon title, Williams fell to the ground in celebration, and perhaps, a bit of relief.

The legend grows.

Serena is warmly congratulated at the net by Kerber after winning her 22nd Grand Slam title.
Saturday’s win was Williams’ unprecedented ninth title over the age of 30. She now stands side-by-side with Graf for most major titles in the Open era, and is only two titles behind Margaret Court’s all-time mark.

Williams’ Wimbledon run is not yet over, as she and her older sister Venus will try for another doubles title later in the day.
Read More on:http://www.newsrepublique.com/serena-williams-wins-seventh-wimbledon-title-22nd-slam/

1 Share

Re: Serena Williams Wins Seventh Wimbledon Title, 22nd Slam by femolacqua(m): 5:02pm On Jul 09, 2016
Congrats.

1 Like

Re: Serena Williams Wins Seventh Wimbledon Title, 22nd Slam by Boring: 5:25pm On Jul 09, 2016
Serena Williams the GOAT

1 Like

Re: Serena Williams Wins Seventh Wimbledon Title, 22nd Slam by coolcharm(m): 5:28pm On Jul 09, 2016
Boring:
Serena Williams the GOAT
huh? Stop hating on someone who doesn't even have an idea of you. It's not good for your health.

2 Likes

Re: Serena Williams Wins Seventh Wimbledon Title, 22nd Slam by Boring: 5:46pm On Jul 09, 2016
coolcharm:
huh? Stop hating on someone who doesn't even have an idea of you. It's not good for your health.

children of nowadays just wanna type any rubbish in dia little brain.

if u dont know wat GOAT means why not ask me or google it..

ok boy listen up now lemme lecture u, GOAT is an anacronym or web abbreviation which stand for Greatest Of All Time

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Serena Williams Wins Seventh Wimbledon Title, 22nd Slam by coolcharm(m): 6:06pm On Jul 09, 2016
Boring:

ok boy listen up now lemme lecture u, GOAT is an anacronym or web abbreviation which stand for Greatest Of All Time

Is your hand hurting you? Is that too long for you to type? Look who's calling some a child. I wouldn't blame you. Your likes have been spoilt by useless and meaningless acronyms
Re: Serena Williams Wins Seventh Wimbledon Title, 22nd Slam by Horus(m): 6:33pm On Jul 09, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EUKlkAQZb8

[size=14pt]Serena Williams vs Angelique Kerber Full Highlights HD - Final Wimbledon 2016[/size]
Re: Serena Williams Wins Seventh Wimbledon Title, 22nd Slam by Boring: 6:57pm On Jul 09, 2016
coolcharm:

Is your hand hurting you? Is that too long for you to type? Look who's calling some a child. I wouldn't blame you. Your likes have been spoilt by useless and meaningless acronyms
atleast NL don teach u something 2day..
ogbeni park well joor.. undecided..see as u dey take NL post serious ..
Re: Serena Williams Wins Seventh Wimbledon Title, 22nd Slam by yemmight(m): 7:51pm On Jul 09, 2016
Boring:

Thse are the qualities of the people left on Nairaland. Gone are the the days. What we have now are children who the parents buy laptops and phones for.
Re: Serena Williams Wins Seventh Wimbledon Title, 22nd Slam by Boring: 7:56pm On Jul 09, 2016
yemmight:

Thse are the qualities of the people left on Nairaland. Gone are the the days. What we have now are children who the parents buy laptops and phones for.

#word ..
Truetalk man..*a bottle of star for you* ..

Gbam

1 Like

Re: Serena Williams Wins Seventh Wimbledon Title, 22nd Slam by coolcharm(m): 8:01pm On Jul 09, 2016
Boring:

atleast NL don teach u something 2day..
ogbeni park well joor.. undecided..see as u dey take NL post serious ..
you come across as an uncultured individual. Yes, I learn every day, and I also unlearn irrelevant things everyday too. Stuffs like your lazy acronym don't pass for what I'll take to heart. Just have yourself a fab evening.
Re: Serena Williams Wins Seventh Wimbledon Title, 22nd Slam by Boring: 8:13pm On Jul 09, 2016
coolcharm:
you come across as an uncultured individual. Yes, I learn every day, and I also unlearn irrelevant things everyday too. Stuffs like your lazy acronym don't pass for what I'll take to heart. Just have yourself a fab evening.

why so serious son..is NL dont take anything personnel to make u lose ur cool and start b!tching abt tins that have pass, shows u weak emotionally.go suck on some breast and chill out undecided...nigggaaa plz..
Re: Serena Williams Wins Seventh Wimbledon Title, 22nd Slam by Horus(m): 3:08pm On Jul 10, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYABgJJOpfE

[size=14pt]Serena Williams speaks after clinching 7th Wimbledon title[/size]

(1) (Reply)

Chelsea Vs Leicester City Live Streaming / EPL Fastest Players / Gabriel Jesus Was Painting The Streets Of Brazil In 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.