Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,705 members, 7,805,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:09 AM

REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. (4705 Views)

University Of Ibadan To Expel 328 Students Over ‘Shameful Academic Results’ / Scenic Pictures Of ABU Zaria Dam / 5 Worst Mutations That Ever occurred in Human History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by Fmartin(m): 10:33pm On Jul 09, 2016
In the late 1800s to well into the 1900s, Europeans created “human zoos” in cities like Paris; Hamburg, Germany; Antwerp, Belgium; Barcelona, Spain; London; Milan; Warsaw, Poland; St Louis; and New York City.

These were popular human exhibits where whites went to watch Black people who were on display.

The Black people were usually forced to live behind gates and in cages similar to animals in a zoo today.

Some of the Black people were kidnapped and brought to be exhibited in the human zoos.

Many of them died quickly, some within a year of their captivity. A large number of visitors attended these exhibitions in each city daily. For example, the Parisian World Fair featured a human zoo that exhibited Black people, and 34 million people were drawn to the exhibition in just six months.

Below are several photos showing the horrible reality of Black people who were forced to live in human zoos.

http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/09/09/13-shameful-pictures-europeans-placing-african-people-human-zoos/3/
Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by Fmartin(m): 10:35pm On Jul 09, 2016
This is a “Peoples Show” in Brussels, Belgium, where the young Black girl is fed by the white spectators

1 Share

Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by Fmartin(m): 10:38pm On Jul 09, 2016
Congolese pygmy Ota Benga was on display at the Bronx Zoo in New York City in 1906. He was forced to carry around chimpanzees and other apes.

Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by robinicule(m): 10:38pm On Jul 09, 2016
Okay
Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by Fmartin(m): 10:40pm On Jul 09, 2016
One of the many human zoos in France

Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by femolacqua(m): 10:40pm On Jul 09, 2016
Thank God for reorientation and abolishment of slave trade.
Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by Fmartin(m): 10:42pm On Jul 09, 2016
A 20-year-old girl from South Africa known as Sarah “Saartjie” Baartman was recruited to work in a Paris zoo because of a genetic characteristic known as steatopygia — protuberant buttocks and elongated labia. Whites went to the zoo to look at her buttocks and at other naked Black women with the same shape.

Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by Ezedon(m): 10:43pm On Jul 09, 2016
Do they pay the people, i want to leave this country and join

3 Likes

Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by Fmartin(m): 10:45pm On Jul 09, 2016
This is one of France’s many “Negro Villages.” It was said the village would often display Blacks to dehumanize them and compare them to animals.

Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by Fmartin(m): 10:48pm On Jul 09, 2016
Pygmies were made to dance during numerous exhibitions to entertain visitors at zoos in both Germany and England

1 Share

Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by Sleekydee(m): 11:27pm On Jul 09, 2016
to understand the real depth of slavery and what really happened, go watch ROOTS
Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by buharisbae(f): 12:00am On Jul 10, 2016
When I see threads like this it makes me wanna cry

tinkin of how the whites dehumanized blacks is too painful to bear buhh I can bet the woes will soon befall the white for what they have done to degrade the black race! may God judge em all

2 Likes

Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by Famouson: 4:42am On Jul 10, 2016
Honestly speaking, why did they stop? ... I feel Nigeria still needs to be colonized for the next 100 years... It would've been much fun seeing our selfish and greedy leaders in that cage..
Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by realmindz: 4:51am On Jul 10, 2016
God bless these whites that introduced religion to us...
Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by majour(m): 6:02am On Jul 10, 2016
realmindz:
God bless these whites that introduced religion to us...
For real bro, r u serious, they enslaved us and further gave us a religion to further enslave us and u thank God for them, what has bin the benefit of religion to the world.

"When the churches literally ruled society, the human drama encompassed:
(a) slavery
(b) the cruel subjection of women
(c) the most savage forms of legal punishment
(d) the absurd belief that kings ruled by divine right
(e) the daily imposition of physical abuse
(f) cold heartlessness for the sufferings of the poor
(g) as well as assorted pogroms ('ethnic cleansing' wars) between rival religions, capital punishment for literally hundreds of offences, and countless other daily imposed moral outrages. . . . [I]t was the free-thinking, challenging work by people of conscience, who almost invariably had to defy the religious and political status quo of their times, that brought us out of such darkness"

Steve Allen

8 Likes

Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by freethinker01: 6:07am On Jul 10, 2016
majour:
For real bro, r u serious, they enslaved us and further gave us a religion to further enslave us and u thank God for them, what has bin the benefit of religion to the world.

"When the churches literally ruled society, the human drama encompassed:
(a) slavery
(b) the cruel subjection of women
(c) the most savage forms of legal punishment
(d) the absurd belief that kings ruled by divine right
(e) the daily imposition of physical abuse
(f) cold heartlessness for the sufferings of the poor
(g) as well as assorted pogroms ('ethnic cleansing' wars) between rival religions, capital punishment for literally hundreds of offences, and countless other daily imposed moral outrages. . . . [I]t was the free-thinking, challenging work by people of conscience, who almost invariably had to defy the religious and political status quo of their times, that brought us out of such darkness"

Steve Allen
sacarsm bro! wink

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by majour(m): 6:26am On Jul 10, 2016
freethinker01:
sacarsm bro! wink
grin
Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by LarryBeryl(m): 6:48am On Jul 10, 2016
This country never look like one that had suffered before because what our leaders who are Africans make us go through is far worse. The blood of those who suffered to make Nigeria free from slavery and all sort of maltreatment from the whites will never make all corrupt and sentimental government rest.
sad sad sad
Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by hulkhiharitoz(m): 6:49am On Jul 10, 2016
Sleekydee:
*walking by* oh boy, e done tay wey yansh dey back, see that a**
angry

2 Likes

Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by xreal: 6:57am On Jul 10, 2016
Edumare punish those whites all.

Especially the french.
Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by adebayo10977(m): 7:13am On Jul 10, 2016
But for me it has not change its just that is a little bit reduced,dy will come to our continent and be treated like king reverse is the case Wen visit them.......
very inhumane.

2 Likes

Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by deeoh(m): 7:34am On Jul 10, 2016
robinicule:
Bunch of sentient ignoramus, if only they knew black is the drop cap of all races!
no offence yo! but do we see ourselves any better. by the way their perception back then is blacks are not human that's way they pay to see them
Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by hardbody: 7:55am On Jul 10, 2016
Ezedon:
Do they pay the people, i want to leave this country and join

Mental slave for life

3 Likes

Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by Henrypraise: 8:07am On Jul 10, 2016
buharisbae:
When I see threads like this it makes me wanna cry

tinkin of how the whites dehumanized blacks is too painful to bear buhh I can bet the woes will soon befall the white for what they have done to degrade the black race! may God judge em all

It shudnt make u cry, we africans av don worst dan dis for oursefs. Even in des conditions, I believe most of dem wia living better dan d pple de left bak home. If in doubt, why ar d africans n blacks in europe n america not comin home despite d terrible situation de face dia? Even bein bombed.

1 Like

Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by adekola02(m): 8:30am On Jul 10, 2016
abeg if there white people pays dem with cash..... den am in joooor..... just gat to live dis country
Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by Nobody: 8:34am On Jul 10, 2016
BLACKS generally care nothing for their education or self-preservation... they used to be great.. now they are just cheap animals
Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by Nobody: 10:35am On Jul 10, 2016
The pictures are annoying, but brain washed Africans are more annoying.

Anyway. There is nothing that happens on this earth that goes unrewarded.
Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by fr3do(m): 10:35am On Jul 10, 2016
whites have always been scared of Blacks since the beginning of time, that is why they tried so hard to paint blacks as inferior and themselves as superior, if one is truly superior they don't need to prove it.

let's leave these pasts behind (especially the ones where we failed) and look towards now and the future.

3 Likes

Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by Nobody: 10:41am On Jul 10, 2016
shey bi charm dey for africa,make we go use de charm avenge wetin dem do for our forefathers.shey bi charm dey for africa,make we go use de charm avenge wetin dem do for our forefathers.shey bi charm dey for africa,make we go use de charm avenge wetin dem do for our forefathers.
Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by policy12: 10:52am On Jul 10, 2016
Will you blame the white men, when the so called leaders sorry looters of Africa have refuse to see anything good in developing the continent. Let ask ourselves and be truthful to each other has anything change? Now everyday we read hw African are migrating from the continent to Europe for green pastures since nothing has change.

To me let blame our leaders first before will blame the white. Imagine a country like naija don't be surprise if it's still the British that is ruling us there is tendency we won't be talking about issues of basic need again, but here we are after 56yrs and 100yrs of almgamation we are not there yet.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by Kalaldi: 12:08pm On Jul 10, 2016
The only recognition or honour the blackman gets,is from the blackmen themselves,but we are always struggling to be recognised by the whites.what a deplorable mindset?
Re: REVIEW: Shameful Pictures Of Europeans Placing African People In Human Zoos. by Freddy02: 12:46pm On Jul 10, 2016
RACISTS Dats wot dose whites are I swear I was given opportunity I would cut off all their stinking head

(1) (2) (Reply)

Things Most Of Us Think Are The Same But Actually Aren't / University Of Ibadan 2008/2009 Admissions / 2013/2014 MUSTE SCHOLARSHIP - Undergraduate And Postgraduate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.