Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,776 members, 7,798,589 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:49 AM

July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened (47315 Views)

OAU JULY 10 1999 Massacre: Share Your Experience And Thought / Survivor Of July 10, 1999 OAU Massacre Shares Experience / A Message From Uniport SUG (what actually happened) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by okonja(m): 11:58am On Jul 10, 2016
Fourwinds:
take ur time...wetin be ur own self...

dont Nigeria celebrate her independence every year.. if I slap u .Oga Seun go hear for e office...shooo.

No vex oh!, thought we are on the same side... grin
Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by YOLO1(m): 12:00pm On Jul 10, 2016
Professor Makanjuola Rogers still the best VC on OAU campus. RIP Afrika and others

2 Likes

Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by StOla: 12:04pm On Jul 10, 2016
Nino9:
on channels??

Yep!

Channels went to Ife the next day to cover ongoings in the university. They also covered the mass burial that the students organised for some of the victims.
Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by letsbet(m): 12:11pm On Jul 10, 2016
Scatterscatter:
Only OAU students both current and past will understand the importance of this story.

Throughout my academic stay in OAU never for once did I fear any cult attack neither did I receive any threat from anyone. It was so unusual even tho it used to be the norm.

OAU students stood in unity and fought Campus Cultism to a halt. This shows the importance and strength in speaking with one voice and fighting together for a just course.

Say no to Cultism , it is a killer of dream and purpose!!!

AFRIKA died a legend,
his blood was shed
so others' can be spared
He died on his bed even if it was gory
But I'm sure he definitely lives on in his glory.

LIVE ON AFRIKA

Pardon my ignorance but who is Africa?

1 Like

Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by mamajaz(f): 12:11pm On Jul 10, 2016
I came here, I checked the names of the Legends (alive and dead), I checked the names of the offenders too and I nodded...
I refused to be banned. RIP "AFRIKA", they don't make your likes again!

2 Likes

Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by fullblast(m): 12:20pm On Jul 10, 2016
....Hmmmmnnnn!
I remembered how we all cried profusely with FARO IDRiS(sug pro) when he was narrating to us how Africa's head was dismembered. I remember it was in front of bus-sttop shed in front of Moz hall around 6:00am...then d twists of events dt led to arrests, burial...etc. It's just too much.

As I write,My hand still shakes n my heart still palpitates with enormity n intensity of the pain of 17yrs ago.
My heart goes out to the bereaved(families n OAU) Lanre legacy, I salute

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by olanshile2016(m): 12:33pm On Jul 10, 2016
refiner:
embarassed
*bows down and weep*

see my then candidate,oya take handkerchief
Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by tushbobo(m): 12:34pm On Jul 10, 2016
ucheo:
Every year this story will resurface again. Is it being told to remind the families of the dead ones or brush the ego of the cultist.?
In the 90s and early 2000 stories of killings and unfortunate death filled every where mostly in the east and south south of which this story is way below the ladder of the wanton destructions caused .
This story is painting of a pix where some of our young ones will start liking cultist life rather than the opposite.
Lets give the dead a break to RIP.

This issue actually made cultism less attractive to students in OAU and other campuses. There was an activity increase in clubs and the likes but less in cults.
The serenity on OAU campus after 1999 is better experienced than imagined.

1 Like

Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jul 10, 2016
May their killers know no peace! Rest on comrades!

1 Like

Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by Lascode(m): 12:53pm On Jul 10, 2016
so sad.injustice has bin existing in Nigeria for ages.God help us.
Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by Empredboy(m): 12:55pm On Jul 10, 2016
Pedagogue:
My account of events before and after the sad day is on many threads.

To sum it up in the shortest summary possible, July 10, 1999 was about 'Freedom'. The people that invaded Ife and their cohorts wanted their own warped idea of 'Freedom'.

Although they won the battle (because they silenced the voice of Afrika), they however lost the war.

From that day on, Ife became totally Free from all semblances of cultism. The invaders and their allies underestimated the collective will of Great Ife students.

Let it be told, every time, that IFE remains the only Tertiary University in Nigeris where students collectively conquered cultism.
plz don't say great ife but say greatest ife
Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by tushbobo(m): 12:55pm On Jul 10, 2016
okonja:

I wonder oh!...dunno the essence of repeating it annually. undecided

17 years ago. Do you know some people that were not born then are now in universities. How will they know their history if we do not document it and tell them. History repeats itself because people do not learn.

6 Likes

Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by Empredboy(m): 12:56pm On Jul 10, 2016
AFRIKA was unlucky because he was dead drunk and had slept in his room when the attack struck

1 Like

Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by Pappyshoes(m): 1:01pm On Jul 10, 2016
It was a horrible night, I was in RM 4 Awo Hall. I had to hide under a 2&1/2 double bunk bed with two of my room mates. The boys passed through our corridor shooting several times. We were saved amidst lots of casualties. RIP to Africa & CO. It became more painful seeing his parents very sad in Iwo during burial right. Pathetic. Never Again.

1 Like

Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by Empredboy(m): 1:02pm On Jul 10, 2016
hallelluyah:
It was a tragic experience on that unforgettable terrific midnight. Everyone stood the chance of being killed. I jumped out of my room ONNLY with nika in my body as gun shots were being heard from here and there and we were running hecter sceta, some ran to straight bullets and we're hit. That was my most terrifying moment in life, never wish to remember it again!
i was in angola hall then as 100 level, my room was block K room 6. I/we ran into the bush with looking at where l/we were going to
Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by greenify: 1:02pm On Jul 10, 2016
I read this story every year and I love d way they post it annually. It makes me remember my friends who attended d kegite gyration on d day d bad incident occurred. Thank God they came back alive but d stories they told us when they came back was horror.
I can't forget d story of how he jumped over d fence, running and falling on top human faeces and stinking like fresh shit. He said he was not even bother about d shit but to survive.
Some even hid themselves in girls hostel in other to survive.
Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by Olalan(m): 1:11pm On Jul 10, 2016
Sad remembrance but looking at the other side they did not die in vain. Their gruesome murder led to the peace OAU enjoys today cultwise. And this also shows how powerful our collective will can be if we seek to achieve a thing. Zero tolerance to cultism in OAU since then still stands till date.

2 Likes

Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by Dindondin(m): 1:14pm On Jul 10, 2016
ucheo:
Every year this story will resurface again. Is it being told to remind the families of the dead ones or brush the ego of the cultist.?
In the 90s and early 2000 stories of killings and unfortunate death filled every where mostly in the east and south south of which this story is way below the ladder of the wanton destructions caused .
This story is painting of a pix where some of our young ones will start liking cultist life rather than the opposite.
you are wrong.
The wise youth ll know that cult is death.
This story is to remind us that the light ll still prebsil over evil.
Afrika & his colleagues may be dead today. But they are never forgotten.
It ll not be well for a cultist.

1 Like

Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by okonja(m): 1:27pm On Jul 10, 2016
tushbobo:

17 years ago. Do you know some people that were not born then are now in universities. How will they know their history if we do not document it and tell them. History repeats itself because people do not learn.

Now that they know, what's the economic importance? undecided
Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by Leitner: 1:38pm On Jul 10, 2016
okonja:

You are simply put,an |d|ot!.

Were you born feet first?

How can any sane human being ask why someone who died fighting a just cause is being remembered?

RIP to AFRIKA and all other fallen heroes.
They might have won the BATTLE that day, but great Ife as a whole eventually won the WAR.

10 Likes

Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by StOla: 1:51pm On Jul 10, 2016
okonja:

So your grouse is that this historic account of events hold no economic value?

1 Like

Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by Fadahunsi(m): 1:54pm On Jul 10, 2016
okonja:

I wonder oh!...dunno the essence of repeating it annually. undecided

This is what you should do:.....

i. Look for a dictionary
ii. Look out for the words "legacy" and "achievement" and find out what the words mean

iii. Ask yourself if what these guys accomplished in IFE qualifies to be any of such words

iv. Also ask yourself if you've done anything that can be categorized in one or any of the two words.

.....only then would you b able to understand why we've refused to let the "dead" rest in this case...

8 Likes

Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by gbemmy2k10(m): 1:54pm On Jul 10, 2016
StOla:

una gt time o. some posts na read and pass, no need quote
Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by butanep(m): 1:58pm On Jul 10, 2016
I was not a student of OAU but I got to hear the story during my service year. That story make me search for the movie called " Omo University " where the story was fully narrated. Tears was rolling down my cheek that very day. I was so sober. Afrika was a great guy. Someone who stood to fight a just course.

I wept more when he was shot and be-headed... Oooo what has he done to deserve death... but his blood was the sacrifices paid to eradicate cultism from OAU and other universities. Ever since then, there was a total war against cultism and they couldn't come out open to display themselves.

Injustice is what has kept Nigeria in this rotten state till now. No fair judgement in every sphere of the Nation.

RIP Afrika... Your type comes once in a century.

4 Likes

Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by Iamabraham(m): 2:19pm On Jul 10, 2016
RIP to the warriors.

People (I inclusive) have enjoyed and are still enjoying the benefits of your sacrifice.

Say no to cultism
God bless OAU.

1 Like

Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by emmydsife(m): 2:22pm On Jul 10, 2016
When pple remrmber their loved ones that passed on, is it to give kudos to death or to reflect on the life they lived and legacies left behind. Pls receive sense and stop being naive. AFRIKA LIVES ON...

ucheo:
Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by hallelluyah(m): 2:23pm On Jul 10, 2016
fullblast:
....Hmmmmnnnn!
I remembered how we all cried profusely with FARO IDRiS(sug pro) when he was narrating to us how Africa's head was dismembered. I remember it was in front of bus-sttop shed in front of Moz hall around 6:00am...then d twists of events dt led to arrests, burial...etc. It's just too much.

As I write,My hand still shakes n my heart still palpitates with enormity n intensity of the pain of 17yrs ago.
My heart goes out to the bereaved(families n OAU) Lanre legacy, I salute

My brother, it was a horrific event, I totally agree with you. I still have a scar in my hand where I got injured while some of us were trying to climb Awo fence into the bush, with a support of a fallen tree. Ojo buruku esu gbomimu! The heavy gun shots were coming from left and right and so one knew exactly where to run to and that's why some were hit with straight bullets on that day.

2 Likes

Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by gbemmy2k10(m): 2:26pm On Jul 10, 2016
butanep:
I was not a student of OAU but I got to hear the story during my service year. That story make me search for the movie called " Omo University " where the story was fully narrated. Tears was rolling down my cheek that very day. I was so sober. Afrika was a great guy. Someone who stood to fight a just course.

I wept more when he was shot and be-headed... Oooo what has he done to deserve death... but his blood was the sacrifices paid to eradicate cultism from OAU and other universities. Ever since then, there was a total war against cultism and they couldn't come out open to display themselves.

Injustice is what has kept Nigeria in this rotten state till now. No fair judgement in every sphere of the Nation.

RIP Afrika... Your type comes once in a century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJBh8TeNx2c
Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by kindredspirit(m): 2:35pm On Jul 10, 2016
Pedagogue:
My account of events before and after the sad day is on many threads.

To sum it up in the shortest summary possible, July 10, 1999 was about 'Freedom'. The people that invaded Ife and their cohorts wanted their own warped idea of 'Freedom'.

Although they won the battle (because they silenced the voice of Afrika), they however lost the war.

From that day on, Ife became totally Free from all semblances of cultism. The invaders and their allies underestimated the collective will of Great Ife students.

Let it be told, every time, that IFE remains the only Tertiary University in Nigeris where students collectively conquered cultism.

You spoke my mind bro.

On the 7th of July every year, members of the organisation called the EN.BEE.EM, a.k.a BLAK AX celebrate their " 7-7 Freedom Day". Some of their members even put up posts here on Nairaland to mark the day dedicated, ostensibly, to the "Freedom of the Black Man", the African man. I called out the Op of one of those posts because I had in mind the events of 1999, the painful murder of George Iwilade a.k.a "AFRIKA" and other comrades that the Blak AX "Freedom fighters" killed Ten years + three days on that day.

2 Likes

Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by okonja(m): 2:48pm On Jul 10, 2016
Seriously what happened was sad BUT this isn't necessary, you have passed out of the school and now in a new life....so focus on your new life...Dazzolundecided undecided
Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by okonja(m): 2:50pm On Jul 10, 2016
Leitner:

You are simply put,an |d|ot!.

Were you born feet first?

How can any sane human being ask why someone who died fighting a just cause is being remembered?

RIP to AFRIKA and all other fallen heroes.
They might have won the BATTLE that day, but great Ife as a whole eventually won the WAR.

Now that you remember the cause, what value as it add to you?...don't go and do better thing with your life to be remembered of.....Always bragging on old useless glory..tsheww

StOla:

So. Tell me, what have you gain from it now?. Instead of you to work on making your own impact, you are here beefing.

Fadahunsi:

This is what you should do:.....

i. Look for a dictionary
ii. Look out for the words "legacy" and "achievement" and find out what the words mean

iii. Ask yourself if what these guys accomplished in IFE qualifies to be any of such words

iv. Also ask yourself if you've done anything that can be categorized in one or any of the two words.

.....only then would you b able to understand why we've refused to let the "dead" rest in this case...

Now that you have refused, what have you gain? undecided.. Bro, go live your life n create your own legacy. Their time is past, you are present here...do what you can and stop dwelling unnecessarily on something that have gone. wink
Re: July 10 OAU Massacre; What Actually Happened by israelboy1(m): 3:08pm On Jul 10, 2016
is there a movie for this incidence..

the story is always new to me....whenever I read it...talking about the bravery of students...in those days...

not now...that...one will be threatened ...in the name of spill over or so....S.U.G is not same again

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

ASUU Strike: ASUU Seeks Public Opinion On Twitter / New Score Grading And CGPA System In Nigerian Universities / Cowbellpedia 2019: The Return Of Jessey Uche-Nwichi, The Mathematics Wizard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.