Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,873 members, 7,802,808 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:10 PM

UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' (27559 Views)

Obituary Of The 23-year-old UNIZIK Student Who Died From Malaria / Nigerian Guy Who Almost Died Of Drug Overdose Shares His Moving Story / You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by FlawlesRebirth02(f): 5:24pm On Jul 10, 2016
Well. What happened was a mess yehhh ••••but u shouldn't have carried d matter to social med••••doctors selfs de mk mistakes so don't personalize the matter•••one doctor don give me balle pain meds instead of ulcer(em say I no explan well•••wah to do) take heart son nd carry ur bussy body grammar speaking assSS and sit down
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by sureboykris(m): 5:24pm On Jul 10, 2016
Azithromycin and Ciorofloxacin are 2 different things. The young man has a right to be upset

2 Likes

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by lydiaosime: 5:25pm On Jul 10, 2016
Pele oooo, try n visit the hospital next time
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by babyfaceafrica: 5:28pm On Jul 10, 2016
God dey
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by prinsam30: 5:30pm On Jul 10, 2016
TheSPEAKER:

In what sense

In So Many Sense That Make No Sense To A Common Sense Senator

I hope ur clear
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by adewumiopeyemi(m): 5:32pm On Jul 10, 2016
THAnk GOD FOR UR LIFE cool cool cool cool
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by banmee(m): 5:35pm On Jul 10, 2016
Why are pharmacist prescribing drugs?

1 Like

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by saintdennis(m): 5:35pm On Jul 10, 2016
All I have learnt from this is that I need to marry a doctor or lawyer
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by doe: 5:38pm On Jul 10, 2016
The idiot should accept responsibility for his stupidity. The pharmacist recommended an alternative. You too it. You weren't forced.
Nigerians always looking for someone else to blame!
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by TheSPEAKER(m): 5:38pm On Jul 10, 2016
It will help a long way if proper measures are adopted by the concerned agencies to efficiently monitor the establishment of drug stores as well as ensuring qualified operators.

Meanwhile, we Nigeria's are used to prescribing drugs to ourselve while the chemist keeps bringing whatever you ask for in other for business of the day to move.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jul 10, 2016
banmee:
Why are pharmacist prescribing drugs?
you can tell that to the moon. you mean someone can not prescribe what they produced? Of course pharmacist prescribe and treat patients within their scope of competence.
That's what the medical doctors hate and why they are fighting very hard to scuttle the Pharm.D initiative but it's already late. The nod is being given by the NUC already.

4 Likes

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by cardoctor(m): 5:41pm On Jul 10, 2016
Pharmacists should never be allowed to prescribe drugs to any patient. It's a doctors responsibility. Doctors carry out extensive check ups to ascertain conditions that would make any medication favourable for an ailment. A pharmacists job is to dispense the medication as prescribed by a doctor.

@Op. You made the mistake of relying on a pharmacist for your prescription. Thank God it wasn't fatal.

4 Likes

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by saintdennis(m): 5:42pm On Jul 10, 2016
doe:
The idiot should accept responsibility for his stupidity. The pharmacist recommended an alternative. You too it. You weren't forced.

He isn't stupid.
You're just ignorant.

3 Likes

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Kenmoris22: 5:42pm On Jul 10, 2016
drered:
The young man really does have a right to be angry and aggrieved but he doesn't have the right to drag a whole profession in the mud for a 'perceived mistake' With this new information I believe he needs to come out and make an apology.
The post by sheggzy basically says it all
is ur type that make that kind of mistake

1 Like

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Kenmoris22: 5:44pm On Jul 10, 2016
TheSPEAKER:
Eeeeya sorry undecided. Bless God you're well. They'll propose compensation for the damages if they are civil enough.
for where for nigeria
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Neverquit(f): 5:45pm On Jul 10, 2016
undecided

If the prescription was from a doctor, she should have called that Dr to ask about changing it to a different one. If the Dr had refused, then she could have decided not to fill the prescription.

On the other hand, if it was self-medication, then she should have asked about his allergies, conditions etc. If she had done that, she would have avoided all the ish.

Medical professionals should all work as one team. Don't let arrogance make you kill people. Drs too make mistakes and should be willing to accept correction(s). If Demilade was not from a prominent family, he could have died and that Pharmacist would have continued to kill more people. So his situation helped to bring awareness. Hopefully, people will do due diligence before taking any drug.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Businessideas: 5:45pm On Jul 10, 2016
@DemiladR is a fraudster !! angry shocked Should be immediately arrested by the police!!

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Kenmoris22: 5:48pm On Jul 10, 2016
Sunofgod:
You've got your publicity and compensation - now go to hell and leave us.

Na your stupidity cause the whole wahala...
if u were in his shoes what will u do
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by hUmaneOne: 5:48pm On Jul 10, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:
The dude wanted a publicity stunt and he got it. l guess he has a deep seated hatred for pharmacists.
Dr's who also known so well are also there bashing pxicsts because they believe pxicsts are high jacking their patients. I for one will never give a quinolone for a respiratory tract infection. what for?
The problem is Dr's don't trust pxcists enough. The hate seeing patients talking to the pharmacists about their health and medications and also why they are fighting very hard to scuttle the Pharm.D initiative but it's already late. The nod is being given by the NUC already.

A pharmacist can never take the place of a doctor or as you said, Hijack their patients.. Roger that

3 Likes

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by TheSPEAKER(m): 5:53pm On Jul 10, 2016
Kenmoris22:
for where for nigeria

grin grin grin grin grin

But Bro when 9ja go civilise
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by vickylincon(m): 5:59pm On Jul 10, 2016
frenchwine:
I read the first thread but refused to comment in order not to appear biased. Now that he has shed more light on the matter I think I should say something :
> What the boy went through was a hypersensitivity reaction to Azithromycin which prompted the severe form of asthma attack called Status Asthmaticus. Note that even Ciprofloxacin can trigger such an attack.
>The pharmacist is wrong by switching his meds without the consent of his doctor who should know him better however, even a doctor could prescribe Azithromycin (what the pharmacist gave him) because that drug is better for the condition he complained of. Reason being that he has not had a previous episode of hypersensitivity to Azithromycin, he wouldn't be able to offer such history, so even a doctor can make such 'mistake'.
> The only error of the pharmacist is taking up the responsibility of prescription which shouldn't have been done, otherwise, the boy should hold his chill and thank his stars that this happened in a place like Lagos where there are facilities to manage status asthmaticus.
>Lastly, his parents should call him to order, he is constituting a nuisance on social media.
Though I'm a doctor, buh I'm showing some love to the pharmacists cos any doctor could make same 'mistake '.
my main problem is when some guys started blaming the guy, what if he has died?.. We won't be saying this.. We won't even know the real cause. Let call a spade a spade. The pharmacist was wrong
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by shyling(f): 6:00pm On Jul 10, 2016
which profession...you cute little murderers are worse than looters

drered:
The young man really does have a right to be angry and aggrieved but he doesn't have the right to drag a whole profession in the mud for a 'perceived mistake' With this new information I believe he needs to come out and make an apology.
The post by sheggzy basically says it all
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by vickylincon(m): 6:01pm On Jul 10, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:
The dude wanted a publicity stunt and he got it. l guess he has a deep seated hatred for pharmacists.
Dr's who also known so well are also there bashing pxicsts because they believe pxicsts are high jacking their patients. I for one will never give a quinolone for a respiratory tract infection. what for?
The problem is Dr's don't trust pxcists enough. The hate seeing patients talking to the pharmacists about their health and medications and also why they are fighting very hard to scuttle the Pharm.D initiative but it's already late. The nod is being given by the NUC already.
If you have nothing good to say please don't quote me and spew trash.
what if he died?.. Will you still be supporting them?.. Am not dragging any profession to the mud.. The pharmacist was wrong shikena

1 Like

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by sweet4(f): 6:04pm On Jul 10, 2016
Never intended to post a comment but can't hold myself any longer. I would have done the same. Am a pharmacist and I don't see anything wrong in changing the prescription from Ciprofloxacin to Azithromycin.But I would have the patient complete history and consent to do so plus I will call his doctor if there was a proper prescription .Do you know the ratio of pharmacist to patient that we have in Nigeria?More often you see these patients walk into a pharmacy in a hurry to pick a drug and tell you to forget about counselling. In civilised environment it should be reported to the phaemacovigilance department for proper documentation.How do you think FDA in the USA or NAFDAC in Nigeria come about banning some drugs or restricting their usage?This guy need to be flogged for tarnishing the image of this great profession.Above all thing he needs to acquire wisdom as I can see that he lacks it.#Asmenofhonour#

3 Likes

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by armadeo(m): 6:04pm On Jul 10, 2016
doe:

This isn't a smart statement. He listened to an individual more experienced than himself and you are saying nobody forced him.

Back to topic.

If he was prescribed ciprofloxacin and the pharmacist changed it then the pharmacist is at fault.

However I wouldnt lay the blame entirely on her because he may not be aware of his sensitivity to that drug and it could also have been prescribed by his doctor.

Thank God he is safe.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by TheSPEAKER(m): 6:05pm On Jul 10, 2016
prinsam30:

In So Many Sense That Make No Sense To A Common Sense Senator

I hope ur clear

Uhhhhh... no! Ok just re-type the comment more common sensibly. Maybe I'll be clear.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jul 10, 2016
vickylincon:
my main problem is when some guys started blaming the guy, what if he has died?.. We won't be saying this.. We won't even know the real cause. Let call a spade a spade. The pharmacist was wrong.....
I believe I pointed that out and laid emphasis on it.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by missKiffy(f): 6:08pm On Jul 10, 2016
Well said by remiamaka
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jul 10, 2016
vickylincon:
what if he died?.. Will you still be supporting them?.. Am not dragging any profession to the mud.. The pharmacist was wrong shikena
mind you, he walked into the pharmacy without a prescription and requested for ciprofloxacin to manage his asthma triggered by a bacteria infection but the pharmacist thought it wise that azithromycin is better suited for his condition. of course she was damn right. The patient reacted to the drug and I understand and share in his pain. The rnxs wasn't the fault of the pxcist as anyone can react adversely to drugs. what's now left is for that pxcist to report the reaction to the nearby pharmacovigilance center or NAFDAC.

1 Like

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by claremont(m): 6:21pm On Jul 10, 2016
The Pharmacist was right in the choice of medication, but wrong in the process by which the prescribed medication was substituted without confirming from the Prescriber. This patient should be thanking his stars that this incident has made him understand that he is severely allergic to the Macrolides. I know most of the Pharmacies around the Lekki axis, and they are all staffed by highly-qualified Pharmacists who are not out to make a quick buck.

1 Like

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by AreaFada2: 6:21pm On Jul 10, 2016
cardoctor:
Pharmacists should never be allowed to prescribe drugs to any patient. It's a doctors responsibility. Doctors carry out extensive check ups to ascertain conditions that would make any medication favourable for an ailment. A pharmacists job is to dispense the medication as prescribed by a doctor.

@Op. You made the mistake of relying on a pharmacist for your prescription. Thank God it wasn't fatal.
. Even in UK pharmacists can prescribe. Usually minor ailments. Even some nurses with special training can.

If the pharm swapped the prescription given by a doc, then it was wrong. He should have sent him back to the doc since the pharm doesn't have the full medical history.

Because the doc might have a reason for giving that particular antibiotic drug instead of the apparently superior one: allergy, resistance, etc.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Please Help....i Forget Things Easily These Days... / Covid-19: What Has The Global Pandemic Taught You? / Okonjo Iweala: Nigeria Might Get COVID-19 Vaccines From January 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.