Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,475 members, 7,781,386 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:38 PM

UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' (27535 Views)

Obituary Of The 23-year-old UNIZIK Student Who Died From Malaria / Nigerian Guy Who Almost Died Of Drug Overdose Shares His Moving Story / You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jul 10, 2016
vickylincon:
what if he died?.. Will you still be supporting them?.. Am not dragging any profession to the mud.. The pharmacist was wrong shikena
ideally there should have been a form of collaboration between the pharmacist and his doctor but mind you, he walked into the pharmacy without a prescription and requested for ciprofloxacin to manage his asthma triggered by a bacteria infection but the pharmacist thought it wise that azithromycin is better suited for his condition. of course she was damn right. The patient reacted to the drug and I understand and share in his pain. The rnxs wasn't the fault of the pxcist as anyone can react adversely to drugs. what's now left is for that pxcist to report the reaction to the nearby pharmacovigilance center or NAFDAC.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by banmee(m): 6:28pm On Jul 10, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:

you can tell that to the moon. you mean someone can not prescribe what they produced? Of course pharmacist prescribe and treat patients within their scope of competence.
That's what the medical doctors hate and why they are fighting very hard to scuttle the Pharm.D initiative but it's already late. The nod is being given by the NUC already.

It is because you are limited to the scope of your experiences and knowledge which is why you can make that comment. Pharmacists have no business prescribing medication. Only doctors can diagnose symptoms which is why they should be the one prescribing medication. You don't know because of the lawless way Nigerians are used to do things. This is why every tom, d.ick and Harry can walk into a pharmacy in Nigeria and self medicate. Try it in a normal country and see if you won't be going to jail.

2 Likes

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by vickylincon(m): 6:31pm On Jul 10, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:

mind you, he walked into the pharmacy without a prescription and requested for ciprofloxacin to manage his asthma triggered by a bacteria infection but the pharmacist thought it wise that azithromycin is better suited for his condition. of course she was damn right. The patient reacted to the drug and I understand and share in his pain. The rnxs wasn't the fault of the pxcist as anyone can react adversely to drugs. what's now left is for that pxcist to report the reaction to the nearby pharmacovigilance center or NAFDAC.
same thing happened to me during my service year in Imo state, I was sick and a pharmacist gave me sudrex unknowingly to me that it contains chloroquine.. After scratching my body.. He begged me and gave me arthemether
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by doe: 6:33pm On Jul 10, 2016
armadeo:

This isn't a smart statement. He listened to an individual more experienced than himself and you are saying nobody forced him.

Back to topic.

If he was prescribed ciprofloxacin and the pharmacist changed it then the pharmacist is at fault.

However I wouldnt lay the blame entirely on her because he may not be aware of his sensitivity to that drug and it could also have been prescribed by his doctor.

Thank God he is safe.

No. I disagree. He reacted to the alternative. The pharmacist won't know that. He the patient should have insisted on his tried and tested drug.
Moreover there is no regulations of drugs in Nigeria. Everyone self prescribe and take advice from all sorts. The end result is usually this. If the patient had a valid prescription then the pharmacy would be to blame.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by doe: 6:37pm On Jul 10, 2016
saintdennis:

He isn't stupid.
You're just ignorant.

You are equally ignorant. Is self prescription not stupid?
The pharmacist didn't force him to take the recommendation. So his stupidity.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by lepasharon(f): 6:39pm On Jul 10, 2016
A pharmacist job is to dispense drugs. They do not diagnose or prescribe.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jul 10, 2016
Then he should take the pharmacist store to court and stop acting like a kid. Thats why pharmacists have malpractice insurance without which you can't practice.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by okooloyun1(m): 6:46pm On Jul 10, 2016
Toluwani111:
GREAT NAIRALANDERS!

please Advice me

I want to buy a android phone with quality camera, long last battery, rugged, 4.5 inches or 5 inches, removable battery, Can carry large number of applications
Which one best suites that specifications.
NB: my budget is #15,000- #18,000
kindly QUOTE ME with your suggestion.
Thanks
Buy tecno L5
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jul 10, 2016
drered:
The young man really does have a right to be angry and aggrieved but he doesn't have the right to drag a whole profession in the mud for a 'perceived mistake' With this new information I believe he needs to come out and make an apology.
The post by sheggzy basically says it all
You say perceived mistake, you obviously don't know what Status Asthmaticus mean. Its like euphysema for the young. I have a sister that had Asthma and I can relate. 29hrs man... He has every right to be angry.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jul 10, 2016
banmee:

It is because you are limited to the scope of your experiences and knowledge which is why you can make that comment. Pharmacists have no business prescribing medication. Only doctors can diagnose symptoms which is why they should be the one prescribing medication. You don't know because of the lawless way Nigerians are used to do things. This is why every tom, d.ick and Harry can walk into a pharmacy in Nigeria and self medicate. Try it in a normal country and see if you won't be going to jail.
listen! everyone including the medical doctors have their area of competence so it's not about someone being limited in knowledge. Of course, pharmacists don't know it but know a whole lot about so many things and even more about what's being discussed.
Maybe your own Nigeria is abnormal not mine. even in the advanced nations you referred to, pharmacist are still allowed to prescribe within their area of competence but if you are not comfortable with pharmacists prescribing in Nigeria you can initiate the process in the national assembly and who knows the cat might finally be let out of the bag.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jul 10, 2016
banmee:

Go to Jail for self medication? save for very few countries thats not even true on all levels.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by banmee(m): 6:51pm On Jul 10, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:

listen! everyone including the medical doctors have their area of competence so it's not about someone being limited in knowledge. Of course, pharmacists don't know it but know a whole lot about so many things and even more about what's being discussed.
Maybe your own Nigeria is abnormal not mine. even in the advanced nations you referred to, pharmacist are still allowed to prescribe within their area of competence but if you are not comfortable with pharmacists prescribing in Nigeria you can initiate the process in the national assembly and who knows the cat might finally be let out of the bag.

Lol. Like i said, come and do it here and see if you will not go to jail. There are over-the-counter drugs which you can purchase as an individual. But, when someone else recommends you a drug, that person opens him/herself up for liability in a civil court if things go wrong. This is why only doctors are the only one's allowed to do so. You are used to the Nigerian way of doing things. Carry on.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by banmee(m): 6:51pm On Jul 10, 2016
jammy12:

Go to Jail for self medication? save for very few countries thats not even true on all levels.

Did you read the OP's post. The pharmacist recommended the drug for him. That is not self medication.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 10, 2016
lepasharon:
A pharmacist job is to dispense drugs. They do not diagnose or prescribe.

banmee:

Lol. Like i said, come and do it here and see if you will not go to jail. There are over-the-counter drugs which you can purchase as an individual. But, when someone else recommends you a drug, that person opens him/herself up for liability in a civil court if things go wrong. This is why only doctors are the only one's allowed to do so. You are used to the Nigerian way of doing things. Carry on.

madams....pharmacist do prescribe. They even give injections; atleast in Canada. Except canada is no longer a developed country
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jul 10, 2016
doe:

but do you know there's something call responsible self medication? not everything about self mediation is bad especially when one has a chronic condition.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jul 10, 2016
banmee:

I guess you live in Afghanistan? you write as if pharmacists are not liable to be sued. do you know the grave responsibility on pharmacists?
Please don't drag me to your level.

1 Like

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by tunjijones(m): 6:55pm On Jul 10, 2016
frenchwine:

Not wanting to bring back sad memories, buh what really happened?
I'm not out to defend them either

No problem bro. We have all gone past it. My dad came to visit my sis in Ibadan. Hale and hearted. Then my sis said dad shd go for general medical check up in UCH. The doctors left the interns to attend to him. The interns administered wrong drugs. This led to dads demise.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jul 10, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:

ideally there should have been a form of collaboration between the pharmacist and his doctor but mind you, he walked into the pharmacy without a prescription and requested for ciprofloxacin to manage his asthma triggered by a bacteria infection but the pharmacist thought it wise that azithromycin is better suited for his condition. of course she was damn right. The patient reacted to the drug and I understand and share in his pain. The rnxs wasn't the fault of the pxcist as anyone can react adversely to drugs. what's now left is for that pxcist to report the reaction to the nearby pharmacovigilance center or NAFDAC.
You should know that every profession have code of conduct. If this guy carries this thing to court, all this explanations will not save the pharmacist. Even right now, it is only God that will save her so they don't seize her license.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by banmee(m): 6:58pm On Jul 10, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:

I guess you live in Afghanistan ?

How the hell did you know? You must be psychic.

1 Like

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jul 10, 2016
tunjijones:

No problem bro. We have all gone past it. My dad came to visit my sis in Ibadan. Hale and hearted. Then my sis said dad shd go for general medical check up in UCH. The doctors left the interns to attend to him. The interns administered wrong drugs. This led to dads demise.
In a developed country, a pharmacist could have easily detected the error and refuse to dispense the wrong drug. But in Nigeria, power tussles within the healthcare system won't let the pharmacist speak up. May his soul continue to rest in peace.

2 Likes

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by banmee(m): 7:01pm On Jul 10, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:

I guess you live in Afghanistan? you write as if pharmacists are not liable to be sued. do you know the grave responsibility on pharmacists?
Please don't drag me to your level.

Lol. I keep saying the problem with Nigerians is not it's leadership. It is it's citizens. They just don't know the normal way of doing things. Which is why everything is completely upside down.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jul 10, 2016
banmee:

Did you read the OP's post. The pharmacist recommended the drug for him. That is not self medication.
No no, he came for Ciprofla... (Abeg that thing is long) and an asthma pump, which is like the standard for asthma patients. Even me I know that drug. But the pharmacist gave him an alternative since she did not have what he came for. So there was no self medication anywhere in this story. I am merely commenting on you saying self medication lands one in jail
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jul 10, 2016
jammy12:

You should know that every profession have code of conduct. If this guy carries this thing to court, all this explanations will not save the pharmacist. Even right now, it is only God that will save her so they don't seize her license.
Ok! so she already breached the ethics of pharmacy practice? Get your facts right bro.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jul 10, 2016
banmee:

It is like we are on the same side grin
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jul 10, 2016
tunjijones:

That's painful. Very.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jul 10, 2016
jammy12:

No no, he came for Ciprofla... (Abeg that thing is long) and an asthma pump, which is like the standard for asthma patients. Even me I know that drug. But the pharmacist gave him an alternative since she did not have what he came for. So there was no self medication anywhere in this story. I am merely commenting on you saying self medication lands one in jail
what's ciprofloxacin that the pharmacist cannot stock in her premises? she only gave him better alternative.

1 Like

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by banmee(m): 7:10pm On Jul 10, 2016
jammy12:

Which is why i said only doctors can prescribe. Here's how we do it. Your doctor writes you your prescription and the pharmacist gives you the drug. If he doesn't have it, you go back and the DOCTOR prescribes another one for you. Not the pharmacist.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 10, 2016
This guy is an idiot,Pride is simply and silently killing you,so u better change your ways and stop posting trash here if u do not want Nairalanders to comment what they think/feel about ur complains
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 10, 2016
princey83:

In a developed country, a pharmacist could have easily detected the error and refuse to dispense the wrong drug. But in Nigeria, power tussles within the healthcare system won't let the pharmacist speak up. May his soul continue to rest in peace.
did you read what was posted at all?
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jul 10, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:

Ok! so she already breached the ethics of pharmacy practice? Get your facts right bro.
YES OF COURSE, She breached it, Jesus Christ. I don't understand you, you feel she did not?
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jul 10, 2016
jammy12:

YES OF COURSE, She breached it, Jesus Christ. I don't understand you, you feel she did not?
it's alright!
why not go ahead and sue her?
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by saintdennis(m): 7:21pm On Jul 10, 2016
doe:

Nah...you're unapologetically ignorant... continue exhibiting it.

If I take coartem cos I know it works for me and upon request a pharmacist tells me he's got a better one, he is supposed to lecture me on the drug administration and side effects.

In naija they only tell u administration (dosage) and tell u bye-bye.

Your ignorance stems from an "ITK" mentality it ain't your fault sha. It's the black man's curse

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

25% Of Coronavirus Carriers Don't Show Symptoms But Can Still Spread Virus / Celebrating One Year Of Abstinence From Sugary Drinks / Demystifying The Mysterious Disease In Ondo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.