Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,797 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:38 AM

My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market (13135 Views)

How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? / Ordeals Of A Nigerian Job Seeker In Pictures / Dear Nigerian Job Interviewers, Please Stop Stressing Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by ArcFresky(m): 1:34pm On Jul 10, 2016
Recently became employed and i wish to share my experiences.
  I graduated from a renowned Nigerian instution with a 2.1 in architecture and a 4. Cgpa in masters. My skills included knolwledge in almost all relevant architectural software and general computing, so job humt must be easy right?

;DHowever i wanted a job by searching on my own. this led me to scurrying through jobberman, texing and mailing numerous online firms, calling various firms listed in the registered architects booklet.

I got some offers, but the pay and work environment was discouraging.   After 2 weeks of looking... I humbly went back to my dad (who i had earlier refused his offer)  and just like magic, got a call from a nice firm to come and start work asap.

Anyways the point is.

1. Jobberman is now crap.. Nigerians have spoilt it with spam (got a lotta fake mails, plus jobberman kept advertising a cv rewrite (5k)  and online courses.

2. Jobs are near u. Check online using google maps or directories. For example i used archon register of architects, Gave me a localised list of numbers and mails

3. C.V's? Crap....show them what u can offer... c.v is just a formality. Peeps at my workplace havent even seen my C.V.

3. C.v's are good, but are better with connections.... Find an influential person and disturb the crap out of his/her life.

4. Be humble and honest. Ur cv is probably not the best, plus honesty pays...

5. Pray pray pray..

80 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by Ukeachu1(m): 2:07pm On Jul 10, 2016
can u meet ur dad on my behalf. make this testimony make sense wella

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by abimbawealth(f): 2:54pm On Jul 10, 2016
Hmmmmm
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jul 10, 2016
so in other sense....no connection no job

3 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by dexcira(f): 3:15pm On Jul 10, 2016
In phynos voice(enwem chineke nna bi na eligwe enwem connne). Op connect me na wink cheesy

12 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by ArcFresky(m): 5:33pm On Jul 10, 2016
The point is to be creative and back ur efforts with connections

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by Emmysteve(m): 8:26pm On Jul 10, 2016
CV is overrated.

1 Like

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by julioralph(m): 8:50pm On Jul 10, 2016
true talk bro...

to get a decent job in naija don turn to connections o angry but God dey sha

jobberman ehnn, just dey collect 5k for online courses, bla bla bla later na story

2 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jul 10, 2016
embarassed Op biko can I be your sister

4 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by ychris: 6:20am On Jul 11, 2016
C
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by duduade: 6:21am On Jul 11, 2016
Summary of all these...

Person must know someone to get a job in Nigeria...

4 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by Toluwani111: 6:22am On Jul 11, 2016
GREAT NAIRALANDERS!

please Advice me

I want to buy a android phone with quality camera, long last battery, rugged, 4.5 inches or 5 inches, removable battery, Can carry large number of applications
Which one best suites that specifications.
NB: my budget is #15,000- #20,000
kindly QUOTE ME with your suggestion.
Thanks
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by adewumiopeyemi(m): 6:22am On Jul 11, 2016
MAY GOD HELP US EVERY WERE jobberman is full of scam..no one to depend to nw...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by Sweetcollins: 6:24am On Jul 11, 2016
All those saying employ yourself. Have u considered some factors that need to be in place before starting...at least an enabling environ, small capital and no disturbances from all those hungry tax forces etc

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by delightz(m): 6:25am On Jul 11, 2016
......should i comment? ?
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by niceguy7(m): 6:27am On Jul 11, 2016
ArcFresky:
  I graduated from a renowned Nigerian instution with a 2.1 in architecture and a 4. Cgpa in masters. My skills included knolwledge in almost all relevant architectural software and general computing, so job humt must be easy right?

;DHowever i wanted a job by searching on my own. this led me to scurrying through jobberman, texing and mailing numerous online firms, calling various firms listed in the registered architects booklet.

I got some offers, but the pay and work environment was discouraging.   After 2 weeks of looking... I humbly went back to my dad (who i had earlier refused his offer)  and just like magic, got a call from a nice firm to come and start work asap.

Anyways the point is.

1. Jobberman is now crap.. Nigerians have spoilt it with spam (got a lotta fake mails, plus jobberman kept advertising a cv rewrite (5k)  and online courses.

2. Jobs are near u. Check online using google maps or directories. For example i used archon register of architects, Gave me a localised list of numbers and mails

3. C.V's? Crap....show them what u can offer... c.v is just a formality. Peeps at my workplace havent even seen my C.V.

3. C.v's are good, but are better with connections.... Find an influential person and disturb the crap out of his/her life.

5. Pray pray pray..

Need i say more? Op, u hv already said it all. It is high time our new undergraduate students hv to learn some vocational skills, after graduation when the white collar job isn't forth coming they will engage themselves and make cool cash.

1 Like

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by Sweetcollins: 6:29am On Jul 11, 2016
[quote author=Toluwani111 post=47417633]GREAT NAIRALANDERS!

please Advice me

I want to buy a android phone with quality camera, long last battery, rugged, 4.5 inches or 5 inches, removable battery, Can carry large number of applications
Thanks

Gionee Marathon E5 has d highest battery capacity as at January 2016
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by Chiscomax(m): 6:30am On Jul 11, 2016
Toluwani111:
GREAT NAIRALANDERS!

please Advice me

Thanks

7 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by ReabridCharles(m): 6:30am On Jul 11, 2016

5. Pray pray pray..

I don't see how prayer and honesty played a role in your recruitment.

Yours is a clear case of "Who you sabi"
Not everyone walks up to papa and just a dial away, an offer comes.
Some of us no even get papa.

Boss, thank you for your advise eh!
If to say you find work on your own, ur advise for change to testimony

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by pendusky(m): 6:31am On Jul 11, 2016
ArcFresky:

Anyways the point is.

5. Pray pray pray..

lol, Nice one... Congratulations...

self confidence. grin

BTW drink dey office make I show? grin

3 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by lonelydora: 6:33am On Jul 11, 2016
Chai...
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by Icon4s(m): 6:43am On Jul 11, 2016
Good for you op.

Not every1 will have a father that is that influential. I never had a father like such and thank God for where i am today.

Hardwork and due dilligence still pays.

U can still get a good job without knowing even a gate man.

Get ur good grades in school, prepare a very good CV, prepare for aptitude tests and apply for those jobs. Trust me, this seemingly trite method still works.

10 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by Toluwani111: 6:45am On Jul 11, 2016
[quote author=Sweetcollins post=47417762][/quote]
price ?
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by EternalBeing: 6:47am On Jul 11, 2016
Selfemployment is the best employment. Ask my igbo business men. Most of the Estates in Abuja are owned by igbos: Efab, Prince n Princess, Saharah 1,2,3 etc...

1 Like

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by olumaxi(m): 6:47am On Jul 11, 2016
Mtcheeeww U only job-hunted for 2 weeks....so,is dis a testimony or wat?...cos i stil dont get it

1 Like

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by Nobody: 6:48am On Jul 11, 2016
ArcFresky:

Anyways the point is.

5. Pray pray pray..

And the moral of the story is ?...... it's good to have a daddy with connections.

Off course everyone knows Jobberman is crap, samething with careers 24 .
@ job seekers try LinkedIn and info Nigeria jobs they are very good

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by Nobody: 6:49am On Jul 11, 2016
niceguy7:

Need i say more? Op, u hv already said it all. It is high time our new undergraduate students hv to learn some vocational skills, after graduation when the white collar job isn't forth coming they will engage themselves and make cool cash.
erm *scratches head* did you read what the OP wrote at all

8 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market by engrlarex(m): 6:50am On Jul 11, 2016
I agree with this Nigga

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview / Dangote Group Latest Job Recruitment (12 Positions) / BEDC Graduate Trainee Programme Requires Covid-19 Vaccination As A Pre-condition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.