Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:12 AM

South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. (2336 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu: "Buhari Is Not In Nigeria, Man From Sudan Impersonating Him" / Arthur Nzeribe Pictured At Gerald Irona's 51st Birthday Years After Death Rumors / What Biafra Would Look Like After Independence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by NOETHNICITY(m): 2:04pm On Jul 10, 2016
South Sudan on Saturday 9th of July, 2016 marks the day it
seceded from Sudan five years ago under the
leadership of Sudan People’s Liberation
Movement. The secession of S Sudan was made possible given the overwhelming support of Western nations.
The pple had every reason to be optimistic about the future. The independence was described by the pple as 'the final light at the end of the tunnel'. Sudan, believed to be the only clog on their part to greatness, finally removed.
However, shortly after independence in 2011, cracks within the ruling party started to appear. Political infighting
erupted, after the country’s President Salva Kiir
accused his vice president Riek Machar of an
attempted coup. Different groups took up arms marking the beginning of a brutal civil war that has ravaged the country and its economy resulting in tens of thousands of deaths of mainly women and children. Violence spread, killing thousands and displacing
close to half a million people to date.
It is important to state that some in S sudan ve called for the country to be reunited with the north given that tens of refugees are currently being sheltered and catered for by the North.
In August 2015 Kiir signed a peace deal (the
latest among a several that had been signed
before) that would see him and and Machar
reunite to work together in mending the country. However, the fighting has continued unabated, becoming increasingly brutal and affecting nearly the entire country with no end to the conflict in sight.
Now let's come home. As a bonafide indigene of the SS(my tribe not withstanding) I think I ve the inalienable right to air my hidden fears regarding the eventuality of a possible secession. Let me make it clear that I am not opposed to secession if its spearheaded by responsible, decent,non militant, morally upright well meaning pple of the Niger Delta. Corruption has proven to be a norm in our society. And everywhere corruption is prevalent there is injustice, societal strife and youth restiveness with its attendant threat of a violent implosion .
I m afraid to say that the SS states which make the core of the ND bears too many factors which characterise the situation in S sudan. From multiple ethnic groups to tens of different tribes. From institutionalised cultism to the dangerous trend of uncontrollable militancy. Militants and warlords have become so powerful that they ve become a force that cannot simply be dispelled when they re no longer needed. In the invent of a secession what then happens? Will they immediately convert to decent hard working pple in the society? How do we intend to appease their insatiable, unquenchable and glutonous appetite for free flowing money? How do we address the issue of heavy weapons that has already saturated our society?
I can keep going on and on but my fingers re tired already. That said, these are my salient fears. The unforgettable Ijaw-Itsekiri war, still fresh in mind, will be child's play if we secede under this very disorganised atmosphere characterised by lack of any structure on ground.
The post S sudan situation, an example to us, is worse, with reports saying that prices of goods and services have exploded since independence in 2011, with inflation currently flirting with 300% and a currency that has lost 90% of its value this year.
Thanks and happy sunday to u all.
To borrow the comment of the fellow underneath this post this is jus 'a food for thought'.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by general111(m): 2:07pm On Jul 10, 2016
Hmmmm..a food for thought..

1 Like

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by Ahmed0336(m): 2:13pm On Jul 10, 2016
general111:
Hmmmm..a food for thought..
honestly, Rightly Said @OP
Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by LordOfNaira: 2:14pm On Jul 10, 2016
Very Deep!!!!! He who has ears should hear this.

CC Lalasticlala, Mynd44 , OAM4J
Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by general111(m): 2:16pm On Jul 10, 2016
Ahmed0336:
honestly, Rightly Said @OP
ya
Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by hummerwise(m): 2:19pm On Jul 10, 2016
just watch out how those brainwashed Igbos come in here and start calling the op a yoruba man..
They will neva see anything good about this thread but as attack against their illusions...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by drss(m): 2:25pm On Jul 10, 2016
d major problem afflicting africa is dat certain tribes ar doing their best to dominate oda tribes n control govt. some tibes ar hell bend on domination because they tink they ar ''born to rule''. when domination n impunity is viral, d end result is violence. some african tribes in position of pawa ar so non challant dat they begin to use govt machinery to persecute oda tribes. who will tolerate dis nonsence no tribe will sit around n allow anoda tribe persecute n dominate dem in d name of governance. dis is d major problem of africa. dat is wat is happening in south sudan. dis conflicts happens when d political leaders n d pipul in general fail to come togeda n draft a working document dat will ensure dat no tribe under any guise is short change or discriminated in govt by anoda. when leaders fail to aticulate how each n every tribe within a con3 will coexist peacefully with odas with respect - violence will be d end game.
d different tribes dat makes up south sudan need to come togeda n fashion out how they ar going run a govt dat will reflect national unity n ensure every tribe is represented. they need to fashion out how they ar going to form a govt were every tribe will be treated equally without any form of domination. they need to com togeda n map out how they ar going to live peacefully with respect. only with dis initiative will south sudan experience a period of rebirth n peace.
but for wat is worth, south sudan is better off independent than when they were under sudan jaanj.awiids govt, under arab tribalist who tink they ar lords of sudan.
south sudan will come out stronger.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by clevadani: 2:25pm On Jul 10, 2016
op are you in my mind?
As someone who is part SS, the situation of South Sudan 6yrs ago is a mirror image of the present state of Niger Delta. Any secession that is not lead by intellectuals, will lead a South Sudan situation.
Those that sought for the balkanisation of Sudan, were just power hungry politicians who felt that their share of the proceeds from 'awa oil' were not enough. That is why they will keep fighting for the oil without any meaningful development.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jul 10, 2016
Thank God u said SS. Your people yaff spoil finish from free money. An account from someone from Ss said, occultism in Ss is like a primary school for every youth in SS. Even a 15 years old have means to access a gun.

BUT WHEN I LOOK AT MY DEAR BIAFRA, ALL I SEE IS HARDWORKING PEOPLE COMPROMISED BY SOME LAZY SECTION OF THE COUNTRY.

Take Okezie and Oga supremacy for power, how many political killings have started in Abia unlike Wike and Amaechi. Or will I forget the Anambra power tuzzle where Ngige was kidnapped and later released. All ended with smiling and everybody lived to continue his/her political Ambition.

The worst Mistake Ojukwu did was inclusion of some people In Biafra, though those people out rightly fought against him. He could have met those people and allow them unite with him in war to fight for their own Independence. But in conclusion When I mean Niger Delta I don't mean the Akwa iBomites, Cross rivers and The people from Calabar Those people are more Biafran than me from Anambra.

6 Likes

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by NOETHNICITY(m): 2:29pm On Jul 10, 2016
drss:
d major problem of africa is dat certain tribes ar trying their best to dominate others n control govt. no tribe will sit around n allow anoda tribe dominate dem. dat is wat is happening in south sudan. d different tribes in south sudan need to come togeda n fashion out how they ar going run a govt dat will reflect national unity n ensure every tribe is represented. but for wat is worth, south sudan is better off independent than when they were under sudan jaanj.awiids govt.
south sudan will come out stronger.
its easy for u to say that S sudan is better off the way it is, while u sit in the comfort of ur home. Put ursef in the pples shoes only then will u be able to see things from their perspective.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by ConqueredWest: 2:30pm On Jul 10, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
South Sudan on Saturday marks the day it
Movement. The secession of S Sudan was made possible given the overwhelming support of Western nations.
The pple had every reason to be optimistic about the future. The independence was described by the pple as 'the final light at the end of the tunnel'. Sudan, believed to be the only clog on their part to greatness, finally removed.
However, shortly after, cracks within the ruling party started to appear. Political infighting
attempted coup. Different groups took up arms and tens of thousands of pple ve died marking the beginning of a brutal civil war that has ravaged the country and its economy. Violence spread, killing thousands and displacing
It is important to state that some in S sudan ve called for the country to be reunited with the north given that tens of refugees are currently being sheltered and catered for by the North.
reunite to work together in mending the country. However, the fighting has continued unabated, becoming increasingly brutal and affecting nearly the entire country with no end to the conflict in sight.
Now let's come home. As a bonafide indigene of the SS(my tribe not withstanding) I think I ve the inalienable right to air my hidden fears regarding the eventuality of a possible secession. Let me make it clear that I am not opposed to secession if its spearheaded by responsible, decent,non militant, morally upright well meaning pple of the Niger Delta. Corruption has proven to be a norm in our society. And everywhere corruption is prevalent there is injustice, societal strife and youth restiveness with its attendant threat of a violent implosion .
I m afraid to say that the SS states which make the core of the ND bears too many factors which characterise the situation in S sudan. From multiple ethnic groups to tens of different tribes. From institutionalised cultism to the dangerous trend of uncontrollable militancy. Militants and warlords have become so powerful that they ve become a force that cannot simply be dispelled when they re no longer needed. In the invent of a secession what then happens? Will they immediately convert to decent hard working pple in the society? How do we intend to appease their insatiable, unquenchable and glutonous appetite for free flowing money? How do we address the issue of heavy weapons that has already saturated our society?
I can keep going on and on but my fingers re tired already. That said, these are my salient fears. The unforgettable Ijaw-Itsekiri war, still fresh in mind, will be child's play if we secede under this very disorganised atmosphere characterised by lack of any structure on ground.
The post S sudan situation, an example to us, is worse, with reports saying that prices of goods and services have exploded since independence in 2011, with inflation currently flirting with 300% and a currency that has lost 90% of its value this year.
To borrow the comment of the fellow underneath this post this is jus 'a food for thought'.

Typical write up by an AFONJA South West Nigeria grin

4 Likes

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by madridguy(m): 2:36pm On Jul 10, 2016
@ OP, Nice write up. I reserved my comment as I don't have time to respond back to mentions.

United We Stand.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA

1 Like

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jul 10, 2016
It's going to be another version of Nigeria, with many ethnic groups, the question here is who's going to control who, who's going to be majority and minority

2 Likes

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by NOETHNICITY(m): 2:48pm On Jul 10, 2016
ConqueredWest:

Typical write up by an AFONJA South West Nigeria grin
Bros must u copy the whole post jus to say this? U can go back and delete major part of the post b4 submitting. Even if na afonja what about the points raised in the post?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by cowgirl9090: 2:49pm On Jul 10, 2016
Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by drss(m): 2:50pm On Jul 10, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
its easy for u to say that S sudan is better off the way it is, while u sit in the comfort of ur home. Put ursef in the pples shoes only then will u be able to see things from their perspective.
wat south sudan is going through is not different from wat britain went through in 1640. they will come out stronger.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by NOETHNICITY(m): 2:52pm On Jul 10, 2016
drss:
wat south sudan is going through is not different from wat britain went through in 1640. they will come out stronger.
And Britain went back to the EU.

4 Likes

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by pilotab55(m): 2:53pm On Jul 10, 2016
Many pple tink d ss r fools, d present day delta state has sharing fomular.that is y d 3 senatorial district has become state governor. SS seccession is nt going to b lyk south sudan. Fear of d unknown. I rather take d risk than b a slave. We d SS sai NO More Banboo dey wrk Monkey dey Chop.

1 Like

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by Reminez(m): 2:54pm On Jul 10, 2016
That is why I tell some of my people that are pan southern Nigeria that in the event of the balkanization of Nigeria , the Yoruba's must be alone . There's no room for the south Sudan scenario .
Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jul 10, 2016
pilotab55:
Many pple tink d ss r fools, d present day delta state has sharing fomular.that is y d 3 senatorial district has become state governor. SS seccession is nt going to b lyk south sudan. Fear of d unknown. I rather take d risk than b a slave. We d SS sai NO More Banboo dey wrk Monkey dey Chop.
U just told us about delta state sharing formula, what about other ss states

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by drss(m): 3:23pm On Jul 10, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
And Britain went back to the EU.
which eu
Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by drss(m): 3:30pm On Jul 10, 2016
pilotab55:
true talk. better to be free dan lorded ova by certain pipul who tink dat government is their birthright. dis is d major disease afflicting sub saharan africa.
Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by SlayerSupreme: 3:49pm On Jul 10, 2016
[s]
hummerwise:
just watch out how those brainwashed Igbos come in here and start calling the op a yoruba man..
They will neva see anything good about this thread but as attack against their illusions...

[/s]
Complete balderdash. Nothing in the opening post has to do with Biafra. Extremely nothing. Keep your pains to yourself and don't derail the thread.

1 Like

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by NOETHNICITY(m): 3:51pm On Jul 10, 2016
hummerwise:

They ve started already.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by hummerwise(m): 3:52pm On Jul 10, 2016
SlayerSupreme:
[s][/s]
Complete balderdash. Nothing in the opening post has to do with Biafra. Extremely nothing. Keep your pains to yourself and don't derail the thread.
ode,,,just tell me the only seccessionist group in nigeria rite now...
renounced APODA!

2 Likes

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by hummerwise(m): 3:58pm On Jul 10, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
They ve started already.
lolzz...treat them with unseriousness even though they try to get or ur nerve or get yu upset..
they are just bunch of unseriou mouthies grin

1 Like

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by SlayerSupreme: 3:59pm On Jul 10, 2016
hummerwise:
ode,,,just tell me the only seccessionist group in nigeria rite now... renounced APODA!
Didinrin go and spit on someone else. NDA is a prayer group. Mofo!

1 Like

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by hummerwise(m): 4:05pm On Jul 10, 2016
SlayerSupreme:

Didinrin go and spit on someone else. NDA is a prayer group. Mofo!
NDA you said?
NDA we all know is another tool used by HYPOS to make Nigeria unstable..
NDA and HYPOS are all bunch off same phullish group.. grin grin

oponu aiyerada grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jul 10, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
South Sudan on Saturday marks the day it
However, shortly after, cracks within the ruling party started to appear. Political infighting
attempted coup. Different groups took up arms and tens of thousands of pple ve died marking the beginning of a brutal civil war that has ravaged the country and its economy. Violence spread, killing thousands and displacing
why did u not use Russia, Ukraine, Gambia, Senegal, Kosovo to give example? Why must it be people that are struggling that folks like you use

1 Like

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by drss(m): 6:00pm On Jul 10, 2016
DikeOha882:
why did u not use Russia, Ukraine, Gambia, Senegal, Kosovo to give example? Why must it be people that are struggling that folks like you use
i taya for am. him even fail to mention sebia n montenegro, bosnia n hev of former yugoslavia.

1 Like

Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by size40: 6:54pm On Jul 10, 2016
ugohemma:
Thank God u said SS. Your people yaff spoil finish from free money. An account from someone from Ss said, occultism in Ss is like a primary school for every youth in SS. Even a 15 years old have means to access a gun.

BUT WHEN I LOOK AT MY DEAR BIAFRA, ALL I SEE IS HARDWORKING PEOPLE COMPROMISED BY SOME LAZY SECTION OF THE COUNTRY.

Take Okezie and Oga supremacy for power, how many political killings have started in Abia unlike Wike and Amaechi. Or will I forget the Anambra power tuzzle where Ngige was kidnapped and later released. All ended with smiling and everybody lived to continue his/her political Ambition.

The worst Mistake Ojukwu did was inclusion of some people In Biafra, though those people out rightly fought against him. He could have met those people and allow them unite with him in war to fight for their own Independence. But in conclusion When I mean Niger Delta I don't mean the Akwa iBomites, Cross rivers and The people from Calabar Those people are more Biafran than me from Anambra.
Every section of Nigeria is very corrupt, greedy and wicked. Let's take for instance, under OBJ's tenure when d post of senate president was zoned to d south east, in 8years, all d states in d south east tested that position because of greed, hatred for each other. It all started with Evans Ewerem from IMO state, to Chuba Okadibo from Anambra, to Adolphus Wagbara from Abia state, then to Pius Ayim from Ebonyi and finally to Ken Nnamani from Enugu state in just space of 8 years. So if there is Biafra today in d south east, there will be corruption, hatred and war among them. Not to talk of my south south being included.
Re: South Sudan: 5 Years After Independence, Lessons To Learn. by omenka(m): 7:34pm On Jul 10, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
That is the point. Most of these people beating the drums of war on social media are people with no experience whatsoever of anything close to WAR, not even an armed robbery attack!

Aljazeera featured S Sudan on Inside Story this morning and I couldn't believe the pictures I saw, coupled with what the guests of the programme were saying- it is just soo unfortunate, especially given the fanfare and pomp with which they celebrated the birth of the young country five years ago.

Like you said, any "liberation" birthed by warlords would give rise to nothing but a balcanised entity with centrifugal forces battling for supremacy everywhere you look.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Check Out The Song That Made Igbos Rise After Biafra / BREAKING! Protest At Abuja Court Over Nnamdi Kanu's Secret Trial (happening Now) / Nigeria’s Split Will Be Painful To Global Community – Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.