Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,103 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:11 PM

How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko (26246 Views)

Oukitel Releases Clone Of Iphone X That Costs Less Than N60,000 - Oukitel U18 / Oraimo To Curb Fake Phone Accessories In The Nigerian Market / How To Spot A Fake SD Card (memory Card) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by DesChyko: 10:49am On Jul 11, 2016
You've decided to give yourself a treat by getting yourself a quality device with your hard-earned money. HTC, Samsung, Sony, iPhone, e.t.c. all come to mind. Whether new or old, as long as you're not buying directly from the service outlet of such companies or their authorized distributors, you're in the danger of losing your cash for next-to-nothing.

A clone is a phone that LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE the phone of your dreams, but it is NOT the phone of your dreams. With a layman's knowledge, it's hard to believe it's different until you are told. So, let's run down five sure ways of identifying 'Clones'.

1. CHEAPER: Clones are cheaper than the real devices. You can compare prices for new and used phones online, from official or knowledgeable sources, before you hit the market. Two weeks ago, I witnessed a lady bargaining for fairly-used Samsung S5 for #13,000 but the seller was like 'This is Original London Used. I can't sell it less than #15,000.' and they haggled on. If only she knew fairly used Samsung S5 costs about #50,000, give or take a few.

2. BOOT LOGO: The boot logo is the picture of the manufacturers' name the phone shows when you put it on..or off. Now, the 'smart' Clones will show you exactly what you want to see, but when you do a 'factory reset', an option under Settings, you will see the real manufacturers when you turn it on..or off. I was in this Delta Line bus waiting to leave the park, when the pastor praying told the guy sitting beside me that his Sony Xperia is a clone (he actually said 'fake'). The guy disbelieved him, but when he pulled out the battery, he saw indeed that the name on the battery and under it was 'XBO' instead of Sony. He still disbelieved, arguing that it shows 'Sony' when he turns it on. When the pastor was about to drop off, he told the guy to do a factory reset and see what happens to the 'Sony' logo. The guy did this, and when the phone came on again, it didn't show Sony again, but 'XBO'. Before he could turn to my direction, I closed my eyes and began to nod to the music from my earpiece.

3. SCREENSHOT: Most original devices take a screenshot when a combination of 'Power+Volume' down or 'Power+Home' buttons are pressed. I assure you that the phone named 'Feiteng' or 'Landvo' or even the subtle 'HDC One' will never respond to this combinations, even if Schwazeneggar was pressing the buttons.

4. PHYSICAL APPEARANCE: Other than the battery type and position, these Clones have slight or huge differences from the phones they imitate. The first thing you should do before buying a phone is to get the phone specifications from a trusted website like gsmarena.com. Run a google search with ' *phone model* specifications ' and you'll get the results you seek. Examples of such differences that can be easily noticed are:
--Screen size: The screen size is usually smaller in the inferior clones by sone inches.
--Screen resolution: At best settings in the camera, a picture taken with a clone will show a smaller resolution in the 'image details' than the original device.
--Operating System: Clones usually come with an earlier version, if not a complete imitation of the Operating System in the original device (Android, iOS or Windows)
--Camera Quality. Clones have a poorer camera, no questions. The picture quality pales in comparison to the real deal. This is not helped by the fact that Clones also have inferior screens.
That's how a female friend was saved by a selfie. She took a selfie with her friend's Galaxy Grand Prime and she so loved it that she was determined to get hers soonest. Off she went to the market for hers, but when she took selfies, she was disappointed by the result. Bottom line is, she almost bought a clone but was smart a little to recognize the difference. Next time she wanted to go for it, we had to go together.

5. HARDWARE INFO: The hardware the device packs under the hood is where the major difference between Clones and Original devices. I left this for last because it takes time to check and you have to be a little tech savvy to find your way about this. Equipped with the detailed specifications of the original phone from gsmarena or any other trusted sites, you can install applications like CPU Z for Androids, System Check for iOS or System Information for Windows mobile. These applications will give detailed information about your phone's hardware. You will notice differences in the following if the device is a clone.
--CPU: Android and iPhone Clones use the cheaper 'Mediatek' processor instead of Qualcomm, Krait, Exynos or the A4,A5,A6,A7,A8 or A9 of iPhone series.
--RAM: Most Android Clones have a smaller RAM (Random Access Memory) than the genuine phones. It is used to temporarily store data that the phone is working with at the moment. Clones usually have RAMs between the 512MB - 1GB range except in iPhone clones where they are somewhat bigger, but never better.
--Internal Memory: Clones, in general, stay away from installing large memory or quality storage devices in phones. So, expect a smaller internal memory in a Clone than in the original device. That's how this Nairalander here was accusing Apple of being stingy with memory by installing 2GB in iPhone 6S. It's either he is confusing the RAM for the Internal Memory or what he is using is a Clone. iPhone 6S only comes in 16GB, 64GB or 128GB memory. Even 32GB variant is a clone.

In my next article, I will be providing an extensive guide on how to prepare for testing a used phone or laptop you want to buy wink

22 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by peppersnacks(m): 11:05am On Jul 11, 2016
OP, good job.

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by DesChyko: 11:08am On Jul 11, 2016
peppersnacks:
OP, good job.

Thanks Man, I appreciate.
Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by Sugarcious(m): 11:17am On Jul 11, 2016
One bottle of ORIGIN for u man. A lot of people need this post.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by Ediss(m): 12:30pm On Jul 11, 2016
As in how?

8 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by Sunnycliff(m): 12:32pm On Jul 11, 2016
Thanks Op

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by mhisbliss(f): 12:34pm On Jul 11, 2016
Lol op funny the Arnold Schwarzenegger part got me loling

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by Fmdipo(m): 12:34pm On Jul 11, 2016
good to know

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by letsbet(m): 12:34pm On Jul 11, 2016
Cool info.
Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by demarc001: 12:35pm On Jul 11, 2016
Interesting
Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by Seuncoded(f): 12:36pm On Jul 11, 2016
JAMB Enables Portal To Check Institution You Have Been Posted For 2016 Admission

https://ngschoolportal..co.ke/2016/07/jamb-enables-portal-to-check.html

Drop Your Registration Number. So We Can Help you To Check Including Your Number To Get Update Asap
Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by Edubrazilnwa(m): 12:36pm On Jul 11, 2016
Choi Emeka offor tinz
Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by LaRochelle(f): 12:36pm On Jul 11, 2016
After reading the article, I realised it is for folks who want to buy used phones. Apply the knowledge...and beware of Computer Village guys, for they standeth in thy way of search, to beguile thee, and they carteth away with thine hard-earned money.

5 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by Emeka71(m): 12:37pm On Jul 11, 2016
But you shall still be duped at computer village.

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by davodyguy: 12:37pm On Jul 11, 2016
Its really not easy knowing as depicted from your images above.

Best option is not to buy from anyhow shop.

Go to Jumia, Konga, Dealdey, etc
Slot,

Innjoo

How many of those checks will you be able to carryout at the local shop?

with a known shop, you get warranty and you can return phone within the first 12 months

3 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by donbugy(m): 12:39pm On Jul 11, 2016
Buy Iphone or Samsung.

I have webmail, smtp, mailers and more.
Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by allthingsfitnz(m): 12:39pm On Jul 11, 2016
nice one bro....
Get free online fitness tips from MeanTrainer Nigeria's No.1 celebrity fitness trainer See my signature
Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by davodyguy: 12:41pm On Jul 11, 2016
Seuncoded:
JAMB Enables Portal To Check Institution You Have Been Posted For 2016 Admission

https://ngschoolportal..co.ke/2016/07/jamb-enables-portal-to-check.html

Drop Your Registration Number. So We Can Help you To Check Including Your Number To Get Update Asap

Will this BS*** help prevent one from buying a cloned phone?

Moderator, Please deal with this advert ASAP
Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by MrImole: 12:43pm On Jul 11, 2016
Hmmm!

Thanks Mr!
Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jul 11, 2016
op I use xbo 02 and the phone is dope
Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by goldfish80(m): 12:52pm On Jul 11, 2016
Op, Running apps like Cpu-z is not enough. These Chinese guys hack the phone registry and upload on it exactly the same specifications with which the originals are advertised.
Hence, running Cpu-z will show you the accurate specs which is just virtual. Shine your eyes!

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by Seuncoded(f): 12:55pm On Jul 11, 2016
davodyguy:

Will this BS*** help prevent one from buying a cloned phone?

Moderator, Please deal with this advert ASAP

Sorry You're brainless this is advert or what Nigeria Student are waiting for I can't blame you buh if it is rihana goes naked you won't complain idiot
Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jul 11, 2016
Who told you that these over-hyped shops dont sell fake?, was it not on this forum someone reported being sold fake charger from one of them?.

Its not only fake phones you worry about but defective originals that have factory flaws and are more useless than the clones.

These shops stock them alot hence their so called cheap prices u think say unfinished and injure na original phone.? angry

davodyguy:
Its really not easy knowing as depicted from your images above.

Best option is not to buy from anyhow shop.

Go to Jumia, Konga, Dealdey, etc
Slot,

Innjoo

How many of those checks will you be able to carryout at the local shop?

with a known shop, you get warranty and you can return phone within the first 12 months
Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by adewumiopeyemi(m): 1:01pm On Jul 11, 2016
ORDER UR PHONE IN JUMIA BEST PLACE TO GET PHONE....please dont forget to check my signature please
Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by Viktor1983(m): 1:09pm On Jul 11, 2016
The Nigerian consumer 's first factor to consider is price...That why they fall mugu easily

2 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by musaajebor(m): 1:10pm On Jul 11, 2016
that was how i was able to haggle down the price of a samsung note 5 frm 25 to 18 thousand naira with one phone dealer.

it was unbelievable i almost exchanged my original note 4 with that crap

na God use this op take save me because i was still dey contemplating it. cos it was so tempting

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by OVA200(m): 1:13pm On Jul 11, 2016
The fastest and surest way is through imei number. just insert the number in imei.info and u get all the information about the phone. BTW nice write up op.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by 0955eb027(m): 1:15pm On Jul 11, 2016
THANK GOD
Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by davodyguy: 1:16pm On Jul 11, 2016
kaeforum:
Who told you that these over-hyped shops dont sell fake?, was it not on this forum someone reported being sold fake charger from one of them?.

Its not only fake phones you worry about but defective originals that have factory flaws and are more useless than the clones.

These shops stock them alot hence their so called cheap prices u think say unfinished and injure na original phone.? angry

You were in a hast to respond, hence missed the part that you have warranty.

Yes I have bought defective phone from Jumia before, cos there are some defects that are from manufacturers and not sellers. They collected it back and replaced for me. Will get that at Computer Village?

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by XX01(f): 1:17pm On Jul 11, 2016
@ OP, Your HTC picture is not true. I used the HTC dual sim phone which was made for the Indian market. I purchased it from the US when it first came out. It had the beatssound logo at the back. Quite authentic. It's the one without that i would be looking at with side eyes.

3 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by davodyguy: 1:21pm On Jul 11, 2016
Seuncoded:

Sorry You're brainless this is advert or what Nigeria Student are waiting for I can't blame you buh if it is rihana goes naked you won't complain idiot

See this brainless toddler. At the end of the day, you direct them to this blog

https://ngschoolportal..co.ke/2016/07/lautech-begins-20162017-pre-degree.html

Indirect means of advertising. Go siddon and stop forming Mungo Park. You're not helping anyone, but rather helping yourself.

You can create a thread to post your BS, but since you're not getting desired attention, you chose to post off Topic. sicktado grin I'm wondering what Jamb has to do with How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands
Mumu, FYI, I'm not a pervert like you that gets excited seeing a naked adult.

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko by ipledge10(m): 1:26pm On Jul 11, 2016
My iPhone 6 Plus is original...I don check,but when I did the factory setting I saw mango logo instead of Apple

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Did MTN Remove N100 Airtime From You, Or More? / Browse Free For one month With Celtel Access Wap. / Tecno L3 Vs P3 - Clash Of The Brothers!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.