Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,324 members, 7,780,806 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:45 PM

Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid (934 Views)

7 Places Christians Should Avoid Visiting / "Christians Should Apologise To Gays" - Pope Francis / Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid by donnffd(m): 11:15am On Jul 11, 2016
This is going to be a list of senseless arguments some christian apologetic's uses to claim God's existence.

Please, if you want to argue with an atheist and want to sound intelligible, avoid these arguments

#1. The Atheistic World-View is Depressing.

I hear this argument alot, if there is no God, then what is the meaning of life?, life is useless and meaningless, why should we be good?, why dont we go around killing people on the streets and raping anything that walks in skirt.

This has to be one of the most unintelligent things i have ever heard of in my life, because something is not pleasing to you doesn't automatically makes it untrue. "Atheism is depressing; therefore, it’s false" is a childish way of looking at the world. A pat on the head might make us feel better, but are we not adults looking for the truth?

Personally, I dont find an ultimate meaning to anything because sooner or later, everything comes to an end but that doesnt mean we should live meaningless lives. it most-certainly doesnt warrant claim that God exists because otherwise Life is meaningless, thats just bad logic.

#2. I have felt God's Presence, that means God exists.

This has Bad idea written all over it. its like saying i have felt a unicorn's presence therefore unicorns exists undecided

I can’t tell whether you’ve deluded yourself or whether you’re justified in believing in a supernatural experience. Nevertheless, your subjective personal experience may be convincing to you, but it won’t convince anyone else. undecided

#3. Science can't explain everything, therefore God exists

The origin of life? Of consciousness? Of the universe? If you don’t have an answer, I do—God did it!

Science doesn’t have answers to some questions, and we’ll have to be patient. But some apologists seem desperate and insistent in their search for answers to life’s riddles. This is because they already have an answer. They started their investigation with an answer.

“Time’s up!” they say. “Pass your tests to the front.”

This apparent eagerness to understand reality is simply a smokescreen. They want to shoehorn in their answer for all puzzles, and science’s answers are irrelevant.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid by Nobody: 11:22am On Jul 11, 2016
issokay...... ayaf eyeard
Re: Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid by donnffd(m): 11:29am On Jul 11, 2016
#4. I’ll believe the first-century eyewitnesses over modern historians.

The Christian gives more weight to writings closer to the events.

The Christian wants license to dismiss unwanted ideas from modern sources. It’s fair to be concerned about the accretion of layers of dogma or tradition over time, but a good New Testament historian would try to do the opposite and strip away these layers to uncover the history of the first century.

As for the “eyewitness” claim, this is often slipped in without comment or justification. None of the gospels claim to be eyewitness accounts. That Matthew and Luke (to take two of them) borrow heavily from Mark—often copying passages word for word—make clear that they’re not eyewitness accounts. And those gospels that do make the claim (the Gospel of Peter, for example) are rejected by the church. Show compelling evidence for the remarkable eyewitness claim before confidently tossing it out.

Of course, getting closer to the events is a good policy. Problem is, this doesn’t work to Christianity’s favor. We’re separated from both Islam and Mormonism by less time than from Christianity. Mormonism in particular fares much better than Christianity in a historical analysis. This is an argument the Christian wants to avoid.

#5. Pascal’s wager.

Bet on God, and the upside is huge. Bet against God, and the downside is huge. Any questions?

The error is in imagining just two choices, Christianity and atheism. In reality, human societies have invented myriad choices, and Christians are in the same spot they imagine for atheists. What if they bet wrong on the Hindu or Roman or Norse pantheons? Or on the Greek or Egyptian or Buddhist afterlife? Do you know how the Buddhist hell looks like?—it ain’t pretty.

It also assumes that the deity will accept an ass-covering “bet on God” instead of authentic belief driven by conviction. Wouldn’t a god be smart enough to see through the insincerity? And notice that Pascal does nothing to provide evidence for God’s existence.

Finally, Bet against God is the logical choice given all the choices availiable, its either there is a God or Not, if you choose no God, you have a 50% chance of being right, if you choose a God, then you would have to choose out of the 5000 gods that humans have worshipped across its civilization(thats even assuming the number is 5000, the real number should be closer to 10,000), that automatically reduces your chances of being right to about 0.025%.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid by donnffd(m): 11:49am On Jul 11, 2016
#6. You will be Sorry

You’re really going to threaten atheists with something we don’t believe in?, why would we care anymore about the Christian hell than the Buddhist hell or the Islamic hell?

And That doesn't help your argument whatsoever.

#7. Citing Bible passages

We know that there is a Judgment Day. Jesus tells us, “Everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken.”

As proof that the Bible makes a particular claim, Bible quotes are fine. I use them myself. But don’t cite a Bible quote as evidence of something important. You realize I don’t consider the Bible authoritative, right?

Personally, i find it to be circular logic, its like proving Harry potter exists using the novels

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid by hahn(m): 11:56am On Jul 11, 2016
Other religions are wrong

Duh! That's what they say about yours tongue

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid by donnffd(m): 12:47pm On Jul 11, 2016
#8. You cant prove Christianity False

You can’t know that God doesn’t exist unless you’re omniscient.

First off, don’t ask for proof. Proofs are for math and logic, not science or history. You can’t prove that God exists, and I won’t ask that of you; I simply want compelling evidence of your claim. And vice versa: ask for arguments and evidence from the atheist, not proof.

More important, the burden of proof is on the person making the claim. Not on the person rejecting the claim.

#9. You really believe in God.

You must just hate God. Or you’re an atheist because you are too proud to bend the knee. Or because you had a bad father. Or you don’t want to give up your hedonistic lifestyle. Or you had a bad experience with a religious person.

There is also an irritating statement that goes around here that claims that atheist contradict themselves by saying two statements:
1. God doesnt exist
2. God is wicked

Following from that logic, we can safely conclude that these arguments are contradictory
1. Superman is not real
2. Superman can fly

1. Spiderman is fictional
2. Spiderman is a hero

1. Snow white is a fairytale
2. Snow white can sing.

These are what people who claim to be intelligent educated people use as counter-argument to atheists...smh

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid by KingEbukaNaija: 1:49pm On Jul 11, 2016
mtcheew .
Re: Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid by ValentineMary(m): 3:47pm On Jul 11, 2016
Nice work boss
Re: Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid by hopefulLandlord: 12:13am On Jul 12, 2016
Checking in cool
Re: Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid by JackBizzle: 4:06am On Jul 12, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:
mtcheew .

Do you always sneeze when your arguments are preemptively debunked?

1 Like

Re: Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid by Amberon11: 4:21am On Jul 12, 2016
seconded.
KingEbukaNaija:
mtcheew .
Re: Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid by Nobody: 8:13am On Jul 12, 2016
*Have nothing to say* I am just a passerby.
Re: Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid by donnffd(m): 9:26am On Jul 12, 2016
#10 Demand for Counter-evidence

Some people would say,the bible and many other first century texts says that jesus raised from the dead. Now where is your evidence that he didnt?!, you dont have?, then i win.

Nope, I don’t have first-century evidence of people arguing that Jesus didn’t rise from the dead, and I’m sure I never will. Is that what you’d expect to see if the Jesus story got embellished with supernatural elements in the retelling—people preserving first-century letters that say that the Jesus story was nonsense?

Let’s imagine that demand in the case of Merlin the magician. The story goes that he was a shape shifter. Are we obliged to accept that as history unless we can find contemporary evidence against it? I propose that we are entitled to conclude that such a remarkable claim needs far more than just an old story to support it.
Ditto the Jesus story.

#11. Nature is intelligible.

Some apologists would ask, "Why is this universe rationally intelligible? … Why is the world rational to begin with?"

Who says the universe is rational? It’s only as rational as it is, which isn’t particularly rational. Christians looks at science’s conquests and dismisses them as not that big a deal, as if they were common sense. No, science has fought a long uphill battle to learn things that are very much counter to common sense: atoms and quantum mechanics, DNA and cells, galaxies and black holes. Science still has plenty on its plate—questions about dark matter, abiogenesis, extraterrestrial life, epigenetics, consciousness, the multiverse, prime numbers, and much more—yet more evidence that declaring the universe to be rational is an inept approximation.

What fraction of the realities of nature do we understand now? What fraction will we? Do humans have the ability to understand everything? This certainly doesn’t look like a reality with a god who designed a simple and obvious universe, smoothing the way for us to understand it all. That is what you get from the Genesis creation stories, but that’s not the way reality actually is.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid by donnffd(m): 9:27am On Jul 12, 2016
ValentineMary:
Nice work boss

Thanks bro
Re: Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid by Dejideji1(m): 12:18pm On Jul 12, 2016
Honestly I still don't understand the cause of the feud between Atheists and Christians on this forum.
Everyday a new topic is created and targeted at Christians. I don't understand the reason behind this deliberate attacks, other religions are there, Why not attack religion as a whole instead of Christianity only? I'm yet to come across a topic targeted at Muslims. @donnffd, i need explanations.

1 Like

Re: Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid by hopefulLandlord: 4:27pm On Jul 12, 2016
Dejideji1:
Honestly I still don't understand the cause of the feud between Atheists and Christians on this forum.
Everyday a new topic is created and targeted at Christians. I don't understand the reason behind this deliberate attacks, other religions are there, Why not attack religion as a whole instead of Christianity only? I'm yet to come across a topic targeted at Muslims. @donnffd, i need explanations.

Its actually simple

Majority of atheists here were former Christians, so they know more about Christianity than most Christians

I am one such atheist and haven't read the Koran so I can't target Moslems as I barely understand them, even if I did, I still won't target them for *cough* you know *cough* *cough* reasons

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid by Dejideji1(m): 4:46pm On Jul 12, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Its actually simple

Majority of atheists here were former Christians, so they know more about Christianity than most Christians

I am one such atheist and haven't read the Koran so I can't target Moslems as I barely understand them, even if I did, I still won't target them for *cough* you know *cough* *cough* reasons

So do you want to tell me that we don't have Atheists that were former Muslims on this forum?

I don't want to start mentioning monikers. They never attack their previous faith. And funny enough they also join in poking holes in the Christian faith.

Lol @the boldened though, you are very funny.

1 Like

Re: Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid by UyiIredia(m): 6:02pm On Jul 12, 2016
There are many questions science can't answer. So talking as if some far-reaching questions would be solved by science given enough time is moot.
Re: Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid by hopefulLandlord: 8:03pm On Jul 12, 2016
UyiIredia:
There are many questions science can't answer. So talking as if some far-reaching questions would be solved by science given enough time is moot.

Religion however gives answers that cannot be questioned, making most religious people in undeveloped countries intellectually lazy
Re: Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jul 12, 2016
UyiIredia:

Brother, what makes you say such

Go back a 100 years and ask the greatest of their time about Dark Matter, Quantum Superimposition, DNA codons and all you'll get is a blank look..........and perhaps a "Security, security, there's a crazy Negro in here sad"

Go back 200 years and talk to them to them about cars, huge flying pieces of metal, a type of "magic" that allows people to communicate with others half the world- yes the world has FiVE major continents, can you believe it FIVE!!!

Goo back 700 years and....well, your head will be hanging on the wall for refusing to bow at the pope's feet or just for being a black pagan......."How can one who god explicitly called the sons of Ham have his most noble Holy spirit"....

Point is; people keep putting limitations on science: oh, science is fine and all but it can explain why I feel extra-charged during times of danger (adrenaline); why lightening sparks occur in the sky (electrical discharge due to clouds) why the mountains came up that way (Gaia's sons; the titans, had a hard-on before they died grin)....

Truth is, science always surpasses the predictions people give it; and always will....

So to utter a supposedly axiomatic statement like that seems............dumb to me.

1 Like

Re: Senseless Arguments Christians Should Avoid by kobosmalls: 12:01am On Jul 13, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Its actually simple

I feel you bro. You've said my mind word for word.

(1) (Reply)

Is LUCIFER Truly The Name Of SATAN??? / Theist And Atheists.. Share Your Views About This.. / The Three Yoruba Visitors Divination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.