Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,666 members, 7,801,921 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:02 AM

Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language (4453 Views)

Complete Primary And Secondary Website Needed / ICT Training Manual For Primary School And Secondary Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by Nascimento(m): 7:30pm On Jul 17, 2016
dhtml18:
I have been trying to hold my peace, but the truth is that I feel like flogging many people on this thread - and I shall if seun gives me an e-cane.

For what now??

Are you guys are that youtube is one of the successful websites built by PHP

You guys should look at this link - https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-top-10-websites-built-with-PHP

Now, the question I will ask you dudes including the OP. Have you built something as awesome as the above with PHP? In short, have you used to PHP to the limits before you start criticizing it?

I am not here to criticize PHP, I am just saying that Nigerian developers are usually lazy, with zero startups or even works to show for their skills.
Instead of spending time criticizing PHP, .NET, Python and the others. You guys should spend your time creating awesome stuffs for us to review.

PHP is not my primary language anymore, that will be JAVA. But again, you will see people shouting that JAVA will die and all that. I have an app in playstore at the moment built with android/JAVA and it is being used worldwide with almost 100,000 users at the moment.
And you know what, the backend of the app is built with PHP/MySQL - yes, i said it. And it has not died till now. And it serves concurrent users without any hassles. And no, it is for a client, and i am under NDA agreement, so i am not going to disclose it - although some nairalanders close to me already know the APP i am talking about.

Yeah, I know that I am very likely to migrate everything to a NODE cloud very soon. But wait, before you start criticizing PHP, how many of you guys have actually created a PHP APP/API serving like a 100,000 concurrent customers?

To do that, you will have to go beyond your conventional PHP programming, and learn so many gaddamn techniques that your code will no longer even look like PHP again.

I am not trying to make anyone feel bad, but you guys should get to work!!!!!!!

On point Dhtml, I'm still learning how to program. One thing in common with average Nigeria programmers is that, they brag and critisize alot with no outstanding portfolio to show.

Languages are just tools, how u use them depends on the project at hand.
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jul 17, 2016
Nascimento:

On point Dhtml, I'm still learning how to program. One thing in common with average Nigeria programmers is that, they brag and critisize alot with no outstanding portfolio to show.

Languages are just tools, how u use them depends on the project at hand.
Right on point, that is exactly what I have been trying to say. So whether it is scala or python or whatever, do your best with it.
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by FrankLampard: 9:51pm On Jul 17, 2016
larisoft:

well...I don't know iroko TV that much, and don't know anyone personally who relies on their services. I could be wrong, but that tells me their client base is still very modest (< 1000 video plays a day). And am I the only one who finds their site painfully slow with so many texts badly colored (Can barely read the caption on their homepage)?

But if its not, I have merely listed the flaws I see in PhP, all of which even though could be worked around, make the language a bad choice for certain projects.

Languages have areas where they shine brightest. If a project's success is heavily dependent on concurrency, efficiency, and core OOP, using PhP is abusing PHP.

But if the project's success is dependent on speed of development, low budget, and ease of maintenance, PHP is the best option I know.

There are people who know better than me about these things on this forumn and my opinions are just what they are: opinions. I change them once I m provided with logical reasons.

My 4 blog posts have been on the front page of nl programming section for days now, and have elicited the reactions of heavy weights I respect so much. That makes me very happy and grateful indeed. I love everything about this industry and doing what I do is an honor.

Your first nairaland post where you didn't make sense.
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by larisoft: 10:20pm On Jul 17, 2016

I have been trying to hold my peace, but the truth is that I feel like flogging many people on this thread - and I shall if seun gives me an e-cane.

For what now??

Are you guys are that youtube is one of the successful websites built by PHP

You guys should look at this link - https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-top-10-websites-built-with-PHP

Now, the question I will ask you dudes including the OP. Have you built something as awesome as the above with PHP? In short, have you used to PHP to the limits before you start criticizing it?

I am not here to criticize PHP, I am just saying that Nigerian developers are usually lazy, with zero startups or even works to show for their skills.
Instead of spending time criticizing PHP, .NET, Python and the others. You guys should spend your time creating awesome stuffs for us to review.

PHP is not my primary language anymore, that will be JAVA. But again, you will see people shouting that JAVA will die and all that. I have an app in playstore at the moment built with android/JAVA and it is being used worldwide with almost 100,000 users at the moment.
And you know what, the backend of the app is built with PHP/MySQL - yes, i said it. And it has not died till now. And it serves concurrent users without any hassles. And no, it is for a client, and i am under NDA agreement, so i am not going to disclose it - although some nairalanders close to me already know the APP i am talking about.

Yeah, I know that I am very likely to migrate everything to a NODE cloud very soon. But wait, before you start criticizing PHP, how many of you guys have actually created a PHP APP/API serving like a 100,000 concurrent customers?

To do that, you will have to go beyond your conventional PHP programming, and learn so many gaddamn techniques that your code will no longer even look like PHP again.

I am not trying to make anyone feel bad, but you guys should get to work!!!!!!!

Lol! Too bad you didnt know youtube was written in PHP IN THE EARLY STAGES, but they moved to Python, and eventually JAVA and GO when things got critical.

And Speed is about the programmer's efficiency? Donald Knuth was the one who said that premature optimization is the root of all evil. Now, when Donald Knuth speaks, I tend to listen. When you are writing code, and optimizing while coding because you are using a certain langauge, is that not a loud cry to change your tools ON TIME? All the technologies that were written in PHP have long ported resource hungry parts of their code to languages like JAVA, C#, C++. I bet they would rewrite the whole thing if it wasnt too late already. Google is our friend in this regard.

As to people criticizing languages and being lazy because of it, how would we learn all the things posted on this thread alone, if not for such criticisms? Would all the newbies reading this thread tell me they have learnt nothing? Would the pros tell me their opinions were not put through fire after all this exchange? In what country do developers not argue about their tools? The likes of Jeff Atwood, Linus Trovalds, Donald Knuth (who has openly criticized modern languages as opposed to assembly languages), even Djikistra for Christs Sake! do it too! What is wrong with exchanging opinions on something we care about?

I am currently working on 3 apps, managing my blog, maintaining a backlog of old apps, responding to user requests/feedbacks. How does the 5 minutes I spend here ranting against a language am heavily using make me unproductive? And yes! I have built something that has been used by thousands of people too! And it was with PHP! And the multithreading was horrible! And the only available solution was worse! Why the hell would I have to use a third party library or create a new instance I have no control of for something as essential as that?

I HIGHLY respect you and your opinion, bro. But you asked questions and I responded.

I recommend we all read these. I don't agree with them completely. but their points are cojent at least;

https://webonastick.com/php.html

https://eev.ee/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/

Even Jeff Atwood has something to say on this issue...
https://blog.codinghorror.com/the-php-singularity/

these men have designed software for millions and when they talk, I shut it and listen! apart from the fact that my personal experience inspired my opinion in the first place.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by ugo2016: 10:31pm On Jul 17, 2016
larisoft:

Lol! Too bad you didnt know youtube was written in PHP IN THE EARLY STAGES, but they moved to Python, and eventually JAVA and GO when things got critical.

And Speed is about the programmer's efficiency? Donald Knuth was the one who said that premature optimization is the root of all evil. Now, when Donald Knuth speaks, I tend to listen. When you are writing code, and optimizing while coding because you are using a certain langauge, is that not a loud cry to change your tools ON TIME? All the technologies that were written in PHP have long ported resource hungry parts of their code to languages like JAVA, C#, C++. I bet they would rewrite the whole thing if it wasnt too late already. Google is our friend in this regard.

As to people criticizing languages and being lazy because of it, how would we learn all the things posted on this thread alone, if not for such criticisms? Would all the newbies reading this thread tell me they have learnt nothing? Would the pros tell me their opinions were not put through fire after all this exchange? In what country do developers not argue about their tools? The likes of Jeff Atwood, Linus Trovalds, David Knuth (who has openly criticized modern languages as opposed to assembly languages), even Djikistra for Christs Sake! do it too! What is wrong with exchanging opinions on something we care about?

I am currently working on 3 apps, managing my blog, maintaining a backlog of old apps, responding to user requests/feedbacks. How does the 5 minutes I spend here ranting against a language am heavily using make me unproductive? And yes! I have built something that has been used by thousands of people too! And it was with PHP! And the multithreading was horrible! And the only available solution was worse! Why the hell would I have to use a third party library or create a new instance I have no control of for something as essential as that?

I HIGHLY respect you and your opinion, bro. But you asked questions and I responded.

You have way too much passion for this programming thing...I envy it.
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by FincoApps(m): 10:46pm On Jul 17, 2016
larisoft:

well...I don't know iroko TV that much, and don't know anyone personally who relies on their services. I could be wrong, but that tells me their client base is still very modest (< 1000 video plays a day). And am I the only one who finds their site painfully slow with so many texts badly colored (Can barely read the caption on their homepage)?

But if its not, I have merely listed the flaws I see in PhP, all of which even though could be worked around, make the language a bad choice for certain projects.

Languages have areas where they shine brightest. If a project's success is heavily dependent on concurrency, efficiency, and core OOP, using PhP is abusing PHP.

But if the project's success is dependent on speed of development, low budget, and ease of maintenance, PHP is the best option I know.

There are people who know better than me about these things on this forumn and my opinions are just what they are: opinions. I change them once I m provided with logical reasons.

My 4 blog posts have been on the front page of nl programming section for days now, and have elicited the reactions of heavy weights I respect so much. That makes me very happy and grateful indeed. I love everything about this industry and doing what I do is an honor.

I'm a regular user of iRokoTV and I can tell you 1 thing.... the website is increasingly getting popular and a lot bigger than you think.... I think their major user base is nigerians abroad
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by larisoft: 10:57pm On Jul 17, 2016
FincoApps:

I'm a regular user of iRokoTV and I can tell you 1 thing.... the website is increasingly getting popular and a lot bigger than you think.... I think their major user base is nigerians abroad

noted, boss. Do you think its slow and the coloring hides some of the text? And it doesnt have an icon? Like the guys behind the veil dont really care that much?
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by oluwaseayo: 6:51am On Dec 11, 2018
A reason to choose us above other options is that we are proficient in what we do. We offer quality services on web development and SEO. Visit us @www.webdev.com.ng

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Graphing In C++?? / How To Create Your First Android App Like Instagram / C++ Vs Java (hilarious Gif)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.