Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,128 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:23 AM

A Corper's Poultry Farm - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Corper's Poultry Farm (6419 Views)

How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? / Newly Constructed Poultry Farm / Farming As A Corper#ugu Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Corper's Poultry Farm by vicdamm(m): 3:03pm On Jul 12, 2016
Hi people, i am a serving corp member in anambra state (awka) and an agriculture addict if i can say that. Although i have tried sereral agricultural activities since January when my service started like cucumber sack farming, ugwu farming and tiny scale fish farming but now i have gotten a place for poultry farming and feel i should share with the public because i would want people to get good information for free and not suffer like me as i have ventured into broiler farming twice about two years ago and failed.
I'm not an expert but i should be able to encourage, motivate and probably epp someone out there. wink
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by vicdamm(m): 3:19pm On Jul 12, 2016
I didn't think of starting this blog before last week so i did not take any pictures of construction but would post pictures of after construction till sell off... Any questions at all can be asked as i am always willing to let you know what i know.

Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by Pavore9: 3:51pm On Jul 12, 2016
Nice one.
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by vicdamm(m): 3:53pm On Jul 12, 2016
Pavore9:
Nice one.

Thanks boss
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by vicdamm(m): 3:53pm On Jul 12, 2016
Now fast forward to today every other thing but the chicks and cleaning has been put in place which made this morning a very hectic one as i had to clean, wash and disinfect the pen while my friends were just there gisting with me... Well, as God win i haff finish.
Please don't mind my grammer as i get forced to watch jenifas diary sumtyms but am trying not to mimic her sha grin

1 Like

Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by vicdamm(m): 5:47pm On Jul 12, 2016
Having done all that i would be washing the feeding and drinking throughs this evening just to be double safe u knw war am sayn.. But in the mean time lemme give you a list of all the items i got for the project and just so you know our chicks would be arriving on friday by God's grace thanks to noeloge82
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by bigomoh: 5:56pm On Jul 12, 2016
How many birds do you intend fitting in there
vicdamm:
Now fast forward to today every other thing but the chicks and cleaning has been put in place which made this morning a very hectic one as i had to clean, wash and disinfect the pen while my friends were just there gisting with me... Well, as God win i haff finish.
Please don't mind my grammer as i get forced to watch jenifas diary sumtyms but am trying not to mimic her sha grin
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by adek6555: 5:59pm On Jul 12, 2016
Following
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by noeloge82(m): 6:41pm On Jul 12, 2016
Waiting for the list

vicdamm:
Having done all that i would be washing the feeding and drinking throughs this evening just to bedouble safe u knw war am sayn.. But in the mean time lemme give you a list of all the items i got for the project and just so you know our chicks would be arriving on friday by God's grace thanks to noeloge82

1 Like

Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by vicdamm(m): 7:43pm On Jul 12, 2016
bigomoh:
How many birds do you intend fitting in there

100 broilers or how many do you think can fit in perfectly?
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by vicdamm(m): 7:45pm On Jul 12, 2016
noeloge82:
Waiting for the list

Ooh sorry.. Coming right away
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by bigomoh: 8:00pm On Jul 12, 2016
vicdamm:

100 broilers or how many do you think can fit in perfectly?
it should be able to take more than a hundred judging by other pens I've seen vis a vis the capacity of birds it contained
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by vicdamm(m): 8:06pm On Jul 12, 2016
And the list goes thus: -
I would put the prices later and would be updating this list as i get any new item so it can be a reference and guidelines to any one that wants to plan or start this in future.

Saw dust -------------------- free
3 bags of feed (top super deluxe)-------------3850 (each)
4 chick feed trays
5 water cans
7 feeding cans
2 wooden feed through
Calibrated bucket (for measurement)
Calibrated Syringe (for measurement)
3 lanterns
Coal stove (if thats the correct name)
5 litre kerosine
Rope (for hanging lantern and feed can)
Broom and parker (do i have to write this)
3 buckets and scoop (for taking water and food to pen)
100kg determination wink

I would have loved to use coal as heat source but i had lanterns since so... And i might not remember all now but like i said earlier i would check and update this list later. And that remiinds me i have searched but didnt find that carton used in brooding chicks but would have loved to use it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by vicdamm(m): 8:08pm On Jul 12, 2016
bigomoh:
it should be able to take more than a hundred judging by other pens I've seen vis a vis the capacity of birds it contained

Well, it was built with 200 or 250 birds in mind
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by alakara(m): 9:19pm On Jul 12, 2016
vicdamm:
And the list goes thus: -
I would put the prices later and would be updating this list as i get any new item so it can be a reference and guidelines to any one that wants to plan or start this in future.

Saw dust -------------------- free
3 bags of feed (top super deluxe)-------------3850 (each)
4 chick feed trays
5 water cans
7 feeding cans
2 wooden feed through
Calibrated bucket (for measurement)
Calibrated Syringe (for measurement)
3 lanterns
5 litre kerosine
Rope (for hanging lantern and feed can)
Broom and parker (do i have to write this)

I would have loved to use coal as heat source but i had lanterns since so... And i might not remember all now but like i said earlier i would check and update this list later. And that remiinds me i have searched but didnt find that carton used in brooding chicks but would have loved to use it.
nice one op.
want to chip in some clues.
use wood shavings instead of sawdust.
also use coal pot or clay calabash for heatin ur doc better than lantern. lantern can be used as light for them.
what is the dimension of the pen.
during hot season u will need to remove the roofing sheets in front.
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by alakara(m): 9:29pm On Jul 12, 2016
nice one op.
also use coal pot or clay calabash for heatin ur doc better than lantern. lantern can be used as light for them.
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by vicdamm(m): 10:35pm On Jul 12, 2016
alakara:

nice one op.

Thanks
I couldnt get good wood shavings but would go farther next time
If i use coal my lanterns would waste sad
I can't remember the dimension accurately but would probably measure it on friday depending on how busy i am and i would still remove the roofing sheet as you suggested although i didn't think of that before.
Once again thank you very much.
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by Gidigidi3(m): 12:48am On Jul 13, 2016
More grease to ur elbow. As some one already said, go and get charcoal cos the whether is cold, lest ur birds die off from cold nd stamped. By the way am here at Awka nd run mine as well.
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by vickychuk(m): 11:59am On Jul 13, 2016
I've never tried poultry before but from what I've learned so far on nairaland. You might be needing that coal heater. I'll advise you get it ready before your chicks arrive the lantern will not heat them effectively, it can however give light to encourage night feeding and thus early maturity of your bird. Cold is the greatest threat to your investment especially in this rainy season. You might also want to store your feed as far as possible from the poultry house.
Following
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by shyenar999(m): 12:06pm On Jul 13, 2016
Did u intend to start with a day old chick (DOC) if no aw old are d chicks intended to rear....from ma view d housing is too large to brood 100DOC
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by vicdamm(m): 12:53pm On Jul 13, 2016
Gidigidi3:
More grease to ur elbow. As some one already said, go and get charcoal cos the whether is cold, lest ur birds die off from cold nd stamped. By the way am here at Awka nd run mine as well.

Ngwanu i have bought it already thanks to you wonderful people now thats what i mean by two heads are better than one wink
Where in awka is your farm as a visit can be a morale uplifter to me.
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by vicdamm(m): 12:55pm On Jul 13, 2016
vickychuk:
I've never tried poultry before but from what I've learned so far on nairaland. You might be needing that coal heater. I'll advise you get it ready before your chicks arrive the lantern will not heat them effectively, it can however give light to encourage night feeding and thus early maturity of your bird. Cold is the greatest threat to your investment especially in this rainy season. You might also want to store your feed as far as possible from the poultry house.
Following
Thanks great info i have gotten it already.. Now i want to google on how to light coal fire as i never do am before and it wouldn't be bad if anybody teaches me o.
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by vicdamm(m): 12:58pm On Jul 13, 2016
shyenar999:
Did u intend to start with a day old chick (DOC) if no aw old are d chicks intended to rear....from ma view d housing is too large to brood 100DOC

Yea 100 DOC would have done more but owo ni koko ( moni no dey)
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by vicdamm(m): 1:12pm On Jul 13, 2016
List of drugs gotten:-
As usual this list would be updated according to how i get them.

Glucose--------------------- N100. ( i wld lick d rest if it remains)
Maxi yield ------------------N400
Doxygen. --------------------
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by vickychuk(m): 11:11pm On Jul 13, 2016
vicdamm:

Thanks great info i have gotten it already.. Now i want to google on how to light coal fire as i never do am before and it wouldn't be bad if anybody teaches me o.

Shey u know that mama that sells corn near your area.. Tomorrow evening just go there to buy corn... Sit patiently for 30mins and you'll no longer require tutorials on how to ignite coal. lolz
But it's as simple as that .

3 Likes

Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by yybuss09: 10:29am On Jul 14, 2016
You should get polythene nylons or cement bags to block off all open spaces in the pen, so that the heat shouldn't escape. And always mind the heat source; the brooding is always the interesting and complex part
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by vicdamm(m): 11:37am On Jul 14, 2016
vickychuk:

Shey u know that mama that sells corn near your area.. Tomorrow evening just go there to buy corn... Sit patiently for 30mins and you'll no longer require tutorials on how to ignite coal. lolz
But it's as simple as that .
Haha naso... Nice one
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by vicdamm(m): 11:39am On Jul 14, 2016
yybuss09:
You should get polythene nylons or cement bags to block off all open spaces in the pen, so that the heat shouldn't escape. And always mind the heat source; the brooding is always the interesting and complex part
Thanks there is polythene nylon on the pen just that it was rolled up in d pic you would see it if u look closely.

1 Like

Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by jay7(m): 11:47pm On Jul 14, 2016
@ Vicdamm contact me on Whatsapp with 08070872196 or call i have a manual for you on broiler production.
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by knowledge4(m): 8:54pm On Jul 15, 2016
starting a chicken farm, whether layers, broilers or cockerel, you need a vet personnel for health administration. this factor is extremely important and must not be overlooked.the initial 6 weeks are the most sensitive period in the life of a chicken. please go engage a vet and have a vaccine plan for the chickens for strict application.
Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by vicdamm(m): 11:25pm On Jul 15, 2016
knowledge4:
starting a chicken farm, whether layers, broilers or cockerel, you need a vet personnel for health administration. this factor is extremely important and must not be overlooked.the initial 6 weeks are the most sensitive period in the life of a chicken. please go engage a vet and have a vaccine plan for the chickens for strict application.
That has been taken care of

1 Like

Re: A Corper's Poultry Farm by obami007(m): 12:12am On Jul 16, 2016
vicdamm:

That has been taken care of

bros I hail o, you said your chicks will come in on Friday, can we see pictures please ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

SOLD!!! Six Acres Of Plantain Farm For Sale In Ogun State / BENUE FARMERS: Lets Meet Here. / "Youth Farm Lab" A New Program Rolled Out By The Federal Government Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.