Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,959 members, 7,806,779 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:46 PM

Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak (6739 Views)

CBN Pumps $195Million To Boost Forex Market, As Naira Firms Up / Naira Appreciates Across Forex Market / Understanding CBN New Policy Actions In Forex Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by Adesiji77: 1:40pm On Jul 14, 2016
Dr. Ayo Teriba, CEO of Economic Associates

Already, the CBN has allowed the interplay of demand and supply to determine the value of the naira. It did that last month. But, you cannot ask any central bank not to intervene in a foreign exchange market either as a buyer or a seller. Central banks intervene in the foreign exchange market and the treasury bill market.

What is wrong is to fix the exchange rate and refuse to create room for market forces to have their way. The CBN, right now, is not the sole seller of foreign exchange. It bids with other operators; you cannot say it should not do that. If it has a reserve to sell, it should go ahead and sell.

The apex bank has repeatedly said that it has allowed for flexibility to come into play. Sincerely, it has. So, we should believe what it said.

Yinka Oyinlola, a former executive of World Bank

Implicit in the question are two fundamental assumptions: the first is that the ‘market’ regulates prices in a rational manner while the second is that economics and its derivative policies are an exact science devoid of other institutional and contextual variables. I believe that these two assumptions are erroneous because two plus two may not necessarily be four in social science, which economics also belongs to.

While acknowledging that the pull of demand and the push of supply create price equilibrium, markets do tolerate other exuberances by players, hence the need for regulatory institutions.

As a social science, Economics follows a logic that is contextual, institutional and human. Consequently, the market – a panacea for economic growth – needs to be contextualised. The state of Nigeria’s economy requires minimal interventionist approach, especially so that we do not experiment with a somewhat new policy that has never been tested.

I do not believe, however, that the new flexibility in the forex policy means that the CBN determines the value of the naira.

Rather, the CBN intervenes when necessary to prevent volatility in the forex market. It has been proved, in the last 18 months or so, that it is not sustainable for the CBN to fix forex rate.

Each country develops at its own pace and the timing of a universal “best practice” policy varies from country to country.

There is the bigger question of the role of the government or the market in the determination of price – talking about free-trade/laissez-faire policy prescription. The reality is that today’s developed countries used a very few of the policies and institutions they recommended to developing countries.

For instance, Britain and the United States used aggressive interventionist policies in the early stages of their development. It was only after they achieved “supremacy” that they started adopting laissez-faire policies.

Prof. Simon Irtwange, President of Chartered Economists of Nigeria

When there is a pegged exchange rate, it means there is a divergence between the official and parallel rates. What that does is that it creates an opportunity for people to get money at the official rate and trade it at the black market. This is how it works; if I get foreign exchange at the official rate to import goods, I may find it more profitable to trade it at a Bureau De Change and get quick money. In that case, those who have access to it at the official rate are those that make money. In that case, some people will be making a lot of money without doing anything – they don’t import, produce or render any service.

Considering this abuse, it is better to allow the market to determine the value of the naira. There is no reason the official rate should be different from the parallel market rate. There should be a level playing field for all operators.

The CBN should only intervene in the market when things are going out of control. But government should rather make policies to minimise the intervention of the CBN. The risk associated with a fully-deregulated market is that if the market goes haywire, prices of goods will hit the roof. This is because of the peculiarity of the Nigerian economy, which is largely driven by the dollar. Anything that affects the dollar affects the prices of goods.

For the purpose of stabilising general prices, the CBN should intervene occasionally. But in doing that, it must not create the opportunity for people to make money without engaging in production. What is appropriate is to create a threshold; the apex bank should intervene immediately the market exceeds its limits.

Bismarck Rewane, Managing Director of Financial Derivatives Company Limited

Market should be allowed to operate freely. But the CBN should intervene to curb excesses and supply shortfalls. There is nowhere in the world where you have a free market.

What happens is that the regulatory body allows the market to find its equilibrium.

Then, it intervenes with the resources that it has when there is a shock in the market.

For instance, if there is a panic and the naira tumbles, the CBN is expected to intervene to protect the local currency. This is because what you have after the panic may not be the true value of the naira.

As long as the intervention is not done arbitrarily to maintain an artificial value, there is nothing wrong in doing that. We should allow the market to determine the true value of the naira.

When the price does not reflect its true value, there should be an intervention to ensure that resource allocation is not negatively distorted.

That is why the current template is called managed floating regime.

The CBN manages the float to ensure that it does not get out of control. It is a hybrid of flexible and rigid market.

Prof. Sheriffdeen Tella, an economist at the Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ogun State

It is only in Nigeria that a central bank hawks foreign currencies. That is not what the CBN should be doing. It should inject or withdraw from the market – depending on the level of supply. The value of the naira is a reflection of the productive capacity of the local economy.

It is only in Nigeria that people consume what they don’t produce and produce what they don’t consume. We produce raw materials and send them out because we “want to earn foreign exchange.”

When you buy almost everything you need as a nation, your currency would be weak. That is why the naira would crash further.

So, the CBN could intervene in the market as it is done all over the world. But it must do that discreetly. It should stop the buying and selling of foreign exchange but intervene when the need arises.

We would not have been in this mess if we had managed our economy well. The situation will continue until we start producing locally rather than importing everything we need from overseas.

We must also ensure that whatever we buy from outside is properly documented. We should not engage in lavish spending.

A lot of things must be put in place before we expect stability.

Kunle Ezun, currency analyst, Ecobank Nigeria

The central bank is a player in any managed float system. So, you cannot say the CBN should not participate in forex market. The question should be how frequent should it intervene in the market.

For a market that is liquid, the central bank should intervene once in a while. In other words, the forces of demand and supply should drive the market.

As it is today, it is expected that the CBN continues to come in once or twice a week. This should continue until foreign investors start participating in the market.

Victor Ogiemwonyi, President of the Association of Issuing Houses of Nigeria

The current forex market regime is expected for a short-term basis. The CBN is leading a market reform.

It represents key market participants and infrastructure that are currently absent.

I believe the regulatory body will have no major role to play in the market once the system stabilises.
http://punchng.com/cbn-intervening-forex-market-financial-experts-speak/ lalasticlala, dominique, Mynd44, Truth234

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by brunofarad(m): 6:51am On Jul 15, 2016
Here to learn ,

Sits down with my paper and pen

Let the class begin

MODIFIED grin
that dude bellow me has a 2 bedroom luxury ensuite accomodation at the hottest part of HELL ESTATE grin
Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by herzern(m): 6:51am On Jul 15, 2016
The person above me may not make heaven.....he stole my spot grin grin

CBN is as confused as Buhari

10 Likes

Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by babyfaceafrica: 6:52am On Jul 15, 2016
Ok
Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by Category1: 6:53am On Jul 15, 2016
I personally think that the CBN should try to read the new one more information contained herein and the other use the other use the way of this message and then you are not be a bit and I can you have to be in this is the way of a few weeks and the other than the way to be able to see if we have a lot of this and that.
Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by emillionaire: 6:54am On Jul 15, 2016
saw this on his morning. Should CBN Be Intervening In The FOREX Market?
Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by Joyce28(f): 6:55am On Jul 15, 2016
Really CBN
Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by donofdons: 6:55am On Jul 15, 2016
let CBN better not keep intervening in this forex market......buhari made me a millionaire because i borrowed 50 million naira from first bank using my fathers estate as collateral at interest rate of 10% per annum...i just changed it to about $250k at 216/$ and just waited till when buhari took over and dollars was at 375 then i changed to naira making over 39 million naira then changing it back to naira at 240 again and then back to naira at 350 making over 30 million again.
Now i have converted my borrowed 50mil to over 150 mill and paid off my debt and am still left with 128 million and someone will come and tell me buhari is not great.
I will die for him anyday

5 Likes

Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by Ngasky(m): 6:55am On Jul 15, 2016
Nigeria needs to set the right priority and stop the unnecessary import regime.
only real manufacturers should be helped , we have 36 states and in each state the real operational companies were known by the officials so that should be the guide to import concessions.
Also government should start a policy of taking over the redundant non operational companies and giving them to serious investors. this is a tough policy, right?
Government should create a new tax on companies i. e. on those that are shut down or non operational.
Any company that did not operate within 10 days should pay the government extra 3% of the companies real value as a tax at the end of the month. and if it is non operational for the duration of 30 days the tax should be 5% of real value apart from the normal tax they pay.
if after 6 months of non operational the government should acquire the company at 50% real value and subsiquently auction it at between 60-70% of its value to other investors.
on the part of the government letter of credit from central bank should be processed from these manufacturers within 48 hours of their application to buy machineries and spare parts from abroad. they dont need to go to FOREX to source for dollars, the letter of credit should not exceed 25% of company's value
because of the taxation and benefits the owners will not want to fake the real value of their companies

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by Pavore9: 6:57am On Jul 15, 2016
It shouldn't, let the market forces determine it. When more Nigerians get engaged in non-oil exports as against wholesale imports, the foreign exchange market will experience some form of stability.
Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by ramalot(m): 6:58am On Jul 15, 2016
smiley
Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by maximunimpact(m): 6:58am On Jul 15, 2016
sure
Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by zizirecords(m): 7:06am On Jul 15, 2016
The forex market in Nigeria is a hoax. Full of criminals and speculators. The CBN will keep intervening till forever while evil bank managers sell the Forex to black market people while making it almost impossible for average people to get Forex.
Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by Spells(m): 7:07am On Jul 15, 2016
Just here to learn,because at the end cbn won't give a Hoot about what I think.
Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by Leviseed: 7:08am On Jul 15, 2016
Who their intervention eep?
Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by bsaying(m): 7:09am On Jul 15, 2016
Last night i sat in my house thinking of the year 2011 when i travelled out and had to change my dollars for 156naira....mehn.......how things have changed... Will we ever get such an exchange rate again?
Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by falconey(m): 7:11am On Jul 15, 2016
they must intervene , there is bound to be market imperfection .
Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by keypad1: 7:12am On Jul 15, 2016
donofdons:
let CBN better not keep intervening in this forex market......buhari made me a millionaire because i borrowed 50 million naira from first bank using my fathers estate as collateral at interest rate of 10% per annum...i just changed it to about $250k at 216/$ and just waited till when buhari took over and dollars was at 375 then i changed to naira making over 39 million naira then changing it back to naira at 240 again and then back to naira at 350 making over 30 million again.
Now i have converted my borrowed 50mil to over 150 mill and paid off my debt and am still left with 128 million and someone will come and tell me buhari is not great.
I will die for him anyday
bros please come and borrow me 1 million naira. I promise to pay back

2 Likes

Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by IMASTEX: 7:12am On Jul 15, 2016
Here to learn from responses
Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by banmee(m): 7:13am On Jul 15, 2016
Pavore9:
It shouldn't, let the market forces determine it. When more Nigerians get engaged in non-oil exports as against wholesale imports, the foreign exchange market will experience some form of stability.

It is their job to intervene. It is just that Nigeria's central bank does not know what it's doing. Every central bank in the world intervenes in it's foreign exchange.
Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by rusher14: 7:27am On Jul 15, 2016
banmee:

It is their job to intervene. It is just that Nigeria's central bank does not know what it's doing. Every central bank in the world intervenes in it's foreign exchange.

Everyday I hear the central bank doesn't know what it is doing.

What exactly do you want it to do?

As long as Nigerians keep importing everything from toothbrush to Brazilian hair the value of Naira would always fall. This would sometimes need intervention from the Apex bank.

Please suggest what you would have done otherwise.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by Reference(m): 7:32am On Jul 15, 2016
You can only intervene in something you own because that is the extent to which your influenece goes. So what is the CBN's share/ownership of the forex market?
Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by Tuljaking(m): 7:34am On Jul 15, 2016
Urgent And Perfect Photoshop Master Needed Fot An Urgent Job by Tuljaking : 7:24am what'sapp 07068782269.......plesae it's urgent.
Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by TEYA: 7:37am On Jul 15, 2016
Category1:
I personally think that the CBN should try to read the new one more information contained herein and the other use the other use the way of this message and then you are not be a bit and I can you have to be in this is the way of a few weeks and the other than the way to be able to see if we have a lot of this and that.
What are you trying to say? You are not making sense.

1 Like

Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by Ademusiwa1: 7:40am On Jul 15, 2016
grin

[size=28pt]all others are fake.[/size]
Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by Nobody: 7:48am On Jul 15, 2016
In a country where the only source of dollar is earn from crude export but import almost everything. How will their be equilibrium between demand and supply for the green bag since the demand outweigh the supply. CBN continue intervention will do no good until Will export more or reduce our import

2 Likes

Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by Nobody: 7:51am On Jul 15, 2016
keypad1:
bros please come and borrow me 1 million naira. I promise to pay back
You believe what he wrote up there? Lol

1 Like

Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by 989900E: 8:24am On Jul 15, 2016
Dr. Teriba and Prof. Tella already said all what I need to hear . . . by and large though, they are all saying the same thing.

1 Like

Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by banmee(m): 9:44am On Jul 15, 2016
rusher14:

As long as Nigerians keep importing everything from toothbrush to Brazilian hair the value of Naira would always fall. This would sometimes need intervention from the Apex bank.

That is a dumb question to ask. You might as well ask me to splint a compound fracture. You know they don't what they are doing because the forex situation I'm Nigeria is getting worse. It is no different than when America had it's last recession and they knew what they were doing.
Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by aloeman15(m): 9:52am On Jul 15, 2016
I had to take you up on this.
I've written on this before.
1. The ban on 41 items killed the naira. I was bemused at the time that very few people could see the effects.
I would've given That list a ban schedule of 3-6 months, with a 30day notice on increased import tax by up to 50%.
2. What have dollars sold by the cbn since june 2016 been used for? Even the cbn doesn't know.
I would've partnered with both customs and firs to set up monitoring teams to verify imports and charge the appropriate taxes on the imports up front.
3. What incentives are there from govt for those who want so build infrastructure? Hardly any.
I would reward good behaviour with tax breaks, low interest loans and repayment holidays. This easily attracts interested firms and even fdi.
4. What on earth is causing the in the release of govt palliatives- 200b for smes, 350b economic stimulus, many others?!
I would just tell (informally, of course) smedan, man, chambers of commerce, etc to lobby/pester their nass reps to force the issue.
5. How many msmes can access loans from commercial banks?
Simply tie their msme loan books to govt contracts- you want access to contractors' mobilization fee? Then show me a full loan book to small businesses in your operating communities, confirmed by local business charters and even opposition political parties.
Most of these ideas only require policy statements, without spending money and even earn money for govt through taxes.
rusher14:

Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by rusher14: 10:16am On Jul 15, 2016
banmee:

That is a dumb question to ask. You might as well ask me to splint a compound fracture. You know they don't what they are doing because the forex situation I'm Nigeria is getting worse. It is no different than when America had it's last recession and they knew what they were doing.
I asked for a suggestion. Criticism is easy.
Re: Should CBN Be Intervening In Forex Market? Financial Experts Speak by banmee(m): 11:04am On Jul 15, 2016
rusher14:

I asked for a suggestion. Criticism is easy.

I didn't want to have to say this because Nigerians hate hearing the truth but you force my hand. The problem with the forex exchange market is the same trouble that plagues the entire country. Nigeria is just too corrupt for anything to work. What you all are experiencing right now is a culmination of half a century of bad governance and worse still, bad citizenry. There is nothing that can be done unless there is a fundamental shift in the way Nigerians think and do business. A nation can never thrive when they are at a level of corruption that Nigeria is. Haven't you noticed that not one, not two, but every single facet of life in Nigeria does not function? That is not a coincidence. You all might as well sit back and enjoy the hellish ride.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What's d Best And Profitable Businesses To Start In 2013, Earn Income In Nigeria / Consult us & Register Your Business Today For Loans And To Achieve Legal Entity / Nigeria Inflation Drops To 7.9% In November – NBS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.