Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,069 members, 7,807,204 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:03 AM

"I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka (47327 Views)

Igbo Ekunie Initiative: Another Pro-Biafra Agitation Group Emerges In Nigeria / Evander Holyfield Fights Bola Tinubu In Lagos, Wole Soyinka Is Referee-pm NEWS / Pro-Biafra Supporters At London Hospital In Search Of Buhari (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by ojsmscom(m): 6:09am On Jul 15, 2016
Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka has, again, explained his support for Biafran agitators.
Soyinka said the Igbo people have been so wronged that they have no choice than to consider opting out of Nigeria.

Prof. Soyinka spoke on Al Jazeera, yesterday where he shed light on his support for Biafra agitators.

“I am very much pro- Biafra because I recognise that the Igbo have been wronged desperately.
“They have been brutalised in a way that justifies their feeling that they were not part of the nation.
“Let me also say this, Biafrans are not entirely innocent in this affair. They were not, but the unleashing of such venom, such devastation on them as a people, was sufficient to justify their decision not to be part of the nation.
“I was pro-Biafran in the sense that I felt that they needed justice.”

Soyinka denied he was a troublemaker, especially in the Biafran crisis, but added, “I grew up in certain circumstances being very conscious politically, in this very Abeokuta; my mother was involved in the politics, my aunt, Mrs. Funmilayo Ransome Kuti was a leader…
“I grew up among political arguments on issues that concern humanity and I find that basically gravitated towards recognising the basic worth of human beings.
“Something I disagree when they call me a patriot because I don’t agitate on some certain entity called a nation; I agitate on humanity.”
He criticised the removal of History and teaching of the Biafran crisis in schools.
“Officials do not want to confront their own history, especially the history in the making of which they feel uncomfortable but, if you do not confront your past, you are going to mess up your future.”
On Boko Haram and the breakup of Nigeria, he said ironically, Boko Haram might be part of the reasons Nigeria may stay together.
Soyinka said a few years ago, he would have agreed that Nigeria would break, but, now that a section of the country is in trouble, there is some kind of pulling together. He added that the conscience of many Nigerian has been awakened such that they cannot abandon that section of the country.
He urged Nigerians to recognise the plurality of Nigeria, how it came together and begin to devise and adopt a method of governance which cannot only be of massive decentralisation. “That way, we can stay together. If we continue to have a centralist government, then, Nigeria is on the brink.”

http://sunnewsonline.com/im-pro-biafra-soyinka/

79 Likes 10 Shares

Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by eleojo23: 6:12am On Jul 15, 2016
Soyinka just dropped a bomb.
Another Nigeria/biafra civil war will begin on this thread shortly...

61 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by metalDETECTED(m): 6:14am On Jul 15, 2016
Add source pls.

Modified.

Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka has, again, explained his support for Biafran agitators.
Soyinka said the Igbo people have been so wronged that they have no choice than to consider opting out of Nigeria.
Prof. Soyinka spoke on Al Jazeera, yesterday where he shed light on his support for Biafra agitators.
“I am very much pro- Biafra because I recognise that the Igbo have been wronged desperately.
“They have been brutalised in a way that justifies their feeling that they were not part of the nation.
“Let me also say this, Biafrans are not entirely innocent in this affair. They were not, but the unleashing of such venom, such devastation on them as a people, was sufficient to justify their decision not to be part of the nation.
“I was pro-Biafran in the sense that I felt that they needed justice.”
Soyinka denied he was a troublemaker, especially in the Biafran crisis, but added, “I grew up in certain circumstances being very conscious politically, in this very Abeokuta; my mother was involved in the politics, my aunt, Mrs. Funmilayo Ransome Kuti was a leader…
“I grew up among political arguments on issues that concern humanity and I find that basically gravitated towards recognising the basic worth of human beings.
“Something I disagree when they call me a patriot because I don’t agitate on some certain entity called a nation; I agitate on humanity.”
He criticised the removal of History and teaching of the Biafran crisis in schools.
“Officials do not want to confront their own history, especially the history in the making of which they feel uncomfortable but, if you do not confront your past, you are going to mess up your future.”
On Boko Haram and the breakup of Nigeria, he said ironically, Boko Haram might be part of the reasons Nigeria may stay together.
Soyinka said a few years ago, he would have agreed that Nigeria would break, but, now that a section of the country is in trouble, there is some kind of pulling together. He added that the conscience of many Nigerian has been awakened such that they cannot abandon that section of the country.
He urged Nigerians to recognise the plurality of Nigeria, how it came together and begin to devise and adopt a method of governance which cannot only be of massive decentralisation. “That way, we can stay together. If we continue to have a centralist government, then, Nigeria is on the brink.”

Source:

http://sunnewsonline.com/im-pro-biafra-soyinka/

Lalasticlala

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 6:29am On Jul 15, 2016
Ok.
Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by Ciscogod(m): 6:35am On Jul 15, 2016
I do not support Biafra... but I'm in full support of regional government. I love our population we can get something good from it. I love the people from the zone not only that I schooled there , they are industrous

It will make every region to sit up and think outta the box of what to do to improve her economy.

The government is too far from the people.

The government should start from the local government down to the federal government not the other way round.

Local government like obi/akpo in rivers state or ikeja in lagos state should be richer than Abuja cos nothing happens there.

164 Likes 8 Shares

Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by ExAngel007(f): 6:38am On Jul 15, 2016
And so?
No be new thing na.
Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by Kenneth205(m): 6:51am On Jul 15, 2016
ExAngel007:
And so?

No be new thing na.

I tire o
Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 7:03am On Jul 15, 2016
This man is making so much sense as usual.

He is representing the views of majority of Yoruba people.

I won't say more than that so that itchy finger mods won't ban me again for supporting secession.

128 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by Raydos: 7:11am On Jul 15, 2016
someone that doesn't believe God exists! when will this man stop drinking ogogoro!

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by babyfaceafrica: 7:12am On Jul 15, 2016
Is that all?
Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by omenka(m): 7:16am On Jul 15, 2016
Edited:

Before I go chop ban for "supporting" Biafra.

5 Likes

Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by idensko(m): 7:17am On Jul 15, 2016
U surely knew ur Parents very well

All theses Nairaland Yorubas you see hear are Togolese

Whom their Single grand Mothers migrated into here

Believe them in your own peril.

67 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 7:20am On Jul 15, 2016
Soyinka ....I love you.

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by idensko(m): 7:20am On Jul 15, 2016
attackgat:

And if regionalism does not ever come, what will you support? The status quo?

Biafra came about because the North did not want true federalism. Biafra was declared by Ojukwu because the agreement on a confederation that was signed in Aburi Ghana was flagrantly breached by Gowon and his Northern cohorts. As long as the core North is part of Nigeria, true federalism will never come back because we all know they will vote against it at the national assembly.

Personally, I want my 50 million strong Igbo nation to be independent. We don't need Nigeria or some of the minorities in Southern Nigeria who are still shouting 'our oil!'. We need our freedom to Govern our selves. It won't be easy in the beginning but nothing good comes easy anyway.

One Origin bitter 4u

I don't still get where this self acclaimed sophisticated pple got this OJUKWU murdered innocent Igbo's from

This is a man who clamored for true federalism

An agreement was signed and this pple refused to obey an agreement.

Igbo's were being Murdered in the North

He was left wit no Choice than to declare an independent State of Biafra.

And the Nigeria govt backed by d West moved their Tanks into our border.

He did what every true born Igbo Son will do

Fight back when pushed to a corner.

If that is what is called chest beating

I Pray oh God, from this day hence forth, may I never seize to Chest beat.

In mama peace words

IKEMBA IS GONE BUT HIS MANHOOD STILL LIVES ON

D Greatest IGBO HERO EVER LIVETH

270 Likes 24 Shares

Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by hisgrace090: 7:20am On Jul 15, 2016
Yes true federalism is the way to go.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by OXYZ: 7:21am On Jul 15, 2016
True federalism is the way to go,it would increase productivity due to rivalry among the federating state.It is also a means of diversifying the economy but it has its other side,some region/state can grow so powerful for the federal government to control just like what happened in the past when the south west was competing with the federal government.

1 Like

Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by attacker321: 7:23am On Jul 15, 2016
God will bless Wole Soyinka.

Sometimes I wish this man will live forever; the man is just too much.

I get very surprised when I see people pretending that they don't know how the Igbos have been victimised and marginalised in this country.

Even the useless idiotic president binhari went berserk on national TV asking 'What zo zee Ibos want?'

At Buhari's age he is still behaving like a toddler playing with sand, truly age is not maturity.

Buhari could have easily won over the east side by sticking to his words that he belonged to everybody and belonged to nobody but from what we have seen so far, Buhari belongs to the hausa/fulani of the far north. As far as he is concerned, zee Ibos can to hell!

In this country today they have an unwritten law that they will never allow an Igbo man become president so tell me why as an Igbo man I should want to remain a Nigerian? Why should I want to remain in a country where I am classified as 5% and the sons of futa jallon classified as 97% first class citizens?

Yakubu Gowon out of wisdom has said that the emergence of an Igbo president will heal Nigeria but will they listen? No!

Nigeria has a date with destiny and time will tell.

The union that will last is the one that is built on mutual understanding and respect not by fire and force.

Binhari, thank you very much for your divisive, wicked and vindictive government.

cc Dearpreye.

141 Likes 11 Shares

Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by roughdiamond(m): 7:24am On Jul 15, 2016
I want to say this not just because I am an Igbo **** The minds of the people have been beclouded with hatred. I was at Cele express(in Lagos) in 2012. when I asked one man to shift for me on a seat that he was the only occupant there, he just told me "you no say Ojukwu don die, I will kill you here and nobody will fight for you" I quickly alighted from the bus and searched for another one. When I visited my brother in Jos, an Hausa man came to buy something from our shop and after serving him, I requested for my money. He just told me "Nyamri do don doya you think say here na your place" and threatened me. Here at Aba, one soldier and one man were misunderstanding each other one day (though the soldier was wrong) and when people gathered, they exclaimed "so na Hausa man go come here come do wetin? No one is always interested in the cause but the tribe involved . The worst is that even children now grow with it.****

87 Likes 8 Shares

Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by evilapc: 7:27am On Jul 15, 2016
It's only parasites who love sucking others blood that hates being in its own.

Parasites are usually the ones screaming one Nigerian, not because they love you, but because they can't survive without you

136 Likes 9 Shares

Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by BossKratos: 7:29am On Jul 15, 2016
grin

E be like say one nna babe don dey wind soyinka under code oh?

This his new statement goes against his nationalist credentials! Anyway igbos are going no where we must all strive to make naija work! No dodging!

We shall all love one another by fire by force! Kongi park well!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by Caseless: 7:31am On Jul 15, 2016
I see...
Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by attacker321: 7:36am On Jul 15, 2016
Caseless:
I see...

Nigeria's unity is negotiable---Wole Soyinka.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by Ciscogod(m): 7:37am On Jul 15, 2016
attackgat:

Biafra came about because the North did not want true federalism. Biafra was declared by Ojukwu because the agreement on a confederation that was signed in Aburi Ghana was flagrantly breached by Gowon and his Northern cohorts. As long as the core North is part of Nigeria, true federalism will never come back because we all know they will vote against it at the national assembly.

Personally, I want my 50 million strong Igbo nation to be independent. We don't need Nigeria or some of the minorities in Southern Nigeria who are still shouting 'our oil!'. We need our freedom to Govern our selves. It won't be easy in the beginning but nothing good comes easy anyway.

I understand you bro...

I'm yet to see a homogeneous country. Let all southerners push for true federalism.

If we have a united southern nigeria. I think our dream can be achieved

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by Musiwa419: 7:38am On Jul 15, 2016
BossKratos:
grin

This his new statement goes against his nationalist credentials! Anyway igbos are going no where we must all strive to make naija work! No dodging!

Prof Wole Soyinka has always been an exponent of Self Determination. He was jailed for two years by General Gowon during the Civil War because of his involvement in the Biafran struggle.

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by attacker321: 7:38am On Jul 15, 2016
Tonyebarcanista, Mizmycoli, Truckpusher, Ugomba, Ikechu1, Dollyak, Setaje, Beremx, Gbawe, aresssa, passingshot, modath, Ishilove and the honourable lalasticlala. cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by idensko(m): 7:39am On Jul 15, 2016
attackgat:

Na dis our Oil pple dey piss me off.

I keep on telling pple

How many oil does Japan have

How many Oil does China have.

Dre is no investment dat is bigger than human capital.

That d Igbos hv in abundance.

I don't want a Biafra with this our Oil pple, period.

Ijaws are not pple to hv a common thing wit.

After all dre is massive untapped Gas reserve in d east, we have a bit of everything including d so called crude.

AKWACROSS is way to go, at least CALABAR has no oil, and if AKWAIBOM shout our oil, u let them drink it alone.

This pple has existed in harmony with the Igbos for a very long time.

Geographically dey are more SE than the Igbos.

No wonder dey were given the Second in command during Biafra war.

Mi one cent

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka by Oksman(m): 7:40am On Jul 15, 2016
BossKratos:
grin

Omo you pull me with your stunt o
you b real, naija for life no shaking...Lol.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Governor Fayemi Meets Yakubu Jimoh John, The Pap Producer / Governor Uzodimma’s House Set Ablaze in His Hometown, Omuma / Militants Threaten To Attack Niger-Delta Governors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.