Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,178 members, 7,780,248 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:18 AM

Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? (87437 Views)

Do You Remember Your 2go Username ? / Remember These Facts As You Go Through Life / 17 Childhood Insults You’ll Only Remember If You Were A Lagos Brought Up Ajepako (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by DabFrankNG: 10:22pm On Jul 15, 2016
uplawal:
Pls who can help me get all these books and post them to Uk for me, am missinmg home seriously,i will pay for transport and in conveniencies,thanks.
I can. Whatsapp me on 08132232989

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jul 15, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:
I've been going through the thread and can't help it but cry;
What happened to Nigeria?
What happened to our educational system??
What happened to our teenagers and young adults
How come, exam malpractice have become this attractive and so many other questions? God please heal and restore our nation.
Nigeria is gone with the wind and when I see what is being taught in primary and secondary schools these days. My heart just bleeds.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by amanikondo: 10:25pm On Jul 15, 2016
I read all. I even read Bible from cover to cover when I no see anything read again.

5 Likes

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by amiskurie(m): 10:27pm On Jul 15, 2016
Explorers:
At all, except these...
I always remember the quote "awa ti aje akoni je meje."
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by julioralph(m): 10:28pm On Jul 15, 2016
jagua nana

a man of d people (chief Nanga and odili) cheesy

trials of bro jero

and so many others mehn. #TimeFlies

2 Likes

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by jasmines(f): 10:28pm On Jul 15, 2016
My unforgettables:
The passport of mallam Illa, The last duty, The Great Odenigbo,Things fall apart
grin cheesy
Please who knows where I can buy them again cry

2 Likes

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by AnanseK(m): 10:30pm On Jul 15, 2016
Ishilove:

This took me down memory lane. Wow!!

I also remember another one written by Cyprian, about an old man struck with a spell of the wandering disease. Each time someone mentions Sokugo, the old man loses his senses and starts wandering upandan distant lands. I have forgotten the name but the plot has stayed with me all these years.

Ekwensi also wrote," People of the City" and " Jagua Nana" which was mainly in Pidgin English. You must also remember "Toads for Supper" by Chukuemeka Ike.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by BraniacX(m): 10:31pm On Jul 15, 2016
I remember many of these books, am i that old? shocked but truly, it is books purloined from my dads study, the european classics and african pre-colonial history that stole and exercised my imagination the most hence those i remember vividly e.g homers iliad, lamb tales by geoffry chaucer, of course the shakespear litany, emma, nothanger abbey, pride and prejudice, a tale of two cities etcetera etcetera grin but pardon me this thread isn't for them, our african writers wrote in a very appealing way that i only came to appreciate as i grew older, shelved my neo-colonial/european fancies and came to term with my africaness.
A certain writer from Nigeria wrote a play in which the devil or esu was a character whose purpose was causing strife and confusion and he/she wore a dual coloured garment half white half black evenly split down the middle and he walked in between a farmer and a hunter who only saw him from opposite sides seeing one colour each and while commenting on the garment an argument started about its colour while the devil walked away chuckling to him/herself and when the argument was ebbing he walked back from the opposite direction in between the farmer and the hunter again reversing the sides and the colour seen by each individual and on realising they were wrong they started apologising to each other then refusing to accept the others apology insisting they were each wrong then getting suspicious when the other refused to agree that they were initially right and then fighting each other accusing the other of trying to drive them crazy while the devil was praising himself on his prowess as an adversary and reciting his legend and he said and i quote it is i whom "having thrown a stone today, killed a bird yesterday" cheesy
That impressed my young mind, it still impresses me today cool
Unfortunately, I have forgotten both the name of the book and the writer embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by eye2sabi(m): 10:34pm On Jul 15, 2016
hephzibahbeulah:
Who remembers "My father's car"? ...second hand motor, help me push am...

Chai I've been searching for this book for years now lol. The car always seem to break down in presence of their jealus neighbors. Lol

I remember one week one trouble. I remember when Wilson brought a plastic snake to class and shouted "snake" making his classmates totally confused. I remember at the end of the term, he came out 1st or 2nd (can't remember again). His senior frnd told him "be among the top dogs and no one will expel you".

I remember one eyed Sunday in the smuggler.
I remember when Eze had to eat cold bitter leaf soup on Eze goes to school.

Mehn passport of malam illia was immense. I remember the game he had to play just to marry the daughter of the king(maybe just a chief but I knw she was royalty). Illia simply hid till one big guy killed all other fighters, the guy then took his own dagger and stabbed himself and it bent. He threw it away, he stepped on this same dagger which helped illia win him (illia no gree kill the guy. Big mistake).

Now I remember gulivers travels. This isn't an African book but it was a nice book too. Guliver traveled to any lands, from the land of dwarfs to that of giants. Lovely book.

I really miss my youth. Just this afternoon I posted on my fb wall that people should go read their old chats on Facebook messenger and see how crazy/foolish/lover boy/girl they were then.
Time really waits for no one.

4 Likes

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by laikas: 10:34pm On Jul 15, 2016
Ishilove:

Yeah I remember this one. The twins were separated at birth over Mina's father's refusal to allow poor Richard marry his daughter.
pls hw do i get to read these book again,,

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by amiskurie(m): 10:35pm On Jul 15, 2016
Who remembers Tunde On The Run?

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jul 15, 2016
Amusaopeyemi:

These ones are my unborn children's copy. grin grin. They will read mommy's copy like I read my mama's books
I can help you get it in bookshops around my area. It shouldn't be more than 500naira each.
Funny you.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by DabFrankNG: 10:39pm On Jul 15, 2016
Hmm! These books are worth keeping for life. Humour, wisdom, culture, great stories, African proverbs.....
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Droyal(f): 10:40pm On Jul 15, 2016
Ishilove:

Who can remember the other books written by Agbo Areo?

I think there was one titled "Director"

I really want to read "Time changes yesterday day" and "The second chance" again .

Are pacesetters books still available in bookstores?
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by DabFrankNG: 10:40pm On Jul 15, 2016
Wow! Such great books.

I can get and send them to you anywhere in the world.
Whatsapp me on 08132232989.

Who has read The Last Duty and The African Child?
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by yokiti: 10:40pm On Jul 15, 2016
Ishilove:

The part that got me was when the boy's father spat into his hands and asked him to lick it embarassed embarassed
I so much love this book.
Have you read all or any of these?
Solomon's Certificate.
The Young Breed
Where is the Princess?
The Wives Revolt
You will Remember Me.
Gulliver's Travel
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jul 15, 2016
[quote author=Ishilove post=47575332][/quote] she had polio. And there was an antagonist in the book. I loved it
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by taohiid: 10:41pm On Jul 15, 2016
Eze go to school
The gods are no to blame
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Boldstar(m): 10:43pm On Jul 15, 2016
Love this thread. Had a bunch of nostalgia while reading thru. So many memories awoken

2 Likes

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Boldstar(m): 10:46pm On Jul 15, 2016
yokiti:

I so much love this book.
Have you read all or any of these?
Solomon's Certificate.
The Young Breed
Where is the Princess?
The Wives Revolt. By Kongi
You will Remember Me. Etc

I remember 'The wives revolt' when the whole wives in a community revolted and stopped carrying out their wife duties to their husband. So funny.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by sipsip(m): 10:47pm On Jul 15, 2016
Yuneehk:
My favourite was "second chance".. I read that book so many times. Rich Mina Erein and poor Richard Pepple with their twin girls cheesy

Wow... you just put me in a pleasant memory lane. Stubborn Richard Pepple and helplessly in love Mina Erein...

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by sipsip(m): 10:48pm On Jul 15, 2016
Yuneehk:
My favourite was "second chance".. I read that book so many times. Rich Mina Erein and poor Richard Pepple with their twin girls cheesy

Wow... you just put me in a pleasant memory lane. Stubborn Ajegunle boy, Richard Pepple, and helplessly in love Ikoyi girl, Mina Erein...
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by yokiti: 10:49pm On Jul 15, 2016
armadeo:

Ure chokwe my boy. When teacher Steve's fiancee saw the missing money stuck in a drawer.

The teacher that used to sign on the cut edge of yam.

Erugo iyama the boy who always had oil from ' akara' on his lips.

This was a really touching story. Loved it.
You have really summarised the book o.
What is the name of the person that caught the thief that stole his classmate's school fees?

2 Likes

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by BraniacX(m): 10:49pm On Jul 15, 2016
Orikinla:
OP, thank you.
These were the books of our generation. The intellectual generation.
We loved to read.
We were more well bred and disciplined.
We produced Ben Okri, Festus Iyayi, Isidore Okpewo, Karen King-Aribisala and other illustrious authors.

I was wondering when someone was going to mention those two , see ehn! for an air headed romantic kid who believed in happy endings as i did back then, these african writers and the authors of european classics my dad had in stock really wounjured me with their unsatisfactory endings, anyway that woke me sooner to reality than i would've wanted. Damn! I miss my innocence like WTF was that ending in last duty by mike okri? That wasn't cool! Not cool at all

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Begino1: 10:55pm On Jul 15, 2016
can't we get the soft copies of these books?

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Boldstar(m): 10:56pm On Jul 15, 2016
junnyjake:
If I'm to be honest, I've read only about 12 of the books here, and thanks ishilove for the walk down memory lane, growing up in the 90s, I consider that a blessing.

Growing up, I was reading only African authors, no foreign books. That was all I was provided with then, mostly pacesetters.

My all time favorite was and would be 'the cyclist' I can't remember the author though.

The next one was 'no condition is permanent.' A really unique plot. These are bo oks I would read over and over again.

I read many pacesetter novels too. They were so interesting. The virtuous woman was a pacesetter

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by BraniacX(m): 10:56pm On Jul 15, 2016
2prexios:

Good book there.

when I read the boy slave I was moved to tears.

Bottled leopard, Sugar girl, Wilson tagbo, the drummer boy, the return of shetima (sequel to the boy slave) then I moved to Ivanhoe, King Solomons mine, adventure of Tom Sawyer, Oliver twist, weep not child and so on.

We did had a blessed childhood God.

Ma nigger! cool
Books like king solomons mines weep not child, cry the beloved country and others set in africa always made me feel like but i should be able to identify with them, this or that should be familiar and so on.................. Nothing like a child's imagination wink

3 Likes

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Samguine: 10:56pm On Jul 15, 2016
jasmines:
My unforgettables:
The passport of mallam Illa, The last duty, The Great Odenigbo,Things fall apart
grin cheesy
Please who knows where I can buy them again cry

I have Things Fall Apart and the Passport of Mallam Ilia smiley
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by seankay(m): 10:58pm On Jul 15, 2016
Explorers:
At all, except these...
can I download this book online?
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by DabFrankNG: 11:01pm On Jul 15, 2016
eye2sabi:

Mehn passport of malam illia was immense. I remember the game he had to play just to marry the daughter of the king(maybe just a chief but I knw she was royalty). Illia simply hid till one big guy killed all other fighters, the guy then took his own dagger and stabbed himself and it bent. He threw it away, he stepped on this same dagger which helped illia win
Now I remember gulivers travels.
That game was Shanshi. The lady later died miserably. He saw the big guy serving food in the train much later and pushed him to death.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by junnyjake(m): 11:01pm On Jul 15, 2016
Boldstar:

I read many pacesetter novels too. They were so interesting. The virtuous woman was a pacesetter

Started reading that, but I'm not sure if I finished it. anyways, I must read it again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

On The Run (A Blockbuster Series) / My Crony / Slaves In The Soul : A Novelette

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.