Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,660 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:03 PM

Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? - Literature (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? (87970 Views)

Do You Remember Your 2go Username ? / Remember These Facts As You Go Through Life / 17 Childhood Insults You’ll Only Remember If You Were A Lagos Brought Up Ajepako (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by mrtayesynchro(m): 12:23am On Jul 16, 2016
MidasTouche01:
I love Ralia the sugar girl And Footsteps in the Dark, by Theresa Meniru

The [b]Bottled Leopard [/b]is also exciting, I read more than 7x

Koku baboni?
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Nobody: 12:23am On Jul 16, 2016
Bluette:
Violence by Festus Iyayi

The English magazine: "I have never read anything which touches the raw flesh of abject poverty and cruel exploitation so continuously, yet ones final impression is of courage, spirit, loyalty and indomitable love and humanity... A tremendously powerful novel. "

Idemudia, Adisa...

I av read ds book countless tyms
What a book! Memories.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by armadeo(m): 12:24am On Jul 16, 2016
Disneylady:
I love

"Tunde on the run"

" An African Night's Entertainment
"The boy slave"
Mother's choice
Ralia, the sugar girl
Etc

Tunde on the run.
another classic.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Yuneehk(f): 12:25am On Jul 16, 2016
junnyjake:

That's cool.
I use duolingo and some learn Spanish books.
Lovely. Maybe you'll help me with learning sometime. It's time to crash...
Buenos dias hun
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by litetias(m): 12:28am On Jul 16, 2016
Coldfeets:

Point of correction. Social media did not fück up anything. This is life. It's called advancement. Asking for anything less is technically, retrogression.

I'm sure if you were to asked by someone now to start watching only B&W TV or start using those gramophones that our parents used to do Alanta, you will tell the person what tha fückkk?!!!

So that's just the way it is. Today we have Facebook and Twitter. Tomorrow who knows... But does that mean we will keep on longing for the good ol' days?

Hell no!

I say forward ever; backward never!

A deep thinker or a true seer will tell u that with technological advancement comes detachment from true humanity and true enjoyment of the important things of life.

Now because of this "advanced era" people live false and fake lives on Facebook, Twitter and instagram unlike the days of gramophone when people were real and simple.

These days humans have turned to robots because technology has pervaded every aspect of our lives making us artificial and unreal.

You close from work and are relaxing with ur wife but she is pressing her phone and u are pressing ur own and there's no real intimacy because both of u are more interested in fake friends on social media than a real husband or wife in real life.

The world is heading for something else.

So be careful what u wish for.

6 Likes

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by mrgafari(m): 12:29am On Jul 16, 2016
Yuneehk:
My favourite was "second chance".. I read that book so many times. Rich Mina Erein and poor Richard Pepple with their twin girls cheesy
yeah. Richard was a strict parent while the girl brought up by Mina was spoilt. I can't quite remember how the book ended

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by junnyjake(m): 12:29am On Jul 16, 2016
Yuneehk:
Lovely. Maybe you'll help me with learning sometime. It's time to crash...
Buenos dias hun
¡Buenas Noches!
Hasta Luego.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Nobody: 12:30am On Jul 16, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:
This thread is a breath of fresh air,a total deviation from the normal tribal squabbles and party talks!
Yes,i remember reading most of these books as a student. Admittedly a handful of them left lasting impressions on my mind.
One week One trouble was my favourite novel in the Children and Adolescent course in my English class. How can i forget my boy Wilson Tagbo aka Mr Trouble. I was so scared he was going to be expelled from school due to his weekly misfortunes and troubles.
I read The Concubine like every Six months,that is one of my favourite African literature.
I also remember reading the Bottled Leopard in primary school.
I read The Joys of Motherhood in my Feminism class and i almost shed a tear for Nnu Ego's plight. That woman passed through a lot of pain.
The only Second Chance i remember is the one written by Buchi Emecheta.
I also read Akin the Drummer boy as a child.
I'm a proud English/Lit graduate till tomorrow. Reading broadens your mind and has the ability to take you across experiences and places.
I must tell you these books really shaped me. The gods are not to blame, violence, joys of motherhood, Lára the sugar girl. Oh God please back this innocent memories when life was seen and interpreted from the pages of humility, honesty and love. Any child who read these books and ventures into crime cannot be remedied.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by piagetskinner(m): 12:31am On Jul 16, 2016
Never liked reading all those stories...apart from african nights entertainment, drummer boy and one other one I cannot remember like that
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Nobody: 12:32am On Jul 16, 2016
vhickky:
it was a very nice book... I cried at the end.... Try reading 'efuru'
I actually cried too, joys of motherhood. What a book. Nnuego saw hell.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by armadeo(m): 12:34am On Jul 16, 2016
Yuneehk:

I believe you. I used to be very careful grin so mine either got lost, torn or someone took it to read and never returned it

Hehehe you too read! Haba mana grin

The term voracious was used to describe me then. I just leave this entire planet and enter my own world then.

I remember when I unearthed my mother's hardley Chase collection men I was almost insane with joy. She had about 3 large cartons filled with novels. I read them all.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by litetias(m): 12:38am On Jul 16, 2016
junnyjake:

Christmas in the City, the runaway bride(i don't like this one). no condition is permanent (spectrum publishers). The gun merchant, the rat race. And many more I can't wave my head around currently.

Later on I started reading lantern (their matured stories of course) smiley

the pirate, beyond intimidation ati bee bee lo.

No more time to read like before sha.

We also had The Runaway Bride and No Condition Is Permanent in our collection but please give me a little reminder of the plot of No Condition Is Permanent
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by linconoyee: 12:39am On Jul 16, 2016
I'll die for mama
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by litetias(m): 12:40am On Jul 16, 2016
armadeo:

The term voracious was used to describe me then. I just leave this entire planet and enter my own world then.

I remember when I unearthed my mother's hardley Chase collection men I was almost insane with joy. She had about 3 large cartons filled with novels. I read them all.

So have you read The Vulture Is A Patient Bird and No Orchids For Miss something?

2 Likes

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by mrgafari(m): 12:40am On Jul 16, 2016
charlescarlos:
The boy slave was about Shettima who was kidnapped and sold to a faraway land. He became friends with the prince of the land after he saved him from a ferocious guard's horsewhip. The sequel was The return of the boyslave.
Koku Baboni I think was about a baby placed in a basket and dumped in a forest.
The late Mabel Segun- My father's daughter.
wow. boy slave! shettima. how can I forget matamba! the frightening guard
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by inaiduna(m): 12:45am On Jul 16, 2016
You are talking about Mai Sunsaiye, Rikku's dad, He was the one who had the wandering tribal disease of the fulanis, because they placed a curse on him, it was not at the mention of the word sokugo, but it was rather as a result of seeing birds take to flight. The title of the Novel is BURNING GRASS smiley a beautiful piece by Cyprian Ekwensi, other beautiful books also I consider timeless in value.

1. A MATTER OF UPBRINGING - DIMEJI POPOOLA
2. SO LONG A LETTER - MARIAMA BA
3. A PLAY OF GIANTS - WOLE SOYINKA

Ishilove:

This took me down memory lane. Wow!!

I also remember another one written by Cyprian, about an old man struck with a spell of the wandering disease. Each time someone mentions Sokugo, the old man loses his senses and starts wandering upandan distant lands. I have forgotten the name but the plot has stayed with me all these years.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by mrgafari(m): 12:46am On Jul 16, 2016
Bluezy13:
I can bet on it that only very few people read that book "The Joys of Motherhood"
saddest book I ever read. the children who did not cater for her ended up spending fortunes on her burial

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Handsomecole(m): 12:48am On Jul 16, 2016
Let's not also forget "The Trial of Mr Johnson", "Weep not Child", @ OP good work. Wonderful memories when school was about reading. So glad I was born in the late 80's and grew up in the 90's...
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Harmvirus(f): 12:48am On Jul 16, 2016
Memories
I've read Without a silver spoon, African night entertainment, the virtuous woman, the joys of motherhood, one week one trouble,the drummer boy and the bottled leopard.

Also "the maids are not blame", "the lucky chance" and "such is life"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Nobody: 12:48am On Jul 16, 2016
Ok dear,i would inshaAllah,
DabFrankNG:

I can. Whatsapp me on 08132232989
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by litetias(m): 12:50am On Jul 16, 2016
Buchika:
Evbu my love.
The blackmailer
The smugglers .
Bloodbath at lobster close
The undesirable element.
The worshippers.
Wages of sin
Agony in her voice.

and so many others I can't remember of hand.
Lord!!! @ op u really sent me back to early 90s

I have read The Smugglers and The Blackmailer both by Kalu Okpi, Wages Of Sin but my best is The Undesirable Element where that rich man got that schoolgirl pregnant but denied the pregnancy then the girl later got married to that young guy who dealt with the rich man.

Memories of more than 20 years ago. When men were boys. Sighs

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by junnyjake(m): 12:56am On Jul 16, 2016
litetias:

We also had The Runaway Bride and No Condition Is Permanent in our collection but please give me a little reminder of the plot of No Condition Is Permanent

lol. You really want to refresh your memory Uh? No p

Pius was a professional diver, so a certain Mr femi wanted to use him for a project, he played Pius, scammed him and Pius had no choice than to follow, because MR femi had something on him.

Pius later had to find out that he was being used by femi along side the minister to obtain treasures from a capsized ship.

So they tried all means to eliminate him, but they failed.

so enthralling, guess my younger sister still have the hard copy.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by junnyjake(m): 12:57am On Jul 16, 2016
litetias:

Pius was a professional diver, so a certain Mr femi wanted to use him for a project, he played Pius, scammed him and Pius had no choice than to follow, because MR femi had something on him.

Pius later had to find out that he was being used by femi along side the minister to obtain treasures from a capsized ship.

so enthralling, guess my younger sister still has the hard copy.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by UIA04(f): 12:57am On Jul 16, 2016
Ishilove:

Who can remember the other books written by Agbo Areo?
Yeah i remember this one very well Kikikiki

Ade was born the only thing male child, with a silver spoon and his mom wanted him to travel abroad to London for his secondary education to show off like other rich families, even though his dad objected at first

When he got to the school he meet kamrudeen and kam's girlfriend, who used to take drugs and drink and they introduced him to it.

His mom had to travel back to bring him in shame because he became an addict
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by armadeo(m): 12:59am On Jul 16, 2016
litetias:

So have you read The Vulture Is A Patient Bird and No Orchids For Miss something?

Of course.
No orchids for miss blandish.

I think I have read all Chase books. I remember that vulture is a patient bird about the rimg with poison I think.

Blandish was about the kidnapped daughter of a rich man that the fat woman forced to love her son. She killed herself at the end.

My favs

All books with Helga rolfe, safer dead. Coffin from Hong Kong, a lotus for miss quon, you find him I'll fix him.

Many many more.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by MidasTouche01(m): 1:04am On Jul 16, 2016
mrtayesynchro:

Koku baboni?

Dt story so also epic...... my heart bleeds when I see the literatures pupils read in schools nowadays....
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by mrgafari(m): 1:06am On Jul 16, 2016
Coldfeets:

Point of correction. Social media did not fück up anything. This is life. It's called advancement. Asking for anything less is technically, retrogression.

I'm sure if you were to asked by someone now to start watching only B&W TV or start using those gramophones that our parents used to do Alanta, you will tell the person what tha fückkk?!!!

So that's just the way it is. Today we have Facebook and Twitter. Tomorrow who knows... But does that mean we will keep on longing for the good ol' days?

Hell no!

I say forward ever; backward never!
I beg to disagree with you. reading is totally different from the browsing we do on the internet these days. the writers of old told stories that broadened our horizons and shed more light on the world as we grew up. some things I couldn't learn from my parents or my teachers, I learnt in these books. the confidence to mull over a new word, and decide that I could know its meaning by context, I learnt in these books. reading elechi amadi,emecheta,Achebe,obi in a way made me understand ibo friends even before I met them.
the internet can give all these. but right now, it doesn't. there's too much gossip and irrelevancies. too much noise. too much fawning over other people's lives and lifestyles. what we are saying is that there needs to be more literature, be it books, in print or in whatever form. it's not a call to revert to the stone age.

4 Likes

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by UIA04(f): 1:08am On Jul 16, 2016
hephzibahbeulah:
Who remembers "My father's car"? ...second hand motor, help me push am...
Meeeeee lool

The day the boys father first brought him to school in the car the teacher said 'sir, your son has been doing exceptionally well in school' and the boy was like isn't this the teacher who used to call me block head before
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by litetias(m): 1:12am On Jul 16, 2016
armadeo:

Of course.
No orchids for miss blandish.

I think I have read all Chase books. I remember that vulture is a patient bird about the rimg with poison I think.

Blandish was about the kidnapped daughter of a rich man that the fat woman forced to love her son. She killed herself at the end.

My favs

All books with Helga rolfe, safer dead. Coffin from Hong Kong, a lotus for miss quon, you find him I'll fix him.

Many many more.

You are right about the plots.
I have read a lot as well. I think Helga Rolfe was in I Hold The Aces. Then there is one I loved so much about a shooting instructor who was paid by a rich man to teach his son to shoot but his wife later ran away with the boy.

There is also one about a rich man who lost his brother and was looking for voodoo to bring his brother back
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by UIA04(f): 1:12am On Jul 16, 2016
Bluezy13:
Hnmmm...

Among the overlisted, the most touching is [b] The Joys of Motherhood". Won't forget what Nnuego had to pass through
Yes it made me cry. It thought me not to depend on any one,not even your children.

Enjoy your life while you still can and don't be scared to take risks like adaku the second wife

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by litetias(m): 1:15am On Jul 16, 2016
junnyjake:

so enthralling, guess my younger sister still has the hard copy.

Was it the one that he dived and found some wooden head artwork?
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Nobody: 1:20am On Jul 16, 2016
Pls email soft copy to me i take God bless you,its titialayo25@yahoo.co.uk,thanks.
Boldstar:

Please!!! Email softcopy pls

taofikadetoro@gmail.com

Hard copy by courier. I'll pay for the fee. Plss
Pls!!!! God mama you with blessings grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (21) (Reply)

Three Paths / Lethal Matrimony / Last Gang Standing (Crime)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.