Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,411 members, 7,781,192 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:26 AM

Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia - Foreign Affairs (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia (58974 Views)

Military Coup In Zimbabwe: Zim Army Announcer "It Has Moved To Another Level" / Photos Of People Against The Coup In Turkey / Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by hotwax: 12:28am On Jul 16, 2016
Turkish national TV broadcasted that the sponsor of the coup is one ayatollah forah..I didn't get the name.

I thought ayatollah are Shiites...very confusing

Edited

His name is fetulah gullan

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by 50calibre(m): 12:28am On Jul 16, 2016
hotwax:

When you are seeing it, how does Russia comes in here ?

What business does Russia has with this issue

Yes I saw him on face time.

What's your argument? Ignoramus...

Shut d FCK up and stop unnecessary argument.

Hahahahaha So it's safe to assume all you know about Turkey is what you're seeing right now??

You've shown yourself to be completely clueless...
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by tdayof(m): 12:28am On Jul 16, 2016
csamii:

Yeah! He's in my kitchen and I'm trying to make for him a delicious meal.

This coup is internal. U.S, Russia has no hand in this sh*t.
Exactly!! Ahelicopter was shot down by a F16 some minutes ago. Still waiting for NATO response to that.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Missy89(f): 12:28am On Jul 16, 2016
Shym3xx:

I thought you said it's western backed? How come Obama has come out to denounce the coup and reinstate his support for Erdogan?

Now matter the end game, I don't think Erdogan will sur

I said the west will want it to be successful. Obama public statement makes me feel like it failed. It was an opportunity to get rid of a frenemy. It is always 50 50 anyway.

2 Likes

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by plaetton: 12:29am On Jul 16, 2016
Shym3xx:

Lol.

But you supported floating and also asserted that the naira would fluctuate for a bit, then peak at around N250 to $1.

I support floating, but I never said nor deluded myself that Naira would settle at N250.
Nope.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Shym3xx: 12:30am On Jul 16, 2016
50calibre:

Military takeover could have been a viable solution if Nigeria had a well organised and functional military unfortunately, Nigeria is too divided along religious & ethnic lines for any form of cohesion. Even the military is divided among themselves

One way or the other, there will always be an aggrieved party.

Nigeria is hopeless I'm afraid, except there's a recolonisation

Lol.

So you prefer an all out civil war then cos that looks like what the other option would be.

Anyway, there's the regime change option there and that looks like the most likely route. But the military would've been the best option since they can just declare martial and throw the current constitution into the bin. And promulgate a decree to restructure the system of government.

1 Like

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Appleyard(m): 12:30am On Jul 16, 2016
Missy89:

What new song? Do you understand the difference between a geopolitical situation and an internal power play ?

If this is sucessful, how do you think it benefits Russia? Lmao. Better get back to eating Putin's poop.

It benefit Russia like hell... You won't see thousands of your deposed uncle's terrorists freely crossing over the border into Syria anymore. The army would make sure of that. Secondly, the Syrian terrorists would no longer be receiving arms enmass by road, like they use to do. This would in turn hamper much of the terrorist free flowing network of weapons from Turkey, thus their overall level of sophistication and fighting spirit. For every military regime are very sensitive to their borders. So, they would now have to rely much on US weapons air-dropping for its various so called moderates. In a nutshell, it would make the cost for Assad and Russia easier while dealing with the terrorist threat. Again, for the military to woo the public minds over the more, they will have to kick start a reset with Russia for the sake of the Turkish already dwindling economy. Those 3million tourists MUST return to Turkey as a matter of urgency, while the already "caveat emptor" goods like vegetables and other goods, MUST find their way back to the ever waiting Russian market. At the end, the only loser would be Erdogan and his family of thieves. It would also give Russia a Passive sense of vindication having labelled Turkey's Erdogan as a terrorist sponsoring state. The free ISIS oil trading that has been going through Turkey, would also take a significant hit, to the benefit of the Russian, Nigerian, OPEC, etc, oil market. In fact, as we speak, prices are already ascending on the global oil chart.

Now you can see why there is a benefit in the offing. cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by vedaxcool(m): 12:30am On Jul 16, 2016
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by scully95: 12:31am On Jul 16, 2016
Shym3xx:

I thought you said it's western backed? How come Obama has come out to denounce the coup and restate his support for Erdogan?

Now matter the end game, I don't think Erdogan will survive for long.

trust obama to quickly switch sides.. they did that during gambia's failed coup..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Missy89(f): 12:31am On Jul 16, 2016
Appleyard:

It benefit Russia like hell... You won't see thousands of your deposed uncle's terrorists freely crossing over the border into Syria anymore. The army would make sure of that. Secondly, the Syrian terrorists would no longer be receiving arms enmass by road, like they use to do. This would in turn hamper much of the terrorist free flowing network of weapons from Turkey, thus their overall level of sophistication and fighting spirit. For every military regime are very sensitive to their borders. So, they would now have to rely much on US weapons air-dropping for its various so called moderates. In a nutshell, it would make the cost for Assad and Russia easier while dealing with the terrorist threat. Again, for the military to woo the public minds over the more, they will have to kick start a reset with Russia for the sake of the Turkish already dwindling economy. Those 3million tourists MUST return to Turkey as a matter of urgency, while the already "caveat emptor" goods like vegetables and other goods, MUST find their way back to the ever waiting Russian market. At the end, the only loser would be Erdogan and his family of thieves. It would also give Russia a Passive sense of vindication having labelled Turkey's Erdogan as a terrorist sponsoring state. The free ISIS oil trading that has been going through Turkey, would also take a significant hit, to the benefit of the Russian, Nigerian, OPEC, etc, oil market. In fact, as we speak, prices are already ascending on the global oil chart.

Now you can see why there is a benefit in the offing. cool

Lol. You are a very clueless person.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by csamii: 12:33am On Jul 16, 2016
buJu234:
I think its wrong for a coup d dat in this 21st century.
If u are not ok with the existing government then go the ballot vote and vote.

If ur view is among the majority then u can change the government, if not plx stay with the democratic elected government. .

Simple not coup,

I think Egypt sisi example is a bad example for the world society.

This isn't about liking the government of the day, it's about restructuring the country.
Erdogan is messing up things in the country. From pushing for an Islamic state to his incompetency to protect his people from terror organizations to jailing of top military officers.

The man has stepped on toes and he has to go.

1 Like

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by csamii: 12:34am On Jul 16, 2016
tdayof:
Exactly!! Ahelicopter was shot down by a F16 some minutes ago. Still waiting for NATO response to that.

NATO doesn't respond to internal crisis.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Shym3xx: 12:35am On Jul 16, 2016
Missy89:

I said the west will want it to be successful. Obama public statement makes me feel like it failed. It was an opportunity to get rid of a frenemy. It is always 50 50 anyway.

But as crazy and erratic as Erdogan is, he has been a loyal servant to the west, apart from the refugee crisis which he turned into a business for easy money. What other leader would be suicidal enough to be used to shoot down a Russia plane, when no other country would dare try it?

They know they can't get anyone else who'll be as loyal as he's. So I doubt it came from the west. Even the way the coup was executed shows it had nothing to do with the west.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by hotwax: 12:35am On Jul 16, 2016
New

Some protesters are coming out to support the coup plotters.

I knew it will get to this.

1 Like

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Shym3xx: 12:37am On Jul 16, 2016
scully95:

trust obama to quickly switch sides.. they did that during gambia's failed coup..

But the coup looks too tacky to be western backed, especially with the NATO forces there. If it had been western backed - it would've been from the top.

I believe those responsible are mostly junior officers.

2 Likes

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by TheShopKeeper(m): 12:39am On Jul 16, 2016
the coup attempt has done one thing...give some certain section of the turkish population to protest against the government of President Erdogan...the president will not be the same after this.

1 Like

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by NairaMinted: 12:41am On Jul 16, 2016
Now this is getting really messy.

1 Like

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Appleyard(m): 12:42am On Jul 16, 2016
Shym3xx:
So, Kerry is in Moscow?

This is getting interesting.

But why's the US holding Erdogan back from running to Germany? Merkel has already offered him asylum. grin
. Some folks down here still think this could have happened without the prior knowledge and acquiescence of US and Russian secret services. I still cant picture the deal the two enemies are up to over in Syria. Believe me, we are going to see more interesting scenarios from now on.

Erdogan and Turkey is now the chessboard centre for the two greatest geopolitical players the world has ever known. Interesting rimes ahead, man. cool

1 Like

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by hotwax: 12:45am On Jul 16, 2016
Turkish police are now arresting those plotters.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Nobody: 12:45am On Jul 16, 2016
Shym3xx:

But the coup looks too tacky to be western backed, especially with the NATO forces there. If it had been western backed - it would've been from the top.

Yes.
It's the colonels who are behind the coup attempt.
I'm also hearing that the Turkish police are still loyal to Erdogan while some parts of the military are in favor of the coup attempt
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by 50calibre(m): 12:45am On Jul 16, 2016
Shym3xx:

Lol.

So you prefer an all out civil war then cos that looks like what the other option would be.

Anyway, there's the regime change option there and that looks like the most likely route. But the military would've been the best option since they can just declare martial and throw the current constitution into the bin. And promulgate a decree to restructure the system of government.

There will be no civil war, Nigeria has outgrown that stage. Tensions would simmer for a while, there would be minor conflicts here & there but that's about it. Ultimately, Nigerians would have no choice but to adjust to whatever misery and hardship is thrown their way.
Nigeria isn't in a position it's never been before.

Regime change would be nice but how do you go about it without causing problems? Who should take over?

The Nigerian military aren't like the ones you see in Egypt, Tunisia, Indonesia or Turkey.... These are the most brutal, unintelligent elements you could possibly imagine. Military ruling Nigeria right now would be like sending Nigeria back into the 60s & 70s. They would run the Nigerian economy into the ground in one month.

Nigerians would have to be careful so they don't jump from frying pan into the fire.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by tdayof(m): 12:45am On Jul 16, 2016

1 Like

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by NairaMinted: 12:46am On Jul 16, 2016
There is a memo making the rounds about a joint strike force between the US and Russia against ISIS. This comes at the heels of a thaw in relation between Russia and Turkey. And now this coup in the midst of all of Erdogan's transgressions.

I don't know what more to think may be ongoing in the background. We can only monitor and wait as events unfold

1 Like

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by scully95: 12:47am On Jul 16, 2016
Shym3xx:

you are right... western backed coup usually come in colour revolution and after months of planning or even years or massive media control and so on.. erdogan seems to be atop of his game in turkey makes such very hard for the western typical coup so if the colour revolution style failed.. which it did.. remember erdogan threatened several times to shut down all social medias back then when the color revolution style was gaining grounds and he managed to suppress it.

this makes a military coup inevitable and yes, junior officers too could run the show.just like ibb did during buuahri/idiagbon... if you remember very well,idiagbon was out of the country when it happened. for the west, erdogan leaving the throne for a more submissive puppet is long over due...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Missy89(f): 12:48am On Jul 16, 2016
NairaMinted:
There is a memo making the rounds about a joint strike force between the US and Russia against ISIS. This comes at the heels of a thaw in relation between Russia and Turkey. And now this coup in the midst of all of Erdogan's transgressions.

I don't know what more to think may be ongoing in the background. We can only monitor and wait as events unfold

Lmfao.

Moonwalker
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Appleyard(m): 12:51am On Jul 16, 2016
lookingbuoy:

The same way he has exposed and disposed of all your Nigerian leaders who are pocketing your resources and allocating the Treasury to themselves? Why are you pulling theories out of a shallow bag to justify your poor thinking?
. It is clear you know nothing about what has been happening in Syria and its environs. Just take a seat and reminisced on what might have led to this coup. When you are through, come back and tell me whether your theory is just or simply out of poor thinking . Good lick.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Nobody: 12:52am On Jul 16, 2016
A Turkish intelligence source is telling CNN that the coup has been 'defeated'
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by OohLalah(f): 12:54am On Jul 16, 2016
'it really goin' down in the DM, 2016!

Fucken Western Elites using the puppet America to kill half of the world population by creating instability in the Arab world, knowing fully well these Muslims are as mad as hell and will turn their sick anger against everyone and everything. Thus creating a stage for a Marshall law all over the world assuring the New World Order.

America had to act cause Putin is their headache and getting Turkey on Putin's side would have bruised their non existing ego. Nonsense!

Well we'll watch and see how this unfolds but civil war is a sure thing in turkey now.

Only American puppet Muslim countries are left untouched. Hope the US won't cry when the chickens come home to roost. Datsall!
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Appleyard(m): 12:55am On Jul 16, 2016
plaetton:

Actually, ISIS depends 100% on Turkey for supplies and trade.
Besides, the Turkish army is in the best position to totally annihilate ISIS.

Please tell the many zombies we have down here.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by OohLalah(f): 12:57am On Jul 16, 2016
CFCman:
A Turkish intelligence source is telling CNN that the coup has been 'defeated'

Hope this news is true. cheesy cheesy

Cannot wait to see US's disappointment and Erdeguan's retaliation to NATO the evil organization.

Aluta Continua! Putin watching closely cool
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Turco: 1:00am On Jul 16, 2016
Dear People of Nairaland,

Hello from Turkey. I am Turkish National, living in Turkey. I've been following this forum for more than 2 months and I've been being a member of this forum for more than 2 weeks. I just wanted to state a comment here. There are 81 cities in Turkey and this attempt is happening only in 2 cities of country. Ex-president is on air, and he says; ''Turkey is neither a Latin American country nor an African country. There will be no coup in this country. This is just an attempt from bunch of soldiers who are minority in army.'' This is very unusual to Turkish democracy. We have no idea what is going on at the moment but usual life is still going on. We're just watching TV channels and following Twitter about the situation. So everyone must calm down. Nothing is happening. We can be against the government or with the government but we're all against the coup. Current president, current prime minister, current head of parliament was on air. In a coup, it is not possible. So, we're just watching the news. You can ask anything you want.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Appleyard(m): 1:00am On Jul 16, 2016
Missy89:
Why do i have a feeling this coup wont be a sucess. Taking too long

Looks like military lacks leadership
. There is a divide in the military. But one thing is now certain, Erdogan is gone for good.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply)

Dubai Becomes World's First 100% Paperless Government (Photos) / Moldova President's Dog Bites Austria President's Hand During Visit (Photos) / War In Ukraine: The Teenagers At War With Only Three Days Training (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.